What would you do if you had Jeff bezos’s $$$

Lisa

Superstar
You can’t imagine a single reason why someone might need to know the time lisa? If all it did was bring a small to the Guys face and some renewed hope in humanity for a minute then it was worth it as far as I’m concerned. It was just an example, maybe not the best one but it just happened so it was what I thought of.

I’m sure the guy who bought our tire had zero clue how much he helped us or what was even the point. We didn’t look poor or struggling, certainly not homeless. Yet he did. If some stupid small insignificant thing like that could help someone so much... what could billions of dollars worth of things do?

Karma is a thing Lisa, atleast on some level. That isn’t some sort of sole reason for doing stuff but the universe has a funny way about it.

If helping the less fortunate twasn’t part of the Christian religion why would churches make tithing a requirement and why would they head all the biggest charities?
I can’t imagine a single reason a homeless person needs to know the time, Jess...do they have an appointment they have to get to? Really? Your husband gave someone something that couldn’t have any impact on their life.

Billions of dollars only help if someone is willing to pull themselves out of the pit they got themselves into or found themselves in.

So you only help because of karma? I don’t think that makes you as altruistic as you think you are.

The tithing is the way a church keeps going.

God only works in mysterious ways when a child dies. <end sarcasm font>
Not sure what you mean by this.

Haich

Superstar
I've always wondered why people like Jeff Bozo don't spend in the way of those less fortunate. I guess when you're that high up on the financial ladder it can be quite easy to forget about us ants...

I guess I'd move out of London and move to Wales or Scotland, somewhere more rural with fresh air and free parking! (Literally no parking in London...)

Once I've sorted out my family and made sure that everyone had a house and money to splash I'd look at the chronic shortage of affordable housing that is plaguing millions in the UK. I'd start in London and build a series of affordable social housing areas where people eventually had the right to buy out their properties or if that wasn't possible for them, award them and their children life time tenancies. I realise this is of course easier said than done but with that kind of money, making profit wouldn't be at the forefront of my mind, it would be making sure people had a home.

Secondly, I'd invest in social care. Due to austerity cuts under the Tories we have a struggling population constantly at the mercy of local authorities who are underfunded. I'd build a series of care homes where the severely ill would be cared for and give the families respite. I'd also set up a fund for those who need wheelchairs, mobility scooters etc...

Lastly, I'd set up homeless hubs where people would get free hot meals, clothes, haircuts and a place to lay their head. You'd be surprised by what they could achieve if they were given the basic necessities...the condition of these services would be to help maintain the facility by cleaning/washing dishes/cooking etc. (So signing up for some chores) and to see a psychologist/psychiatrist/drugs counsellor to get to the possible root of their addiction or help them with their thoughts...
There would also be a careers service to help with CVs and get them applying for jobs.

Quite ambitious but hey! Maybe one day this will all come true lol

Haich

Superstar
There shouldn't be chronic homelessness and addiction in a so-called 'progressive western nation'. There is more than enough money about to alleviate these issues but of course the government doesn't care!

It's a class war where the privileged preserve their wealth and fund the nation on the backs of working class people.

But our prime minister is quite happy to fund a 20 billion pound bridge which connects Scotland to England.

Priorities, hey?

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
Neither one of us gives a lick what he used the watch and cash for after the fact. We hope he ate something warm and kept the watch so he atleast knows what time it is. If he didn’t then it is what it is. It isn’t about him, it’s about who we are as people and doing the right thing even if - especially if - others aren’t.
There is a nice text about this right here: http://olavodecarvalho.org/pobreza-e-grossura/
It is in portuguese but google autotranslate will work wonders.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
I can’t imagine a single reason a homeless person needs to know the time, Jess...do they have an appointment they have to get to? Really? Your husband gave someone something that couldn’t have any impact on their life.
Oh, now I disagree here. Keeping up time helps people keep their sanity. Maybe that's why the guy asked for the time in the first place.
That's why some homeless people get hooked on drugs, at least is something to keep them busy. Think about it, boredom, loneliness, time stretches to enormous lenghts... something to keep up pace now seems really useful, doesn't it?

edit: now that I think about it, why would not a homeless want to know the time? I think that shelters have a time schedule. Shelters, trains... even church masses have a schedule.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar

Billions of dollars only help if someone is willing to pull themselves out of the pit they got themselves into or found themselves in.

So you only help because of karma? I don’t think that makes you as altruistic as you think you are.

The tithing is the way a church keeps going.

Not sure what you mean by this.
No Lisa. For the hundredth time. I help, where I can, because it’s the right thing to do. Because I was raised in your religion and that’s what YOUR GOD said was the right thing to do. And I believed him.

The guy asked for the time so clearly he wanted to know what time it is, right?

If I had billions of dollars Lisa, I’d buy up all the foreclosed properties in my area, hire a bunch of people who can’t find jobs (criminal records, disabilities whatever) teach them how to fix them up and have them fix them up with other more skilled people, then give them to income families.

I’d buy a farm and hire some farmers and donate all the food above and beyond what my families and the farmers need.

I’d pay off all our relatives debts (mortgages, student loans, credit cards), start trust funds for all the kids.

For every expensive car I bought myself I’d spend the same amount on good used reliable vehicles and give them to the women’s shelters so that women fleeing from abuse could access them.

I’d pay for the girl next door to go to nursing school and gift her and her mom the house we are currently living in. Id fund the summer camp in my town to make it free for all kids and expand the hours so that parents can get to work (right now it’s free but only 10-3). I’d donate a dollar for every dollar I kept to some charity or another that is doing good by people.

Me and my husband were not in some “pit” when we were homeless due to some sort of moral failing and we didn’t need some paternalistic bitch to value judge what we needed to come out of it. We needed money. That was it.

justjess

Superstar
I've always wondered why people like Jeff Bozo don't spend in the way of those less fortunate. I guess when you're that high up on the financial ladder it can be quite easy to forget about us ants...

I guess I'd move out of London and move to Wales or Scotland, somewhere more rural with fresh air and free parking! (Literally no parking in London...)

Once I've sorted out my family and made sure that everyone had a house and money to splash I'd look at the chronic shortage of affordable housing that is plaguing millions in the UK. I'd start in London and build a series of affordable social housing areas where people eventually had the right to buy out their properties or if that wasn't possible for them, award them and their children life time tenancies. I realise this is of course easier said than done but with that kind of money, making profit wouldn't be at the forefront of my mind, it would be making sure people had a home.

Secondly, I'd invest in social care. Due to austerity cuts under the Tories we have a struggling population constantly at the mercy of local authorities who are underfunded. I'd build a series of care homes where the severely ill would be cared for and give the families respite. I'd also set up a fund for those who need wheelchairs, mobility scooters etc...

Lastly, I'd set up homeless hubs where people would get free hot meals, clothes, haircuts and a place to lay their head. You'd be surprised by what they could achieve if they were given the basic necessities...the condition of these services would be to help maintain the facility by cleaning/washing dishes/cooking etc. (So signing up for some chores) and to see a psychologist/psychiatrist/drugs counsellor to get to the possible root of their addiction or help them with their thoughts...
There would also be a careers service to help with CVs and get them applying for jobs.

Quite ambitious but hey! Maybe one day this will all come true lol
Love it.

Lisa

Superstar
Oh, now I disagree here. Keeping up time helps people keep their sanity. Maybe that's why the guy asked for the time in the first place.
That's why some homeless people get hooked on drugs, at least is something to keep them busy. Think about it, boredom, loneliness, time stretches to enormous lenghts... something to keep up pace now seems really useful, doesn't it?

edit: now that I think about it, why would not a homeless want to know the time? I think that shelters have a time schedule. Shelters, trains... even church masses have a schedule.
He wanted to know the time to slow someone down to beg. Why would the homeless need to know the time otherwise? He doesn’t need to know it because he has no where he needs to be. We who aren’t homeless need to keep track of time.

Lisa

Superstar
I'm sure you would not think that God had anything to do with me finding about the same amount of money as I used to help a homeless guy, but would rationalize a child's death as "God working in mysterious ways".
Why would I rationalize a child’s death like that? It would be sad no matter how you slice it.

Cintra

Star
I can’t imagine a single reason a homeless person needs to know the time, Jess...do they have an appointment they have to get to? Really? .
Oh, Lisa! This is so unfair.
There are many reasons a homeless man would need to know the time.
Yes, they may well have an appointment. And that appointment may be for a place to live, or a job that leads to a place to live.
Your comment is prejudiced against an entire group of people, all of whom have different stories, different reasons, and different needs.

I'm sure you can't have meant it in the way it comes across.
It is an outrageous statement.

justjess

Superstar
He wanted to know the time to slow someone down to beg. Why would the homeless need to know the time otherwise? He doesn’t need to know it because he has no where he needs to be. We who aren’t homeless need to keep track of time.
He didn’t beg anyone. He didn’t ask my husband for anything other then the time.

I was homeless I needed to know the time. Homeless people have jobs, families, appointments. At the very least knowing what time it is to go to a soup kitchen. Your really just ignorant.

Tbh I have no idea why a housewife with an empty nest would ever need to know the time. That’s a harder hurdle to get past.

DevaWolf

Veteran
Maybe because he might have a job interview to go to? And there are plenty of homeless people that work in the USA, they need to be on time on their jobs.

DevaWolf

Veteran
- Use it to build shelters for the homeless and good trajectories for them to get their life back on track
-Build extra houses with no rent to house the poor/homeless and disabled communities
-Free medical care for anyone in my shelters or houses
- Funding research for curing diseases
- Funding sustainable development projects that reduce greenhouse gas emmissions that are fair to everyone involved
- Creating a food programme for third world countries and freeing slaves/ buying out children who are exploited and bringing them back to their parents with a free education
- Funding schools and hospitals in developing countries

Well and a mansion for me and those I love, with a private chef and personal trainer. Not much else needed or wanted.

Lisa

Superstar
I think its more that there are a lot of ants...

Lisa

Superstar
Oh, Lisa! This is so unfair.
There are many reasons a homeless man would need to know the time.
Yes, they may well have an appointment. And that appointment may be for a place to live, or a job that leads to a place to live.
Your comment is prejudiced against an entire group of people, all of whom have different stories, different reasons, and different needs.

I'm sure you can't have meant it in the way it comes across.
It is an outrageous statement.
I did mean it the way it came across...I think the man was getting Jess’ husband to stop so he could ask for money..not because he needed the time. She even said the guys was surprised to get the watch...he didn’t need it.

Lisa

Superstar
Maybe because he might have a job interview to go to? And there are plenty of homeless people that work in the USA, they need to be on time on their jobs.
I don’t see that as the reason he needed to know the time..sorry.

Lisa

Superstar
- Use it to build shelters for the homeless and good trajectories for them to get their life back on track
-Build extra houses with no rent to house the poor/homeless and disabled communities
-Free medical care for anyone in my shelters or houses
- Funding research for curing diseases
- Funding sustainable development projects that reduce greenhouse gas emmissions that are fair to everyone involved
- Creating a food programme for third world countries and freeing slaves/ buying out children who are exploited and bringing them back to their parents with a free education
- Funding schools and hospitals in developing countries

Well and a mansion for me and those I love, with a private chef and personal trainer. Not much else needed or wanted.
Are you then paying for all the workers who build the shelters? Paying for the rent on the houses? Paying for the medical care?

I think for the 3rd world..you‘ll first have to get rid of the dictators and install benevolent rulers there to have a chance in those countries...its the dictators that take for themselves that leaves the rest without.

Do you help with staffing those schools and hospitals..and how do you curtail the crime and corruption in those countries which is their biggest problems to sustainability? You see..its not just a money issue...if it were it would have already been solved.