What Keeps You Hanging On?

Tiny Leaf

Rookie
I'm finding that It's becoming more and more difficult for me everyday to avoid negativity; whether it be in the news, the social reaction to current affairs, health, responsibilities, conflicts between others due to finances, reading that one conspiracy too many, everything has this depressing black edge to it.

Finding an anchor can be extremely difficult, and I'm curious to know what you do in those sorts of situations.

I like to busy myself when I feel like the ground is starting to shake and everything is falling apart. Remembering God is something which I try and do on a consistent basis, but I feel sometimes I need to start writing, or going on a long walk. Doing tai chi or other forms of gentle exercises always helps me settle myself. Being able to focus on slow movement and on my breathing is soothing. Alot of people I know like to meditate.
Sometimes though when I find myself in busy, and in quite intimidating environments, I start to feel extremely overwhelmed. Without even knowing it, I end up pacing back and forth, reciting words of comfort/prayer in my head or under my breath over and over again until I am able to settle myself. Might look like a strange thing from another's perspective but it's something which I cannot help in those extreme circumstances which are rare fortunately.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

All the best,
Tiny Leaf ^__^

TMT

Star
I'm finding that It's becoming more and more difficult for me everyday to avoid negativity; whether it be in the news, the social reaction to current affairs, health, responsibilities, conflicts between others due to finances, reading that one conspiracy too many, everything has this depressing black edge to it.

Finding an anchor can be extremely difficult, and I'm curious to know what you do in those sorts of situations.

I like to busy myself when I feel like the ground is starting to shake and everything is falling apart. Remembering God is something which I try and do on a consistent basis, but I feel sometimes I need to start writing, or going on a long walk. Doing tai chi or other forms of gentle exercises always helps me settle myself. Being able to focus on slow movement and on my breathing is soothing. Alot of people I know like to meditate.
Sometimes though when I find myself in busy, and in quite intimidating environments, I start to feel extremely overwhelmed. Without even knowing it, I end up pacing back and forth, reciting words of comfort/prayer in my head or under my breath over and over again until I am able to settle myself. Might look like a strange thing from another's perspective but it's something which I cannot help in those extreme circumstances which are rare fortunately.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

All the best,
Tiny Leaf ^__^
Meditation,yoga, drinking and weed.

Aero

Superstar
Proactive coping, in reverse.

It means I try to figure out the future from clues in the past. Because if you can see the negativity before it gets to you, you have the power. And eventually it becomes like second nature.

What I'm saying is I can't predict a situation exact. But deep down I always seem to know what I'm walking into. And if I really couldn't handle it, I wouldn't be there.

EddieG305

Rookie
I've been going through the darkest times of my life these past few months. The thought of "ending the suffering" has crossed my mind a few times, but knowing myself, it's just a moment of weakness and I know I have the power to push through this difficult era. Well that and also [I'm a little embarrassed to admit this] I couldn't "off myself" without watching the final ten episodes of my favorite show. So I can honestly say that "Pretty Little Liars" [the TV show I'm obsessed with] has helped me power through the winter, and I look forward to watching the series finale this spring.
I'm still recovering from my struggle one day at a time.
No, the thought of suicide is no longer in my mind. I'm using my god given talent of waking up to work hard and get things done to make a positive change in my life. Although I am not a religious person, maybe going back to church would do some good. When I used to attend church, it did bring a lot of positivity to my life.
Some hobbies that get my vibes going in the right direction are reading a mystery novel, writing short stories, laying out at the beach, working out at the gym, going for long jogs on the mountains, taking myself out for dinner, listening to music, walking my neighbor's dog and anything else that allows me to enjoy being an introvert. Also, I've never been on a forum before. Being here on vigilantcitizenforums.com and sharing opinions and stories with you guys has been helping me uplift my mood lately. So thank you guys. I may be just "another person online sharing my opinions" on this site but this has positively impacted me.

Camidria

Veteran
I want to try "just not caring", but it's always short lived
When I surrender everything in my life into Yeshua's hands and I say, You are in control now, I can just relax, it is easy to not care at all, and things really do work out. As soon as I take my worries back and not rest in the fact that He is in control my heart starts to feel heavy again. He sorts things out for me and quickly!! :)

Distraction, ironically enough often by reading/watching more of this stuff. I can't put my head in the sand for very long. Also, soothing pretty pictures, and watching films and series, and looking out for anyone woke.
Somedays, sad-happy music helps. And of course my cat. I'm a real couch potato lately. I WISH I could say yoga, hiking, partying in this amazing city, hanging out with people... but it's a weird phase where I'm *mostly broke and therefore stay in a lot.

Last edited:

Haich

Superstar
This may sound dark but knowing that life is temporary and will one day end, it brings me a lot of comfort as I don't have to witness the atrocities of this world for eternity. Positivity is a skill you have to learn, not many are blessed with this trait and it all starts with accepting we're not always in control of what goes on around us.

In terms of our personal lives, accepting change and adjusting to new challenges in life is something that I've learnt helps with positive thinking. I had my first child a year ago with my husband and honestly it was the most difficult pregnancy and labour, even my mum said wow everything that could go wrong went wrong! However much I was struggling then, I can honestly say It doesn't compare to how much joy my baby brings me now and I'm so sure of myself as a person and feel ready to give him all that I can as a parent.

Life will push you to your limits but stay afloat and know one day you'll arrive and be the person you were gearing up to be. The point is, shackle up during turbulent times and stay strong, there's definitely something good around the corner!

Leviathan

Established
I spend a lot of time in my imagination. Whenever I don't like what's going on in reality I have my own fantasy world to retreat to. Whether that be from a movie or TV show or even my own crazy mind. Reality is a harsh place so I prefer a world of my own where no one else can go. I have it all to myself.