Would You Date An Atheist?

Todd

Star
If y'all are serious it is to be yoked. And you cannot date without the intent of finding a spouse. It would be extremely unBiblical.

What are you going to do? Take her out to dinner so you can work your way up to holding hands with her? And then "not be looking for anything serious" so you take a long string of women out to dinner and work your up to holdings hands with them?

There is no point in dating without the intent of finding a spouse- not from a Biblical way of doing things. The hedonistic idea of dating a bunch of people just to date a bunch of people is absurd and makes no sense Biblically. It's just a pretense for fornication.
Maybe for young people that is the case. But did you ever think about older single people. Maybe widow's and widowers that are just lonely and want to enjoy dinner, movie or maybe company with someone else, but aren't neccessarily interested in re-marrying, or a sexual relationship?

Don;t get me wrong, I think it is wisdom for young people to only date when they are ready to find a spouse, and for beleivers to only date other believers. However that is different then saying something is Biblical, when the Bible doesn't specifically address it. If I'm mistaken and the Bible does address dating, I would love for you to share the verses with me.

Etagloc

Superstar
Maybe for young people that is the case. But did you ever think about older single people. Maybe widow's and widowers that are just lonely and want to enjoy dinner, movie or maybe company with someone else, but aren't neccessarily interested in re-marrying, or a sexual relationship?

Don;t get me wrong, I think it is wisdom for young people to only date when they are ready to find a spouse, and for beleivers to only date other believers. However that is different then saying something is Biblical, when the Bible doesn't specifically address it. If I'm mistaken and the Bible does address dating, I would love for you to share the verses with me.
I think this is not an actual argument. I think this is an illusion of language. When I say "date", I mean date in a romantic sense. I think you mean "just going to the movies or something like that". The way you are using the word, it can be "just as a friends". If me and my friend are gonna hang out at the movies but there's nothing romantic then I would not consider that a date. But in another sense of the word it can be considered a date.

When I use the word date, I mean it in a romantic way. Like y'all are giving each other the eye and all that.

I think the dispute merely arises from using the word "date" in different ways. But when I mentioned dating I meant it in a romantic way. I don't use the word "date" for me and a friend going to the movies as just friends. I don't consider that a date. But you could use the word date in that sense if you wanted to. I don't think words have an entirely fixed meaning so I don't think it would make sense to argue about the meaning of words.

Todd

Star
I think this is not an actual argument. I think this is an illusion of language. When I say "date", I mean date in a romantic sense. I think you mean "just going to the movies or something like that". The way you are using the word, it can be "just as a friends". If me and my friend are gonna hang out at the movies but there's nothing romantic then I would not consider that a date. But in another sense of the word it can be considered a date.

When I use the word date, I mean it in a romantic way. Like y'all are giving each other the eye and all that.

I think the dispute merely arises from using the word "date" in different ways. But when I mentioned dating I meant it in a romantic way. I don't use the word "date" for me and a friend going to the movies as just friends. I don't consider that a date. But you could use the word date in that sense if you wanted to. I don't think words have an entirely fixed meaning so I don't think it would make sense to argue about the meaning of words.
You are probably right. Understood. I still think you are claiming the Bible says something when it;s just good common sense/wisdom that says you shouldn't date an Aethist. But we are on the same page either way.

Etagloc

Superstar
You are probably right. Understood. I still think you are claiming the Bible says something when it;s just good common sense/wisdom that says you shouldn't date an Aethist. But we are on the same page either way.
When I said date, I meant in the sense of "would you be boyfriend-girlfriend" with an atheist. I take relationships very seriously and I've never casually "dated" or looked at dating in a casual sense. I think my language was ambiguous. But I mean dating in a serious sense. And in a romantic sense. Like "I love you" and giving her flowers and things like that. I think things like that are inherently serious and I think it is a tragedy if people think lightly of saying something like "I love you" to someone (in the romantic sense).

If you are deeply in a relationship and you are the boyfriend or girlfriend with an atheist, this violates

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

The truth is you will always keep atheists at a certain distance if you are spiritual. That's not hate. It's just not being Viridiana and falling into the trap of Viridiana. You become like the people you hang around and if you hang around atheists..... that's who you will be like. Someone who is a hardcore Republican probably will not hang out with a hardcore Democrat. It's not the end of the world. The Republic can hang out with his Republican friends and the Democrat can hang out with their democrat friends and both can live in harmony with their beliefs and not have the others' beliefs forced on them. The Bible does not conform to PC standards and we have to let go of certain modern ways of thinking.

mecca

Superstar
but you take the West Coast liberal (because that is a West Coast mentality) who says that and you put them in a close relationship with a hardcore redneck Trump supporter...... either the liberal will have to lose their mental independence and adopt the redneck's way of thinking.... or the reverse.
Liberals and conservatives can be friends as long as they're not radicals.

Paranoia Daily

Veteran
It was a joke. It's not that serious.

"You religious fanatics are all the same"..... you sound like someone saying "you blacks are all the same" or "you *insert whatever group* are all the same". It is an extremely ignorant way of thinking.

Look at how intolerant you are. It is funny that I am portrayed as the intolerant one. I would not marry an atheist, true, but I also would not talk to an atheist that way.

I am not about hate as you seem to be. You can tell me more about how I'm a stupid religious believer and how we're all the same but I'm not like you and I'm not about hating people just because they disagree with me. I have a right to my own mind and opinions and I have a right to disagree with others but I'm not out to talk to them in hateful ways.

You can be included in the topic. I want you to be included. Since you are an atheist, for you the question can be "would you date a religious believer?"

I was a hardcore atheist for years. I know what it's like to be an atheist.

Perhaps you see yourself as more logical than religious believers. If that is how you see yourself then please show how logical you are by answering the question in a calm, logical way and not by spewing hate and "all you people are the same" type logic.
It's not hate...Religion has created its own typical stereotype. Logic has nothing to do with it. You assumed that because one or both parents of an unborn child are atheists that the child will come into the world the same. I pointed out that because this child has to be taught these behaviors it cannot be born an atheists or have any other religious belief unless those beliefs are taught to the child.

I was a hardcore atheist for years. I know what it's like to be an atheist.
I don't think you do or you would never have assumed an unborn child can be born with religious belief or non belief.

Look at how intolerant you are. It is funny that I am portrayed as the intolerant one. I would not marry an atheist, true, but I also would not talk to an atheist that way.
I am not intolerant....You posted this on an internet message board and you cannot assume that everyone is going to agree with your assumption.

I am not about hate as you seem to be. You can tell me more about how I'm a stupid religious believer and how we're all the same but I'm not like you and I'm not about hating people just because they disagree with me. I have a right to my own mind and opinions and I have a right to disagree with others but I'm not out to talk to them in hateful ways.
Neither am I.....This brings me to the point I was trying to make. You lumped all parents that atheists into one category and assumed that an unborn child will be born atheists..Well society as a whole lumps religion into one category. Christianity for example considers itself the only religion God accepts and there is no other....Yet there are some 33,000 denominations of it and all assume they know what a God wants. Where is it written that God will only accept those of the Christian faith?

Paranoia Daily

Veteran
There's nothing in the Bible that says you don't qualify for acceptance by whatever God you have made up for yourself, but if you expect to be accepted by the God of the Bible, you must accept him, too.
I hardly seek approval from man made Gods or God...And I do not expect to be accepted by something that has never been proven to exist.....And I don't put my life in the hands of something sight unseen and created by man in a book. If people find comfort in doing this then more power to them I hope they are happy....

Thunderian

Superstar
I hardly seek approval from man made Gods or God...And I do not expect to be accepted by something that has never been proven to exist...
You asked where it said that God will only accept those of the Christian faith. Do you believe in God? If so, where do you get your concept of God from?

Todd

Star
You asked where it said that God will only accept those of the Christian faith. Do you believe in God? If so, where do you get your concept of God from?
How Does "Jesus is the only way to the Father" equate to God accepting only those of the Christian Faith? Jesus never spoke of "the Christian Faith". He only spoke of the OT Hebrew Covenant of God and how he came to fulfill it.

Paranoia Daily

Veteran
How Does "Jesus is the only way to the Father" equate to God accepting only those of the Christian Faith? Jesus never spoke of "the Christian Faith". He only spoke of the OT Hebrew Covenant of God and how he came to fulfill it.
He never even heard the word Christian! Some seem to forget he was a Jew! Born in the Jewish faith....And how does a Jew die for the sins of others?