What would you do if you had Jeff bezos’s $$$

justjess

Superstar
I was talking about this with my husband this morning and think it is an interesting thought experiment...

Bezos is worth $126 billion ish as of this moment. He makes something like 11,000$ per minute.

What would you do if you had that kind of money?

Buy a house for myself and my mother, new cars for the both of us, pay of our debts, the debts of my friends, the debts of our family, build myself a new top of the line computer, get all the records I wanted to ever collect... Set some money aside so I could live comfortably... And then start a company who's sole purpose is to help the poor and homeless, including inner cities.

Todd

Star
I would likely research the ministries and charities that I believed were doing the most to help hurting people. I would likely donate a significant amount to those before starting my own ministry to help people in crisis type situations. Everything from people who were victims of abuse of all kinds, to people trapped in addictions, etc. I would also start a foundation for scholarships of various types, including helping elderly people who cannot afford proper elder care for end of life situations.

Of course I would have some fun and make sure my family had everything they wanted or needed, but when talking about that kind of money, that would be a pretty small percentage of it. Just trying to think of ways to spend that kind of money would actually be a 40 hour per week job. ;)

Johnny5

Veteran
One thing about being in that position is, it's not really money until you sell those shares that make you that rich on paper. If you do sell all those shares, then you tank the company taking with it all the employees, investors, suppliers, manufacturers etc... relying on the company. Also he can't just quit or take a smaller role just yet or the company could tank as well.

If none of that were true and I was in his place, I would start charities, fund charities and like Toddson said look for those that are most helping to those that are suffering most.

Oh and Id buy a Lamborghini for every day of the week <sarc>

justjess

Superstar
He has sold 14 billion of Amazon stock over the last couple years. So he still has atleast 14 billion on hand - that’s an absurd amount of money.

I think I’d take like 2 billion and make sure my ancestors are financially set for the rest of eternity. The rest - whether that be 12 billion or 124 billion I’d give away in some fashion. Build houses for the homeless, fund efforts to end hunger, start companies that give jobs to populations that have difficulty finding employment.. invest in curing cancer or something.

Of course I’d buy myself a nice house and a nice beach house and some dope cars. I’d do the same for all my relatives. But financing that would cost a tiny fraction of the overall amount of money i have.

I guess I just wonder why the people who have that kind of money don’t seem all that concerned with doing GOOD with it. After all your needs and wildest desires are taken care of and your ensured your family and descendents would be taken care of until the end of time.. what do you need the rest for?

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
The rest - whether that be 12 billion or 124 billion I’d give away in some fashion. Build houses for the homeless, fund efforts to end hunger, start companies that give jobs to populations that have difficulty finding employment.. invest in curing cancer or something.
and that's the part where your private plane mysteriously crashes.

That kind of money would be more of a curse. For me anyways.

Lurker

Star
To the OP, IDK. Me and mine would be set of course.

Fund independent media.
Support returning troops. Not that I agree with foreign policy, but the soldiers deserve better.
Buy a compound for VCer's.
Fund restoring felon rights.
Fund animal shelters.

It's a start.

Stephania

Star
I was talking about this with my husband this morning and think it is an interesting thought experiment...

Bezos is worth $126 billion ish as of this moment. He makes something like 11,000$ per minute.

What would you do if you had that kind of money?
Give it to the poor.

Aero

Superstar
Everyone thinks handing down money will work. I got a newsflash for you when faced with that much money, our families aren't going to say thanks for the cut and be done with it. They are going to fight over it endlessly.

I would start my own country or something.

justjess

Superstar
Everyone thinks handing down money will work. I got a newsflash for you when faced with that much money, our families aren't going to say thanks for the cut and be done with it. They are going to fight over it endlessly.

I would start my own country or something.
Lol I’m well aware of what families do. That’s what they created trust funds for.

Somehow my grandparents were able to die and leave everyone money without us killing each other. My parents will won’t be contested either, the only thing I can see me and my sister arguing over is the jewelry and only because we can’t get along on a good day to begin with. At some point I might discuss with my mother making more clear her wishes regarding her non financial assets but probably not cuz I don’t care that much and if my sister does do that she can just have it.

My husbands family alternatively has been fighting over his grandmothers estate for upwards of twenty years.

It just depends.

Edit: in also never going to have a billion dollars so... just a thought experiment.

Last edited:

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
lol I don't have even 1e10-1 percent of his Money and i'm working on a Project to teach kids programming so we can get better, excuse me for the brazilian term, zoeiras the next gen. Imagine having his huge ammount of Money, i'd teach everyone here programming and give at least one arduino per kid.

Get the brazilian creativity, brazil would be cyberpunk 2077 in less than a year.

1581356928733.png

Lisa

Superstar
I wouldn‘t want the money and am glad I don’t have it...money isn’t everything in life.