Would You Date An Atheist?

Thunderian

Superstar
How Does "Jesus is the only way to the Father" equate to God accepting only those of the Christian Faith? Jesus never spoke of "the Christian Faith". He only spoke of the OT Hebrew Covenant of God and how he came to fulfill it.
Jesus said, No man comes to the Father but by me.

Read also his prayer in John 17 to understand his view of himself as the only way to God.

Violette

Star
Definitely not, it won't work out long term even if you try your hardest to make it work. Why work hard to make a relationship like that work when you can find someone who believes the same things you do? I just broke up with my boyfriend of three years because of this. It was so frustrating being with someone who couldn't confidently believe in anything.

Todd

Star
Jesus said, No man comes to the Father but by me.

Read also his prayer in John 17 to understand his view of himself as the only way to God.
That's not what I am asking. I agree that Jesus is the only way to the Father. I just don't equate that statement to "God only accepting those of the Christian faith". You are missing the point of the question...

Thunderian

Superstar
That's not what I am asking. I agree that Jesus is the only way to the Father. I just don't equate that statement to "God only accepting those of the Christian faith". You are missing the point of the question...
Wow, Todd. You got me. Guess I have it all wrong. The Bible has actually been saying, "Hey, believe whatever you want. God awards salvation to everyone anyway."

Violette

Star
You are probably right. Understood. I still think you are claiming the Bible says something when it;s just good common sense/wisdom that says you shouldn't date an Aethist. But we are on the same page either way.
2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

Todd

Star
Wow, Todd. You got me. Guess I have it all wrong. The Bible has actually been saying, "Hey, believe whatever you want. God awards salvation to everyone anyway."
???
2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
I wonder how Paul felt about Jesus hanging out with, adulterers, thieves, swindlers and other various sinners?
Oh that's right, Paul might not have even been aware who Jesus hung out with, because he never bothered to find out what Jesus was like in the flesh from the guys who spent the most time with Jesus.

Violette

Star
???

I wonder how Paul felt about Jesus hanging out with, adulterers, thieves, swindlers and other various sinners?
Oh that's right, Paul might not have even been aware who Jesus hung out with, because he never bothered to find out what Jesus was like in the flesh from the guys who spent the most time with Jesus.
Mark 2:15-17 "And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
Jesus hung out with sinners to turn them away from sin. He didn't hang out with them so they could tolerate each other's differences and expecting their fellowship not to taint each other's morals.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Mark 2:15-17 "And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
Jesus hung out with sinners to turn them away from sin. He didn't hang out with them so they could tolerate each other's differences and expecting their fellowship not to taint each other's morals.
I think there is a difference between love for the lost and the choice of the right person to share the journey with...

Paranoia Daily

Veteran
I think this is more of a 'Bible' kind of question... If you reject the Bible, the point is moot (unless we are talking about Muslims, Jews, Hindus etc dating atheists, I guess...)
Whats the difference? Because they do not believe as Christians do? Well at least the tunnel vision still exists. We are right and everyone else is wrong....Good luck with that one.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Whats the difference? Because they do not believe as Christians do? Well at least the tunnel vision still exists. We are right and everyone else is wrong....Good luck with that one.
Sorry for the confusion - that's why I backtracked and mentioned other people of faith. This particular point is over whether those who share different convictions about Gods existence should date / get married...