Why Did Satan And 1/3 Of The Angels Rebel?

a son of God

Rookie
Another question, in what way are we "made in the image and likeness" of God that the angels are not?

Gen 1:26 "Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness"

This is not said about angels. In fact

Heb 1:14 says ..."Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"

So Lucifer was going to SERVE us. Is this what instigated his rebellion? Was he too proud

Any thoughts?

Todd

Star
In Genesis God told Adam and Eve to do the following five things right after he said that man was made in God's image. (Genesis 1:26-28)
Be Fruitful
Multiply
Fill the earth
Subdue
Rule
Angels were never given this charge as far as we can tell from the Bible.
Satan attempted #4 and #5 and in Genesis 6, the "sons of God" mated with the daughters of men, so they also attempted #1-3.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I think we were created in His image in the sense that we were morally and intellectually upright, as He is. But also man and woman were supposed to maintain a one-ness as that upheld in the Godhead.

He already had an exalted position in heaven, as a covering cherub, and i believe he rebelled before man's creation.
What instigated his rebellion?... "i will be like the Most High"...he thought he could govern better than God and the last 6000yrs have shown the kind he intended to establish.

Todd

Star
I think we were created in His image in the sense that we were morally and intellectually upright, as He is. But also man and woman were supposed to maintain a one-ness as that upheld in the Godhead.

He already had an exalted position in heaven, as a covering cherub, and i believe he rebelled before man's creation.
What instigated his rebellion?... "i will be like the Most High"...he thought he could govern better than God and the last 6000yrs have shown the kind he intended to establish.
@Karlysymon , I agree with your second paragraph totally. However, do you think the angels were created morally and intellectually upright? I think part of the question being discussed here is what makes man made in the image, but not the angels.

Karlysymon

Superstar
@Karlysymon , I agree with your second paragraph totally. However, do you think the angels were created morally and intellectually upright?
Yeah, they were created so. There isn't any intelligent being, angels or man, that was created with a slant or inclination to evil. We are now born with that inclination because we inherited physical, emotional and spiritual 'disability' from Adam and Eve. That is why, i believe, it was important to make the decision for or against God before procreating because, obviously, the result will be passed on genetically.

I think part of the question being discussed here is what makes man made in the image, but not the angels.
Even though the Bible may be silent on it, i believe the angels were created in God's image aswell, simply because they are intelligent beings and man was created 'a little lower' than them.

Todd

Star
Yeah, they were created so. There isn't any intelligent being, angels or man, that was created with a slant or inclination to evil. We are now born with that inclination because we inherited physical, emotional and spiritual 'disability' from Adam and Eve. That is why, i believe, it was important to make the decision for or against God before procreating because, obviously, the result will be passed on genetically.

Even though the Bible may be silent on it, i believe the angels were created in God's image aswell, simply because they are intelligent beings and man was created 'a little lower' than them.
Do you believe angels can create, reproduce or multiple?

Karlysymon

Superstar
Do you believe angels can create, reproduce or multiple?
Nope! There are things we have that they don't and viceversa. Creatorship, to bring something into being, is a prerogative of God alone.

Todd

Star
Nope! There are things we have that they don't and viceversa. Creatorship, to bring something into being, is a prerogative of God alone.
What about inventing things and building things out of God's creation? Do angels have that ability?

Karlysymon

Superstar
What about inventing things and building things out of God's creation? Do angels have that ability?
Ofcourse they can do that. The ability to create, in the truest sense, to bring something into being out of nothing, is something only God can do. If angels (holy or fallen) had that ability, we'd see evidence of it in the natural world. Satan and his legions can only induce mutations in created things. They can't go further than that. example, we'd have already seen a third gender, not just in man but in the animal kingdom aswell.

a son of God

Rookie
i believe he rebelled before man's creation.
Looks like he was in good standing when the garden of Eden was created .....maybe his rebellion was not long ago and far away??

Ezek 28
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

What do you think?

Raquel

Established
I read something like that... theoretically Lucifer thought that God's plans to rule the universe was flawed, so he created the luciferian doctrine to be "better", he had no place to put his doctrine into practice and failed to convince God about his douctrine, after the creation of man he was expelled from Heaven and fell on earth where he could put his douctrine.

a son of God

Rookie
Looks like he was in good standing when the garden of Eden was created .....maybe his rebellion was not long ago and far away??

Ezek 28
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

What do you think?
Seems reasonable that if Satan's judgement is tied to this Earth age, that his rebellion was also. Seems unreasonable for his rebellion to have been a million years or so ago and him go unjudged for a LONG time. As Judge Judy says ..... "If it does not make sense, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!" (JJ yelling .... not me, lol)

So, IF something triggered a rebellion by angels AFTER the Garden of Eden was created, it possibly could have something to do with us. Maybe Satan (and a bunch of other angels) were jealous.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Seems reasonable that if Satan's judgement is tied to this Earth age, that his rebellion was also. Seems unreasonable for his rebellion to have been a million years or so ago and him go unjudged for a LONG time. As Judge Judy says ..... "If it does not make sense, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!" (JJ yelling .... not me, lol)

So, IF something triggered a rebellion by angels AFTER the Garden of Eden was created, it possibly could have something to do with us. Maybe Satan (and a bunch of other angels) were jealous.
Great point! Some Christians believe God employed evolution in the creation process. Satan's rebellion changes that though. In Job 38:6-7 On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone –while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Then Gabriel and Satan must be billions of years old! I actually don't think he'd naturally survive that long, in his fallen state.

My previous post was speculation but this verse confirms (to me, anyway) the rebellion happened before the creation of earth or shortly after, as in Satan wasn't expelled right away. It seems he had ample time to convince his surbodinates to defect and i don't think it was a "do it now" kind of thing.

ohnehta

Rookie
Ofcourse they can do that. The ability to create, in the truest sense, to bring something into being out of nothing, is something only God can do. If angels (holy or fallen) had that ability, we'd see evidence of it in the natural world. Satan and his legions can only induce mutations in created things. They can't go further than that. example, we'd have already seen a third gender, not just in man but in the animal kingdom aswell.
*facepalm* there is no third gender. That's just neuter.

ohnehta

Rookie
They rebelled because they're foolish. Only a fool rebels against God, really.