"What must I do to be saved?"

Vytas

Star
So as a non religious person who does not understand the whole born again principle, tell me, does praying to God change anything?

I once asked for Jesus to come in my life if he was real, but nothing happened.
lol Sounds like a dare

Vytas

Star
Yeah really funny but I was sincere when I asked..
When people approached Jesus with their pleas to heal heir loved ones conversation doesn't sounded like yours. Heal my kid and i will believe you. Can't think of single example. Rather whose who believed were healed. Jesus done his part, now first step is on us. We believe first, miracles happen later. And it wasn't funny, i was provoking you ;) Sorry :)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Yeah really funny but I was sincere when I asked..
The faith of Abraham and the faith of Thomas?

God wants us to have the faith of Abraham - “believe and you will see”.

God WILL meet us if we have the faith of Thomas - “if I see I will believe”

The truly amazing thing is that God will meet us where we are at. If you want to God to reveal himself to you but find yourself in a “Thomas” position, be honest with God and ask him to make himself known to you in a way that would convince you.

For Thomas it was seeing the wounds of the cross and putting his fingers in them. For you, @DevaWolf it is a private conversation between you and the maker you presently doubt. I will be praying for you.

TokiEl

Superstar
So as a non religious person who does not understand the whole born again principle, tell me, does praying to God change anything?

I once asked for Jesus to come in my life if he was real, but nothing happened. What is supposed to happen?

It did not make me believe. Neither did reading the bible.
Once might not cut it Wolf.

Jesus is not your personal butler you know.

DevaWolf

Veteran
Once might not cut it Wolf.

Jesus is not your personal butler you know.
If your kind of attitude stands for the compassion and love of christians as they say they have it does not really make joining in sound more attractive. :rolleyes:

Once might not cut it, but why believe something without evidence?

Reading the replies here I should have faith before I pray, therefore without knowing about God I should still believe he is there? It just doesn't work like that for me.

DevaWolf

Veteran
The faith of Abraham and the faith of Thomas?

God wants us to have the faith of Abraham - “believe and you will see”.

God WILL meet us if we have the faith of Thomas - “if I see I will believe”

The truly amazing thing is that God will meet us where we are at. If you want to God to reveal himself to you but find yourself in a “Thomas” position, be honest with God and ask him to make himself known to you in a way that would convince you.

For Thomas it was seeing the wounds of the cross and putting his fingers in them. For you, @DevaWolf it is a private conversation between you and the maker you presently doubt. I will be praying for you.
Thanks, your reply is more like the kind of Christians I know. So you say if I persist, something should happen according to these verses?

I can try that. I am legitimately curious.

TokiEl

Superstar
If your kind of attitude stands for the compassion and love of christians as they say they have it does not really make joining in sound more attractive. :rolleyes:
I just stated the fact that Jesus is not your personal butler. That's not me being mean but truthful.

Once might not cut it, but why believe something without evidence?
Persistency ! But keep in mind that God might not answer insincerity.

Reading the replies here I should have faith before I pray, therefore without knowing about God I should still believe he is there? It just doesn't work like that for me.
Persistent sincerity... keep praying.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Thanks, your reply is more like the kind of Christians I know. So you say if I persist, something should happen according to these verses?

I can try that. I am legitimately curious.
One of my favourite quotes on faith, doubt and reason:-

“...But I must think it is one or the other.'

[Reason]: 'By my father's soul, you must not - until you have some evidence. Can you not remain in doubt?'

[John]: 'I don't know that I have ever tried.'

[Reason]: 'You must learn to, if you are to come far with me. It is not hard to do it. In Eschropolis, indeed, it is impossible, for the people who live there have to give an opinion once a week or once a day, or else Mr. Mammon would soon cut off their food. But out here in the country you can walk all day and all the next day with an unanswered question in your head: you need never speak until you have made up your mind.”

C.S. Lewis, The Pilgrim's Regress

Lisa

Superstar

I once asked for Jesus to come in my life if he was real, but nothing happened. What is supposed to happen?

It did not make me believe. Neither did reading the bible.
What is it about being born again that you don’t understand? I will do my best to try to help you understand.

Ask God to help your unbelief and help you to believe, prayer’s not a bad thing.
You will have to repent of your sins to be saved, because that’s why Jesus died for us.
1repent
verbre·pent\ri-ˈpent\
intransitive verb
1 : to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
2 a : to feel regret or contrition
b : to change one's mind

The Bible tells us about God and it also tells us about sin and the way to salvation, so it’s good to read. How much of the Bible did you read?

Lisa

Superstar
"What must I do to be saved?"

boy, you guys make it so complicated.
go to the top tab at 'file' and select "save as".
you can select jesus or mohammed or whatever you like.
sheesh.
Actually you can’t select anyone but Jesus to be saved. “I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me.”
John 14:6

shankara

Star
Find a religion which resonates with you, practice it with sincerity and try to give up egoistic desires. By practice I mean engage in techniques, be that meditation, mantra or prayer. This is the most important thing, not adherence to any particular doctrine. Exercise discrimination and try to keep an independent mind because there's a lot of darkness which disguises itself as truth and light. Will this bring you to ultimate salvation in this very life? Probably not. But if you're sincere then you'll make progress.