Who do you think Satan is?

Valerian

Rookie
Just a question. I want to know your answers.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Did you just cite John 8:44?!

A N T I S E M I T E
N
T
I
S
E
M
I
T
E
Lol! If only people could distinguish between sets and subsets. The Jews referred to by Jesus here were a subset of national Israel, and were of their father (the Devil). It is interesting that the "synagogue of Satan" in Revelation suffers from the same confusion between a group and the whole.

For the record, I do believe that there are some Jews, who the Australians might term "wrong 'uns", but this opinion does not make me an Antisemite ;-)

Lol! If only people could distinguish between sets and subsets. The Jews referred to by Jesus here were a subset of national Israel, and were of their father (the Devil). It is interesting that the "synagogue of Satan" in Revelation suffers from the same confusion between a group and the whole.

For the record, I do believe that there are some Jews, who the Australians might term "wrong 'uns", but this opinion does not make me an Antisemite ;-)
Hehe. Thanks for the clarification

Valerian

Rookie
Notice the question says "who do YOU think"

I didnt ask for religion's "answer".

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Notice the question says "who do YOU think"

I didnt ask for religion's "answer".
Imagine a question like "What do YOU think the Queen of England is like". You respond with information you have gathered from books, newspapers and film as this is the best you have available from your current circle of acquaintance. I then remind you of the question...

My everyday human interractions give me limited insight into the identity of an extra-dimensional being like Satan.

I'm sure you are familiar with Plato's cave. Information on the true state of things needs to come from the outside sometimes...

Aero

Superstar
Satan is an archetype. It's an unconscious manifestation of human emotion. Maybe it's better to say it calls to our most primitive nature. My thoughts are it's something that early humans needed to survive a brutal world. The human brain evolved but we still retain the subconscious remnants of what the religious folks consider evil.

I typically agree that such an evil thing does exist. I just think people give it more power than it rightfully deserves. People celebrate that primitive stuff. And Satan type figures are just a piece of that puzzle. Like it's not Satanic how people sit around and eat each other's shit. Now that may sound kind of fucked up but I'm being serious.

Pigs eat their own shit. Are we pigs, monkeys or dogs? Think about it. The question isn't good vs evil. But evolved vs primitive.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
On questions like these I can't help but picture a mountain.

Whether we discredit it, hate it, worship it or ignore it, the mountain remains resolutely itself. In the same way, if Satan is a real entity, our own conjectures are really just that, and no more.

Maybe he was Lucifer, the most beautiful angel in Heaven, who fell from grace. Maybe he's a jinn who refused to bow to Adam when God created him. Maybe he's just an anthropomorphic representation of the darker side of human nature. Maybe he's a symbol of rebellion. Truth be told, I don't care who or what Satan is.

I believe in goodness. I believe in love. I believe in peace. I believe in humanity; despite our potential for cruelty, we have equal potential for compassion. And at the end of the day, anything else I believe or anything that anyone else believes doesn't really matter so long as they believe in goodness, love, and peace.

Etagloc

Superstar
What kind of question is this?

Who is John Such-And-Such?
John Such-And-Such is John Such-And-Such

X=X
4=4

Who is Etagloc?
Etagloc.... is Etagloc.

Not saying I'm the devil.

Maybe the OP wants a description.

Is it really needed? Satan is pretty self-explanatory. Everyone learned who he was when they were kids, I think.... read the Quran, learn more

onequestion

Rookie
You are asking a question that can't be answered because you haven't defined Satan. If by Satan you mean the godhead of evil energy then yes there is an actual entity that represents ultimate evil just like there is a godhead that represents ultimate good. These symbols or forms manifest in various fashion in ways that humans are capable of experiencing from a human perspective.