With ironic respect. Should we thank God that religionists are such hypocrites?

With ironic respect. Should we thank God that religionists are such hypocrites?

The religions that offer a supernatural God are basically authoritarian religions with tyrannical Gods.

They are quite divisive and if Christians and Muslims do not do things just right, they get to burn forever in in a purposeless hell. Yahweh and Allah are mean demiurges.

In terms of following their religions to the letter, I see both Christians and Muslims as being quite hypocritical and I thank all the Gods for that.

If Christians and Muslims did live by the barbaric ideals their religions and Gods wanted, the inquisitions and jihads would force the rest of us to eliminate those fouls religions for reasons of self-defence.

Let us thank all the good Gods that Christians and Muslims do not practice their religions and are such hypocrites. Let us thank all the Gods that Christians and Muslims are moral enough to be hypocrites and only give lip service to their vile religious ideologies and imaginary Gods.

How many Christians are hypocrites? This link says the vast majority right at the beginning of the link, and I would say that the same number applies to Muslims even though their mosque attendance is higher than the Christian one due to culture more than religion.

Jesus for the non religious - Retired bishop John Spong on religion.

Regards
DL

TokiEl

Superstar
Churches are a ruse trying to trick Christians into thinking that Christ is found in churches.

So religion is a yoke not to God but to church authorities.

God escaped all that and took up residency in the body of the true followers of His Son.

Those who have the testimony of Jesus Christ and keep the commandments of God.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Lots of personal attacks in that article but no serious debate about his research or understanding. Completely emotion based criticism from a fundamentalist propaganda site.
I have to give a wry smile as it is a "personal attack" when a point is made that disagrees with our mental construct and a "good point" when our own metaphorical team scores. I don't have a great deal of interest in Bishop Spong as I find examining the source documents and ideas far more interesting.

E.g.

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/the-critical-text-criticized.3461/

As an aside, I have never got my daughter to try a mushroom. She decided pretty early on that they weren't for her and years down the line she is rather set in her ways. I guess it's a question of choosing wisely which ways we get set in, as we will live (forever) with the consequences.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
P.s. hypocracy is a very interesting concept. It implies standing for something for which your own personal moral conduct falls short.

Clearly the higher the moral standards, the greater the likelihood of hypocracy. This accusation may be particularly levelled at Christians when you consider the gap between actions and the standards set out by Jesus during his sermon on the Mount.

But there is a complication.

The authentic Christian life leads to change and growth in the knowledge of our Saviour. Whilst there may be many false and hypocritical religious "Christians" in your circle of aquaintence, you have to give thought to the lives that are genuinely changed and revolutionised through the day to day walk of discipleship.

On the other hand, those who make no spiritual claims and aspire to be nothing other than the lovable rogues they see themselves as, could not be accused of hypocracy, since no stated standards have actually been transgressed.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I still haven't had chance to look at this one, Colonel... What I did find though was a YouTube reading of John from the "Word of Promise" audiobook. Jesus is read by Jim Cavezil (who played Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ"). I found the interview with him when he was in between jobs very interesting with respect to the OP. Fast forward to the end if you don't have lots of time...

The whole thing is great (but paid) but they give the Gospel of John away for free.

I still haven't had chance to look at this one, Colonel... What I did find though was a YouTube reading of John from the "Word of Promise" audiobook. Jesus is read by Jim Cavezil (who played Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ"). I found the interview with him when he was in between jobs very interesting with respect to the OP. Fast forward to the end if you don't have lots of time...

The whole thing is great (but paid) but they give the Gospel of John away for free.

I may fall asleep at anytime but I will listen to it Red.

The Gospel in Brief is better in print which you can find here.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Gospel_in_Brief

The recording for this Tolstoy work which explores similar ideas, is better