Why Does The Tasmanian Devil Have 20 Offspring But Only Four Nipples?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
In the creationist video series Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution they discuss the features of insects and animals that don’t seem as if they could’ve arisen from gradual change (I’ll explore a couple of these claims later on). Unfortunately, there’s no counter-series titled Incredible Creatures that Defy Intelligent Design. But if there were, it might feature animals like the Tasmanian Devil.

According to National Geographic, Tasmanian devil “mothers give birth after about three weeks of pregnancy to 20 or 30 very tiny young. These raisin-size babies crawl up the mother’s fur and into her pouch. However, the mother has only four nipples, so only a handful of babies survive.”

So these Tasmanian-devil-raisin-babies (or “joeys”) claw their way from their mother’s vagina up to the pouch. Once there, they attach to a nipple, which becomes engorged and clamped inside the newborn’s mouth, ensuring it does not fall off. But since the female only has four nipples, the majority of her offspring will die.

The unlucky fifth Tasmanian Devil probably arrives at the pouch and thinks to itself, “Wait a minute… one, two, three, four… f@*k! Where the hell are all the other nipples?” The other Devils arrive close behind and ask the same question, “What the hell is going on in here? Why are they only four nipples!?” “Everyone calm down,” says one religiously-minded devil, “There’s no way the designer would create all of us just to let us die here, everything will work out, you just wait and see!”

Unfortunately, these poor little devils will spend their short meaningless lives searching for nipples until they die (not unlike human males).

Design vs. Evolution

From a design perspective, it would obviously make more sense to give the Tasmanian Devil smaller litters, or more teats.

From an evolutionary prospective, nature doesn’t care about dead offspring, so long as the animal continues to reproduce. This race from womb to nipple may also help to select the most viable of the offspring.

Conclusion

God apparently dislikes all devils.

https://500questions.wordpress.com/2012/12/01/39-why-does-the-tasmanian-devil-have-20-offspring-but-only-four-nipples/

The unlucky fifth Tasmanian Devil probably arrives at the pouch and thinks to itself, “Wait a minute… one, two, three, four… f@*k! Where the hell are all the other nipples?” The other Devils arrive close behind and ask the same question, “What the hell is going on in here? Why are they only four nipples!?” “Everyone calm down,” says one religiously-minded devil, “There’s no way the designer would create all of us just to let us die here, everything will work out, you just wait and see!”

yes because this actually happens.

Mr. Blah

Veteran

yes because this actually happens.
So, does this phenomena prove that evolution theory correct?
Survival of the fittest.
The fittest in this case is the four Tasmanian Devil's babies who suck all the four nipples first.
They are chosen by nature to survive.

The others are left to thirst to death.

Kung Fu

Superstar

So, does this phenomena prove that evolution theory correct?
Survival of the fittest.
The fittest in this case is the four Tasmanian Devil's babies who suck all the four nipples first.
They are chosen by nature to survive.

The others are left to thirst to death.
I don't really have a problem with evolution/natural selection, it makes sense. Yes, survival of the fittest, like ejaculation right?

The position of religion includes what the greeks called mythos.
ie the mythological.
immature people or people with issues think of mythos as a lie. Rather than seeing that people are susceptible to dangerous narratives without a good mythos that fills the gaps.
So for example the ancient israelites who would have walked with Moses...would it have been wise to share modern astronomy/physics with them?

it's kind of like when Mohammad SAW allowed a simple woman to believe God is 'above the heavens' (physically pointing upwards). What was he supposed to tell a simple woman
'no, God is transcendent'
would she 'get it'?

recognising what is mythos is just about being open minded and understanding the human mind. bad religion=people taking mythos literally.

kilotune

Rookie
there is no evidence that the first one to reach the teats would be the strongest.

SkepticCat

Veteran
Is the point of this thread simply to take a stab at the Godists on the board? I get the impression that's all this is really about.

Nature also features animals killing their own young, the eating of one's own mating partners, dominance and aggression and much more. Why even take up a topic like the alleged lack of nipples on this particular species?

Does this man's incredibly trustworthy theories prove to you there is no point to Creation? More importantly, I think: Why is it apparently so important to so many people - yourself presumably included - to dismiss the notion of any higher order of things? Why does it bother you so much some people believe there is a purpose to all of this?

To me, it doesn't even matter whether this particular species can be 'proven' to be 'illlogically' designed. It's still not going to change a thing about my belief in a higher order - and, even if I did believe no such order and no God did exist, that still wouldn't change anything for me about how I wish to conduct my life or my moral convictions. These stabs at Creationists are simply vile and utterly devoid of purpose.

Last edited: