What religions have you practiced other than your own?

Please contribute your thoughts, I'm interested to know what kind of backgrounds the people of this forum come from. Before your current religion, what did you practice? how deep into it were you? why did you leave it?

Honestly, it comes as no surprise that the demographic of most religious people on this site are illiterate in other religions, such ignorance is necessary for keeping up the illusion of self-superiority. Such illusion strengthens the emotion attached to arbitrary belief.
Strength of emotional attachment to a thing does not equate to truth, shockingly so few are able to grasp the reality of it.

DesertRose

Superstar
fyi I just encountered this thread...
I would say I was irreligious but that I was exposed to Russian Orthodox and Catholicism.
I was in a Catholic high school and took religion class I remember we tended to write much about the encyclicals.
So before Islam I practiced nothing, our family were not practicing Muslims.

Last edited:
fyi I just encountered this thread...
I would say I was irreligious but that I was exposed to Russian Orthodox and Catholicism.
I was in a Catholic high school and took religion class I remember we tended to write much about the encyclicals.
So before Islam I practiced nothing, our family were not practicing Muslims.
Intriguing, I grew up a non-denominational Protestant as a kid, then was an anti-religious Atheist throughout my teens, then afterwards explored the whole gambit of eastern religion, mysticism and occultism after that. The more I explored the more I realized how my views as an Atheist were flawed. At some point many years ago I was profoundly affected reading the Qur'an (and as someone already literate with the Bible, Upanishads, Pali Canon etc) and had a complete transformation within myself. The intense hatred towards Muhammad coming from Christians and Atheists also led me into actually researching Muhammad's life from credible sources which made it impossible for me to not see Muhammad as the greatest man in history and most relevant Prophet to this irreligious time we are living in, at the same time as the only answer to the deeply flawed (to the roof) religion of Christianity.

But I've read it all and continue to. I'm a skeptic, a rationalist, a mystic, a Strong-Monotheist and activist against Nihilism. At the same time, i consider myself a radical-pacifist through the sphere of intellectual-necessity. Action is potentially evil without reason. As you may notice from some of my posts here, I am very much against belief-of-belief, of which the Qur'an itself so vehemently condemns. Knowledge is the path and blessing from God.

DesertRose

Superstar
Intriguing, I grew up a non-denominational Protestant as a kid, then was an anti-religious Atheist throughout my teens, then afterwards explored the whole gambit of eastern religion, mysticism
Much respect for that.
I looked into political theories from Marx to Ayn Rand for solutions to world issues.o_O
We were so much a part of worldly life that exploring other faiths was not my go to for truth-seeking nor for solving worldly problems.
Well I am glad you are on board and look forward to continually reading your insights.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
What religions have you practiced other than Christianity? (since you dropped into this thread, surely you want to answer the question)
You didn’t actually quote me ya know...lol! The quote should have been YIKES! :eek:

Yes, my jaw dropped when I read that you think mohammad is the greatest man in history ;)

I talked to a catholic priest once..was going to become a catholic..thank God that didn’t happen! Before that I couldn’t call myself a Christian but I thought Jesus was my friend..I went to a church a couple of times as a kid. It wasn’t till after I met my husband that I read the Bible a few times and I became a Christian, got baptized, studied God’s word, went to church.

Lisa

Superstar
btw..why do you think that muhammad is the greatest man in history?

You didn’t actually quote me ya know...lol! The quote should have been YIKES! :eek:

Yes, my jaw dropped when I read that you think mohammad is the greatest man in history ;)
And yet you call me disrespectful :rolleyes:

I talked to a catholic priest once..was going to become a catholic..thank God that didn’t happen! Before that I couldn’t call myself a Christian but I thought Jesus was my friend..I went to a church a couple of times as a kid. It wasn’t till after I met my husband that I read the Bible a few times and I became a Christian, got baptized, studied God’s word, went to church.
But you didn't explore Catholicism any further?

Your story sounds like one of simple convenience of situation.

Lisa

Superstar
And yet you call me disrespectful :rolleyes:

But you didn't explore Catholicism any further?

Your story sounds like one of simple convenience of situation.
I meant the YIKES! :eek:..surely you must know that muhammad wasn’t so wonderful...Aisha is only the beginning of the problems with this man. The other part was a play on you talking about my dropping into this thread.

No, I didn’t explore catholicism further until later and decided that God was good to me and got me away from a false religion to the truth. My mom’s side of the family is catholic. My mom wasn’t so devout outwardly and we never went to church. I thought it might have been because I think my dad was an atheist...but I don’t know for sure, he never said. So, there really is no reason for my thinking that Jesus was my friend or wanting to marry a Christian other than I really believe that God was watching over me and guiding me. I really could have gone any way, I had no guidance from any person as to wanting to become a Christian.

No, I didn’t explore catholicism further until later and decided that God was good to me and got me away from a false religion to the truth.
Hmm, so what are you now? Baptist? Evangelical? Mormon? Adventist? Jehovah's Witness? Calvinist? Lutheran?
I'm intrigued.

Lisa

Superstar
Hmm, so what are you now? Baptist? Evangelical? Mormon? Adventist? Jehovah's Witness? Calvinist? Lutheran?
I'm intrigued.
I’m a Christian! :)

Are you ignoring my question to you about muhammad? Surely you want to tell us why he is the greatest man in history?

I’m a Christian! :)
There is no form of Christianity simply known as "Christian", because of your opposition to the Catholic Church, you're clearly a Protestant of some kind. What type of Church do you attend?

Are you ignoring my question to you about muhammad? Surely you want to tell us why he is the greatest man in history?
I am talking to Lisa here, remember that, not someone genuinely interested. I'm not stupid you know.

Lisa

Superstar
There is no form of Christianity simply known as "Christian", because of your opposition to the Catholic Church, you're clearly a Protestant of some kind. What type of Church do you attend?

I am talking to Lisa here, remember that, not someone genuinely interested. I'm not stupid you know.
Isn’t there the Christian type of Christianity?

I am interested in why you think muhammad is the greatest man in history. Never said you were stupid.

What is the "lol"? you still haven't described what Christianity you follow. This comes as no surprise because I don't think you even know yourself, you just follow whatever takes your attention at any given moment. I don't suspect to be wrong about this.

Lisa

Superstar
What is the "lol"? you still haven't described what Christianity you follow. This comes as no surprise because I don't think you even know yourself, you just follow whatever takes your attention at any given moment. I don't suspect to be wrong about this.
I’ve been a Christian for many, many years. You still haven’t said why you think muhammad is the greatest man ever...