Why Do Empaths Attract Narcissists, Sociopaths And Psychoaths

Tatilina

Star
The number one quality that I believe makes women targets for psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists is empathy. While most women and men have some degree of empathy for others, I believe that those of us who are highly sensitive, empathic, and who struggle with being able to hold others accountable, are much more likely to attract these types of predators in our lives. A Youtube viewer from Berlin emailed me and asked me a few questions about being a female empath who has continually attracted narcissists into her life. 1) I am an empath and I keep attracting narcissists. 2) Why do empaths attract narcissists? 3) What can I do to protect myself moving further ahead? Natasha is using the POWER OF SELF OBSERVATION to mold the clay of her life. She is asking powerful questions and is clear that she can take control of her life if she knows what she needs to control. Psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists are attracted to empathetic people for a number of reasons. 1)An empath is highly understanding. 2) An empath is highly forgiving. 3) An empath is highly loyal. 4) An empath seeks to understand poor behavior. 5) An empath tends to struggle with enforcing boundaries that they perceive may hurt another person. 6) An empath may struggle to hold other people accountable for poor behavior. 7) An empath does not strike back with the same force a narcissist, sociopath, or psychopath does. 8) When an empathetic woman meets a narcissist, sociopath or psychopath, and these men vomit emotions all over the empath, the women tend to 'fall in love' with the 'concept' that these men are so open with their emotions. 9) Empaths can fall very early for a psychopath because these types of men mimic their victim's emotional needs. This mimicking of emotions lures a highly sensitive, emotional woman in. This initial connection makes a woman feel highly connected to a narcissist or psychopath. Narcissists, sociopaths, and psychopaths are on the lookout for people that will tolerate their bad behavior. Like puppet masters, they scour the environment for warm-hearted people who are highly susceptible to other people's energy. If you are an empath, a lightworker, a codependent or someone who is highly sensitive, you are a target for emotional predators like narcissists, sociopaths, and psychopaths. This video will teach you some of the things you can do to arm against their agenda's to harm you.

Aero

Superstar
I don't call it mimicking because I don't think that's accurate. I call it mirroring. Because it's more like holding up a mirror for the other person to see themselves. And it's not all about manipulating them. It can be done in a positive way.

Tatilina

Star
I don't call it mimicking because I don't think that's accurate. I call it mirroring. Because it's more like holding up a mirror for the other person to see themselves. And it's not all about manipulating them. It can be done in a positive way.
You didn't watch the video. That, above the video, I copied and pasted from the video description. You should watch the video first and hear what she has to say before commenting.

Tatilina

Star
Narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths don't mirror emotions and yes they do manipulate people and no they don't do it for positive reasons. You should study a bit more about these personality disorders first so you can gain a proper understanding of them.

JoChris

Superstar
The number one quality that I believe makes women targets for psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists is empathy. While most women and men have some degree of empathy for others, I believe that those of us who are highly sensitive, empathic, and who struggle with being able to hold others accountable, are much more likely to attract these types of predators in our lives. A Youtube viewer from Berlin emailed me and asked me a few questions about being a female empath who has continually attracted narcissists into her life. 1) I am an empath and I keep attracting narcissists. 2) Why do empaths attract narcissists? 3) What can I do to protect myself moving further ahead? Natasha is using the POWER OF SELF OBSERVATION to mold the clay of her life. She is asking powerful questions and is clear that she can take control of her life if she knows what she needs to control. Psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists are attracted to empathetic people for a number of reasons. 1)An empath is highly understanding. 2) An empath is highly forgiving. 3) An empath is highly loyal. 4) An empath seeks to understand poor behavior. 5) An empath tends to struggle with enforcing boundaries that they perceive may hurt another person. 6) An empath may struggle to hold other people accountable for poor behavior. 7) An empath does not strike back with the same force a narcissist, sociopath, or psychopath does. 8) When an empathetic woman meets a narcissist, sociopath or psychopath, and these men vomit emotions all over the empath, the women tend to 'fall in love' with the 'concept' that these men are so open with their emotions. 9) Empaths can fall very early for a psychopath because these types of men mimic their victim's emotional needs. This mimicking of emotions lures a highly sensitive, emotional woman in. This initial connection makes a woman feel highly connected to a narcissist or psychopath. Narcissists, sociopaths, and psychopaths are on the lookout for people that will tolerate their bad behavior. Like puppet masters, they scour the environment for warm-hearted people who are highly susceptible to other people's energy. If you are an empath, a lightworker, a codependent or someone who is highly sensitive, you are a target for emotional predators like narcissists, sociopaths, and psychopaths. This video will teach you some of the things you can do to arm against their agenda's to harm you.

My relationship with my ex exactly.

Tatilina

Star
My relationship with my ex exactly.
Unfortunately my dad and hubsand are narcissists, BUT my husband has come to realize it with my help of course and is working to change it. You can't come at them directly though or they get offended and go on the offensive. My dad, its always about him, he loves to be the center of attention! He's a compulsive talker too lol! I feel sorry for him sometimes because people just have to abruptly walk away because he won't stop talking.

Aero

Superstar
I don't believe in personality disorders like narcissism. So studying would be a waste of time. I believe in neurosis, and that it's caused by lack of balance between subconscious and conscious. And these problems stem from deeper things than a label. So with that said I understand the difficulties of situations like this. Don't take this the wrong way.

Do you believe that they can stop being narcissists? And if so, why not stop being an Empath instead? It sounds like that would solve your problem too.

JoChris

Superstar
There's probably a spectrum for NPD. it would take an incredibly insightful person with extreme NPD to face reality with honesty. It's supposed to be one of the most challenging areas for therapists to deal with.

My mother actually accused my father of it. (Now that is projection). In UK descendant Anglo-Saxon countries he would most likely come across that way. However every person from Argentina I have come across has the same tendency to being opinionated and waving hands in the air. If you don't want their opinion too bad - *apparently* you need it for your own good. :rolleyes:

Warning: this man actually is an extreme grandiose NPD and admits it.
He has a very good intellectual understanding but partially blames empaths who have a pattern of getting involved with NPDs.

Google Sam Vahkin to see his websites as well as people's criticisms of his material.

JoChris

Superstar
I don't believe in personality disorders like narcissism. So studying would be a waste of time. I believe in neurosis, and that it's caused by lack of balance between subconscious and conscious. And these problems stem from deeper things than a label. So with that said I understand the difficulties of situations like this. Don't take this the wrong way.

Do you believe that they can stop being narcissists? And if so, why not stop being an Empath instead? It sounds like that would solve your problem too.
Consider yourself fortunate to not have been in serious relationships with any narcissists. My ex was a grandiose one. My mother is a covert/ fragile one.

Aero

Superstar
Consider yourself fortunate to not have been in serious relationships with any narcissists. My ex was a grandiose one. My mother is a covert/ fragile one.
I have, and she had problem relationships with both her parents. Her relationships are better with them now, and she is better too. Narcissism cured?

JoChris

Superstar
I have, and she had problem relationships with both her parents. Her relationships are better with them now, and she is better too. Narcissism cured?
Then she may have had symptoms of them, and as the daughter-parents relationship improved, her symptoms did too. She could have just matured as a person too.

When I am referring to NPD I am thinking of the actual clinical disorder, not modern culture's calling of anyone who's too full of themself "a narcissist".
From http://outofthefog.website/personality-disorders-1/2015/12/6/narcissistic-personality-disorder-npd
  1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  4. requires excessive admiration
  5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
  6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
  7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
  8. is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
  9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Tatilina

Star
There's probably a spectrum for NPD. it would take an incredibly insightful person with extreme NPD to face reality with honesty. It's supposed to be one of the most challenging areas for therapists to deal with.

My mother actually accused my father of it. (Now that is projection). In UK descendant Anglo-Saxon countries he would most likely come across that way. However every person from Argentina I have come across has the same tendency to being opinionated and waving hands in the air. If you don't want their opinion too bad - *apparently* you need it for your own good. :rolleyes:

Warning: this man actually is an extreme grandiose NPD and admits it.
He has a very good intellectual understanding but partially blames empaths who have a pattern of getting involved with NPDs.

Google Sam Vahkin to see his websites as well as people's criticisms of his material.
I think that in order to change their disorder is they need to be aware of it and themselves. Once they admit to their NPD, they can work on changing their behaviour. As an empath, it is my responsibility to know narcissists, sociopath and psychopaths traits and behaviours and then stay away from them having no contact whatsoever with them. You learn as you go. :)

Tatilina

Star
Then she may have had symptoms of them, and as the daughter-parents relationship improved, her symptoms did too. She could have just matured as a person too.

When I am referring to NPD I am thinking of the actual clinical disorder, not modern culture's calling of anyone who's too full of themself "a narcissist".
From http://outofthefog.website/personality-disorders-1/2015/12/6/narcissistic-personality-disorder-npd
  1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
  6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
  7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
This is a great NDP description and we need to bring to their attention the people who are narcissistic because its not okay to be self absorbed and selfish. It does nothing but hurt the people around you and destroys relationships. Its also very mentally and emotionally abusive and causes a lot of permanent damage.

JoChris

Superstar
I answer yes to nearly all of these questions:

From http://www.willieverbegoodenough.com/narcissistic-mother-survey/

(Check all those that apply to your relationship with your mother)

1. When you discuss your life issues with your mother, does she divert the discussion to talk about herself?
  2. When you discuss your feelings with your mother, does she try to top the feeling with her own?
  3. Does your mother act jealous of you?
  4. Does your mother lack empathy for your feelings?
  5. Does your mother only support those things you do that reflect on her as a “good mother"?
  6. Have you consistently felt a lack of emotional closeness with your mother?
  7. Have you consistently questioned whether or not your mother likes you or loves you?
  8. Does your mother only do things for you when others can see?
  9. When something happens in your life (accident, illness, divorce) does your mother react with how it will affect her rather than how you feel?
  10. Is or was your mother overly conscious of what others think (neighbors, friends, family, co-workers)?
  11. Does your mother deny her own feelings?
  12. Does your mother blame things on you or others rather than own responsibility for her feelings or actions?
  13. Is or was your mother hurt easily and then carried a grudge for a long time without resolving the problem?
  14. Do you feel you were a slave to your mother?
  15. Do you feel you were responsible for your mother’s ailments or sickness (headaches, stress, illness)?
  16. Did you have to take care of your mother’s physical needs as a child?
  17. Do you feel unaccepted by your mother?
  18. Do you feel your mother was critical of you?
  19. Do you feel helpless in the presence of your mother?
  20. Are you shamed often by your mother?
  21. Do you feel your mother knows the real you?
  22. Does your mother act like the world should revolve around her?
  23. Do you find it difficult to be a separate person from your mother?
  24. Does your mother appear phony to you?
  25. Does your mother want to control your choices?
  26. Does your mother swing from egotistical to a depressed mood?
  27. Did you feel you had to take care of your mother’s emotional needs as a child?
  28. Do you feel manipulated in the presence of your mother?
  29. Do you feel valued by mother for what you do rather than who you are?
  30. Is your mother controlling, acting like a victim or martyr?
  31. Does your mother make you act different from how you really feel?
  32. Does your mother compete with you?
  33. Does your mother always have to have things her way?

Tatilina

Star
I answer yes to nearly all of these questions:

From http://www.willieverbegoodenough.com/narcissistic-mother-survey/

(Check all those that apply to your relationship with your mother)

1. When you discuss your life issues with your mother, does she divert the discussion to talk about herself?
  2. When you discuss your feelings with your mother, does she try to top the feeling with her own?
  3. Does your mother act jealous of you?
  4. Does your mother lack empathy for your feelings?
  5. Does your mother only support those things you do that reflect on her as a “good mother"?
  6. Have you consistently felt a lack of emotional closeness with your mother?
  7. Have you consistently questioned whether or not your mother likes you or loves you?
  8. Does your mother only do things for you when others can see?
  9. When something happens in your life (accident, illness, divorce) does your mother react with how it will affect her rather than how you feel?
  10. Is or was your mother overly conscious of what others think (neighbors, friends, family, co-workers)?
  11. Does your mother deny her own feelings?
  12. Does your mother blame things on you or others rather than own responsibility for her feelings or actions?
  13. Is or was your mother hurt easily and then carried a grudge for a long time without resolving the problem?
  14. Do you feel you were a slave to your mother?
  15. Do you feel you were responsible for your mother’s ailments or sickness (headaches, stress, illness)?
  16. Did you have to take care of your mother’s physical needs as a child?
  17. Do you feel unaccepted by your mother?
  18. Do you feel your mother was critical of you?
  19. Do you feel helpless in the presence of your mother?
  20. Are you shamed often by your mother?
  21. Do you feel your mother knows the real you?
  22. Does your mother act like the world should revolve around her?
  23. Do you find it difficult to be a separate person from your mother?
  24. Does your mother appear phony to you?
  25. Does your mother want to control your choices?
  26. Does your mother swing from egotistical to a depressed mood?
  27. Did you feel you had to take care of your mother’s emotional needs as a child?
  28. Do you feel manipulated in the presence of your mother?
  29. Do you feel valued by mother for what you do rather than who you are?
  30. Is your mother controlling, acting like a victim or martyr?
  31. Does your mother make you act different from how you really feel?
  32. Does your mother compete with you?
  33. Does your mother always have to have things her way?
Same here, but she wasn't always like that though.

skycoaster

Rookie
I think that in order to change their disorder is they need to be aware of it and themselves. Once they admit to their NPD, they can work on changing their behaviour. As an empath, it is my responsibility to know narcissists, sociopath and psychopaths traits and behaviours and then stay away from them having no contact whatsoever with them. You learn as you go. :)
I agree, I guess the question is how much willing are they going to do it, the thing is that they have the entire different reality and they don't see the same way we do, so there's that.

UnderAlienControl

Superstar

I'm an empath, and yes narcissists are attracted to empaths and I'm gonna tell you why. Because they can count on the empath to take care of them and clean up their messes they create in life. Trust me, you don't even wanna know about the sh*t I've been through with it, but I went down that rabbit hole and that rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than you might think.. I know how it ALL works now, and I'm still fighting for that person but they are slipping farther and farther away from who they really are. Once you know this one bit of info though, it all makes perfect sense: A sociopathic narcissist is nothing more than a demon in human flesh. Chew that one over... Got a little song about it, go a little sumthin' like this and a 1 and a 2 and 3 and a 4...(<>..<>)

And you'll try to move on, or break up with them but they won't let you. Once their secrets are out though, they'll fly the coop and try to put it all off on you in denial of obvious facts and circumstances and then that's when they become a little scary i.e. crazy/psychotic/denial:

And then, when their sh*t is laid bare, it's all your fault because they can do no wrong, even when it's proven fact showing they are truly sociopathic, but it's all in their heads and all you can say is:

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar

I mean I agree those are symptoms. But the first six things kind of mean the same thing to me. They could be summed up better by simply saying out of control ego.

Tatilina

Star
I agree, I guess the question is how much willing are they going to do it, the thing is that they have the entire different reality and they don't see the same way we do, so there's that.
Oh he's very willing, after the passing away of his parents, it changed him a lot. I think
it all really depends where that person is in life and the circumstances that there in or had to face. So many different factors to take into consideration. Devastating events change your life and you as person forever whether ot be good or bad. To me, it brought him out of his selfish state of mind and made hom realize how important the people in his life are. He told after his parents passed away how easily we rake for granted our loved ones existance and that life really isn't just about us. I've experienced dramatic and drastic changed literally over night with my mom and my hubby. My mom's was bad, but my hubsand's was good. It is possible and it really depends on the circumstances and things building up before it.