What is the Difference Between Sunni and Shia?

Etagloc

Superstar
The million-dollar question everyone wishes to know

what is the difference between Sunni and Shia??? :eek::eek:o_Oo_O:cool::mad::(;):mad::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:cool::eek:

(I do have an answer but I would like to leave it open for discussion- I'll say my thoughts if anyone wants to know)

Kung Fu

Superstar
The Sunni believe that the rightful caliph, the leader of the Islamic world, should be a person that is right for the job and who gets voted in by a council of intelligent people who actually know how things work. The Shia are people who believe that the caliph should be someone from Muhammad's(pbuh) line like how the son of a king is usually the next in line no questions asked.

At the time of the Sunni-Shia split the majority of the Muslims believed Abu Bakr was the best person for the job after Muhammad(pbuh) passed away while some thought that Ali, Muhammad's(pbuh) cousin, should have been the caliph. Also, Ali and Abu Bakr held no animosity towards one another but actually worked together peacefully while Abu Bakr was the caliph. Ali, eventually did become the caliph because at that time he was the one that was RIGHT for the job.

Haich

Superstar
IMG_4996.JPG IMG_4997.JPG

One ridiculous aspect of Shia Islam is precisely this- Tatbir. They mutilate themselves in order to remember or experience the death of the prophet's grandson, who was killed along with his family and companions. There's absolutely no literature to support such a barbaric act and yet t is practiced amongst their community.

Shias also pray entirely different to mainstream Muslims and don't adhere to the abscribed prayers in their entirety. When standing they don't place their hands on their chest, they place a stone in front of them during salat and they don't end the prayer in the manner it's supposed to be concluded. They hold up the stone and say a few phrases- I mean the prayers are already explained in the sunnah so what's with the deviation?

IMG_4998.JPG
Notice the small stones in front of these people at this congregational prayer

I mean the differences are so vast and I don't think it's even ok to say sunnis and Shias practice Islam the same, the differences are too stark to be ignored.

Haich

Superstar
Word on the street is, Shias killed Hassan (prophet's grandson) and many see it ironic that they mourn his death and try to emulate his pain as a means of releasing the guilt they carry.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to really expand on this, I'll wait for the forum's scripture expert, AspiringSoul, to comment.

The Ali and Abu Bakr controversy on it's own would not have led to a theological difference where they become a different sect. Back then, it was a difference of opinion. The real controversies began after Usman, the third caliph was assassinated.
The khwarijites were responsible, but it led to conflicts and accusations on both sides and this later led to the assassination of Ali, again by khwarijite. You had Ummayad rule and then Abbasid rule. During that time, hadiths were compiled by the abbasid's that in various ways served their political interests...so even the hadith of the Mahdi with the carriers of the black flag from Khorosan was constructed as a part mix of persian/zoroastrian prophecies and of course we know the Abbasids ruled from Persia, had the black flags etc. Just like the hadith of Aisha's age were an abbasid attempt to present her as a noble child virgin and therefore answer the shia attacks against her.
The theological differences come about because the sunni's had their own imams and the shia's had their own.

Also, it's important to know that shia/sunni have existed for a long time together in peace and it's only in recent times it's turned to widespread bloodshed. Also, most shias today, the way they curse at Abu Bakr, Umar and Aisha to me suggests they have no faith whatsoever. I've never seen a sunni ever curse at any of the sahaba in that way.
Also what we see today, is barely even islam anymore.

@Haich the slight differences in the way we place our hands during salat, is a matter of opinion and ive never seen any credible sunni attack the way they pray salat. also the stone they place on the mat is not about shirk incase you think it is that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbah

However, the major problem I have with the shia's is that their belief is basically to literally suck dick of anyone who is a bloodline syed. They may aswell convert to judaism in that case because islam is not a religion that preaches supremacy of one bloodline.
unfortunately the worst creatures in the muslim world are the same people who descend from Mohammad SAW through Fatima and Ali...
I have spent a lot of years observing shit...
it's funny, i believe in islam on it's own merits and in the prophet SAW because I know he rejected the idea of bloodline supremacy..he even said in one hadith
".....Then will come a test which is pleasant. Its murkiness is due to the fact that it is produced by a man from the people of my house, who will assert that he belongs to me, whereas he does not, for my friends are only the God-fearing."

Also i need to add, salafis/wahabis are classed as sunnis but they are a different breed to the mainstream majority of sunnis who adhere to sufi beliefs. Even the deobandis who are more right wing and salafi-esque in many ways..believe in the sufi tariqas.
The sufi's also.... :):):) suck the dick of THE bloodline...and that's probably why i cannot be bothered following any sufi.
if you look at the sunni/sufi types today like Sheikh Yaqoobi, Sheikh Ninowy, Tahir ul Qadri and thousands of more, they are effectively running a scam where they externally present the love for prophet SAW but it is in effect about making you love THE bloodline and thus, suck their dicks for all eternity.
I've gotten into a lot of trouble before for disrespecting these fellas...but i firmly believe what i say is true. I've spent hours and hours listening to their lectures and i've met them all in person, (they travel about $$$££££s).

Back when i felt very strongly about all of this..i was vindicated by the fact Jesus AS himself very specifically called out the pharisees, their bloodline superiority ideas. He was basically saying everything i wanted to say to the absolute bloodline cockfest the sufi/shia circles have turned into.
btw my colourful language is 1000% appropriate. these people do a lot of evil to their followers. when females are raped by one of them, they don't exactly make it an open topic because you know, honour matters. I'm kind of in the know because i walked those circles and knew so many stories which i'd discuss with my imam in private. I used to appeal to this guys sanity and tell him to quit those circles but he did not listen, whenhe discovered too much info after i'd completely cut ties with him, he got excommunicated by the bloodline. it's kind of like capitalism vs communism, where both sides are controlled by one bloodline and the only people who seem to be against them all happen to be facist
sunni-sufi, shia..and wahabi.

Etagloc

Superstar
The Sunni believe that the rightful caliph, the leader of the Islamic world, should be a person that is right for the job and who gets voted in by a council of intelligent people who actually know how things work. The Shia are people who believe that the caliph should be someone from Muhammad's(pbuh) line like how the son of a king is usually the next in line no questions asked.

At the time of the Sunni-Shia split the majority of the Muslims believed Abu Bakr was the best person for the job after Muhammad(pbuh) passed away while some thought that Ali, Muhammad's(pbuh) cousin, should have been the caliph. Also, Ali and Abu Bakr held no animosity towards one another but actually worked together peacefully while Abu Bakr was the caliph. Ali, eventually did become the caliph because at that time he was the one that was RIGHT for the job.
That is an interesting.

Yes I don't think it should be based on one's cousinhood.

Etagloc

Superstar
View attachment 2234 View attachment 2235

One ridiculous aspect of Shia Islam is precisely this- Tatbir. They mutilate themselves in order to remember or experience the death of the prophet's grandson, who was killed along with his family and companions. There's absolutely no literature to support such a barbaric act and yet t is practiced amongst their community.

Shias also pray entirely different to mainstream Muslims and don't adhere to the abscribed prayers in their entirety. When standing they don't place their hands on their chest, they place a stone in front of them during salat and they don't end the prayer in the manner it's supposed to be concluded. They hold up the stone and say a few phrases- I mean the prayers are already explained in the sunnah so what's with the deviation?

View attachment 2236
Notice the small stones in front of these people at this congregational prayer

I mean the differences are so vast and I don't think it's even ok to say sunnis and Shias practice Islam the same, the differences are too stark to be ignored.
What is the stone about??????????????

Is the stone magic?

Haich

Superstar
Lol no, it's just a stone. It's supposed to be like praying on the soil of the Earth.
Well you can't dismiss it as 'just a stone'. Prayer is incredibly important and to deviate from the original way the prophet prayed (without a stone) is problematic.

mecca

Superstar
Well you can't dismiss it as 'just a stone'. Prayer is incredibly important and to deviate from the original way the prophet prayed (without a stone) is problematic.
It's a prayer stone but it's still simply a rock and not magical or anything. I don't think it's an issue to pray with one, I'm pretty sure the reason people use them is to be more like the prophet because he prayed directly on the Earth's ground. And I think that Allah cares more about the actual prayer rather than if someone uses a stone or not.

DesertRose

Superstar
There are different branches of shi'ah some are still within the fold and others are not.
The mildest which are acceptable as Muslims say Ali was better than abu bakr, uthman and Umar the earliest Caliphs. (this is wrong but they have not innovated in worship.)
The other ones innovate in worship (check Haich's pics) commit shirk(associating a partner to God) by worshiping Ali (and family) and go to the length of saying that their imams are better than the angels and the prophets.

Last edited:

manama

Star
It's a prayer stone but it's still simply a rock and not magical or anything. I don't think it's an issue to pray with one, I'm pretty sure the reason people use them is to be more like the prophet because he prayed directly on the Earth's ground. And I think that Allah cares more about the actual prayer rather than if someone uses a stone or not.
except stone or sand from karbala is usually used so these people can feel as if they are praying directly in karbala, or specifically the place where the prophet's grandson died etc Its not shirk, but its weird lol I can't go to Makkah and take some sand from the outskirts and then pretend that im praying in the Grand Mosque. A jew can't pick up a stone for jerusalem and then move to canada and by placing the stone infront of them, pretend that they are in jerusalem. If anything, it looks like a very weird delusion or obsession.