Why Evangelicals Hate Muslims: An Evangelical Minister’s Perspective

Thunderian

Superstar
I have a few problems with this. First, this pastor doesn’t say “hate”. He says “dislike”. I’m not sure why @friend changed that. The premise of the video is based on the supposed figure of 57% of evangelicals having a negative view of Muslims. We aren’t told what the percentage is of non-evangelicals who have a negative view of Muslims, but since the Muslim who posted this has already lied, it’s not hard to see why some evangelicals might have a negative view. We also don’t get to learn what percentage of Muslims dislike — sorry, hate — evangelicals, but I imagine it fluctuates, depending on whether you’re in Detroit, Michigan, or Lagos, Nigeria, where evangelicals are routinely slaughtered by Boko Haram for the crime of being Christians. Hey, do you think the fact that Muslims make killing Christians an article of faith has anything to do with the negative view Christians have of them? Something to think about, anyway.

According to this pastor’s account, an imam asked if he could come along on a hunting trip. The pastor said that he could, but there was no way he could come along dressed in robes, carrying a gun, and yelling “Allahu Akbar!” He said that he told the imam to dress in western clothes, slick his hair back, and speak in a Mexican accent. Now, I’m just a simple evangelical, but it seems to me that if a pastor is preaching about treating Muslims as friends, the wrong way to go about it is to tell them the only way you’ll hang out with them is if they pretend they aren’t Muslim. I’ve had Muslim friends my whole life, and I’ve never asked them, as a condition of our friendship, to change the way they look or act. Maybe this pastor, like Muslims who lie about how evangelicals feel about them, is part of the problem.

I have a few problems with this. First, this pastor doesn’t say “hate”. He says “dislike”. I’m not sure why @friend changed that. The premise of the video is based on the supposed figure of 57% of evangelicals having a negative view of Muslims. We aren’t told what the percentage is of non-evangelicals who have a negative view of Muslims, but since the Muslim who posted this has already lied, it’s not hard to see why some evangelicals might have a negative view. We also don’t get to learn what percentage of Muslims dislike — sorry, hate — evangelicals, but I imagine it fluctuates, depending on whether you’re in Detroit, Michigan, or Lagos, Nigeria, where evangelicals are routinely slaughtered by Boko Haram for the crime of being Christians. Hey, do you think the fact that Muslims make killing Christians an article of faith has anything to do with the negative view Christians have of them? Something to think about, anyway.

According to this pastor’s account, an imam asked if he could come along on a hunting trip. The pastor said that he could, but there was no way he could come along dressed in robes, carrying a gun, and yelling “Allahu Akbar!” He said that he told the imam to dress in western clothes, slick his hair back, and speak in a Mexican accent. Now, I’m just a simple evangelical, but it seems to me that if a pastor is preaching about treating Muslims as friends, the wrong way to go about it is to tell them the only way you’ll hang out with them is if they pretend they aren’t Muslim. I’ve had Muslim friends my whole life, and I’ve never asked them, as a condition of our friendship, to change the way they look or act. Maybe this pastor, like Muslims who lie about how evangelicals feel about them, is part of the problem.
Strange you would get that from the video as the pastor has it titled on the site and even on the YT channel, Why Why Evangelicals Hate Muslims: An Evangelical Minister’s Perspective | Pastor Bob Roberts Jr.”. The pastor does further state in the video that it’s a dislike of Muslims so I’m not sure why you think the OP changed it, or has anything to do with it being changed.

As well, in the video, Pastor Bob does state the three reasons for the dislike of Muslims, which are:

1. We don’t know any Muslims
2. Crazy Escathology/What we believe about the End Times
3. Rejected the Gospel of Jesus

All three are clearly depicted on these boards and is basically the reason why threads go on as long as they do with the ongoing debate about how it’s all supposed to “end”. Compounded with the dislike and scorn of statements towards Muslims on here, as Pastor Bob said about number 3, Jesus said:

Greater love hath no man than this, than a man lay down his life for his friends.
- John 13:15​
Clearly, there doesn’t seem to any as your statement proves just that. However, it is you yourself that stated you're just a simple evangelical so it would explain much.

Thunderian

Superstar
Strange you would get that from the video as the pastor has it titled on the site and even on the YT channel, Why Why Evangelicals Hate Muslims: An Evangelical Minister’s Perspective | Pastor Bob Roberts Jr.”. The pastor does further state in the video that it’s a dislike of Muslims so I’m not sure why you think the OP changed it, or has anything to do with it being changed.

As well, in the video, Pastor Bob does state the three reasons for the dislike of Muslims, which are:

1. We don’t know any Muslims
2. Crazy Escathology/What we believe about the End Times
3. Rejected the Gospel of Jesus

All three are clearly depicted on these boards and is basically the reason why threads go on as long as they do with the ongoing debate about how it’s all supposed to “end”. Compounded with the dislike and scorn of statements towards Muslims on here, as Pastor Bob said about number 3, Jesus said:

Greater love hath no man than this, than a man lay down his life for his friends.
- John 13:15​
Clearly, there doesn’t seem to any as your statement proves just that. However, it is you yourself that stated you're just a simple evangelical so it would explain much.
No comment on Pastor Bob making his Muslim “friends” disguise themselves and speak in a Mexican accent?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Is it possible to like and respect people who hold to a religious position you disagree with? I have people in my life who are Mormons, Hindus, Muslims, Gnostics, Atheists and more.

Do I hate these people because they hold different spiritual perspectives to my own? No!

Am I able to bridge the gap and pretend that I believe that all roads lead to God? No.

Do I ever give up on any of them? I would love to say “never” but honestly I have to just say I try not to.

Thunderian

Superstar
Is it possible to like and respect people who hold to a religious position you disagree with? I have people in my life who are Mormons, Hindus, Muslims, Gnostics, Atheists and more.

Do I hate these people because they hold different spiritual perspectives to my own? No!

Am I able to bridge the gap and pretend that I believe that all roads lead to God? No.

Do I ever give up on any of them? I would love to say “never” but honestly I have to just say I try not to.
I have a strong dislike for pastors who use their own actions as lessons in sermons, especially when their actions are as bizarre as this pastor’s. Did he really make an imam dress and talk like a Mexican?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I have a strong dislike for pastors who use their own actions as lessons in sermons, especially when their actions are as bizarre as this pastor’s. Did he really make an imam dress and talk like a Mexican?
Kind of puts me in mind of Martin Luther. He so wanted to Jews to recognise their Messiah - after he had little success he turned on them and became hateful. He may have started in the Spirit but he ended in the flesh. When Christians lose sight of love and forget that they were once far from God and as lost as rose to whom they show contempt, they follow Luthers (and perhaps the pastor in the OP’s example).

1 Corinthians 13

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.

friend

Veteran
but since the Muslim who posted this has already lied, it’s not hard to see why some evangelicals might have a negative view.
it is as if you sleep until something is posted about israel or stuff which has something to do with israel. anyway you really were hasty in replying and placing false accusation. I simply copied the title from YouTube.

Maybe this pastor, like Muslims who lie about how evangelicals feel about them, is part of the problem.
I didn't lie. Neither the Pastor did.

Lets see who is lying :
Try putting these comments together
1-
Muslims make killing Christians an article of faith
2 -
I’ve had Muslim friends my whole life, and I’ve never asked them, as a condition of our friendship, to change the way they look or act.
isnt it scary and risky to be friends with those who make killing Christians an article of faith ?????

or the fact is that Muslims dont have such an article of faith rather it is the Israeli propaganda agents and orientalists who spread these lies?

depending on whether you’re in Detroit, Michigan, or Lagos, Nigeria, where evangelicals are routinely slaughtered by Boko Haram for the crime of being Christians
Majority of Muslims except for some dumb ones, firmly believe that ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Taliban and BokoHaram are projects planned and funded by the US/UK/France/Britain/Israel and implemented by the secular or royal spy services of Arab/non-Arab Muslim countries.
Funny ISIS had a shared border with Israel yet never shot a single bullet towards Israel.

TokiEl

Superstar
2 Cor 6 14Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

For what partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement can exist between the temple of God and idols?

For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will dwell with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be My people.”

Christians are the walking talking temple of God... that is true Christians who live by the words of Christ.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I think it is worth considering something...

Not all Atheists are monsters or live in line with their “doctrinal” beliefs. You might imagine an Atheist reading Friedrich Nietzsche and having a philosophy of pure nihilism. You might picture them embracing Darwin and living their lives trampling over others in the struggle for survival. Sometimes people live quite inconsistently with their beliefs as their innate humanity keeps them from the sillier extremes of their world-view.

The question we should all be asking of our respective world views is whether we are able, or are even wish to face living out what we claim to subscribe to. If we find something within us at odds with it, perhaps we should regard that as a red light on a car dashboard and realise that all is not well?

Gnome

Established
You might imagine an Atheist reading Friedrich Nietzsche and having a philosophy of pure nihilism. You might picture them embracing Darwin and living their lives trampling over others in the struggle for survival.
Why do you have to make me cringe so hard. Nietzsche was not, nor ever was, a Nihilist. His philosophy is REACTIONARY towards the European Nihilism of his time, of which kept developing after Nietzsche's death. Nonetheless Nietzsche was and still is very influential and has provided the groundwork for later philosophy that also combated Nihilism, providing more frameworks that didn't rely on sacred cows to unravel the nature of being, human experience, meaning, expression, culture etc.
Central ideas in Nietzsche's philosophy such as will to power, Ubermench, the principle underlying the hypothetical 'eternal return' and so forth, all make no sense in a Nihilistic philosophy. Nietzsche was very much about destroying sacred cows though and establishing more sincere, non-fallacious views towards the world, yes. Nietzsche leaned more towards naturalism but spirituality was very much a strong force in his work, and it really shows in the passionate character of his writing style and his very ambitious approach to slaughtering the Nihilism that was approaching Europe at the time.

As for Darwin, well any modern Darwinians would criticize your for suggesting that we evolve sociologically to trample over each other, when anything but that has been the case. Collaboration and empathetic moral re-evaluation has been at the heart of much of modern sociology and even politics. Without collaboration we wouldn't have such advanced technology and without empathy we wouldn't have rehabilitation facilities, hospitals etc don't you think that the view of Darwinism you fantasize about would now have no use for such things as hospitals because "they're injured/unhealthy and are now below society" or something to that manner? yet all we've seen is increased advancements with trying to be more and more humane and cater towards the benefit of those in hospitals, in spite of how busy and cluttered hospitals can be, as demanding spaces.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Why do you have to make me cringe so hard. Nietzsche was not, nor ever was, a Nihilist. His philosophy is REACTIONARY towards the European Nihilism of his time, of which kept developing after Nietzsche's death. Nonetheless Nietzsche was and still is very influential and has provided the groundwork for later philosophy that also combated Nihilism, providing more frameworks that didn't rely on sacred cows to unravel the nature of being, human experience, meaning, expression, culture etc.
Central ideas in Nietzsche's philosophy such as will to power, Ubermench, the principle underlying the hypothetical 'eternal return' and so forth, all make no sense in a Nihilistic philosophy. Nietzsche was very much about destroying sacred cows though and establishing more sincere, non-fallacious views towards the world, yes. Nietzsche leaned more towards naturalism but spirituality was very much a strong force in his work, and it really shows in the passionate character of his writing style and his very ambitious approach to slaughtering the Nihilism that was approaching Europe at the time.

As for Darwin, well any modern Darwinians would criticize your for suggesting that we evolve sociologically to trample over each other, when anything but that has been the case. Collaboration and empathetic moral re-evaluation has been at the heart of much of modern sociology and even politics. Without collaboration we wouldn't have such advanced technology and without empathy we wouldn't have rehabilitation facilities, hospitals etc don't you think that the view of Darwinism you fantasize about would now have no use for such things as hospitals because "they're injured/unhealthy and are now below society" or something to that manner? yet all we've seen is increased advancements with trying to be more and more humane and cater towards the benefit of those in hospitals, in spite of how busy and cluttered hospitals can be, as demanding spaces.
To be fair, Nietzsche is identified as being associated with Nihilism and Anti-Nihilism.

His philosophy took away the source (for him at least) of meaning in the universe...

2338243E-541B-4451-AFFF-88B781B1B547.png

No doubt his subsequent work tried to apply a sticking plaster and create some kind of meaning worth having, but as far as I can tell he came no closer to it than the dark musings of the writer in Ecclesiastes. He also died a very unhappy man.

Gnome

Established
To be fair, Nietzsche is identified as being associated with Nihilism and Anti-Nihilism.

His philosophy took away the source (for him at least) of meaning in the universe...

View attachment 43634

No doubt his subsequent work tried to apply a sticking plaster and create some kind of meaning worth having, but as far as I can tell he came no closer to it than the dark musings of the writer in Ecclesiastes. He also died a very unhappy man.
That's from his classic book Thus Spoke Zarathustra, it's also not written in a supporting tone, it is speaking of the implications of socially removing God from our contemporary consciousness. It is not about anything metaphysical, nor ultimately objective (as that is beside the point of the sociological consequences, in Nietzsche's view). It is basically stating that all of human society for the past few thousand years has sought to socio-politically assert and explain itself in one way, but through the removal of God from these primary intellectual endeavors of our contemporary consciousness, we have scarred ourselves in a manner much like reaching puberty. We have crossed a cultural threshold, according to Nietzsche, that is fearful, towards a place in culture that we will never be able to return from (aka you can't 'unkill God'). Or to use another analogy, we have severed the umbilical cord of society and culture.
That passage, as the book is written semi-fictitiously and the character saying the words is Zarathustra (though it has no connection to the actual Zoroaster in any way at all) not Nietzsche directly, but the sentiment itself became an initiative for him to examine morality across cultures and history, and to examine political ideals across cultures and history in order to try to make sense of the implications of the metaphorical 'death of God' in the post-enlightenment (17th century) materialist-capitalist zeitgeist.

It helps to study stuff instead of repeat memes and vaguely conveyed misunderstandings :)