Winx Club cartoon, over sexualising women

Dreamymoon

Established
I was looking into this series I loved as a kid. I have not watched the live action but as far as I’ve read it’s dreadful.
The characters often wear clothing which reveals a lot of skin or pose in sultry ways

why does Bloom have her finger in her mouth? It gives off a hint of playful teasing.. which is sexual in nature
84520CE0-3052-45D7-ADB4-4B24B1F56CF2.png

Musa shows off her underwear in season one
3449A4C9-AE7C-4D4C-83BD-E94FBDB6C0F9.jpeg
some sultry poses
F1BAE1CB-0AB8-489A-8341-C7F7CED7E73D.png
326BC5F9-DC69-46B6-8F99-70A3EFB96C0C.jpeg
DBB2A9BF-7967-4049-B74F-D2F681F0F11B.jpeg
19E07BAA-0FA0-437D-990C-AA71B0474EA0.jpeg
heaps of those exist

the show also has adult jokes

the show also has the girls flirt with guys and lots of emphasis is placed on looks and boys, superficiality, makeovers, revealing clothing, cheating.

gettingedu

Established
I was looking into this series I loved as a kid. I have not watched the live action but as far as I’ve read it’s dreadful.
The characters often wear clothing which reveals a lot of skin or pose in sultry ways
why does Bloom have her finger in her mouth? It gives off a hint of playful teasing.. which is sexual in nature
View attachment 72839
Musa shows off her underwear in season one
View attachment 72840
some sultry poses
View attachment 72841
View attachment 72842
View attachment 72843
View attachment 72844
heaps of those exist
the show also has adult jokes
the show also has the girls flirt with guys and lots of emphasis is placed on looks and boys, superficiality, makeovers, revealing clothing, cheating.

moodychick

Established
The character models are based on famous celebrities:
  • Bloom - Britney Spears
  • Stella - Cameron Diaz
  • Techna - Pink
  • Flora - Jennifer Lopez
  • Musa - Lucy Liu
  • Aisha/Layla - Beyonce
It's amazing how this show got a pass through 4Kids, the most censored Saturday morning block in the US.

queen82

Star
  • Bloom - Britney Spears
  • Stella - Cameron Diaz
  • Techna - Pink
  • Flora - Jennifer Lopez
  • Musa - Lucy Liu
  • Aisha/Layla - Beyonce
It's amazing how this show got a pass through 4Kids, the most censored Saturday morning block in the US.
didn't know the characters were based on celebrities

moodychick

Established
didn't know the characters were based on celebrities
Yep. It's from an interview of the creator of Winx.

Iginio Straffi developed the Winx Club characters for the short pilot episode "Magic Bloom," which was finished in 2001. The characters' outfits were modeled on those of traditional European fairies,[4] while their appearances were loosely inspired by popular celebrities of the time. In a 2011 interview with IO Donna, Straffi stated Britney Spears served as an inspiration for Bloom, Cameron Diaz for Stella, Jennifer Lopez for Flora, Pink for Tecna, and Lucy Liu for Musa.[5] Straffi wanted the fairies to represent "the women of today"[6] and to look more modern than classic examples like la Fata Turchina.[7]

Dreamymoon

Established
  • Bloom - Britney Spears
  • Stella - Cameron Diaz
  • Techna - Pink
  • Flora - Jennifer Lopez
  • Musa - Lucy Liu
  • Aisha/Layla - Beyonce
4kidz quite heavily changed dialogue and plot from the original. They made it very American. I havent seen much of the RAI dubbing which is more accurate to Italian original.

queen82

Star
4kidz quite heavily changed dialogue and plot from the original. They made it very American. I havent seen much of the RAI dubbing which is more accurate to Italian original.
i live in Italy and sometimes i watch the cartoon , you're right about the dubbing

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
  • Bloom - Britney Spears
  • Stella - Cameron Diaz
  • Techna - Pink
  • Flora - Jennifer Lopez
  • Musa - Lucy Liu
  • Aisha/Layla - Beyonce
There are still Saturday monring cartons on network TV? They have censors?

moodychick

Established
PopPixie is an Italian animated miniseries created by Iginio Straffi. Its only season aired on Rai 2 for just over two months, from 10 January to 22 March 2011. The show features a cast of pixies, who were first introduced as secondary characters in the second season of Winx Club. PopPixie is otherwise unconnected to Winx Club, and it is aimed at younger viewers than its predecessor, with an intended audience of 4 to 6-year-olds.[1]

Their bodies resemble little girls despite they're "pixies". It's very disturbing.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
PopPixie is an Italian animated miniseries created by Iginio Straffi. Its only season aired on Rai 2 for just over two months, from 10 January to 22 March 2011. The show features a cast of pixies, who were first introduced as secondary characters in the second season of Winx Club. PopPixie is otherwise unconnected to Winx Club, and it is aimed at younger viewers than its predecessor, with an intended audience of 4 to 6-year-olds.[1]

Their bodies resemble little girls despite they're "pixies". It's very disturbing.

Im seeing something extra creepy here... look at how they drew the characters bodies... with shapely, voluptuous curves. Curves which children DONT have! Its like the kid cant win... either starve yourself to look like the "Bratz" line of these agenda pieces... or try to thicken yourself up to seek attention as these images are directing girls to do. Either way, both the child and society lose.

queen82

Star

that's kinda remind those lolicon japanese anime