Would you approve of your son/daughter marrying an atheist?

Etagloc

Superstar
If I had a son and/or a daughter, I would not be a fan of either one of them marrying an atheist OR a theist. But if they are adults, they will have their Freedom of Choice to marry whoever they want to spend to rest of their adult lives with.
An atheist OR a theist??

Who is the third category?

Would you approve of your son/daughter marrying an atheist?
As long as your son/daughter doesn't throw away their beliefs and moral standards, then yes. It is okay. Although I do believe that the relationship wouldn't last that long or be very efficient, just teach your children how to follow what they believe and believe what they believe without throwing it away for the first person that says "I love you". :)

Etagloc

Superstar
There is no third category. Why? Because atheists [people with no beliefs] and theists [people with beliefs] all have the same flaw: They do not know for sure if what they "believe" or "do not believe" is the absolute truth.
Well, if everyone fits in those two categories and it's wrong for people to fit into one of the two- then this is like saying it's wrong for someone to breathe, as it is involuntary.

Either you're claiming people are wrong for something involuntary, or you must believe in a third category.

Which category do you yourself fall in? One of the two or a third?

And honestly, the third category is agnosticism. You are arguing for agnosticism.

There is no third category. Why? Because atheists [people with no beliefs] and theists [people with beliefs] all have the same flaw: They do not know for sure if what they "believe" or "do not believe" is the absolute truth.
The alternative to the two camps is agnosticism.

mecca

Superstar
They do not know for sure if what they "believe" or "do not believe" is the absolute truth.
That's why you can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. Gnostic theists and gnostic atheists both claim to have knowledge of the unknowable.

llleopard

Established
Rhino and I have six children between us. We did our absolute best to show them Christ while they were growing up, but at this point they have all married or live with partners of no religion, and are anti christianity,to various degrees ranging all the way from 'don't mention God' to 'can you pray for me'. I think I would rather they had found partners of any faith and followed SOMETHING rather than nothing. But it's not my choice.

Dalit

Star
Rhino and I have six children between us. We did our absolute best to show them Christ while they were growing up, but at this point they have all married or live with partners of no religion, and are anti christianity,to various degrees ranging all the way from 'don't mention God' to 'can you pray for me'. I think I would rather they had found partners of any faith and followed SOMETHING rather than nothing. But it's not my choice.
Lots of people compromise like that, @llleopard . I'm sorry about that. I'm one of the weirdos that refuses to compromise and may never marry, but that's okay. But yeah, have seen many friends do the same.

Damien50

Star
People still get married? I thought cucking and polyamory was the new fad. I'm not in control of who my kids marry and it's no longer important to people if their parents approve anyway. Do as thou wilt right?

Aero

Superstar
I wouldn't care who my potential kids marry.

I firmly believe a child needs to have their own life. A child isn't property. They aren't a puppet you get to pull the strings for their entire existence. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't think that way. And if I could be blunt, I think those types are setting themselves for obvious disappointment.

It just seems like a great many are super obsessed with trying to have a perfect child. So it's like falling in love at first sight or something. You know? Everything seems perfect at first until reality finally sets in. The realization that the person you fell in love with really isn't the person you thought.

TonyVanDam

Established
Well, if everyone fits in those two categories and it's wrong for people to fit into one of the two- then this is like saying it's wrong for someone to breathe, as it is involuntary.

Either you're claiming people are wrong for something involuntary, or you must believe in a third category.

Which category do you yourself fall in? One of the two or a third?

And honestly, the third category is agnosticism. You are arguing for agnosticism.

The alternative to the two camps is agnosticism.
Yes, I am an agnostic. I still think that the entire universe was created by a creator OR creators. But I do not know for sure yet due to lack of evidences to prove it as absolute fact or not.

TonyVanDam

Established
That's why you can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. Gnostic theists and gnostic atheists both claim to have knowledge of the unknowable.
These days, I do not used the phrase "I believe". I prefer to say "I have my suspicions".

Thunderian

Superstar
It would break my heart, because there's nothing better than family who loves Jesus -- and not a lot that's sadder than having a beloved family member who isn't a believer.

If I knew that, should my wife die, I would never see her again, it would be hard not to feel sorrow daily because of it. I would never want a child of mine to be that sad.

llleopard

Established
"would you approve of your daughter or son marry an arsehole?"
You get no choice in whom they pair up with, because they are adults, and apart from one time expressing your opinion so you have been truthful and given the benefit of your wisdom (we hope), it does more harm than good trying to sway or control anyone let alone your kids. Your only choice is how you deal with the person and the relationship. Eg. One of our girls is married to a neo nazi. My husband was even their marriage celebrant. So some of our grandkids greet us with a salute and heil nanna,and think racism is normal. But their father is part of the family even if we think he is a plonker. We have clear limits for what is acceptable in our own house, but in their home we give him ordinary respect rather than argue or undermine his role as parent. Others of our kids partners have short comings, but then so do we.Nobody's perfect, but we make it work by being kind to each other.

You get no choice in whom they pair up with, because they are adults, and apart from one time expressing your opinion so you have been truthful and given the benefit of your wisdom (we hope), it does more harm than good trying to sway or control anyone let alone your kids. Your only choice is how you deal with the person and the relationship. Eg. One of our girls is married to a neo nazi. My husband was even their marriage celebrant. So some of our grandkids greet us with a salute and heil nanna,and think racism is normal. But their father is part of the family even if we think he is a plonker. We have clear limits for what is acceptable in our own house, but in their home we give him ordinary respect rather than argue or undermine his role as parent. Others of our kids partners have short comings, but then so do we.Nobody's perfect, but we make it work by being kind to each other.
Well, you have no choice in your daughter's decision making, but that doesnt mean you approve of it. If he's a neo nazi that is disgusting.
My comment was a joke comment because the athiests ive come across were ignorant gobshites..and i don't approve of that in anyone.

mecca

Superstar
One of our girls is married to a neo nazi. My husband was even their marriage celebrant. So some of our grandkids greet us with a salute and heil nanna,and think racism is normal. But their father is part of the family even if we think he is a plonker.
Wow. I think that is one of the few cases where it's okay for you to intervene in some sense. It's disgusting that they're raising their children to be that way.