Why do people seem so keen to throw away their privacy?!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Julian Assange warns this generation is the last to be free of surveillance and says 'idiotic parents plastering photos all over Facebook' are partly to blame

4446238-0-image-m-9_1537522214996.jpg

• Julian Assange said children are known to 'world powers' within a year of birth
  • He blamed passport applications and parents posting photos on Facebook
  • Wikileaks founder said this means global surveillance of citizens is 'unavoidable'
  • Also warned that global cyber war is inevitable as internet has no borders
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6192539/Julian-Assange-warns-generation-free-surveillance.html

elsbet

Superstar
thats good, but they can listen in through your television and learn far more about you than anything you could have posted.
It's funny.. when I was a kid (very young), I assumed it was a two way device. You could hear them, and they could hear you.

You kind of make me regret my TV purchase though.. i didn't have one for years. I wasn't going to get one, either, but my mother was going to buy one for me (how can you not have a tv?). So I buckled and just bought the one I wanted myself.

Damn you, Netflix.

Edit-- just came back inside, and the TV had reset itself... Who's watching Netflix?
Like it was eavesdropping or something. :confused:

Damn you, polymoog.

Vixy

Star
Julian Assange warns this generation is the last to be free of surveillance and says 'idiotic parents plastering photos all over Facebook' are partly to blame

View attachment 15723

• Julian Assange said children are known to 'world powers' within a year of birth
  • He blamed passport applications and parents posting photos on Facebook
  • Wikileaks founder said this means global surveillance of citizens is 'unavoidable'
  • Also warned that global cyber war is inevitable as internet has no borders
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6192539/Julian-Assange-warns-generation-free-surveillance.html
He's not wrong. people nowadays ARE idiots. Even if they were shown and told about what facebook is about, they STILL use it and plaster their faces! Sometmes I think they actually deserve whats coming..

Maes17

Superstar
Wait, you dont know that they listen and watch through both the tv (those with a camera of course) and the webcam? Same with the phone. And if you dont have a phone your friend might have one and so your conversaton is STILL recorded.
I knew about the cameras on computers and such. I knew about them listening through smart tv's too.

Some stuff is still hard to get away from cause I have a phone

Vixy

Star
I wish I was! Usually it does that after a few episodes play but this has happened a few times when I stop looking at the tv. I usually start reading my notes and Netflix will just stop playing. It’s so creepy
This is pretty damn fucked up. How many others does this happen to and noone reacts? Would be interesting to find t what technology behind this is doing the work? Facial recognition? If so, it has scanned in your face without your consent. Is that even legal?

Violette

Star
This is pretty damn fucked up. How many others does this happen to and noone reacts? Would be interesting to find t what technology behind this is doing the work? Facial recognition? If so, it has scanned in your face without your consent. Is that even legal?
I’m not sure exactly but I remember a couple of years ago my phone offered the option of “smart stay” where it would only stay on if you were looking at it to save battery life or some BS like that lol I opted out and kept my camera covered. Another really weird thing happened when I had Snapchat. It was when it first came out and I didn’t have it very long but I opened the app and it already had a still of my face illuminated in my room before I turned my lights off like it was watching me when I wasn’t using the app. I immediately deleted it. This was before it had all those filters which is clearly a cute way of developing sophisticated facial recognition technology. I’m sure it is legal though because people such as myself back then agree to use these services without reading the small print. It isn’t ethical though

Last edited: