What is your #lifegoal?

EddieG305

Rookie
Despite the doom and gloom that surrounds our everyday life, what is it that you want the most out of your precious t i m e in this world? What are your aspirations? Are you on your journey to achieve these goals? Or have you already turned your dreams into reality?

I'll start this thread by sharing my [hashtag] lifegoals:

[backstory]

I moved from Santa Barbara to MIAMI after graduating from high school in 2010. I moved to help open the first H&M store in South Beach. Out of curiosity, I ended up taking a bartending course for fun. [Btw one day in class I ended up being casted as a background person for a show called "My Big Redneck Vacation" for Season 3 episode 1.] I was extremely fascinated with every aspect of bartending. I attempted to find work as a bartender in Miami, but unfortunately with no experience [and being male], it was intensely challenging to obtain a job.

Therefore, I moved back home to Santa Barbara and enrolled in college. There was a job fair at school one day, and I ended up easily landing a job as a poolside lounge bartender for a high end oceanfront hotel.

[my #lifegoal]

I've been bartending for over three years already and I am still in love with my profession [although some people might say that pouring drinks is not a real job.] I have a strong desire and determination to open my own Cocktail Lounge in the d i s t a n t future [since it takes a tremendous amount of capital $$$ to open up any sort of business.] In the meantime, I'm building up my knowledge in the craft cocktail industry, which is why I've decided to move to BROOKLYN next month. The borough is up and coming like never before, especially with craft cocktail bars opening up left and right. There are legendary mixologists, those such as Julie Reiner and Ivy Mix, and I would be very honored to even be able to pick at their brains. I know the BIG APPLE is an intimidating beast, but what better time to take on the city than now while I'm 25?

Why do I want to open my own cocktail lounge? Despite the current events and disasters that occur on a day to day basis, a lounge is a safe haven to take a b r e a k from reality for a brief moment and enjoy conversation with one another. A lounge creates a sentimental space that has the power to turn a bar into a second living room. A bartender creates an experience for incoming guests, they don't just make drinks. And as a Cancer [the zodiac sign], I am a hospitable person who sincerely becomes happy when my guests come to my home or establishment and leave happy.

That is my life goal. Now I want you folks to share your dreams and aspirations. You can summarize it in a few words or even write a story, allowing you to get into details.

*my #lifegoal ten years ago was to become an actor, but that quickly went down the drain.

Lisa

Superstar
Despite the doom and gloom that surrounds our everyday life, what is it that you want the most out of your precious t i m e in this world? What are your aspirations? Are you on your journey to achieve these goals? Or have you already turned your dreams into reality?

I'll start this thread by sharing my [hashtag] lifegoals:

[backstory]

I moved from Santa Barbara to MIAMI after graduating from high school in 2010. I moved to help open the first H&M store in South Beach. Out of curiosity, I ended up taking a bartending course for fun. [Btw one day in class I ended up being casted as a background person for a show called "My Big Redneck Vacation" for Season 3 episode 1.] I was extremely fascinated with every aspect of bartending. I attempted to find work as a bartender in Miami, but unfortunately with no experience [and being male], it was intensely challenging to obtain a job.

Therefore, I moved back home to Santa Barbara and enrolled in college. There was a job fair at school one day, and I ended up easily landing a job as a poolside lounge bartender for a high end oceanfront hotel.

[my #lifegoal]

I've been bartending for over three years already and I am still in love with my profession [although some people might say that pouring drinks is not a real job.] I have a strong desire and determination to open my own Cocktail Lounge in the d i s t a n t future [since it takes a tremendous amount of capital $$$ to open up any sort of business.] In the meantime, I'm building up my knowledge in the craft cocktail industry, which is why I've decided to move to BROOKLYN next month. The borough is up and coming like never before, especially with craft cocktail bars opening up left and right. There are legendary mixologists, those such as Julie Reiner and Ivy Mix, and I would be very honored to even be able to pick at their brains. I know the BIG APPLE is an intimidating beast, but what better time to take on the city than now while I'm 25?

Why do I want to open my own cocktail lounge? Despite the current events and disasters that occur on a day to day basis, a lounge is a safe haven to take a b r e a k from reality for a brief moment and enjoy conversation with one another. A lounge creates a sentimental space that has the power to turn a bar into a second living room. A bartender creates an experience for incoming guests, they don't just make drinks. And as a Cancer [the zodiac sign], I am a hospitable person who sincerely becomes happy when my guests come to my home or establishment and leave happy.

That is my life goal. Now I want you folks to share your dreams and aspirations. You can summarize it in a few words or even write a story, allowing you to get into details.

*my #lifegoal ten years ago was to become an actor, but that quickly went down the drain.
Do you ever feel bad about serving people alcohol? Just wondering.

Leviathan

Established
I'd like to create at least one piece of art (whether it be a short story/book, something to do with film/TV whether it be writing or acting, a painting, or something else) which lives on in someone's mind for at least 30 years. I'd like for something I do or am a part of to have some sort of significance. And for someone to say I inspire them and actually mean it. I definitely don't want to be world famous, but more of a cult phenomenon. I don't want everyone to know my name, but only the right people.

I need to quit making excuses and stop waiting for opportunities to fall in my lap, I know. But once you're used to a certain way I think it's hard to change. I believe I could do it someday, I just need to quit being in my own way.

Lisa

Superstar
I'd like to create at least one piece of art (whether it be a short story/book, something to do with film/TV whether it be writing or acting, a painting, or something else) which lives on in someone's mind for at least 30 years. I'd like for something I do or am a part of to have some sort of significance. And for someone to say I inspire them and actually mean it. I definitely don't want to be world famous, but more of a cult phenomenon. I don't want everyone to know my name, but only the right people.

I need to quit making excuses and stop waiting for opportunities to fall in my lap, I know. But once you're used to a certain way I think it's hard to change. I believe I could do it someday, I just need to quit being in my own way.
Sometimes that's the trick....getting out of your own way...hope you find a way to do the things you would like to do. :)

EddieG305

Rookie
Do you ever feel bad about serving people alcohol? Just wondering.
The only one time I felt bad serving somebody alcohol was when I first started working as a bartender. I served a nice older lady a couple glasses of wine. She seemed happy and normal until her kids came to the bar and yelled at her for relapsing. Apparently she was an alcoholic. There was no way I could've known that and to this day it is a little ethically challenging when it comes to serving people drinks. But this problem [which now I use my best judgement to address] only occurs every once in a blue moon. For the most part, patrons enjoy coming to cocktail lounges to relax, have a few cocktails, enjoy each other's company, whereas working at a nightclub might be a whole different messy scenario.

Lisa

Superstar
The only one time I felt bad serving somebody alcohol was when I first started working as a bartender. I served a nice older lady a couple glasses of wine. She seemed happy and normal until her kids came to the bar and yelled at her for relapsing. Apparently she was an alcoholic. There was no way I could've known that and to this day it is a little ethically challenging when it comes to serving people drinks. But this problem [which now I use my best judgement to address] only occurs every once in a blue moon. For the most part, patrons enjoy coming to cocktail lounges to relax, have a few cocktails, enjoy each other's company, whereas working at a nightclub might be a whole different messy scenario.
I would think it is very ethically challenging, because you don't know people's backgrounds and alcoholism is no joke-its horrible for all involved!

JoChris

Superstar
Eddie305, you sound quite similar to my baby brother. He's been both a bartender in nightclubs and a barista in an inner city cafe. A while back sister my said he was considering getting his own place to manage one day but I haven't heard any more about that since then.

As for me, I tried having life goals and different career paths and each time they failed for different reasons. I have had to accept "only" being a housewife and mother. I have to trust God that He's put me where He wants me. According to traditional Christian teachings I am doing OK and I have to remind myself of that on a regular basis.

Lisa

Superstar
Eddie305, you sound quite similar to my baby brother. He's been both a bartender in nightclubs and a barista in an inner city cafe. A while back sister my said he was considering getting his own place to manage one day but I haven't heard any more about that since then.

As for me, I tried having life goals and different career paths and each time they failed for different reasons. I have had to accept "only" being a housewife and mother. I have to trust God that He's put me where He wants me. According to traditional Christian teachings I am doing OK and I have to remind myself of that on a regular basis.
Only being a mom isn't so bad, I really enjoyed the time with my kids :)

JoChris

Superstar
Only being a mom isn't so bad, I really enjoyed the time with my kids :)
It certainly has its good times but the toddler stage - so glad when that was over!!!!
I still feel a bit lost at the moment because my first son moved away a month ago for University. When my other son leaves home one day I'll only have hubby and two over attached whippets to mollycoddle.

Lisa

Superstar
It certainly has its good times but the toddler stage - so glad when that was over!!!!
I still feel a bit lost at the moment because my first son moved away a month ago for University. When my other son leaves home one day I'll only have hubby and two over attached whippets to mollycoddle.
Do you have an adult son and a toddler? That's quite the age gap! I miss the toddler stage, I loved most stages but the challenging teen stage.

Ya the empty nest is hard to get used to.

EddieG305

Rookie
You are very blessed to have raised kids, @JoChris! Much power to you. I can only scarcely fathom what that must have been like. I know many people who's life goals are to have a family. Much respect to you for doing a good job, I'm assuming so because you mentioned your son is off to college. Here's to hoping that he lands a profitable job so he can purchase luxuries for you haha!

JoChris

Superstar
Do you have an adult son and a toddler? That's quite the age gap! I miss the toddler stage, I loved most stages but the challenging teen stage.

Ya the empty nest is hard to get used to.
Oh no! My older son is 19, younger 16.
My older son is in second year of Uni, did first year online. Because of limited subject options for that online degree and his hard work last year we decided to tighten our belts and he's now in the closest capital city's University. He is over 600 kms away from us.

Thunderian

Superstar
To crush my enemies -- See them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

No wait, that can't be it ...

I want to enjoy my family and my church until the Lord comes, being of some use to his plan and have something eternally lasting to show him when we meet face to face. I am still working on all those things. Nothing else really matters.

JoChris

Superstar
You are very blessed to have raised kids, @JoChris! Much power to you. I can only scarcely fathom what that must have been like. I know many people who's life goals are to have a family. Much respect to you for doing a good job, I'm assuming so because you mentioned your son is off to college. Here's to hoping that he lands a profitable job so he can purchase luxuries for you haha!
Thanks for your encouragement.
If he does get far in Business Management he'll certainly be earning a bit of money....