Which religion is really true and which isn't?

friend

Veteran
You speak just like Satan did to Eve....move on.
What ?

Bible has, like Hindu scriptures, contradictions in it. So if it is from God then it must not have contradictions yet it has contradictions so it must not be from God. But we already know that God gave Moses and Jesus scriptures. how should we solve the problem then ?
There are no contradictions in Scripture.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I'm back guys, and now I'm even more confused after seeing all the responses...... :confused:o_O
You mean to say that you are surprised to have not returned to find a new fusion religion that unites polytheism with monotheism and legalism with grace, light with darkness?

I think it is unlikely we will all become Freemasons, start embracing dualism and worshiping the “Great Artchitect” as Jahbulon*

*"In Craft Freemasonry, God is the Great Architect of the Universe. The name of the Great Architect is revealed in the rite of the Holy Arch as JAHBULON. This is a composite name comprising the Hebrew God JAH (Yahweh), the Canaanite fertility deity, BUL (Baal, who had licentious rites of imitative magic), and ON (Osiris, the ancient Egyptian god of the underworld)."

Swiftturtle

Established
I’ve heard about this.
This is probably coming from Ezekiel 28:13 NKJV
“The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes was prepared for you on the day you were created,”
This verse is talking about Satan btw.

That’s right. One thing about Christianity is about having relationship 1 on 1 with Him. We feel Him. We taste Him.
I talk almost about everything to God because He is my Father! Christianity is about our intimate relationship with God. Like Father and child. That’s why the bible emphasise that a lot and Jesus taught us when we pray, we call our Father.

Our life journey and experiences will tell us a lot about God and our purposes according to His will. We will see God becomes even more real and mightier than when we first believe Him.
If you read Narnia, you know this part.

Yup and also this

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

What is life without God and His Word?
Isn’t that incredible? That He loves us so much that He wants a relationship with us, and becomes so real. The Holy Spirit as well just astounds me. And when I try to describe it, my human self falls short, but I still try. There’s something incredible when you watch someone accept Christ and the Holy Spirit, you can even see it in their face. Nothing but Christ can do that. And the feeling of the presence of the Holy Spirit astounds me

This video is a quick 10 min bite from a Christian scholar (Ravi) that grew up in India and is regularly invited to speak in the Middle East by Islamic scholars:
I watched it upto the point he was talking about desire in the buddhist religion.
He is entirely 100% wrong. There are 2 types of desire in buddhism, Tanha/craving and Chandha/wholesome desire. The aim is to overcome tanha and attain chandha initially through right knowledge. Examples of tanha are greed, gluttony and lust.
if this guy didnt even know this, he has no business discussing religion and is out of his depth.

Swiftturtle

Established
I watched it upto the point he was talking about desire in the buddhist religion.
He is entirely 100% wrong. There are 2 types of desire in buddhism, Tanha/craving and Chandha/wholesome desire. The aim is to overcome tanha and attain chandha initially through right knowledge. Examples of tanha are greed, gluttony and lust.
if this guy didnt even know this, he has no business discussing religion and is out of his depth.
He was relating highlighting that bc it relates to the story that he was getting to...did you even get to the story, or jump ship without understanding the full context? It’s literally only a 10 minute video. The point he gets to at the end is that there are 4 things that a faith has to include without contradiction. He speaks with leaders of every religion, all over the world, usually in a discussion environment with the host religious leader and an audience of ppl that are the same religion as the host. Leaders all over the world, from numerous faiths, believe he’s well versed enough in their faith that they invite him to their country for what is usually a public discussion. If he ‘doesn’t know what he’s talking about’, and wasn’t respectful of the host while still being able to discuss Christianity, he wouldn’t be constantly invited as a guest.

Mr.Fishnet

Established
You mean to say that you are surprised to have not returned to find a new fusion religion that unites polytheism with monotheism and legalism with grace, light with darkness?

I think it is unlikely we will all become Freemasons, start embracing dualism and worshiping the “Great Artchitect” as Jahbulon*

*"In Craft Freemasonry, God is the Great Architect of the Universe. The name of the Great Architect is revealed in the rite of the Holy Arch as JAHBULON. This is a composite name comprising the Hebrew God JAH (Yahweh), the Canaanite fertility deity, BUL (Baal, who had licentious rites of imitative magic), and ON (Osiris, the ancient Egyptian god of the underworld)."
You're right, I don't know what I expected, I thought that there would be at least one religion that is right and proven correct, but I guess such answer doesn't exist....

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
You're right, I don't know what I expected, I thought that there would be at least one religion that is right and proven correct, but I guess such answer doesn't exist....
The Bible certainly doesn’t suggest such a consensus is going to be reached (this side of the Lord’s return)

Matthew 7:13 (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

....but there will come a day when even the hardest of hearts and haughtiest of characters will have to say words they never expected to:-

Philippians 2
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

@Mr.Fishnet

Interesting thread, I asked a similar question myself a while ago but didn't really get any replies: https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/can-a-religion-itself-actually-be-true.6786/

I think it's very important more complex question that people frame it as.
The thing is that the concept of "a religion" itself, especially in the western mindset is taken as a object. It is an ideology and cultural signifier, a symbol of identity etc.

When we see a religion taken as 'doctrine', then we meet more explicit ontological grounding.
A thought here is that if a religion is based solely on a historical event, then it categorically cannot represent an absolute. If a religion is centered around an absolute, with varying historical expressions then we have a completely different situation.

Religion taken as object will always be false, same with religion taken as history. Religions may share their hand in it, but a true religion will not dig itself into that ditch and will have a consistent metaphysical view. Metaphysics after all is the actual most important thing spiritually, aside from one's morals/ethics.

For me personally, this is one of the very obvious philosophical reasons I reject Judaism and Christianity, for instance. The relationship between man and God (the divine, etc) has to be close without anything "in the way".

Lisa

Superstar
I think it's very important more complex question that people frame it as.
It actually isn’t...you keep asking the same question in different ways hoping for a different response and disappointed that you keep getting the same replies to your leading questions.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It actually isn’t...you keep asking the same question in different ways hoping for a different response and disappointed that you keep getting the same replies to your leading questions.
Essentially, those who want to remove the need for the work of the Cross deny the barrier of original sin. As Islam doesn’t believe in it, it makes the hurdle of God’s righteousness seem achievable and rejects the Biblical diagnosis of the human condition:-

Romans 3 tells it like it is!

All Have Sinned
9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.

10 As it is written:

“There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside;
They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one.”
13 “Their throat is an open tomb;
With their tongues they have practiced deceit”;
“The poison of asps is under their lips”;
14 “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 Destruction and misery are in their ways;
17 And the way of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

shankara

Veteran
I am at a point in my life where I don't know what to believe or who to follow. Every religion states it's the only true religion, I am in fear of choosing the wrong path (religion) or going to hell. What are your thoughts?
Is fear of hell a good motivation to practise religion?