Why aren't all women feminists?

Cintra

Star
View attachment 44375
Actually, I don't think the future generations of women will be more willing to stand up as a class. Simone de Beauvoir wrote her introduction of the Second sex in 1949 and everything she says still rings true to this day. I wish it was less relevant, bcause it would mean there had been improvement but it's not the case.
Women who hate women.
Women who try to shame other women because of their appearance.
Women who think that male attention is the be all and end all of a womans worth.

Screenshot_20201009-171114.png

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Women who hate women.
Women who try to shame other women because of their appearance.
Women who think that male attention is the be all and end all of a womans worth.

View attachment 44380
Corrie Ten Boom was a Christian lady responsible along with her family for saving 800 Jews from the death camps. She died single, commenting that she was cut from “too rough a cloth” for the young men to notice her, but she was a truly beautiful and valuable human being!!!

Cintra

Star
Corrie Ten Boom was a Christian lady responsible along with her family for saving 800 Jews from the death camps. She died single, commenting that she was cut from “too rough a cloth” for the young men to notice her, but she was a truly beautiful and valuable human being!!!

I read The Hiding Place.
She was an inspirational woman.

I am sure she could have found a partner if she had wanted.
The truth is, apart from the very young and the very shallow, it is as much the person you love as their looks, which are fleeting.

Decades ago (when we were young and beautiful) my partner and I promised to still love each other when we were old and ugly.

Mostly we still do.

Maes17

Star

I can only speak for myself. But I admire a strong willed woman.

Both sexes navigate plights in the social world. I think those who can break down those barriers and support each other. Compliment each other man/woman - yin/yang - peanut butter/jelly or whatever analogy suits your mind.

Too much division as is.

Pepsi

Established
Do I believe in the equality of genders and the upliftment of women? If that's feminism then yes I'm a feminist.
Do I hate men and think that they should die and that the world would be better off without men while I forsake my own femininity? If that's feminism then no I'm not a feminist.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Do I believe in the equality of genders and the upliftment of women? If that's feminism then yes I'm a feminist.
Do I hate men and think that they should die and that the world would be better off without men while I forsake my own femininity? If that's feminism then no I'm not a feminist.
If your first definition of feminism is correct then I’m a feminist too @Pepsi

kerrichinchilla

Established
I want to be a house wife and have loads of children and look my family thats all I've ever wanted. I couldn't be a feminist in the fact that they somewhat ruined things for woman they want to break up the family unit. Third wave feminists just hate men
Feminism is about choice, if you wan to be a wife and mother awesome, go for it. But not all women want that, many like myself would find being a housewife and mother the worst thing in the world, it's not even on the bottom of my list of things I want. But read feminism supports both types of us.

Be fore feminism women like myself were forced into the role you want, or we were ostrisized. There is nothing wrong with being s housewife and mother but it's not the be all and end all for women and feminism is about that, it's about giving women a choice in what their future is.

kerrichinchilla

Established
But what is femininity? Am I not a real woman because I hate pink, dresses, I never wear make up, hate cooking and baking, I'm not maternal, don't have or ever want children, I like cars, dinosaurs, and I'm always wearing pants/trousers. Baggy t shirts and hate with a passion clothes that feature glitter, hearts, birds and butterflies, and my pet hate is glitter. I don't want to be a wife and mother I want a career and to travel, that's it.

But I'm born female, I have the parts that make me female but am I less of a woman because I don't subscribe to traditional femininity?

Maes17

Star
But what is femininity? Am I not a real woman because I hate pink, dresses, I never wear make up, hate cooking and baking, I'm not maternal, don't have or ever want children, I like cars, dinosaurs, and I'm always wearing pants/trousers. Baggy t shirts and hate with a passion clothes that feature glitter, hearts, birds and butterflies, and my pet hate is glitter. I don't want to be a wife and mother I want a career and to travel, that's it.

But I'm born female, I have the parts that make me female but am I less of a woman because I don't subscribe to traditional femininity?
And so what

Just because you don’t fit society’s standards doesn’t make you less of a women.
Do what makes you happy and gives you purpose.

kerrichinchilla

Established
And so what

Just because you don’t fit society’s standards doesn’t make you less of a women.
Do what makes you happy and gives you purpose.
i agree and this is what im saying, what is femininity? some say its a certain bunch of characteristics that make women women, but im a woman, and i dont fit those criteria, i like who i am but at the same time i dont care if you do subscribe to hyper feminine tropes, i have one friend and shes a complete barbie doll, pink house, pink car.
I just wonder when people say i want to be feminine or feminism ruins femininity, what they mean?

I think because we live in a consumer society and people base their identity on products they use and their interests, it’s true that femininity isn’t found in any of those. Regardless I think there is an abstract essence of both femininity and masculinity, I think most people find It in moments without effort. Yes femininity isn’t defined as make up or glitter. Yet masculine and feminine qualities can be found everywhere, sun and moon, river and sea. Abstract truths are defined in poetry, I remembered as I was writing this that Victor Hugo did this perfectly. Have a read.

Man and woman

Man is the most elevated of creatures,
Woman the most sublime of ideals.
God made for man a throne; for woman an altar.
The throne exalts, the altar sanctifies.
Man is the brain,
Woman, the heart.
The brain creates light, the heart, love.
Light engenders, love resurrects.
Because of reason, Man is strong,
Because of tears, Woman is invincible.
Reason is convincing, tears, moving.
Man is capable of all heroism,
Woman of all martyrdom.
Heroism ennobles, martyrdom sublimates.
Man has supremacy,
Woman, preference.
Supremacy is strength, preference is the right.
Man is a genius,
Woman, an angel.
Genius is immeasurable, the angel indefinable. The aspiration of man is supreme glory. The aspiration of woman is extreme virtue.
Glory creates all that is great; virtue, all that is divine.
Man is a code,
Woman a gospel.
A code corrects; the gospel perfects.
Man thinks,
Woman dreams.
To think is to have a worm in the brain, to dream is to have a halo on the brow.
Man is an ocean,
Woman a lake.
The ocean has the adorning pearl, the lake, dazzling poetry.
Man is the flying eagle,
Woman, the singing nightingale.<
To fly is to conquer space. To sing is to conquer the soul.
Man is a temple,
Woman a shrine.
Before the temple we discover ourselves, before the shrine we kneel.
In short, man is found where earth finishes,
Woman where heaven begins.

Last edited:

Cintra

Star
i agree and this is what im saying, what is femininity? some say its a certain bunch of characteristics that make women women, but im a woman, and i dont fit those criteria, i like who i am but at the same time i dont care if you do subscribe to hyper feminine tropes, i have one friend and shes a complete barbie doll, pink house, pink car.
I just wonder when people say i want to be feminine or feminism ruins femininity, what they mean?
I never knew either.
I just am feminine because I am female.
I never felt it was something I had to try for.

Maes17

Star
I wonder the same thing.
Labels are labels and define no clear aspect of what.

Often times than not, labels are contradicting in manner.

I think as a species because we are intellect, capable of thought. Society overall just needs labels, etc as a stimuli to stay active.

rainerann

Star
I think labels are a way of identifying patterns. The problem comes when people struggle with more complex patterns, like a collection of labels creates, and then they try to make them opposites or at odds with each other. Good and evil is also a pattern that shows itself. It is real obviously. Murder is evil, but that doesn’t mean that everything becomes polarized when there is more than one of something the way people seem to think.

Last edited:

Exodus73

Rookie
Most men haven't a clue how to cook, and as a single man my attempts fall flat every time.
In fact I had to start this thread in a Survival forum under my screenname 'Gamer' to help me try get to grips with the mysteries of cooking but I'm still hopeless-

Can you follow directions? I thought the same towards cooking when I was younger man,but now I kill it.Or try grilling it's very therapeutic I think.

Pepsi

Established
i don't know how you think femininity is only restricted to these things. that's what has been fed to us so that we THINK that's what femininity looks like, enforcing colors and gender roles on us, or programming. the femininity i described was being content in the fact that there are some things i can do that most men can't and some things i can't do that most men can. it's to be free of penis envy and acknowledge that i can't have my cake and eat it too, but also realise that it doesn't mean women can be treated as doormats for it.

Tidal

Star
Can you follow directions? I thought the same towards cooking when I was younger man,but now I kill it.Or try grilling it's very therapeutic I think.

Ah, but the directions on food packets can be very confusing, so can my cooker instructions.
For example there's a cooker option to use fan-assisted cooking, so what should I do, use the fan or just let the food cook normally without the fan?