What To Do When Family/ Friends Etc Believes Opposite Gay Marriage Position?

JoChris

Superstar
I am interested in all people's issues and experiences in this matter. My social worker sister is constantly posting on pro-gay marriage/sex change on Facebook. My other sister has started to spread the same propaganda since she found out her son is gay. My brother has started as well.

It has got so ridiculous if they weren't relatives I would block them. Thank goodness I live so far away from them!

What have people done when dealing with opposite position with people on this matter?

JoChris

Superstar
You can unfollow people on Facebook so you don't have to see their posts but you'll remain friends :)
I actually wouldn't know unless my husband blocked them. By default through him I am though. It's how they all communicate with each other since it doesn't cost anything except privacy.
I resisted the temptation to join and boy am I glad I did!!! :D

polymoog

Superstar
What have people done when dealing with opposite position with people on this matter?
never had this problem, but...
all parties should avoid the discussion and focus on the fact that they are still family and have a history with one another. the alternative is to stop speaking to your family because of one ideological reason. is it worth it? depends on how strongly you feel.

JoChris

Superstar
never had this problem, but...
all parties should avoid the discussion and focus on the fact that they are still family and have a history with one another. the alternative is to stop speaking to your family because of one ideological reason. is it worth it? depends on how strongly you feel.
I certainly hope we would never stop talking because of our different perspectives on issues like this. I am exasperated that they have become self-appointed evangelists on this matter. I also know how people's minds cannot be changed by appeals to emotions only.

It seems like I can't turn on the news or go to any news website without seeing pro-gay marriage propaganda. Now my siblings have started it too. :rolleyes:

If they can't understand the difference between a sterile union and a union that creates life (the highest divine attribute), then that's their problem. People tend to convince themselves rather than be convinced by another so no reason to break your head over it.

JoChris

Superstar
If they can't understand the difference between a sterile union and a union that creates life (the highest divine attribute), then that's their problem. People tend to convince themselves rather than be convinced by another so no reason to break your head over it.
They'd use the "so you'd only let people planning to have children get married" distraction tactic.

I know no-one can force another person to actually sincerely change their mind. I certainly am too stubborn to let someone try to change my mind too.

llleopard

Established
They'd use the "so you'd only let people planning to have children get married" distraction tactic.

I know no-one can force another person to actually sincerely change their mind. I certainly am too stubborn to let someone try to change my mind too.
We sometimes bang up against this too. My husbands sister, the one he is closest to, is both gay and Wiccan and we all disagree on many things. We are all old enough to have heard each others views many times, so mostly we keep off those topics or just refuse to rise to any deliberate or accidental bait. A few years back she asked if my husband would be celebrant for her wedding, but he said no. He agreed to be photographer, which was a big compromise for him, as 12 years ago he wouldn't attend their Wiccan hand fasting, and didn't really want any part of their wedding. She was not offended this time, and we just smiled through the spells and as he put it 'take pics for her of what makes her happy' which she really appreciated because she knows what that cost him personally. Basically it
takes both parties to be very accepting and forgiving, and committed to having serenity to accept the things you can't change, courage to have hard but respectful conversations, and wisdom to not stuff the relationship up. And pray - I find that makes me less argumentative and less likely to make an idiot of myself. Time is also vital...their views may not change but hopefully they will get off the bandwagon as they work through the issues and be able to relate to you with a different lens ☺

Damien50

Star
What does it matter? If it makes you uncomfortable that is one thing but otherwise I find it irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If they as as individuals are toxic then avoid them but otherwise spend some time with people different from yourself.

Sometimes being uncomfortable is a blessing.

mecca

Superstar
My social worker sister is constantly posting on pro-gay marriage/sex change on Facebook. My other sister has started to spread the same propaganda since she found out her son is gay.
So anything in support of gay people is propaganda?
What's wrong with your sister supporting her son?
It's just facebook posts so don't look at them if you don't want to.

Last edited:

Valerian

Rookie
Maybe you should try understanding them instead of being mad and having hatred for no legitimate reason.

Since you know.... God said that you shouldnt be judging people and having animosity for no legitimate reasons especially if they never harmed you.

But of course, "religious" people tend to forget all that, and prefer to just tell people they will burn in hell for eternity.

Thunderian

Superstar
Maybe you should try understanding them instead of being mad and having hatred for no legitimate reason.

Since you know.... God said that you shouldnt be judging people and having animosity for no legitimate reasons especially if they never harmed you.

But of course, "religious" people tend to forget all that, and prefer to just tell people they will burn in hell for eternity.
Maybe you should try understanding the Christian point of view instead of assuming that what someone said about them is true.

And maybe you should read the Bible instead of telling people things that aren't in it.

JoChris

Superstar
So anything is support of gay people is propaganda?
What's wrong with your sister supporting her son?
It's just facebook posts so don't look at them if you don't want to.
You have to see the type of messages one of my sisters is sending; if she wasn't about to get married next month (yay! Lovely guy) you would swear she was a lesbian herself. Nothing questionable in nature, but miltant pro-gay marriage messages all the same. Virtue signalling in fact.

My other sister has the gay son. He is likely to be at the wedding perhaps with his boyfriend too.

As I hinted above- I have my sister's wedding to go to in three weeks and I want NO conflict of any variety. My family is not the small-talk variety of conversation like my husband's is.

My father asked what I thought and he agrees with me, traditional position. He doesn't have any religious beliefs though.

JoChris

Superstar

Because I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman (because I believe what the bible says is true) you claim I have hatred and animosity towards my siblings because they now believe the polar opposite to me?! Now that is being judgemental!!!

I expressed annoyance at the constant propaganda on TV etc and now my siblings supplying it too. I don't agree with them obviously and I don't want conflict with them either. I won't lie to them though.

JoChris

Superstar
I would say delete your Facebook. I avoid Facebook myself.
I only have Facebook by default. My husband keeps in touch with all his ex-army mates that way. He has my family on his contacts list.

manama

Star
Just show them a youtube video of bunch of SJWs getting rekt with logic lol.

Kidding but the best thing you can do is just ignore, or you know have a discussion regarding all points but in all honesty most of the times discussions turn into arguments and thats a petty thing to lose close ones with.