Would a ban on all public religious representations and displays ease religious hatreds and violence?

Wigi

Veteran
For a God that says people have free will to submit to him or not, it is very strange that he demands women submit to their men. But it makes sense if you follow the idea that women were made for men, and men were made for God. It gives me the impression that the only free will that counts is the will of the men, the women should listen to the men after all. Yet they will be held accountable before God in the same way men are. Something does not add up here in my eyes.
Excuse me if I sound blunt but It doesn't work like that at all.

Camidria

Veteran
Ok, you know all of this is hard when you do not take the Bible in context.

I come out of a really terrible house, my father abused my mom, he verbally abused me, I am an only child. There was no order and no love, he cheated and even had a gun to my mom's head a few times. And all through this God taught me this is not normal, I remember His voice explaining how it should be, explaining how arguments should be handled. If it wasn't for God I would have certainly not be in a normal marriage of 7 years today with a loving husband, and having peace in our house - I would have either chosen an abusive man or have been abusive myself!

What God has been teaching me through His Word all through the years and also through experience is that husband and wife are equal but we have different roles, he is wise in some areas that I am not - we are a team, we have equal say, and sometimes I am wiser as I am stronger as a woman discerning feelings and caring, he - in our marriage specifically (it differs from marriage to marriage) is better with financial choices, protecting us (he is stronger obviously all men are) etc.

There are some things men do better than women and some things women do better than men - we are supposed to be a team, we are stronger together. Submitting to your husband doesn't mean he rules your life, it means respecting him and his choices as protector of the family. We are supposed to reflect the relationship in a marriage that Jesus has with His church (church being believers) that is why marriage was created - as well as the fellowship we have with our spouse, the togetherness. These are things God taught me.

It doesn't help to try and understand the Bible without the Holy Spirit, we tend to keep misunderstanding it, The Holy Spirit is like corrective glasses, we don't see color without Him (like someone who only sees black and white, they do not understand color at all until they put on the corrective glasses). I really hope you can all understand this.... That is my hearts desire!

Wigi

Veteran
The command is submit onto your husbands, not submit unto your husband unless xyz.. the quote you gave doesn’t give instruction for a wife of an unbeliever
I'm happy for you if everything is fine between you and your husband.

If I want to give the personal testimony of my upbringing, it wasn't really heaven on earth at all.

My Father was extremely misogynous before he came to Christ because his brothers told him 'he was the man' and 'that's how you treat women' plus it didn't help that my great father (I never knew him) had many wives.
My mother has been christian since her twenties (she's 60 today) and she was very comprehensive and compassionate for my father. Too much in my opinion.
I asked her why she accepted all this despite the abuse and she told me that 'God helped her.'

It took years but God did the work and my father finally stopped his despotic behaviors after his conversion when he finally realised that he was the reason why we weren't happy as a family.

Before my conversion some 7 years ago, I couldn't even talk to my father and now I forgave him and he told us that he was sorry for all the things he did to us.

Today, my mom and my father are still married after 45 years and I can honestly say that none of that would be possible if God hasn't helped us but I can only applause the heroism of my mom.

I'm glad to be in a church where my pastor speak loud and clear against abusive relationships.

justjess

Superstar
Three of you now have stated your upbringings were not good, even horrible. That is a common thread I see among people who are so devout. That’s not a bad thing, but I do think it’s worth noting. Psychologically, when you do not have security in your own life you tend to seek it out elsewhere. That’s why routine and structure is so important for the mentally ill, why AA works so well for some people, why the abused tend to cling to the literal rigors of religion or the military etc.

And if that works for you, I am happy for you.

I’m coming from a different place entirely.

Wigi

Veteran
You're trying to imply that "religion" is some kind of placebo?
When you don't have struggles in your life, it's understandable to think people are weak or they need to occupy their mind with 'mythology' to escape reality or something.

Myself I thought Christianity was a placebo and real men needed to be 'strong' and have 'fun' ect.

I have friends who grew up in secular families, where everything looked fine but they still ended up praying to God.

Now I understand It's just a spiritual need so there's no need to be sorry to admit I can't do everything myself.

justjess

Superstar
When you don't have struggles in your life, it's understandable to think people are weak or they need to occupy their mind with 'mythology' to escape reality or something.

Myself I thought Christianity was a placebo and real men needed to be 'strong' and have 'fun' ect.

I have friends who grew up in secular families, where everything looked fine but they still ended up praying to God.

Now I understand It's just a spiritual need so there's no need to be sorry to admit I can't do everything myself.
I never said I didn’t have struggles. Just that my foundation was solid. The nonsense I brought upon myself starting around age 16 was not the fault of my upbringing.

I also didn’t say it was a placebo. Just that the rigors of organized religion mimic conditions that have been shown to help people who have experienced trauma of some sort in the outside world. It was just an observation.

Camidria

Veteran
Three of you now have stated your upbringings were not good, even horrible. That is a common thread I see among people who are so devout. That’s not a bad thing, but I do think it’s worth noting. Psychologically, when you do not have security in your own life you tend to seek it out elsewhere. That’s why routine and structure is so important for the mentally ill, why AA works so well for some people, why the abused tend to cling to the literal rigors of religion or the military etc.

And if that works for you, I am happy for you.

I’m coming from a different place entirely.
I hear your heart, but it's relationship that makes us devout, really knowing Jesus personally, experiencing His love, seeing His humor, hearing His voice. Not thinking He is real but knowing, seeing miracles, experiencing amazing things that is unfathomable. That is what makes us devout.

justjess

Superstar
But I’ve seen miracles too. I’ve woken up with an overwhelming urge to get a priest the morning my father died, which as you should know by my own character is completely inexplicable. He died two hours after the priest left our house. I’ve heard my grandmother in the midst of severe dimentia announce her loved ones had died with no one telling her at a time where she didn’t even know her own name. I’ve seen people who should have been dead a million times saved and spared and even brought back when it shouldn’t have been possible for reasons unknown. I’ve been in horrible personal places and something unlikely but necessary happens at the last second to make things ok.

I believe in miracles, I’ve seen them. I’m sure people of every faith have as well. Believing in the right version of god doesn’t seem to be a prerequisite.

And with that said I am now respectfully bowing out.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
I’m not trying to imply anything, just pointing out obvious trends.
My two sisters and my baby brother had the same parents, same Catholic upbringing, and all went to Catholic schools. The three of them are atheists.
Using your logic my second little sister should be the religious one, not me. Both parents were verbally abusive to her. My father bashed her one time (she was around 20 at the time).

Wigi

Veteran
It could probably increase it because people like that would want to retaliate.
The main problems with a ban of all religious representation are:
- People feeling discriminated because some atheists believe they have a special right to proselytize/mock religious people in public

- The state still promoting some religious communities to show their support toward 'oppressed minorities'

- Some people not being altruistic in public because they associate religion with altruism. If religions are banned in public, they believe they have the right to be insulting and self centered because it's not forbidden by the law.

- Zealots who believe they need to hate their country because the state don't accept their religion.

I think it's not possible to ban religious representation as even our elites are religious in their own way.

Etagloc

Superstar
Imagine if a religious person suggested making atheism illegal. Yet atheists want to criminalize religion.

DevaWolf

Veteran
Imagine if a religious person suggested making atheism illegal. Yet atheists want to criminalize religion.
Lol, there are plenty of religious countries to choose from. Just don't try to force a secular country to fit your beliefs. Move if you want a religious country, there is enough room for all of us on the globe.

For most of mankinds history atheism has been illegal, so far religion is illegal in exactly nil countries so please stop complaining about atheists wanting ( but never getting ) a religion free country.

Allegra

Veteran
Lol, there are plenty of religious countries to choose from. Just don't try to force a secular country to fit your beliefs. Move if you want a religious country, there is enough room for all of us on the globe.

For most of mankinds history atheism has been illegal, so far religion is illegal in exactly nil countries so please stop complaining about atheists wanting ( but never getting ) a religion free country.
That’s right.

you can’t get a religion free country. Because the rulers of this earth aren’t atheist. They’re busy worshipping their one eye god and creating the perfect MKooltra-for-all to control you guys. Lolololol

Smh this forum need more emojis. I need to be able to convey my expressions and feelings when typing texts.

Wigi

Veteran
you can’t get a religion free country. Because the rulers of this earth aren’t atheist. They’re busy worshipping their one eye god and creating the perfect MKooltra-for-all to control you guys. Lolololol
^This.
I believe our elites wanted to promote secularism because a secular worldview is more incline to get along with consumerism and the laws of the market.
And those who deny that we're living in a spiritual environment can be more easily modeled by the society.

They know what they have to do so people will accept the mark of the beast as a cool tattoo and a modern thingy while those who will refuse it will be considered backward, uneducated ect...

I think it was a smart move from them.

Allegra

Veteran
In North Korea they kill you if you have any religion other than belief in the state.
For atheist it’s better cuz for some of them to believe in God they have to see with their own eyes.

NK’s god is Kim Jong Un and we can SEE HIM!!! Isn’t it great y’all?