Which religion is really true and which isn't?

Mr.Fishnet

Established
You mean to say that you are surprised to have not returned to find a new fusion religion that unites polytheism with monotheism and legalism with grace, light with darkness?

I think it is unlikely we will all become Freemasons, start embracing dualism and worshiping the “Great Artchitect” as Jahbulon*

*"In Craft Freemasonry, God is the Great Architect of the Universe. The name of the Great Architect is revealed in the rite of the Holy Arch as JAHBULON. This is a composite name comprising the Hebrew God JAH (Yahweh), the Canaanite fertility deity, BUL (Baal, who had licentious rites of imitative magic), and ON (Osiris, the ancient Egyptian god of the underworld)."
You're right, I don't know what I expected, I thought that there would be at least one religion that is right and proven correct, but I guess such answer doesn't exist....

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
You're right, I don't know what I expected, I thought that there would be at least one religion that is right and proven correct, but I guess such answer doesn't exist....
The Bible certainly doesn’t suggest such a consensus is going to be reached (this side of the Lord’s return)

Matthew 7:13 (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

....but there will come a day when even the hardest of hearts and haughtiest of characters will have to say words they never expected to:-

Philippians 2
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

@Mr.Fishnet

Interesting thread, I asked a similar question myself a while ago but didn't really get any replies: https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/can-a-religion-itself-actually-be-true.6786/

I think it's very important more complex question that people frame it as.
The thing is that the concept of "a religion" itself, especially in the western mindset is taken as a object. It is an ideology and cultural signifier, a symbol of identity etc.

When we see a religion taken as 'doctrine', then we meet more explicit ontological grounding.
A thought here is that if a religion is based solely on a historical event, then it categorically cannot represent an absolute. If a religion is centered around an absolute, with varying historical expressions then we have a completely different situation.

Religion taken as object will always be false, same with religion taken as history. Religions may share their hand in it, but a true religion will not dig itself into that ditch and will have a consistent metaphysical view. Metaphysics after all is the actual most important thing spiritually, aside from one's morals/ethics.

For me personally, this is one of the very obvious philosophical reasons I reject Judaism and Christianity, for instance. The relationship between man and God (the divine, etc) has to be close without anything "in the way".

Lisa

Superstar
I think it's very important more complex question that people frame it as.
It actually isn’t...you keep asking the same question in different ways hoping for a different response and disappointed that you keep getting the same replies to your leading questions.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It actually isn’t...you keep asking the same question in different ways hoping for a different response and disappointed that you keep getting the same replies to your leading questions.
Essentially, those who want to remove the need for the work of the Cross deny the barrier of original sin. As Islam doesn’t believe in it, it makes the hurdle of God’s righteousness seem achievable and rejects the Biblical diagnosis of the human condition:-

Romans 3 tells it like it is!

All Have Sinned
9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.

10 As it is written:

“There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside;
They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one.”
13 “Their throat is an open tomb;
With their tongues they have practiced deceit”;
“The poison of asps is under their lips”;
14 “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 Destruction and misery are in their ways;
17 And the way of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

shankara

Star
I am at a point in my life where I don't know what to believe or who to follow. Every religion states it's the only true religion, I am in fear of choosing the wrong path (religion) or going to hell. What are your thoughts?
Is fear of hell a good motivation to practise religion?

Lisa

Superstar
No, religious practice should be based on a free will, not hate or fear of punishment
Fear of punishment is a good motivator though...
Proverbs‬ ‭9:10‬ ‭
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
‭‭
Luke‬ ‭12:5‬ ‭
But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!
‭‭

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I would say not, if a person is not capable of being happy alone no partner is ever going to resolve their problem,.
Put another way, do you think God may be gracious enough to accept a soul who seeks Him out of fear of Hell rather than a thirst for righteousness?

shankara

Star
Put another way, do you think God may be gracious enough to accept a soul who seeks Him out of fear of Hell rather than a thirst for righteousness?
Interesting question, I can't give a definitive answer. By the way, do you think that God may be gracious enough to accept those who understand Him in different ways and subscribe to a different belief system?

What I do know is the importance of Bodhicitta in Mahayana Buddhism. This is what distinguishes the Mahayana from the Hinayana.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Interesting question, I can't give a definitive answer. By the way, do you think that God may be gracious enough to accept those who understand Him in different ways and subscribe to a different belief system?

What I do know is the importance of Bodhicitta in Mahayana Buddhism. This is what distinguishes the Mahayana from the Hinayana.
I think it would be fair to say that God knows us through and through, our hearts, motives and intentions. He knows what he have heard and rejected and what we have never understood in the first place. I wouldn’t want to judge anyone as it will be God who will do that!

I would say not, if a person is not capable of being happy alone no partner is ever going to resolve their problem,.
Also, I would distinguish "fear" of the potentiality of being lonely - to actually being lonely - as being two completely different things.
If a relationship with a romantic partner was built solely off a 'void' created by being lonely (making it a kind of desperation, sorta) then it would only ever be destined to crumble.

The answer to loneliness is first found within ourselves before other people.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Islam is the only logical religion with Judaism coming in second. They're both one of the few religions that strictly adhere to the worship of only ONE GOD.

If you want to live a peaceful and a logical life removed from fallacies and confusion than Islam would be your best bet. But I advise you read the Quran and all other scripture and then decide. If your heart and mind is inclined to logic and simplicity then it will lead you to Islam.

Islam is the only logical religion with Judaism coming in second. They're both one of the few religions that strictly adhere to the worship of only ONE GOD.
Yeah I agree. I think I would also place some importance on forms of Buddhism and Hinduism though, particularly for philosophical reasons. Buddhism addresses perception of the identity of things and our internal role as created beings, Hinduism addresses time and the nature of history.
The Abrahamic religions are perhaps not as direct about these topics.

But yeah, over Tawhid and the rest I absolutely agree.