Why Do Christians Do This?

manama

Star
I can't help but see this pattern.

Jesus is all good, he is love and mercy etc in comparison to this God or the father is made to look like an antagonized figure.

Jesus cares, he is love there for everyone and he will protect everyone and take you to heaven etc

God is all anger, he doesn't care about individuals but only Jesus, he doesn't even care or differentiate sins from each other. All sins are equal and thus God is all anger, and send people to hell etc.

Even if Christians say God loves them while talking about the Father, The only "love" God has shown people, is sending Jesus.

he on his own doesn't even come close to being merciful.

Why make God look like such a cruel villian?

Trenton

Veteran
I don't feel that way about God. He's more like a strict father than a deplorable a-hole.

I'm glad he sent Jesus, but even if he didn't, I'd still try to obey him and please him.

Good news is, he did send Jesus so it's sort of a non issue for me. I won't understand God but I can't still trust him. I believe he loves us, even if that love seems tough in the OT.

manama

Star
I don't feel that way about God. He's more like a strict father than a deplorable a-hole.

I'm glad he sent Jesus, but even if he didn't, I'd still try to obey him and please him.

Good news is, he did send Jesus so it's sort of a non issue for me. I won't understand God but I can't still trust him. I believe he loves us, even if that love seems tough in the OT.
But Jesus is God and they are the same. So its still the same issue. Or is it like split personality disorder where one part of God is loving, and other is angry?

Trenton

Veteran
But Jesus is God and they are the same. So its still the same issue. Or is it like split personality disorder where one part of God is loving, and other is angry?
Not at all. God is just as loving as Christ. Christ came as a man to experience our struggle and to pay the price for all our sins. Every last human on Earth who was or will be.

Jesus isn't coming to bring peace either btw, he's coming with a sword to separate the wheat from the chaff. That sounds cruel to a lot of non believers too, but I totally understand why he has to do this. It doesn't make him a jerk and it didn't make God a jerk to do what he saw fit to the Earth some few thousand years ago. Drowning the whole world? Sucks. But it needed to be done.

Sodom and Gomorrah will have a chance for salvation at the ressurection of the dead on judgement day too.

So will freaking Hitler.

I think if anything sounds fair enough that's it.

manama

Star
Sodom and Gomorrah will have a chance for salvation at the ressurection of the dead on judgement day too.

So will freaking Hitler.
Does that mean I will too? In case Christianity ends up being the correct religion and Jesus is standing there like "through me is salvation" and im like heck yea i believe in you. Would i go to heaven?

Trenton

Veteran
But he made us, so he knows about our struggles more than we do. So why did God need to experience it.

Why did he not give the same right to the fallen angels or Satan? Was he not their God?
He came as a sinless fleshly creature equal to a human in order to pay the ultimate price for us. God chose to be born and DIE for all of us. I won't question it further and only say "Wow, thanks. I won't forget this or take it for granted."

Satan doesn't get this opportunity (as far as I'm aware) because he beheld the glory of God with his very own eyes. He lived with God in heaven. He has no excuse.

manama

Star
He came as a sinless fleshly creature equal to a human in order to pay the ultimate price for us. God chose to be born and DIE for all of us. I won't question it further and only say "Wow, thanks. I won't forget this or take it for granted."
But he came back to life like 3 days later. That isn't dying now is it? Sacrifice is when he would cease to exist. If i am a starfish, if i cut my hand for you, that isn't really a huge deal since it would grow back in a few days. Or more like cutting my hair.

Satan doesn't get this opportunity (as far as I'm aware) because he beheld the glory of God with his very own eyes. He lived with God in heaven. He has no excuse.
But he made a mistake. Why not give him a chance to apologize or something?

rainerann

Star
NonChristians make a distinction between the character of Christ and the character of God from the Old Testament. They do this to discredit the Bible. Christians believe that Christ is who He says He is because of the way He represents the Father as demonstrated from the Old Testament. When Christ says He knows the Father, we know that this is true because of what the Old Testament says about Him. There is a fluidity to the Old and New Testament that is not recognized by the ones who try to discredit the Bible. Without this claim that there were a difference, they wouldn't be able to justify rejecting Christ.

Try reading the Psalms and tell me that the loving Father of the Old Testament isn't the same person Jesus is talking about and representing in his ministry.

manama

Star
NonChristians make a distinction between the character of Christ and the character of God from the Old Testament. They do this to discredit the Bible. Christians believe that Christ is who He says He is because of the way He represents the Father as demonstrated from the Old Testament. When Christ says He knows the Father, we know that this is true because of what the Old Testament says about Him. There is a fluidity to the Old and New Testament that is not recognized by the ones who try to discredit the Bible. Without this claim that there were a difference, they wouldn't be able to justify rejecting Christ.

Try reading the Psalms and tell me that the loving Father of the Old Testament isn't the same person Jesus is talking about and representing in his ministry.
Are Christ and the Father the same?

Trenton

Veteran
Sorry I misread your previous post.

If it turns out Christ isn't God then my entire faith is pointless and I will be damned. I believe it is true he is sent by God and he died for me and everyone else though, so I'm happy with my position.

The Bible isn't clear on whether or not Christ is God. It is perfectly clear that he is God's son according to the Gospels, and Jesus said no one will come unto the Father but by him.

I worship God, not Jesus. But I trust Jesus as my savior, through him I am reconciled to God.

Trenton

Veteran
What if i die and realize that isn't the case and Christ isn't God? What do i do then?
You're still Muslim yes? So if you are ressurected with everyone else, and you don't need to accept Christ, it will be up to God if he will enter you into the recreated Earth.

If you do need to accept Christ, you'll have the opportunity to do so.

I choose to believe in Jesus here and now because I feel that it's true and I trust that. Easy peasy.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure God will still be merciful. I don't worship Christ as God Almighty. I trust him and his promise to mankind is all. In the end I truly believe it's still up to God whether or not I deserve eternal life.

Even if I accept Jesus as my personal savior, that doesn't change that I could still be ineligible. I have been quite wicked in my life. Still trying to change that.

How can God have distinct personalities? I can understand different aspects but how Jesus and God have such distinct personalities if they are not separate beings? God is one.
If God is One and Jesus is God and the son and father are co-equal (with the holy spirit), then why did Jesus say that "The father (God) is greater than me." And why did Jesus say that He could nothing of himself? And why did Jesus say he wasn't doing his will but God's will? How does the Trinitarian's creed account for these plain and clear statements of Jesus?

what do Christians say is the Name of the Father? Like in the "our Father" prayer... Jesus says "Hallowed be thy Name" so why do Christians make Jesus' name hallowed when Jesus said that God's Name should be hallowed?

Thunderian

Superstar
grateful servant, when Jesus Christ was on earth, he was subject to God the Father. All the instances you quoted are in that context. If you ever get a chance, you should study the New Testament. It's pretty clearly explained there.