Why o why did you pick your user name?

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
I am also interested in your avatar. Why did you choose this bedraggled looking man? Is he a character from Game of Thrones (never seen it) and you are making a public statement here with it?:)
That is Theoden from LOTR, king of Rohan whom was poisoned and ill advised by his deceitful chief adviser Grima who was aiding Saruman.

You could say Grima represented the me which indulges in pleasure and Theoden being the end result of bad council. See Dorian Grey. My only statement is I may be in constant spiritual decay because it isn't that I can't but more than I won't.

Serveto

Star
I borrow the good if troubled name of the (here Latinized) Spanish physician, Michael Servetus. "Michael Servetus," wrote one of his biographers, "is the only Christian to have been burned by Catholics in effigy, and by Protestants [John Calvin] in actuality."

Apart from his significant accomplishments in medicine, which he may well have learned or borrowed in part from the then comparatively advanced Muslims ("Moors"), he was interested, to a fatal fault, it turned out, in Theology. Although he was Latin literate, he lived during a time, the Reformation, when the Bible was being translated and printed into the common vernacular languages of Europe. He published and defended his controversial "On the Errors of the Trinity" and doggedly insisted that John Calvin, who considered the position heretical, engage him in debate, public or private. Instead, and although Calvin did repeatedly warn him in advance against doing so, when Servetus re-entered Geneva, then a theocracy with Calvin as chief theocrat, Calvin had him arrested, tried and burned slowly at the stake. "Misericordia," Latin for "mercy," he is said to have cried out at his last.

The burning of Servetus in some ways marked a turning point in Christian Europe, a crisis of conscience, and initiated or contributed to a debate which, ultimately, led to an articulation of the so called Natural Law and to the "Rights of Man," ideas which found their way to the New World and into the US Constitution.

Some Unitarians, who have claimed the man as their own, would like to canonize Servetus and make him a saint and founding father, but, to me, he seems far from saintly, just fully, tragically human. I share a lot of similarities -or, rather, affinities- with the man, though not necessarily doctrinal. I am not entirely serious here, but, this time around, I am guarding my step, only stayed at the airport in Geneva and didn't venture out into the city from there, have a better sense of humor, am more interested in History than Theology, and certainly don't want to be spitting up any charcoal, even if it comes from my feathered peace-pipe or bong.

Moana

My only statement is I may be in constant spiritual decay because it isn't that I can't but more than I won't.
I've heard environment can play a big part in decay. Just don't go committing B&Es or get committed to a mental health facility. I hear both of those experiences can cause an increase in the rate of decay. Then again, I've never experienced either so I have no experience to speak from. Maybe you'll meet nice people who reverse the effect of the poisoning? I hope you do. I'm a fan of happy endings.

I chose my name because I used to have friends. These friends and I played online video games, like capture the flag, but swap out flag for person, add in archery and sword fighting, and toss in some scantly clad women. One of the chief complaints I heard most make was, "You're/they're so Disney!" Meaning, the majority wanted to play the video game realistically, be super serious and stuffs. Being Disney was frowned upon because those people had no regard for the cultural norms.

Moana is so totally Disney, I just can't get any more Disney than I've been recently. Playing Moana is a nod to my sheepish immaturity in this new world order.

One day I'll be a pro, elite, a true professional. For now, I guess I'm a snowflake (discouraged uniqueness). I'm trying to keep up guys (and girls)!

Karlysymon

Superstar
I borrow the good if troubled name of the (here Latinized) Spanish physician, Michael Servetus. "Michael Servetus," wrote one of his biographers, "is the only Christian to have been burned by Catholics in effigy, and by Protestants [John Calvin] in actuality."

Apart from his significant accomplishments in medicine, which he may well have learned or borrowed in part from the then comparatively advanced Muslims ("Moors"), he was interested, to a fatal fault, it turned out, in Theology. Although he was Latin literate, he lived during a time, the Reformation, when the Bible was being translated and printed into the common vernacular languages of Europe. He published and defended his controversial "On the Errors of the Trinity" and doggedly insisted that John Calvin, who considered the position heretical, engage him in debate, public or private. Instead, and although Calvin did repeatedly warn him in advance against doing so, when Servetus re-entered Geneva, then a theocracy with Calvin as chief theocrat, Calvin had him arrested, tried and burned slowly at the stake. "Misericordia," Latin for "mercy," he is said to have cried out at his last.

The burning of Servetus in some ways marked a turning point in Christian Europe, a crisis of conscience, and initiated or contributed to a debate which, ultimately, led to an articulation of the so called Natural Law and to the "Rights of Man," ideas which found their way to the New World and into the US Constitution.

Some Unitarians, who have claimed the man as their own, would like to canonize Servetus and make him a saint and founding father, but, to me, he seems far from saintly, just fully, tragically human. I share a lot of similarities -or, rather, affinities- with the man, though not necessarily doctrinal. I am not entirely serious here, but, this time around, I am guarding my step, only stayed at the airport in Geneva and didn't venture out into the city from there, have a better sense of humor, am more interested in History than Theology, and certainly don't want to be spitting up any charcoal, even if it comes from my feathered peace-pipe or bong.
Why am i not suprised by this?

Serveto

Star
Hmm. @Karlysymon, maybe because, as @Serveto, I am only slightly less transparent than was Michael Servetus when, under the assumed, somewhat protective name of Michel de Villanovenus, he ill-advisedly showed up in Geneva and attended church the day John Calvin was preaching? No worries. That, except to those who have read the details of his biography, is an obscure reference. Nevertheless, it's my guess.:)

In some ways, maybe I am to certain aspects of History what Moana is to Disney and DD is to LOTR. But enough about me. Back to the discussions.

Last edited:

Karlysymon

Superstar
Hmm. @Karlysymon, maybe because, as @Serveto, I am only slightly less transparent than was Michael Servetus when, under the assumed, somewhat protective name of Michel de Villanovenus, he ill-advisedly showed up in Geneva and attended church the day John Calvin was preaching? No worries. That, except to those who have read the details of his biography, is an obscure reference. Nevertheless, it's my guess.:)

In some ways, maybe I am to certain aspects of History what Moana is to Disney and DD is to LOTR. But enough about me. Back to the discussions.
Well, you are relevant to this time and place. I hope you've been well and that life has been/is good to you!