With the world’s eyes on Afghanistan, how does the Taliban represent Islam?

Cintra

Star
So correct! They think that for 1 it kills infidels 2 its a cash crop so y would they stop.
Also, it a product that is much in demand, they grow it well and easily.
Families eat because they farm these plants.
Because they fulfil a need in the capitalist market place.

Why would these people give up their incomes because people half a world away can't control themselves?
Do the whiskey factories close because of alcoholics?

Historically in the opium wars the west forced imports of opium to china to addict the population to opium smoking and gain an endless market..
If we are getting the same treatment back...

Maldarker

Star
Also, it a product that is much in demand, they grow it well and easily.
Families eat because they farm these plants.
Because they fulfil a need in the capitalist market place.

Why would these people give up their incomes because people half a world away can't control themselves?
Do the whiskey factories close because of alcoholics?

Historically in the opium wars the west forced imports of opium to china to addict the population to opium smoking and gain an endless market..
If we are getting the same treatment back...
The whole history of opium is crazy. Would recommend everyone to look into it.

The only problem is the poppy still viable when you got synthetic opioids like that fentanyl stuff or oxycotin thats the real question.

I wouldn't have a problem with no alcohol but yes that's correct. You know they don't either same as cig companies (all about the money).

Cintra

Star
The whole history of opium is crazy. Would recommend everyone to look into it.

The only problem is the poppy still viable when you got synthetic opioids like that fentanyl stuff or oxycotin thats the real question.

I wouldn't have a problem with no alcohol but yes that's correct. You know they don't either same as cig companies (all about the money).
I assume it is still viable for the black market, or they wouldn't bother.

It must also still be viable for the parma industry as I have seen fields of pharmaceutical opium poppies in the uk.
But they are harvested mechanically, the opium is chemically extracted from the whole pod, rather than the traditional labour intensive cut and scrape.

Always about the money. Yes.

Tidal

Star
When defeatist Obama said this 5 years ago it must have sent the Taliban's morale sky high-

Maldarker

Star
To be fair heroin started flooding this country in 2002 - after the Americans took over Afghanistan. It’s been flooding in ever since with American troops “guarding” poppy fields instead of setting them on fire.
Earlier think 1990's and it started with the pill mills that got everyone excited for it.

Maldarker

Star

It must also still be viable for the parma industry as I have seen fields of pharmaceutical opium poppies in the uk.
But they are harvested mechanically, the opium is chemically extracted from the whole pod, rather than the traditional labour intensive cut and scrape.

BTW i stated a misnomer oxy types are both synthetic & natural so yes still viable all around would be my answer also.

saki

Star
The Afghanistan Lie: That America Could Have Won By Staying

....snip....

The Afghanistan Papers document that concealing the truth was routine and widespread.

Indeed, without a hint of irony, Allen declares, “after two decades of conflict, [we] should not be at all surprised by this looming disaster.”

It is these deceptions and falsehoods that constitute the original “stab in the back.”

For two decades, the American people were deceived by the leaders and policymakers about the course of the Afghanistan War and perpetuated it without purpose. Meanwhile, citizens have no means to hold those responsible accountable for the disaster; proponents will continue to rotate through presidential appointments, fellowships at research institutes, contracts with major media platforms, and corporate boardrooms.

Fourteen years ago, a lieutenant colonel lamented that those who preside over a losing war are never held accountable — “as matters stand now, a private who loses a rifle suffers far greater consequences than a general who loses a war.”

Perhaps the global elite need that opium to enslave the whole world - maybe it’ll be used as part of their “medical bio-enhancement” measures.

There must be a reason they’ve suddenly sewn chaos in Afganistan- I doubt anything that happens isn’t strategically planned for some reason they’re not telling us.

Maldarker

Star
Perhaps the global elite need that opium to enslave the whole world - maybe it’ll be used as part of their “medical bio-enhancement” measures.

There must be a reason they’ve suddenly sewn chaos in Afganistan- I doubt anything that happens isn’t strategically planned for some reason they’re not telling us.
Wonder if you will see troop draw downs from other bases world wide if so.... Martial Law?

saki

Star
....I'm astonished that the C-17 was able to lift off in this condition.....

Overloaded but airborne: Incredible photo shows 640 Afghans on a US C-17 cargo jet - designed to carry 150 - after they ran on before soldiers could close ramp and pilot decided to take off from Kabul and save them all
  • The RCH 871 took off from Kabul on Sunday night after the Taliban claimed the Afghan city
  • The C-17 jet was due to take US embassy personnel but terrified Afghan civilians ran onboard
  • They jumped onto the plane's ramp before the flight crew could stop them, and they took off with them
  • Initial audio from the plane estimated 800 were on board but officials say the true number was 640
  • The refugees will be taken to air bases in Texas and Wisconsin, Defense Dept confirmed on Monday
  • The US, India and Canada are all using C-17s to get foreign nationals and Afghan refugees out of Kabul
  • There are grave concerns over the efficacy of the rescue mission which collapsed into chaos on Monday
  • Eight people were killed at the airport; two were shot by US troops and three were run over by jets
  • Another three died falling from the fuselage of a different US Air Force C-17 jet as it took off

weskrongden

Veteran
Taliban aren't that bad. They're very religious but they're reasonable. I don't have a problem with them.

weskrongden

Veteran
....I'm astonished that the C-17 was able to lift off in this condition.....

Overloaded but airborne: Incredible photo shows 640 Afghans on a US C-17 cargo jet - designed to carry 150 - after they ran on before soldiers could close ramp and pilot decided to take off from Kabul and save them all
  • The RCH 871 took off from Kabul on Sunday night after the Taliban claimed the Afghan city
  • The C-17 jet was due to take US embassy personnel but terrified Afghan civilians ran onboard
  • They jumped onto the plane's ramp before the flight crew could stop them, and they took off with them
  • Initial audio from the plane estimated 800 were on board but officials say the true number was 640
  • The refugees will be taken to air bases in Texas and Wisconsin, Defense Dept confirmed on Monday
  • The US, India and Canada are all using C-17s to get foreign nationals and Afghan refugees out of Kabul
  • There are grave concerns over the efficacy of the rescue mission which collapsed into chaos on Monday
  • Eight people were killed at the airport; two were shot by US troops and three were run over by jets
  • Another three died falling from the fuselage of a different US Air Force C-17 jet as it took off
Those Afghans need to stay in their country or find local refuge. Absolutely no refugees in the US.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
One thing does occur to me - the weakness of Joe Biden has positioned America as an internally divided bystander on the international scene.

Nations that would have thought twice before acting out their plans may well thumb their noses at old Joe and the world may be a less stable place for it. I don’t want that to be true but it seems to be the way things are sliding…

Daze

Superstar
Those Afghans need to stay in their country or find local refuge. Absolutely no refugees in the US.
Interesting, seeing the US is literally a melting pot of all races. Literally, we have pretty much every race here.
While we've been in Afghanistan making life unlivable for them for at least 20 years. Can you imagine growing up in a world were you're scared of blue skies? Its quite sad to be 10, 12 years old and afraid of clear skies because then you're an easy target for a drone.

Of course you can't picture this, not as you sit in your recliner eating cheeseburgers watching football. I mean why should it affect you.. but refugees? God forbid the chickens come home to roost, right?

"No refugees here", hey here's an idea jackass. Why don't you spend an hour in their shoes?

Michi

Established

That’s right. Big money.
“Opium poppy is one of the most important medicinal plants in the world and represents the largest single source of natural products used by the pharmaceutical industry. Opium poppies produce opiate alkaloids such as morphine and codeine, which are one of the main classes of painkiller drugs.”