Woke Watch - TV shows + movies

peridot

Established
Each one of these different versions have different styles. Some times it changes to highlight a different culture, or time period, or scenario (think how many different Cinderella stories are out there).
It is extremely tempted to label this one the "WOKE" version, and to some extend that IS true.

But if that's your conclusion: you now need to label those other 100 versions of the story that existed before the official "WOKE" designation. Each one of these IS in fact promoting something.

Last edited:

peridot

Established
My initial ire about The Little Mermaid from Disney 2023 was one of the most memorable features of the movie was that the actress had bright red hair and wide curious eyes. That was before I actually saw how the costuming on this actress: they did at least meet that expectation.

I also wondered how well the music choices would be executed. I have not seen this 2023 version, but if the trailers are accurate, this 2023 mermaid has a very good voice.

Last edited:

peridot

Established
But here's the most important part of this "reaction piece:" WHY did Disney feel the need to remake this movie in the first place. But given this is the latest in a whole set of remakes, WHY remake any of these movies again? Live action does NOT equal a better movie. So unless you ARE try to make some actual point, it is a HUGE waste of time and money.
Plus given almost all of these were cartoons, you run the risk of making the "live action" version ruin the endearing visuals that can only be produced by CGI, animation, or crazy good graphics. I've seen pictures of Flounder in the trailers, and he looked like a meth addict in rehab. I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with that image, but it did not improve the 1992 ish animation of him, regardless of the cost.

So again, WHY REMAKE THE MOVIE(S) AT ALL?

Which means, there IS a point.
I just don't think the point is WOKE-ness.

Given how successful the 1992ish version of "The Little Mermaid" was, I do think it was to stir up stuff.
Maybe gauge the public's reaction to massive changes, or how much resistance changes to "old favorites" would provoke?
Maybe if the public accepts this highly visible change in an extremely well known piece of American movie culture, it will also be ready for the "next cultural shift," without protest?

peridot

Established
PLUS, because there is NO WAY that the general public would miss or stay silent about that change,
it serves as a fantastic way to distract them from the really important nonsense they're about to release...

polymoog

Superstar
PLUS, because there is NO WAY that the general public would miss or stay silent about that change,
it serves as a fantastic way to distract them from the really important nonsense they're about to release...
its been said that ANY news is good news. the idea is that if someone hears about a product (or a film), oftentimes they forget what it was about but recall the product or film. when someone brings up the product again, the consumer can say, "oh yes, ive heard of [xyz]..." or they could be at the theatre deciding to see a movie and recall the name of the film (but again, not the substance behind it) and on name recognition only, go and see that film.

polymoog

Superstar
So again, WHY REMAKE THE MOVIE(S) AT ALL?
perhaps less writers and others are needed, so the studio can cut costs. theres also a strike going on in hollyweird (writers only, i think, at the moment, but could end up including the SAG), so if a flurry of remakes come out, this will confirm the hypothesis.

polymoog

Superstar
IMDB Changes 'Little Mermaid' Ratings

0:59.
they love doing this.
YT hides the thumbs down to hide left-leaning videos, the government changes the way they determine GDP and inflation to buoy their fake numbers, and now IMBD changes the ratings to hide the peoples disgust of wokeism.

polymoog

Superstar

Laborers in Victorian England (1901)

england is just TEEMING with diversity. im glad they made wonka historically accurate. you know, so its inclusive and stuff.
who am i kidding? i guess i should be grateful that they didnt make willy wonka a black trans-woman.

polymoog

Superstar
Why even bother?

2:57.

here, make yourself more nauseous:

DarntheDarner

Established
There's another snow white?
Huh. Why?
They really keep running out of ideas.
There have been plenty of these movies coming out within the last 15 years.
Why more?
Oh I guess the answer will always be they don't care and just want to put their agenda into everything.
Who cares how much money they make.
Just as long as they can keep the sheeple in line and mind control those who don't care to have a single thought for themselves.
They will be happy.

DarntheDarner

Established
Really? What is the need of this?
Haven't they shown us already
that everything has to be about diversity,
but not good storytelling?
There's no need to prove themselves
so much as to make each dwarf
"diverse".
I don't think anyone was complaining about them before.
what's the point of this other than
a stupid agenda.

polymoog

Superstar
‘Snow White’ Star Rachel Zegler Dropped from Film, Will Be Recast

Many fans are looking ahead to Disney’s upcoming live-action Snow White film with the assumption it will also fail to perform at the box office, though for very different reasons than the previous films. The quality and popularity of each of these films vary significantly, but none have been as controversial as Disney’s upcoming remake of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937).

Disney’s reimagining of the classic animated fairytale will feature big Hollywood names like Rachel Zegler and Gal Gadot.

Rachel Zegler has been very outspoken regarding the upcoming film, criticizing the original at almost every chance she could get. Rachel Zegler, who portrays Snow White in the upcoming film, made a name for herself with films like West Side Story (2021) Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023) and will star in this year’s expansion of the Hunger Games franchise with The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. Zegler has been on record saying that the love story is not important to the new Snow White film and that the prince’s scenes, portrayed by Andrew Burnap, may be cut entirely.

Credit: SplashNews.com

Zegler has made it clear that she thinks the original character of Snow White was a helpless damsel in distress who was only able to be rescued by a prince. While this trope is true for certain Disney films, for many, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was all about Snow White’s journey herself. Zegler has joked about removing the Prince character from the film, citing that the film shouldn’t really be about a character like that. Zegler also stated that Snow White does not need to fall in love and can instead be powerful on her own.

These comments, among others, have soured a lot of fans on this new movie, leaving many wondering how it will turn out when it is finally released. Zegler even joked that the film might not come out due to what she has said about it.

Now, ahead of the release of Disney’s Snow White, Rachel Zegler has been dropped from another project.

polymoog

Superstar
Robyn Hood

check out the preview if you can stomach it.

rating: 1.1/10

Follows Robyn Loxley and anti-authoritarian masked hip-hop band, The Hood, as they call out injustices and fight for freedom and equality in the city of New Nottingham.

Featured review

1/10

Literally THE Most Laughably Pathetic Show I've seen. Really.
You know I went into this with an open mind I saw some of the ratings on other websites but I figured. Hey give it a shot. I am not exaggerating when I tell you this is hands-down the worst show I've ever seen. I literally feel embarrassed for the Director. I don't know who along the way in his life led him to believe he has some talent but my guy you need to find a different career path. I mean it's really really really. REALLY BAD.

I'm not opposed to reimagined storylines, but they need to actually be good. I really hope that in the future before this Director puts out any more content, he goes back to film school. It's not fair they good people like myself and many others unwittingly volunteer to have their precious time wasted by this garbage. The only redeeming quality of the show is that it is so bad and so pathetic that I did actually find myself giggling quite a bit.

the director lamenting about the ratings: (~1:30)

polymoog

Superstar
Marvel

2:20. theyve wrecked marvel (i never watched any of those movies).