What's The Difference Between Prayer And Worship?

Haich

Superstar
@Haich

Thanks alot for your reply.
Hope I clarified a few things on Islam for you :)

Can you answer the same questions regarding Christianity? I think Artful tried to explain it to me on another thread but it was a little confusing. He said something reincarnation but I had no idea that was part of Christianity! You learn something new everyday on here lol

Todd

Star
Hope I clarified a few things on Islam for you :)

Can you answer the same questions regarding Christianity? I think Artful tried to explain it to me on another thread but it was a little confusing. He said something reincarnation but I had no idea that was part of Christianity! You learn something new everyday on here lol
Artful was the first and so far only one I have ever heard state reincarnation is a part of Christianity. The Bible does take about ages to come, before time is completely destroyed and we enter enternity, but does not going into alot of specifics. Not all Christians understand it the same way, but my view is similar to what you described. The dead are presently in heaven, but "asleep" in the grave. I totally agree with your concept about time not applying to the dead. Their next monent of consciousness will be judgement day.

Your take on believers of the Abrahamic faith, following their particular prophet at Judgement day was new to me. It's an interesting concept.
Anyways, I think all but the most sanctified believers will go through some type of correction process after judgement day in the ages to come. Genuine believers in God, those who truly followed the greatest commandments " Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind and love your neighbor as yourself" will have the shortest/easiest period of correction and purification. The most wicked people that walked earth will likely have the greatest amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth, before they come to ture repentance and reconciliation with God.

When the unbelievers come out of their period of correction and purification the true saints of God will be there to minister healing to them.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Haha
Various Christian sects can hold whatever view that they find favourable but the Bible teaches that the dead are dead. Neither are ascended to heaven nor hell. Apparitions of the deceased are demons. All are asleep awaiting the resurrection. David isn't ascended to heaven. The bible talks about the resurrection incessantly. There are people who have ascended to heaven without tasting death (Enoch and Elijah), others have been resurrected (Christ, Lazarus, and the multitude that arose together with Christ: Matthew 27:51-53). Christ is returning to raise the dead. If they were already in heaven, what would be the point? Judgement is taking place now (unawares to us) because He says: Behold, Iam coming soon! My reward is with Me, and i will give to everyone according to what he has done (Rev 22:12). Obviously,one is rewarded after its been decided what one deserves. The righteous dead, in all ages, will arise at the voice of Christ (only He has power to do that), when He calls them forth. Imagine the tumult when that great multitude awakes from the dust of the earth! Its one event i look foward to witnessing! Christ clearly states that those who crucified Him will rise and will recognise Him.

Haich

Superstar
Artful was the first and so far only one I have ever heard state reincarnation is a part of Christianity. The Bible does take about ages to come, before time is completely destroyed and we enter enternity, but does not going into alot of specifics. Not all Christians understand it the same way, but my view is similar to what you described. The dead are presently in heaven, but "asleep" in the grave. I totally agree with your concept about time not applying to the dead. Their next monent of consciousness will be judgement day.

Your take on believers of the Abrahamic faith, following their particular prophet at Judgement day was new to me. It's an interesting concept.
Anyways, I think all but the most sanctified believers will go through some type of correction process after judgement day in the ages to come. Genuine believers in God, those who truly followed the greatest commandments " Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind and love your neighbor as yourself" will have the shortest/easiest period of correction and purification. The most wicked people that walked earth will likely have the greatest amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth, before they come to ture repentance and reconciliation with God.

When the unbelievers come out of their period of correction and purification the true saints of God will be there to minister healing to them.
Thanks for clearing that up I thought Hinduism was centred of reincarnation so I guess my suspicions about it not being part of Christianity, well I'll say mainstream Christianity don't want to offend anyone who thinks otherwise. The Abrahamic faiths don't mention reincarnation in their scriptures at all

Define wicked? Don't want to be too picky but it's a general term for a bad sinner but are there distinctions? I touched on this in the 'is a sin a sin' thread but ultimately J Day is about being judged on how you lived your life in accordance to God's way. Did you worship? Pray? Acknowledge and accept his messengers and prophets? Then the secondary part would be your time on earth. Did you spend it well? Helping those around you or did you indulge in the deadly sins were warned about? The point is God emphasises we have to worship him and obey his command and keep him in every aspect of our lives. Or else we'll fall pray to Satan. Are there specifications in Christianity as to whether the lake of fire is a location like hell?

Haich

Superstar
Yh I agree, we believe purification happens after sins are punished in hell. Sins have different periods and lengths of punishments e.g a petty thief will spend less time in hell than a serial killer. Eventually the petty theft will be admitted to heaven and forgiven. The serial killer may be admitted to heaven but after a gruelling punishment in hell. This is just examples God ultimately decides who enters his Kingdom of Paradise.

Haich

Superstar
Haha
Various Christian sects can hold whatever view that they find favourable but the Bible teaches that the dead are dead. Neither are ascended to heaven nor hell. Apparitions of the deceased are demons. All are asleep awaiting the resurrection. David isn't ascended to heaven. The bible talks about the resurrection incessantly. There are people who have ascended to heaven without tasting death (Enoch and Elijah), others have been resurrected (Christ, Lazarus, and the multitude that arose together with Christ: Matthew 27:51-53). Christ is returning to raise the dead. If they were already in heaven, what would be the point? Judgement is taking place now (unawares to us) because He says: Behold, Iam coming soon! My reward is with Me, and i will give to everyone according to what he has done (Rev 22:12). Obviously,one is rewarded after its been decided what one deserves. The righteous dead, in all ages, will arise at the voice of Christ (only He has power to do that), when He calls them forth. Imagine the tumult when that great multitude awakes from the dust of the earth! Its one event i look foward to witnessing! Christ clearly states that those who crucified Him will rise and will recognise Him.
Thanks for the response it was an interesting read !

Todd

Star
Define wicked? Don't want to be too picky but it's a general term for a bad sinner but are there distinctions?
I would consider the wicked as those who defiantly rebel against God or people who even by the world's standards are considered evil. I don't have a concise definition though.....

Those who think they are just "good people" but do not acknowledge or worship God in any manner, are simply unbelievers.
I actually think it's possible that many "unbelievers" will have an easier "sentence" than hypocritical religious people, like the ones that Jesus talked about in Matthew 25:35-46 and Matthew 7:21-23.

If we take what Jesus said was the summation of the Law "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself" as the basis for correction and punishemnet, there are alot of "religious" people that are going to be put to shame by unbelievers who helped their fellow man.

Damien50

Star
Prayer in its simplest expression to me is conversation with God.

Worship of God to me is a three fold experience in that I worship God through my desire to edify myself in the knowledge of Him, that I completely yearn for him with all by heart and only want to love Him, and thirdly that I believe in the His words and the sacrifice of His son with a regenerate heart and sealed spirit.

With that said I believe I am in a state of prayer more often than I am in worship.

Haich

Superstar
I like Damien's definition of prayer and worship. It's quite close to how Muslims see the two

Worship is what links us with our creator. We simply can't survive on prayers here and there and hope he'll accept us. Worship is what separates a strong or lets say a consistent believer and a complacent or negligent believer

However I don't think God would just turn his back on someone who doesn't worship him...

Haich

Superstar
Sometimes religious or devout people think they have a judgement free entry to heaven. It's a form of overconfidence and arrogance, consistently worshipping and prayer to god is the way you can't just simply believe in him

llleopard

Established
I'm not following you. Jesus speaking to Father is only ridiculous if you think Jesus is God. The Bible never says Jesus is God...it says he is the son of God and Peter says that God made Jesus both Lord and Christ. When Jesus asked Peter who he was, Peter did not say he was God. He said he was the son of God.

A physical son has the DNA of his father. A son shares the nature of his father, but a son does not exist with the Father before he was born. The idea that Jesus was pre-existant with the Father is an interpretation and not an explicit teaching of the Bible.
If God, according to Peter, had to "make" Jesus Lord and Christ, doesn't that imply that Jesus was at some point, not Lord and Christ?
Hmm. I've been thinking about this....how do you see these verses...
In Isaiah 42 v 8, God says 8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

and then in John 17 v 5, Jesus, speaking to God says 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
To me that seems fairly explicit that God will not give his glory to another, so when Jesus says he had the glory with his Father before the world was, he is acknowledging that he is God.
How would you interpret this?

Todd

Star
Hmm. I've been thinking about this....how do you see these verses...
In Isaiah 42 v 8, God says 8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

and then in John 17 v 5, Jesus, speaking to God says 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
To me that seems fairly explicit that God will not give his glory to another, so when Jesus says he had the glory with his Father before the world was, he is acknowledging that he is God.
How would you interpret this?
Well we need to read John 17:5 in context before we read to much into it.
17 These things spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to the heaven, and said -- `Father, the hour hath come, glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee,
2 according as Thou didst give to him authority over all flesh, that -- all that Thou hast given to him -- he may give to them life age-during;
3 and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ;
4 I did glorify Thee on the earth, the work I did finish that Thou hast given me, that I may do [it].
5 `And now, glorify me, Thou Father, with Thyself, with the glory that I had before the world was, with Thee;

First, notice that the context of verse 1-4 does little to support the idea that Jesus was God. Jesus was speaking to God as his Father, and also saying that the authority that he had was given to him by God. If Jesus was God he would have no need for the Father to give him authority. Then he goes on to say that the Father is the only true God and proclaims he was sent by God, implying he wasn't God.

So what does verse 5 really mean then? First the word "world" in that verse is the greek word "Kosmos". In biblical usage "kosmos" refers to the systems of this world, not creation itself. Second the word translated "was" is the greek word "einai", which means "to be" not "was".

The KJV translates Strong's G1511 in the following manner: to be (33x), be (28x), was (15x), is (14x), am (7x), are (6x), were (4x), not translated (11x), miscellaneous (8x).
Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. to be, to exist, to happen, to be present
the proper tense for "einai" is present or predictive, not past. The KJV translates the word as present or future tense 88 times and as past tense 19 times. This is another case were the KJV translators were reading their own pre-conceived doctrinal bias into the text.

What Jesus is really saying here is that he is asking God to glorify him in the "kosmos" that is about to be initiated (the kingdom of God) the same way he did at that transfiguration (before the world that is about to be).
If Jesus was talking about the Glory of being God that he had before creation even existed, why would he need to ask God to glorify him again (notice he says in the beginning of the verse, "NOW"). The glory he received at the transfiguration is the glory he asking the father to give him.

In the same chapter verse 20-23
20 `And not in regard to these alone do I ask, but also in regard to those who shall be believing, through their word, in me;
21 that they all may be one, as Thou Father [art] in me, and I in Thee; that they also in us may be one, that the world may believe that Thou didst send me.
22 `And I, the glory that thou hast given to me, have given to them, that they may be one as we are one;
23 I in them, and Thou in me, that they may be perfected into one, and that the world may know that Thou didst send me, and didst love them as Thou didst love me.

Here now Jesus is asking that just as he is one with the Father that all believers be one with the Father. So obviously Jesus did not equate being one with the Father as being God. He also states that the Glory being given to him, he will also give to us. So obviously this glory that Jesus is speaking of is not the glory reserved for God alone.

This is a good example of trying to create doctrine from a verse isolated from it's context. In context John 17:5 is a very weak argument for Jesus being God.

llleopard

Established
Well we need to read John 17:5 in context before we read to much into it.
17 These things spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to the heaven, and said -- `Father, the hour hath come, glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee,
2 according as Thou didst give to him authority over all flesh, that -- all that Thou hast given to him -- he may give to them life age-during;
3 and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ;
4 I did glorify Thee on the earth, the work I did finish that Thou hast given me, that I may do [it].
5 `And now, glorify me, Thou Father, with Thyself, with the glory that I had before the world was, with Thee;

First, notice that the context of verse 1-4 does little to support the idea that Jesus was God. Jesus was speaking to God as his Father, and also saying that the authority that he had was given to him by God. If Jesus was God he would have no need for the Father to give him authority. Then he goes on to say that the Father is the only true God and proclaims he was sent by God, implying he wasn't God.

So what does verse 5 really mean then? First the word "world" in that verse is the greek word "Kosmos". In biblical usage "kosmos" refers to the systems of this world, not creation itself. Second the word translated "was" is the greek word "einai", which means "to be" not "was".

The KJV translates Strong's G1511 in the following manner: to be (33x), be (28x), was (15x), is (14x), am (7x), are (6x), were (4x), not translated (11x), miscellaneous (8x).
Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. to be, to exist, to happen, to be present
the proper tense for "einai" is present or predictive, not past. The KJV translates the word as present or future tense 88 times and as past tense 19 times. This is another case were the KJV translators were reading their own pre-conceived doctrinal bias into the text.

What Jesus is really saying here is that he is asking God to glorify him in the "kosmos" that is about to be initiated (the kingdom of God) the same way he did at that transfiguration (before the world that is about to be).
If Jesus was talking about the Glory of being God that he had before creation even existed, why would he need to ask God to glorify him again (notice he says in the beginning of the verse, "NOW"). The glory he received at the transfiguration is the glory he asking the father to give him.

In the same chapter verse 20-23
20 `And not in regard to these alone do I ask, but also in regard to those who shall be believing, through their word, in me;
21 that they all may be one, as Thou Father [art] in me, and I in Thee; that they also in us may be one, that the world may believe that Thou didst send me.
22 `And I, the glory that thou hast given to me, have given to them, that they may be one as we are one;
23 I in them, and Thou in me, that they may be perfected into one, and that the world may know that Thou didst send me, and didst love them as Thou didst love me.

Here now Jesus is asking that just as he is one with the Father that all believers be one with the Father. So obviously Jesus did not equate being one with the Father as being God. He also states that the Glory being given to him, he will also give to us. So obviously this glory that Jesus is speaking of is not the glory reserved for God alone.

This is a good example of trying to create doctrine from a verse isolated from it's context. In context John 17:5 is a very weak argument for Jesus being God.
Thankyou, I will think about this :)
I would like to say though, that I am not 'trying to create doctrine'. I have been honest that I am asking questions and putting out ideas because I don't know all the answers and want to figure out what is true and what is not. When you make statements like that I feel as if you are accusing me of something. You may not actually be God either....possibly even fallible yourself :)

Todd

Star
Thankyou, I will think about this :)
I would like to say though, that I am not 'trying to create doctrine'. I have been honest that I am asking questions and putting out ideas because I don't know all the answers and want to figure out what is true and what is not. When you make statements like that I feel as if you are accusing me of something. You may not actually be God either....possibly even fallible yourself :)
Forgive me....I should have worded that differently. I was trying to make the point that the Church has created doctrine using poor methods. Please forgive me for assuming you were coming from an orthodox church doctrine position:(. And no I am not God and I am certainly fallible and I appreciate your honestly and willingness to at least ponder and consider my viewpoint;).

In Hebrew, the main words for worship mean 'bow down, prostrate yourself, fall down, do reverance'
I kinda agree with this definition because

In prostration, your face (the most honorable part of your body) is as low as possible.

And you're doing it for Whom except The One nobody has ever Seen.

The humility one adopts by believing in An Unseen Being is just too beautiful when moreover he/she falls on his/her face in total submission.

Last edited: