Who else lost their "friends" because of religion?

DesertRose

Superstar
If you're old friends are doing haram things like drinking, its probably best to replace them.

Harsh as that sounds, try to remind yourself this life is fleeting. That is this life's 10-100 years is gonna seem like a fleeting second when compared to 10k, 100k years in the hereafter. All of our choices should be those that favor the akhirah and that includes who we pick for companions.

May the Almighty give you new pious friends and guide your old friends.

Expect trials in this life, and remember God's promise.

May the Creator ease your path.
Ameen!
Welcome to these boards!

Bent8484

Established
I was an atheist for most of my life, though. I carry a Muslim name, so I come from a Muslim family.
And everything started with last year, I've hit that age of reason where it doesn't make sense to me anymore.
I refuse to believe that I was brought into this world to work hard and grind to make a living, to pay my bills, buy stupid things I don't need but society tells me that I need them, to watch crap on media I don't care about, and similar, you get my point anyway.
I don't want to start a fire here and put gasoline on it, so I'll just say that I've found most of the answers in Islam, and there's nothing, no one who could ever change my mind to go to the old lifestyle I used to do before.
My belief, my faith, thefire within me is so strong that it's literally impossible for anyone to change my mind and to stop me from praying.
So, anyway, I've had friends whom I've known for more than ten years, and imagine being with someone almost every day, clubbing, texting, doing things together, BBQing, travelling, laugh/cry together, etc., you get the idea.
Now, you tell them that you want to become religious, to get closer to God, and they say: "Well, I think it's enough to be a good human being rather than worshiping a God, but hey, that's just me, if there's a God then he should see that you're a good person, and not to worship him, to fully surrender yourself to him. i think religion is man-made but hey it's cool, that's your choice."
Months and months have passed since then, my two best friends are having zero contact with me. There's no more: "Hey Adje, let's go outside and chill, where you at? Lemme pick you up" etc., there's no more "How are you doing? All good?" N-O-T-H-I-N-G, nada.
The last time I called my best friend out for coffee, he was putting me on "seen." And I was like: "Hm, 'aight, maybe he's busy with work, maybe he'll answer me back?" So days has passed and still no answer from him, so I was writing him again: "Yo, why did you leave me on seen? You can't have coffee with me at all? Ya can't hang out" Then he said: "I was busy, sorry." And that's about it, not even "yeah sure thing, let's go" so I knew what time it is and just gave up on them. To be honest, it hurt a lot because I know them for more than ten years, last year, October and November I was celebrating their birthday, bought them gifts, everything was cool, we were having some shots, alcohol here and there, but I quit drinking and smoking cigarettes, too.
Did anyone else lost their friends because some of you turned to God? If so, do you really believe these are one of the main cons when you turn yourself to God? Like, you're less attractive, people seem to find you weird, they don't support you anymore, etc..
It's normal, yeah. Most people won't understand your motivation, nowadays, if you choose a spiritual path. Some might respect it, but it doesn't mean they'll be comfortable with it. Maybe try to reassure your friends that this is a personal decision, and that you won't proselytize to them? I find that this last point is what most atheists and agnostics worry about from their religious friends.

Lisa

Superstar
Are you saying Jesus wasn't a prophet?
Jesus is God..the only begotten Son.

John‬ ‭1:1-3, 14‬ ‭
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

DesertRose

Superstar
Maybe try to reassure your friends that this is a personal decision, and that you won't proselytize to them? I find that this last point is what most atheists and agnostics worry about from their religious friends.
True. Some folks who are new to faith go overboard and over share..so that worry is understandable.

Bent8484

Established
True. Some folks who are new to faith go overboard and over share..so that worry is understandable.
Yeah. I was that way at first...all excited to share what I'd found. Nowadays, I just wait until I'm asked what I believe...which is more often than you might think. And the people who ask are the ones who have a motivation to ask, the ones who either care enough about you to want to know how you think, or who need help finding their own path. That doesn't mean it'll be your path, that's their choice to make, but the most positive response you can get when someone finds out what you believe is curiosity.

Bent8484

Established

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Only Son of God, yes. Not the only prophet, though.

Also, about your argument on Muhammed's moral character...most of the prophets were sinners, and the Quran never claims that the Prophet is anything more than a chosen human, as fallible as the rest of us.

Jacob stole his brother's birthright, Moses wouldn't talk to the rock, David coveted his general's wife, etc...and don't get me started on Saul of Tarsus. God's chosen humans were just that, humans, some of them crappier humans than average even, but he still delivered important messages to us, their fellow sinners, through them.

In this case, I understand why the divinity of Jesus would be a sticking point to you...but if you take a look at the deeper symbolic content of their religion, you'll find that their esoteric orders are concealing the exact same information, about the exact same God, as the Jewish traditions. This is significant, because most of the wisdom passed on through Christianity is from the Jewish faith, even though they also disagree on the point of Jesus' identity. Christians still accept the Jewish prophets as genuine messengers of God. At some point, after centuries of disagreement, you shouldn't expect to resolve this dispute here and now... just keep in mind that it's a family dispute. We all follow and worship the same deity, known as the Lord of Spirits in the oldest Hebrew and Vedic texts.

(tldr; Somehow, when I die and return to my creator, I don't think the first thing he'll ask me is "Were you dogmatically correct?".)

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Only Son of God, yes. Not the only prophet, though.

Also, about your argument on Muhammed's moral character...most of the prophets were sinners, and the Quran never claims that the Prophet is anything more than a chosen human, as fallible as the rest of us.

Jacob stole his brother's birthright, Moses wouldn't talk to the rock, David coveted his general's wife, etc...and don't get me started on Saul of Tarsus. God's chosen humans were just that, humans, some of them crappier humans than average even, but he still delivered important messages to us, their fellow sinners, through them.
Only Son of God and also God. God sent prophets..but can you call God a prophet?

The ummah...muslims...want to follow Mohammad who they think is the perfect man. Their perfect man lied, tortured, killed and raped...ya, no one is perfect..but that’s beyond fallible..that is a person who is completely lawless. Does he ask for forgiveness..or does his god encourage what he’s done..and in turn encouraged his followers to do the same things? Then you can’t say he’s following a good God, can you? Since God is good..the god of the muslims is not the same God of the Bible.

Jacob didn’t steal what Esau didn’t already give away...his birthright for a bowl of stew..spiritual for carnal.
David and Moses were punished for their sins..weren’t they? Moses couldn’t enter the promised land...David had multiple punishments. God didn’t say..O..you did that..good job..keep going. No..

Saul of Tarsus..what’s wrong with him..he is a new creation in Christ...he stopped killing and persecuting Christians and became an apostle of Jesus..showing the world that God can indeed save anyone.

Kung Fu

Superstar

Where in your statement does it say Jesus is God?

You never answered the question by the way. Is Jesus anywhere in the Bible considered a prophet?

Wigi

Veteran
I speak as a christian but I think it's pretty similar for anyone who starts a spiritual journey.
In general when you begin, you unlearn many things that this world taught to you and that includes the way you enjoy life so of course you're not the binge drinking party guy anymore. There's nothing you can do, some just don't understand that you could find happiness outside of a materialist and sinful life.

The only thing you could do it's to show yourself as a loving person, be someone who's not quick to judge and if they accept you as you are that's only a bonus anyway because you're not supposed to live for this world.

It is the way it is, if you try to please everyone you'll end up pleasing Satan aswell.

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

Lisa

Superstar
Where in your statement does it say Jesus is God?

You never answered the question by the way. Is Jesus anywhere in the Bible considered a prophet?
Jesus is the Word..and the Word was with God and the Word is God...and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

Lisa

Superstar
I speak as a christian but I think it's pretty similar for anyone who starts a spiritual journey.
In general when you begin, you unlearn many things that this world taught to you and that includes the way you enjoy life so of course you're not the binge drinking party guy anymore. There's nothing you can do, some just don't understand that you could find happiness outside of a materialist and sinful life.

The only thing you could do it's to show yourself as a loving person, be someone who's not quick to judge and if they accept you as you are that's only a bonus anyway because you're not supposed to live for this world.

It is the way it is, if you try to please everyone you'll end up pleasing Satan aswell.

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
John 16:33
I thought muslims weren’t supposed to be friends with non muslims...but if it helps the cause of islam they can pretend to be friends?

Do you think there is a difference between Christians and muslims?

Vision

Veteran
Losing friends not necessarily but definitely feels like social distancing (literally :rolleyes:) over time as our views, interests and goals are alligned differently.

DesertRose

Superstar
I thought muslims weren’t supposed to be friends with non muslims...but if it helps the cause of islam they can pretend to be friends?
Are you kidding your world is black and white, very binary and then you project this on others.
All non Muslims are not the same. There are those that are hostile and who insult Muslims and others are friends and neighbours
Muslims can marry Christians and Jews have you zero sense?

"Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi
, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

"The Qur'an does not say that non-Muslims cannot be Muslims' friends, nor does it forbid Muslims to be friendly to non-Muslims. There are many non-Muslims who are good friends of Muslim individuals and the Muslim community. There are also many good Muslims who truly and sincerely observe their faith and are very friendly to many non-Muslims at the same time.

Islam teaches us that we should be friendly to all people. Islam teaches us that we should deal even with our enemies with justice and fairness. Allah says in the Qur'an in the beginning of the same Surat Al-Ma’dah: [O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allah as witnesses to fair dealings and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just, that is next to piety. Fear Allah, indeed Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do.] (Al-Ma’dah 5 :8)

In another place in the Qur'an, Allah Almighty says:

[Allah forbids you not with regard to those who fight you not for your faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them. For Allah loves those who are just. Allah only forbids you with regard to those who fight you for your faith, and drive you out of your homes and support others in driving you out, from turning to them for protection (or taking them as wali). Those who seek their protection they are indeed wrong- doers.] (Al-Mumtahinah 60: 8-9)""
for more:
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160323081244/http://www.answering-christianity.com/sami_zaatri/friends.htm

Last edited:

Wigi

Veteran
Do you think there is a difference between Christians and muslims?
I do but I differentiate dogmas from persons.
Many muslims have good intentions and would like to be better persons. I'm more interested by the motives. I'm saddened by the fact that some non believers or muslims are closer to what ressemble to a Godly life than christians or catholics.
I'm not shooting myself in the foot when I say that many christians don't have honest intentions even Jesus wondered if He would find faith in us when He returns.

DesertRose

Superstar
Losing friends not necessarily but definitely feels like social distancing (literally :rolleyes:) over time as our views, interests and goals are alligned differently.
It happens for a variety of reasons as well.
Get married and then suddenly (sometimes) single friends feel strange etc.....:)

Lisa

Superstar
Are you kidding your world is black and white, very binary and then you project this on others.
All non Muslims are not the same. There are those that are hostile and who insult Muslims and others are friends and neighbours
Muslims can marry Christians and Jews have you zero sense?

"Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi
, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

"The Qur'an does not say that non-Muslims cannot be Muslims' friends, nor does it forbid Muslims to be friendly to non-Muslims. There are many non-Muslims who are good friends of Muslim individuals and the Muslim community. There are also many good Muslims who truly and sincerely observe their faith and are very friendly to many non-Muslims at the same time.

Islam teaches us that we should be friendly to all people. Islam teaches us that we should deal even with our enemies with justice and fairness. Allah says in the Qur'an in the beginning of the same Surat Al-Ma’dah: [O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allah as witnesses to fair dealings and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just, that is next to piety. Fear Allah, indeed Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do.] (Al-Ma’dah 5 :8)

In another place in the Qur'an, Allah Almighty says:

[Allah forbids you not with regard to those who fight you not for your faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them. For Allah loves those who are just. Allah only forbids you with regard to those who fight you for your faith, and drive you out of your homes and support others in driving you out, from turning to them for protection (or taking them as wali). Those who seek their protection they are indeed wrong- doers.] (Al-Mumtahinah 60: 8-9)""
for more:
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160323081244/http://www.answering-christianity.com/sami_zaatri/friends.htm
The muslim view is very black and white...until you factor in taquiya..and then its whatever the non muslim wants to hear...

Thanks..sometimes I get that wrong.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Jesus is the Word..and the Word was with God and the Word is God...and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.
But where does it state that Jesus is God?

Also, I like how you ignore my other question. What's wrong the truth too much for your little brain? I'll ask again is Jesus considered a prophet according to the Bible?

Kung Fu

Superstar
The muslim view is very black and white...until you factor in taquiya..and then its whatever the non muslim wants to hear...

Thanks..sometimes I get that wrong.
How many times are you going to spew this lie?

Show us where in the Quran that Muslims are ordered to lie?

Lisa

Superstar
I do but I differentiate dogmas from persons.
Many muslims have good intentions and would like to be better persons. I'm more interested by the motives. I'm saddened by the fact that some non believers or muslims are closer to what ressemble to a Godly life than christians or catholics.
I'm not shooting myself in the foot when I say that many christians don't have honest intentions even Jesus wondered if He would find faith in us when He returns.
Are people saved by good intentions? If not..then can we differentiate? Just because someone acts good..doesn’t mean they are good. No one is good without God in their life..and that would be the One true God from the Bible..not the one that the muslims worship.

Muslims aren’t able to live a closer life to God if they don’t have the Son..faith is not about the outward appearance.

I’m not sure which Christians you’re talking about..