Why aren't all women feminists?

justjess

Superstar
The actual bulk of feminist literature is not fringe

Im not anti feminist, i love femininity, and I hate that modern lesbians etc in universities work to destroy it with their false theories
Why don’t you post some sources so that I can evaluate whether they are mainstream or not? Because the only people I’ve ever heard say that in the context your putting it are radical feminists. And since it is your claim, the burden of proof lies with you.

justjess

Superstar
@justjess
Edited my comment before seeing yours.
I know they do it for reasons besides money.
I added that.
And also "get it".
No offense to anyone for what their life choice/vocation.
Just wish more people respected ALL work. Even that of the unseen/unsung/unpaid folk.

ETA: maybe the big issue with people these days is not only lack of money/resources but also the desperate need for one to "prove" their worth to the world?
Like if nobody's seeing your work...does it not have value? Does it not matter? Why the desperation to prove yourself and "fit in"?

I'm Allllllliiiiiivvvvveeee! Lol!!
Again... that isn’t the point. Before women were able to enter the workforce if their male benefactor (father or husband usually) died or left or became unable to work for whatever reason those same women were left destitute and with no options. I continue to work at this point so that I have a foot in the door in case that ever happens to me in the future. I’ve seen way too many women be left in that situation and I know the statistics even if I didn’t know people personally.

justjess

Superstar
Just speaking from lived experience. My wife was beaten with the feminist stick by other women for not aborting at a young age. For them, they only accepted one choice. You are first wave and I applaud it. But you (and others) are the exception, not the rule.
And I was beaten with the feminist stick for not agreeing that trans women are the same as born women. Horrible people are horrible people. The ideology itself isn’t the problem and quite frankly these opinions are not representative of the majority. If they were I’d say look into the problem further atleast.. but that hasn’t been my experience with actual feminists

justjess

Superstar
Nah, that was the trans stick. And I agree, identifying is not the same as living.
The trans stick and the feminist stick have become very intertwined over the last couple years tbh. I ducked out on interacting with feminists when that insanity started catching on. But I still read through the publications and such. If they didn’t honor stay at home moms/wives they wouldn’t harp on about unpaid domestic labor and insist that it be honored. Or emotional labor etc. which a quick google search would show you they do all the time. I can’t relate to your wife because no one gave me shit about having my son at a young age. I did stay in college and continue pursuing a career anyway so maybe that’s why but I didn’t feel pressured in the least to have an abortion nor did I feel like I was a traitor to feminism for not doing so. And this is when I was in school and actively taking women’s studies courses. So idk.

Why don’t you post some sources so that I can evaluate whether they are mainstream or not? Because the only people I’ve ever heard say that in the context your putting it are radical feminists. And since it is your claim, the burden of proof lies with you.
You know what I’m talking about. No need to play dumb. Read ishigo and moritas posts for starters

justjess

Superstar
Disclaimer: Just some thoughts.

As you should have. The two are very different.

I haven't seen them say shit about unpaid physical labor (mowing, fixing, trash duty, etc.).

BINGO. You made the "right" choice.

I'm happy for you on that.

Nor should you have.
I made the only choice I could. Someone had to support that child.

As far as unpaid physical labor..I will refer to my statement above regarding the reason why some women choose to work regardless of finances - prior to their ability to work if their male benefactor died they were left destitute with no options to provide for themselves. This is where unpaid domestic labor comes in... that was a woman’s only approved work domain in the past; and at this point when women choose for it to be their only work domain it leaves them with the same issue in the event of tragedy that our forebears has because domestic labor is not recognized as work.

You can not collect disability or retirement benefits on your own record if you choose to stay home or do so out of necessity. After a certain amount of years out of the workforce it is near impossible to get back in, especially to a position with sustainable wages. By not entering the workforce at all to take care of the domestic front women are leaving themselves at substantial financial risk. If domestic labor was recognized in some way as work then it would free up more women to choose not to enter the workforce or to leave the workforce when their children were young etc. This applies to stay at home dads equally as much it’s just a more rare occurance.

While I’m sure your wife appreciates the physical labor you put into your home (I surely appreciate everything my husband does) doing those things is not at the expense of earning a living OUTSIDE the home and does not have the same effect on your overall lifetime ability to provide for yourself and your financial security. In a few words, it’s different.

I will give you the personal tip on this: I’ve been arguing with my husband for weeks about my insurance on keeping my day job. Even at reduced hours. He wants me home. And I understand his position and agree on many fronts that it makes the most sense. The business is very busy and we need someone who can full time manage it.
I don’t make enough at my job to justify paying someone else something I could be doing myself. On top of that preschools aren’t taking admissions because of covid so we have massive childcare issues right now and it would be better if I could be home with my daughter... but still I’m refusing and compromised to reduce my hours unless they will give me health insurance which I’m still negotiating so the final outcome to this marital disagreeement is still pending atm.

Why am I refusing? Because my grandpa died randomly when my mom was young and my grandma lived In absolute poverty the rest of her life because it was a time before she could really work. Because my aunt stayed home to raise her three kids and as soon as the youngest turned 18 my uncle left her and she has not been able to support herself ever since, she is also living in poverty and has been for years now. Because my mother in law left her abusive husband after staying home and helping him start his business and has had to clean other people’s toilets and break her back for all the years that have passed since then. There are a million and one stories like that and those aren’t even all of the ones I know personally.

So no, I will not set myself up for That and if it means I have to work ten hours a week and pay someone my whole paycheck to take up my Responsibilities while I do then that’s what I will do. Because for a woman there are more considerations then what they want to do or even money. I’d much prefer to stay home but I’m too old to be stupid.

justjess

Superstar
You know what I’m talking about. No need to play dumb. Read ishigo and moritas posts for starters
I didn’t realize that ishigo or morita we’re appointed spokespeople for feminism... news to me. I wonder when feminism held the vote because I wasn’t invited. Maybe I should feel snubbed? Every reasonable feminist voice has been chased off this site over the years. As with all things toxic people thrive on toxicity so toxic people are the ones who stay. If you look at feminists actual track record of advocating and lobbying for issues revolving around unpaid domestic labor you would realize your contentions are wrong and sensationalist.

I made the only choice I could. Someone had to support that child.

As far as unpaid physical labor..I will refer to my statement above regarding the reason why some women choose to work regardless of finances - prior to their ability to work if their male benefactor died they were left destitute with no options to provide for themselves. This is where unpaid domestic labor comes in... that was a woman’s only approved work domain in the past; and at this point when women choose for it to be their only work domain it leaves them with the same issue in the event of tragedy that our forebears has because domestic labor is not recognized as work.

You can not collect disability or retirement benefits on your own record if you choose to stay home or do so out of necessity. After a certain amount of years out of the workforce it is near impossible to get back in, especially to a position with sustainable wages. By not entering the workforce at all to take care of the domestic front women are leaving themselves at substantial financial risk. If domestic labor was recognized in some way as work then it would free up more women to choose not to enter the workforce or to leave the workforce when their children were young etc. This applies to stay at home dads equally as much it’s just a more rare occurance.

While I’m sure your wife appreciates the physical labor you put into your home (I surely appreciate everything my husband does) doing those things is not at the expense of earning a living OUTSIDE the home and does not have the same effect on your overall lifetime ability to provide for yourself and your financial security. In a few words, it’s different.

I will give you the personal tip on this: I’ve been arguing with my husband for weeks about my insurance on keeping my day job. Even at reduced hours. He wants me home. And I understand his position and agree on many fronts that it makes the most sense. The business is very busy and we need someone who can full time manage it.
I don’t make enough at my job to justify paying someone else something I could be doing myself. On top of that preschools aren’t taking admissions because of covid so we have massive childcare issues right now and it would be better if I could be home with my daughter... but still I’m refusing and compromised to reduce my hours unless they will give me health insurance which I’m still negotiating so the final outcome to this marital disagreeement is still pending atm.

Why am I refusing? Because my grandpa died randomly when my mom was young and my grandma lived In absolute poverty the rest of her life because it was a time before she could really work. Because my aunt stayed home to raise her three kids and as soon as the youngest turned 18 my uncle left her and she has not been able to support herself ever since, she is also living in poverty and has been for years now. Because my mother in law left her abusive husband after staying home and helping him start his business and has had to clean other people’s toilets and break her back for all the years that have passed since then. There are a million and one stories like that and those aren’t even all of the ones I know personally.

So no, I will not set myself up for That and if it means I have to work ten hours a week and pay someone my whole paycheck to take up my Responsibilities while I do then that’s what I will do. Because for a woman there are more considerations then what they want to do or even money. I’d much prefer to stay home but I’m too old to be stupid.
these were issues that were solved by society close to 100 years ago now. my 100 year old grandmother worked. My other grandmother who has passed now worked, she would’ve been close to 100 by now. All women in my family that are above 70 worked and had the opportunity to work. Those issues were solved 3 generations ago. That’s great if you agree with them but times have moved on, I don’t know why feminists would be fighting to be allowed to work like theres no feminists fighting to be allowed to vote, they have that right. Feminism is now a lot different

advocating and lobbying for issues revolving around unpaid domestic labor you would realize your contentions are wrong and sensationalist.
You mean women getting paid to be mothers? I think that would be a great idea. I never hear that raised among feminists, literally I’ve never heard it and I’ve hung out with a lot of self proclaimed feminists. I think some incentive to raise a stable family, have children, homeschool if needed, with some sort of monetary compensation from the government would be great. That is getting into the fields of feminism that are not touched, because it would promote the inherent values of femininity and womanhood, the true enemy of modern feminism. They’re more concerned with women being allowed in the army and stuff like that

Cintra

Star
hate speech morita said this to me

aren't you the one who said she was disfigured by a car accident? I guess you don't get enough attention from men, except when they make fun of your ugliness...that's why you make these poor attempts at putting other women down?? Poor thing...
Nice to see a feminist sticking up for another woman.
Interesting how important she feels male attention is.

justjess

Superstar
these were issues that were solved by society close to 100 years ago now. my 100 year old grandmother worked. My other grandmother who has passed now worked, she would’ve been close to 100 by now. All women in my family that are above 70 worked and had the opportunity to work. Those issues were solved 3 generations ago. That’s great if you agree with them but times have moved on, I don’t know why feminists would be fighting to be allowed to work like theres no feminists fighting to be allowed to vote, they have that right. Feminism is now a lot different
You think something is solved once and then that’s it? First off the right to work is a separate issue from working conditions which is something that women still haven’t achieved full parity on. Second of all we are given rights and then those rights are walked back and/or revoked quite frequently. If you can’t see what the government does to “our rights” on a daily basis then you most likely aren’t LOOKING. Women only earned the right to VOTE about 100 years ago, this isn’t “old news” - in the span of human history that’s like ten minutes ago.

Women only earned the right to VOTE about 100 years ago, this isn’t “old news” - in the span of human history that’s like ten minutes ago.
Yeah and men only gained the right to vote about 100 years before that. So in the span of human history it was extended to women almost right away

justjess

Superstar
I’m sure you’ve seen me go at it with morita. I agree with her about almost nothing and I don’t like the way she posts or her attitude at all. She doesn’t represent feminism. She’s just a shitty person. And a bit of a hypocrite. Which I’ve said directly to her as well so I don’t care.
hate speech morita said this to me

Nice to see a feminist sticking up for another woman.
Interesting how important she feels male attention is.

justjess

Superstar
Yeah and men only gained the right to vote about 100 years before that. So in the span of human history it was extended to women almost right away
I guess you missed my constant insistence on the fact that I don’t like identity politics.. at all. I’m more into class based issues and how money creates power and lack of money creates strife. Men have historically had it better on certain fronts, and on others have gotten the shit end of the stick. I won’t disagree with that. They are seperate issues but most real feminists are actually concerned with how society hurts men as well. I’ve spoken about this thousands of times on this forum before I decided to just never click on a thread with the word feminism in it again. Broke my own rule today for some odd reason.

justjess

Superstar
You mean women getting paid to be mothers? I think that would be a great idea. I never hear that raised among feminists, literally I’ve never heard it and I’ve hung out with a lot of self proclaimed feminists. I think some incentive to raise a stable family, have children, homeschool if needed, with some sort of monetary compensation from the government would be great. That is getting into the fields of feminism that are not touched, because it would promote the inherent values of femininity and womanhood, the true enemy of modern feminism. They’re more concerned with women being allowed in the army and stuff like that
And yes.. I do. That would be one solution. A child allowance Plus work credits for SS during years you stay home to care for children or elderly or sick family members... or more family friendly policies that encourage and allow women to stay home when they want to that I haven’t thought of. Just because you haven’t encountered this idea or argument from feminists you know doesn’t mean it isn’t something that’s been floating around various feminist circles for years. It has. It just never gets anywhere and it should.

I guess you missed my constant insistence on the fact that I don’t like identity politics.. at all. I’m more into class based issues and how money creates power and lack of money creates strife. Men have historically had it better on certain fronts, and on others have gotten the shit end of the stick. I won’t disagree with that. They are seperate issues but most real feminists are actually concerned with how society hurts men as well. I’ve spoken about this thousands of times on this forum before I decided to just never click on a thread with the word feminism in it again. Broke my own rule today for some odd reason.
Being a man didn’t historically grant you any more privileges than having to go to battle for the emperor and die when you’re 14 or having to work the most appalling jobs that women were thankfully protected from. Fair enough on the rest of your post though

justjess

Superstar
Being a man didn’t historically grant you any more privileges than having to go to battle for the emperor and die when you’re 14 or having to work the most appalling jobs that women were thankfully protected from. Fair enough on the rest of your post though
“Men have historically had it better on certain fronts, and on others have gotten the shit end of the stick”

I thought that covered your comments tbh. The only job open to women back Then was prostitution and while I’m sure there are jobs worse then that in some ways I can’t imagine anything worse then being forced to sell your body to eat because you have no other options. Being forced to fight a war is pretty much the same thing. As I said.. it boils down to money.

Citation needed. There's ample feminist literature saying exactly what she is pointing out. What youre saying is little more than a platitude
im a feminist and its very much about choice, being a wife and mother, never having a career or going to university sounds like hell for me, id hate to do nothing but clean cook and care for children. however i believe in choice, if thats what you want or some part of it then go for it, just dont expect me to join in or worship your choice.

like i said before feminism isnt one way fits all, some feminists are against housewifery and see it as slavery, some like me dont care as long as you dont try and push it on me, some feminists are house wives.

its about choice.

but i will point out the idea of a housewife is a very modern thing, it was invented in the Victorian age by middle class women. working class and aristocratic women have always worked, and not always in the house. before the industrial revolution women worked the farm, everyone worked the farm as soon as you could walk you had a role, once the industrial revolution happened, women moved to cities and became mill, factory and yes mine workers, everybody worked. it was not until the Victorian era when the middle class appeared than it became a sign of wealth that the wife could stay home.
During WW1, interwar and WW2 women went into the work force for a multitude of reasons, it was only when the war ended and the 1950s saw a resurgence of the house wife due to nostalgia for the pre world war eras of the Edwardian and Victorians.

this is the only time i get annoyed with the idea of housewifery, is when people push it as some sort of ancient noble tradition, when it really isnt, never has been.

1602813847581.png1602813973447.png

That's first wave. Waves after that shunned for not choosing the "right" choice.
you clearly have no clue what feminist history is or what the waves are. so ill give you a simplified version

First wave - late 19th century -1914/ 1918-1930 - fights for votes for women, the right for women to have an education including universities, the right for women to work as doctors.

Second wave - 1959 - 1982 - fight for women to work and have the same rights of men, fighting against sexist tropes like beauty standards, fights for worker rights such as maturity leave, equal pay, the removal of sacking women for being pregnant or married, contraceptive, reproductive and abortion rights. by modern standards classed as a middle class white woman's movement

Womanism - 1970s-1980s - a fight back against white feminism/ second wave, about black women's rights and civil rights.

Third wave - 1982 - 2015 - Intersectional feminism, feminism that includes, black women, lesbian/bi women, focus on LGBT rights, focus on disability rights, girl power. intersectionality is the acknowledgement of how different parts of a persons life can effect discrimination. for example a black woman will experience prejudice due to her colour and her sex separately, a disabled white woman will experience sexism and ableism, a gay asian man will experience, racism and homophobia ect.

Fourth wave - 2015 - cont - focus on trans rights, gay rights and victimisation. mostly marxist, however does have fascist tendencies.

resurgence of second wave - 2019 -2020 - feminists who are feeling fourth wave and third wave has left them behind or have become to extreme have reverted back to the principles of second wave, not anti trans rights just anti erasure of women, fights to end trans radicals changing the definitions of sex and gender.
Focus's exclusively on womens rights only.

justjess

Superstar
Justjess I respect your ideas and views, even if I don't entirely agree, with them.

Based on your anecdotal experiences it would appear the women of your family have been unjustly burned by their male counterparts when it comes to shouldering the burden of responsibility within the family unit.
I do agree, in this day and age, it is "dangerous" to not have some type of financial independence established for one's self, before entering into the contract/institution of marriage.

That's why there should be some kind if mandated contractual agreement/financial agreement for stay at home parents entitled to financial compensation for their "work" inside the home, from their income-earning partners (like life insurance, or a pension). Would love for feminists to fight for that concept!
Work done inside the home is JUST as valuable (if not more), as outside the home.
Bottom line, nobody should be "off the hook" when it comes to childcare expenses, or other life expenses.
I find it disgraceful that the men you described above, abandoned their families the way they had....
I'm sorry you've experienced this....

ETA: yes, feminists may just argue "the woman should just go out and work a paying job, then"...well, what if she has reduced income earning ability? What if she values family life more than monetary or societal acceptance? I suppose in these scenarios one could argue that "you get what you "pay" for, or "earn" or whatever...but what I'm suggesting is putting the income earning partner legally "on the hook" financially, no matter what, especially if children are involved. No midlife crisis man abandoning his family and running away from the financial obligations of life....freeing himself from the debt itself.
If kids are involved both parties pay/burden themselves equal responsibility, for life. Even after the kids are grown. Yes, I know alimony is a way to commit this obligation but I'm speaking of long term....the agreement needs to be written contractually that whomever cares for the children will always be compensated for their "work" IE; like a pension or life insurance, as stated before...(*for the 18 years of "work history").
Any thoughts on this?
I agree that domestic labor should be compensated. But not all my examples were bad men, that’s the point. Tragedy happens. My grandfather DIED. Men get sick or injured and can’t work. Car accidents, illnesses, violent crimes, crashing economy.. there is so much outside of our control and that doesn’t hinge on “bad choices” of anyone involved. Men were most impacted by the 2008 recession and only recently started getting back their prior level of employment, I haven’t seen the stats for this one yet but I’d assume it probably had a similar effect.