What is spirituality?

Imho
Being Spiritual doesn't happens (and won't happen) automatically. Not even the reason and intellect of a human mind or brain is able to realise anything Spiritual (that it may probably make way in daily words/actions, no!).

An Individual human being ought to, got to, transcend their individual mind/reason/intellect. Whence that is achieved, is the tapping of real Spirituality that will supposedly seep into words/actions shall come to pass. Akin to dieing before death.

To transcend mind/reason/intellect, human being, individually, has to practice slow and gradual shut down of the all outward-ness, then shut down five senses, then hopefully mind will supposedly shut down too (but this mind shut down might take a fairly good amount of time depending upon how involved that individual human being has been with the matrix/existence/outward-ness all their life, yet), then keep where at & do nothing and Infinity delivers!

One of the answers on 'how to do/achive all this above-mentioned' is via TM.

Edit(Add):- But the problem doesn't stops there. Once and IFF all this above is achieved, then the same mind and intellect (when the senses are opened back again and human being comes back to the matrix/existence, engages in the matrix/existence then), that didn't understood at all 'what just happened?' will slowly usher in Cognitive Dissonance. Lol.
The same mind and intellect will now wage a war with that individual human being and will tell him/her that "what you just felt is BS!" "there's nothing greater than me and nothing greater than all the pleasures that I have, I do and I can deliver to you" "don't you dare tell me any 'entity' is stronger or greater than me(i.e. human mind/intellect)". Hence the Cognitive Dissonance phase. And that Human Being individual ends up fighting with his/her own self. Can't share with any other person too that 2 voices inside are at war with each other. Afterall, most of those 'others' either family or friends are jacked in (via their respective minds/intellects) to the same fictional matrix/existence (i.e. everything but TheSource of the Universe). Those 'others' haven't yet seen the more deeper truth and reality.

Edit(Add_further):-
Thus, IMHO, I would say that the human mind/intellect is the Satan or KingdomOfSatan or Lucifer or LightBearer yada yada.

Whereas, the feeling, the entity, the experience, the Spiritual, TheInfinite, THEReallyRealOne, that was just one step deeper than the mind/intellect is TheSOURCE, TheLight(not bearer).

LightBearer is real egotistical.
Whereas TheLight is silently observing.
Astonishingly close they are, yet so very separate, no intermingling by any means. Hence, LightBearer has always and will always remain egotistical.
Sour grapes, eh LightBearer/Lucifer/HumanMind/Intellect?

Last edited:

FilthPig

Veteran
The same mind and intellect will now wage a war with that individual human being and will tell him/her that "what you just felt is BS!"
Oh i know this from first hand experience - i have had many out of body experiences through meditation but good luck if u try to talk someone about it . Might as well tell them u got kidnapped by UFO's or that u are the second coming - they will think u are nuts either way. I did my first astral projection 17 years ago ,havent really managed to discuss it with anyone ever since.And thats one of my more believable experiences .
So after so many years it has kinda turned into a "secret" that i dont share with people and it sucks.Tired of living in their nonsense "make-belief" reality where everybody seems to be believing whatever is convenient or trending at the moment while on deeper level they dont believe in nothing.
Their spiritual soul is in sleep while their materialistic mind is like a duracell bunny.They need to try some quietude and solitude for a change,as u mentioned - turn off the sensors to the outside world and start experiencing your inside one.

Oh i know this from first hand experience - i have had many out of body experiences through meditation but good luck if u try to talk someone about it . Might as well tell them u got kidnapped by UFO's or that u are the second coming - they will think u are nuts either way. I did my first astral projection 17 years ago ,havent really managed to discuss it with anyone ever since.And thats one of my more believable experiences .
So after so many years it has kinda turned into a "secret" that i dont share with people and it sucks.Tired of living in their nonsense "make-belief" reality where everybody seems to be believing whatever is convenient or trending at the moment while on deeper level they dont believe in nothing.
Their spiritual soul is in sleep while their materialistic mind is like a duracell bunny.They need to try some quietude and solitude for a change,as u mentioned - turn off the sensors to the outside world and start experiencing your inside one.
Sir! Glad to found one who'd relate. Cheers!

#YouAreNotAlone

Eventually, she reached a milestone in her thinking when she realised there was a God, and it wasn’t her!

Totally agree.

When 'water' is kept in 'a pot'. The pot stays pot and the water stays water.

The pot would never become the 'water' itself, even if water is kept inside the pot like forEVER.

Human body (pot) ever so slowly grows using universal dust ('food' in this instance, food is made out of universal dust only if one really breaks it down to the last mile), hence upon conclusion the body will merge back to the universal dust.

Imo
What was/is inside the alive human body was/is the real nonfictional. Deepest most Absolute Truth.

(Another anology)

The 'battery' inside the toy is making the toy work/move. Without the 'battery', the toy won't work.

And, the battery =/= the toy.

The toy is toy.
The battery is battery.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I read this on the wall of a cafe today, taken from the writings of Lewis Carrol…

412E51EE-6C96-4AA7-B3F3-FC1400699984.jpeg

I think this captures the “broad way” of “spirituality” rather incisively.

Alanantic

Star
"Do not pay undue attention to the passing scenes of life. You are the immortal self (consciousness) living only temporarily in a dream that is sometimes (imagined) to be a nightmare. That is the higher philosophy (and truth) of the mystics." -- Yogananda

Petchy

Spirituality is knowing and accepting every aspect of yourself as it is expressed throughout every aspect of “reality”. Understanding you are infinite absolution of self or in Alan Watts words; “the universe experiencing itself”

the religious push and new age spirituality reduces the idea of knowing and instead replaces it with goal achieving, seeking goals to fulfill a desire. The trick of most religions including buddism is to create a circumstance for the individual to discover their is no achievement. To put it lightly enlightenment is being pushed by new age aswell as freemason imbedded individuals such as Russell Brand in order to make the individual feel as though they are not yer enlightened and even then the term enlightened is questionable as it has links to the mourningstar fallen angel that is to be the free masons idea of lucifer whomst of which is projected and used in freemasonry after the you are indoctrinated till the 33rd degree where the belief of freemasonry switches from basic christianity to lucifarianism utilising the third eye as a possession point this done through ritual and in my opinion if the complexity of our universe is true and the ancient texts are absolute then the link is not satan but rather reptillian in nature as the reptillians have been described as able to use dimensions such as the 4th dimension and through ritual (summoning) they are able to embed themselves into the mind of the unaware individual, reptillians known for sharing capabilities of satan being transformation, strength and wit, skin similarities and the ancient texts depicting them fueling christianity and many species who hold high intellgence but do not share the same empathy as humans may portray themselves to be gods throughout time (although an illusion) they have been depicted in many carvings and physical beings discovered and finally covered up in order to maintain the illusions being projected to the masses. Anyway the complexity of spirituality is deeper than a simple read and the discoveries by connecting information through deep research will uncover a conclusion of the reality we delve in to be under mass control unfortunately not just human control, this in turn can cause fear however the deeper roots to spirituality is accepting and loving the darkest parts of ourselves and since we are an infinite consciousness of expansion accepting and forgiving this trauma being placed upon us will allow a sense of freedom and love that canbe felt deep within, i plead you to dig deep into the complexities and expand your knowledge on your own as someone typing information and it being read does not assist in your own journey, each individual is capable of knowing as even buddha which means awake, discussed that anyone could be buddha in an instant. Remember this reality is the YOUniverse experiencing itself

id also suggest listening to Alan watts as he confirms he is not pushing an agenda or any religious belief or for that matter a belief on you but rather discussing his knowledge for what it is. The New age spirituality i have found to lack fundamental understandings of self

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@Petchy

From Alan Watts writings

Chapter 2 – You Are God-Like (Taken From The Book ‘Live This Life’).

“It is a well-established fact in all the major religions of the world that God gave everyone free will. The only reason the Creator did so was to give you complete control over your thinking. Why? – To allow us to be Creators too, to be the designers of our destiny and the architects of how we choose to live our life and that proof exists in the Bible.
In the Gospels of the New Testament Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven exists in each and everyone of us, and that God made us all in his image. If this were true, why then would God, who created you in his image, produce a flawed copy? The fact is he didn’t. You are perfect in every way and all the power, resources and energy of the universe is universally available to you as it is to God himself – and you have to work very hard to screw that up!
In the Gospel of Thomas, one of the Gnostic Gospels that was found in a cave in Nag Hammadi, the Disciple Thomas states that Jesus said: “If those who lead you say to you, ‘See, the kingdom [of heaven] is in the sky,’ then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom [of heaven] is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty, and it is you who are that poverty.”
What this means is that heaven, and all of its wonder, isn’t to be found anywhere outside of you. It exists inside of you, but to access it you need to know yourself and realise that you are God-like. You are the creator of your world.”

^
I found the above very illuminating as by this definition, Satan encourages spirituality but strongly discourages repentance and redemption. Don’t let Alan or anyone else cheat you out of eternal life.

A Freeman

Superstar
Imho
Being Spiritual doesn't happens (and won't happen) automatically. Not even the reason and intellect of a human mind or brain is able to realise anything Spiritual (that it may probably make way in daily words/actions, no!).

An Individual human being ought to, got to, transcend their individual mind/reason/intellect. Whence that is achieved, is the tapping of real Spirituality that will supposedly seep into words/actions shall come to pass. Akin to dieing before death.

To transcend mind/reason/intellect, human being, individually, has to practice slow and gradual shut down of the all outward-ness, then shut down five senses, then hopefully mind will supposedly shut down too (but this mind shut down might take a fairly good amount of time depending upon how involved that individual human being has been with the matrix/existence/outward-ness all their life, yet), then keep where at & do nothing and Infinity delivers!

One of the answers on 'how to do/achive all this above-mentioned' is via TM.

Edit(Add):- But the problem doesn't stops there. Once and IFF all this above is achieved, then the same mind and intellect (when the senses are opened back again and human being comes back to the matrix/existence, engages in the matrix/existence then), that didn't understood at all 'what just happened?' will slowly usher in Cognitive Dissonance. Lol.
The same mind and intellect will now wage a war with that individual human being and will tell him/her that "what you just felt is BS!" "there's nothing greater than me and nothing greater than all the pleasures that I have, I do and I can deliver to you" "don't you dare tell me any 'entity' is stronger or greater than me(i.e. human mind/intellect)". Hence the Cognitive Dissonance phase. And that Human Being individual ends up fighting with his/her own self. Can't share with any other person too that 2 voices inside are at war with each other. Afterall, most of those 'others' either family or friends are jacked in (via their respective minds/intellects) to the same fictional matrix/existence (i.e. everything but TheSource of the Universe). Those 'others' haven't yet seen the more deeper truth and reality.

Edit(Add_further):-
Thus, IMHO, I would say that the human mind/intellect is the Satan or KingdomOfSatan or Lucifer or LightBearer yada yada.

Whereas, the feeling, the entity, the experience, the Spiritual, TheInfinite, THEReallyRealOne, that was just one step deeper than the mind/intellect is TheSOURCE, TheLight(not bearer).

LightBearer is real egotistical.
Whereas TheLight is silently observing.
Astonishingly close they are, yet so very separate, no intermingling by any means. Hence, LightBearer has always and will always remain egotistical.
Sour grapes, eh LightBearer/Lucifer/HumanMind/Intellect?
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.

It is exactly by shutting down the human senses, and learning to clear one's mind that true spiritual converse with our Creator becomes possible (BE STILL and KNOW that I am God -- Ps. 46:10). This can be done at first by seeking some private place, sitting or laying down comfortably, and then clearing the mind of all thought. Eventually, with enough practice, this can be done in a crowded room or in any condition, as the mind becomes the private place.

This is the essence of true, spiritual converse (prayer), and it is something that can NEVER be achieved through the broad path of organized religion.

Alanantic

Star
The New age spirituality i have found to lack fundamental understandings of self
I've found just the opposite. They have embraced Eastern thought. While the Western ideologies have yet to begin to understand the Self within.

Useful slideshow:

Spirituality in Grief
Glen R. Horst
  • Spirituality Spirituality is the dynamic dimension of human life that relates to the way persons (individual and community) experience, express and/or seek meaning, purpose and transcendence, and the way they connect to the moment, to self, to others, to nature, to the significant and/or the sacred. EAPC taskforce on Spiritual Care in Palliative Care
  • Voices of the bereaved“It’s so hard to go on. I have great faith in God, but just can’t seem to move forward.” • “Are my family members happy and content after death?” • “Why???? Why did this happen?” • “It’s adjusting to life on my own that I find the hardest.” • “I feel like I am going crazy, talking to him when no one is around.”
  • More voices of the bereaved “The tears won't stop, I'm not sure what to do, and can't sleep. Then again sometimes that's all I want to do, is stay in bed and not move.” • “I have a huge hole in my heart.” • “My soul hurts beyond words.” • “We have to create a new normal on a daily basis.” • “Oh, the anger. It is like a poison.” • “People say ‘he knows, he sees.’ Really? I wish I could see or feel him here.”
  • And more voices. . . : “I felt so guilty about leaving her [after midnight; she died the next morning]. She said, ‘Don’t go; I’m afraid.’” • “I’m fighting my own demons. She wouldn’t have had all those panic attacks towards the end if I had taken that neck brace off in the hospital [after her fall]. That was where it all started.”
  • Helpful Concepts (Attig): Soul: “home-seeking” aspect (force, drive) of our self • Seeks nurture, connection, and grounding in the familiar. • Offers care, love, compassion in return • Spirit: “meaning-seeking” aspect of our self • Reaches beyond the known for meaning in the new • Strives to overcome adversity and to understand • Characterized by faith, hope, and courage • Ego: sense of being a separate self that is in control (This is “me”) • Defends against threats to self-image, self-confidence, and self-esteem
  • Grief Reaction: Pain of Separation • all-encompassing suffering that involves emotions, thoughts, body, and relationships • triggered by reminders of separation: things, places, events, other people, aspects of our self • Brokenness: sense of self; daily life pattern; life story; web of meaning • Ego in crisis: cannot prevent bad things • Soul in crisis: uprooted, homesick, longing • Spirit in crisis: fearful, discouraged, lethargic, loss of faith
  • Spiritual Confidence Shaken • Has God abandoned us? Is God punishing us? • Do illness and death happen randomly? Is the world out of control? • Where do we fit in the greater scheme of things? Where do we belong? • Is there any point to going on day to day, caring, pursuing purposes, hoping?
  • Grief Response: Relearning the World, Our Selves, and Relationships with the Deceased • Ego work: begin again to solve everyday problems • Soul work: reconnect with the familiar to make ourselves at home in the world again and in its surrounding Mystery • Spirit work: reweave web of daily life, joining new threads to familiar; entering unknown with courage, hope, and faith; stretching into new chapters of our life story to find and make fresh meanings • Relationship with deceased: shift attention from pain of separation to loving in separation
“When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth
you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”
(Gibran)​
  • Loving in Separation Pain of Appreciation ------> separation and gratitude • Cherishing those we love by remembering their legacies: • Practical legacies: e.g. material goods, biological inheritances, advice and counsel, interests • Soulful legacies: roots in individual, family and community traditions; ways of caring and loving. • Spiritual legacies: ways of changing and growing, overcoming adversity (including sorrow), and searching for understanding and meaning.
  • Relearning Spiritual Place in the World: Adjustment of Beliefs May Be Required • Beliefs about: • the nature of the world (e.g. secure vs. threatening; orderly vs. chaotic; just vs. unfair) • the (possibly divine) forces that operate within it • the meaning of life, death, and suffering • To find plausible answers or better tolerate living without answers: • May deepen religious faith or secular convictions • May change faith or convictions
  • Sorrow-friendly practices • Dwelling with sorrows is a choice • Meditation • Sharing and exploring sorrow with another • Ritual/ceremony • Experiencing or creating works of art • Catching and engaging dream images • Attending to sorrow in your body and to breath • Leaning into a faith • Opening heart in prayer • Keeping a grief journal • Seeking meaning in after-death encounters
  • Mindfulness and Grief (Jon Kabat-Zinn) • Learning: • Moment-to-moment awareness (thoughts, feelings, sensations) • Focusing on your breath, taking each moment as it comes • Working with all your reactions • Accepting yourself as you are – no judgment or rejection of experience as undesirable
  • Your Emotional Pain (Suffering) is not you • Open up consciously to your suffering • Observe it; be curious • Thoughts and feelings coming and going • Reliving what happened or a particular moment • What could you have done differently? • Blaming yourself or someone else • What will happen next? • What will become of you? • Intentional knowing of emotional suffering contains seeds of healing • Part of you that can know your feelings has an independent perspective – participant rather than victim
  • Shift your perspective • Acceptance of present as it is • Natural tendencies: • Non-acceptance, rejection of what has happened (things as they are) • Deny or avoid painful feelings • Become lost in painful feelings • Mindfulness = seeing what is transpiring from moment to moment • A compassionate intelligence that takes it all in • A source of peace within the turmoil (cf. Mother who is source of compassion, peace, and perspective for upset child)
  • Times of great emotional upheaval and turmoil. . .are times when we most need to know that the core of our being is stable and resilient and that we can weather these moments and become more human in the process. (Full Catastrophe Living)
  • From Grief to Compassion (Joan Halifax) • Grieving can lead beyond our separate stories to an awareness that we are related to a greater whole and that our true home is in the infinite Our awakening can begin to happen when we’re finally drawn through the tight knot of suffering into the world of suffering around us
  • Community of Sorrow • Sorrow of our losses feeds into an underground river running beneath our lives • Grief individual, intimate, private • Initially sorrow feels like it is “my river” – no one else has ever felt this pain - alone • Grief collective, communal • Eventually discover river runs beneath all human life • We are bonded to each other in our sorrows • Compassion: feeling and interacting with each other’s suffering • Story of Ubbiri
  • Grieving – a Crucible of Maturation • Slow work of swimming through pain and longing • Initially, whole being seizes up with fear and suffering – then something settles deep in our bones that gives us strength • Nobody can tell you how to do it or do it for you • You have to learn to swim in the “black, rushing waters of sorrow” and pull yourself to the other shore • Others can accompany, guide, encourage
  • Summary • Grieving begins in losses over which we have no control (Grief reaction) • Need to be attentive to our reactions and patient with ourselves– no judgment, no right way • Mindfulness and sorrow-friendly practices • Grief work is active and involves choices (Grief response) • Soul work • Spirit work • Loving in separation • Compassion

(source)

Alanantic

Star
Religion Vs Spirituality-Difference
Religion is Accepting Authority, Spirituality is Freedom of Choice
Religion is Obedience, Spirituality is Questioning
Religion is Blind Faith, Spirituality is Rationalism
Religion is for Close Minded, Spirituality is for Open Minded
Religion is Organized Belief, Spirituality is Logical Conclusions
Religions follow Designated Gods, Spirituality need not
Religion has strict codes, Spirituality has self made codes
Religion Forces people, Spirituality is self Discipline
Religion has Group Identity, Spirituality is Individuality

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Religion Vs Spirituality-Difference
“For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself then he has naught
Not to say the things that he truly feels
And not the words of someone who kneels
Let the record shows I took all the blows and did it my way”
Frank Sinatra

“There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it.
C.S. Lewis

Alanantic

Star
“For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself then he has naught
Not to say the things that he truly feels
And not the words of someone who kneels
Let the record shows I took all the blows and did it my way”
Frank Sinatra

“There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it.
C.S. Lewis
Hell is all in the mind.

Wigi

Veteran
@Alanantic

I'm not considering myself religious but let's suppose that being Christian make me religious I'd like to highlight some of the thing you said

Question is why we accept an Authority rather than our own counsel when it comes to Spirituality? Simply because we're relying on the author of life's ability to guide us for our own good as He's himself a fully spiritual being who made our spiritual essence thus is in the known of our spiritual needs. We trust Him as He's leading us to the whole truth of the spiritual realm He made.

Religion is Obedience, that's right but obedience to a moral authority isn't a bad thing if it's the right thing to do. In comparison, would you say obeying laws in society is wrong and criminals are right to question the moral order?

I find the expression 'Blind Faith' faulty : the way i see it, you only have faith when you know you can rely on a truth. And when the truth you hold onto is rational for you, it makes sense that you have faith in the premises that comes with it.
For example when you see a complex algorithm on a computer we're not doubting it was designed/coded by a person who exist independently of that computer although you may ignore said person.
Well when it comes to God, we've rationalized that the algorithm of Life that is our DNA, genes ect was made/coded by an Intelligent maker existing outside of this material reality designed by Him as it couldn't have come to existence by itself. I know some just want to believe it can (without proofs so that means they have a materialistic belief they refuse to admit) or they talk about ETs instead because it may be unpleasant to admit God is behind all that. At the end of the day, scientists of the past were somewhat religious and it's possible to see their point of view when we dig a little bit. For them as for me, it is just reasonnable faith.

The issue here is that your version of Spirituality is void of the notion of Objective Truth. When you believe there is an objective truth, you cant accept 'lesser truths' or 'semi-lies' as part of the whole Truth.
If you trust Jesus saying He is the way, the truth and the life indeed it's very exclusive because you have to deal with the idea that not every path leads to God.

It's strange when you say Spirituality is logical conclusions and at the same time, you say it's questionning and staying 'Open minded'. A logical conclusion leads you to accept an objective/absolute truth which exclude any other propositions. If you keep questionning your Spirituality you can't say you have logical conclusions you can rely on, it's contradictory.
"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

In reality, most religions follow men rather than God but Spirituality without God that's basically making yourself your own god. So you imagine the spiritual realm as a sandbox in which you experiment stuff without knowing if it's safe or good for you while it well may be harmful and dangerous, you ignore what doors you're opening.

Religion has strict codes, various spirituality use mantras. Jesus told us that none of that leads to salvation though.

Pharisees were unhappy that Jesus didn't observed the sabbath. God expect discipline but Jesus taught us it's far from being compulsory
"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath" Mark 2:27

Religion as it exist today is under the guidance of men and because a large group follow certain practices or nomalized some men made traditions, we assume it's what God commanded yet that's not how it should be. God seek an individual fellowship with those who rely on Him.

'But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.' Matthew 6:6

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I like what Lee Strobel said about “religion”…

“Every other faith system I studied during my investigation was based on the “do” plan. In other words, it was necessary for people to do something—for example, use a Tibetan prayer wheel, pay alms, go on pilgrimages, undergo reincarnations, work off karma from past misdeeds, reform their character—to try to somehow earn their way back to God. Despite their best efforts, lots of sincere people just wouldn’t make it.
Christianity is unique. It’s based on the “done” plan—Jesus has done for us on the cross what we cannot do for ourselves: he has paid the death penalty that we deserve for our rebellion and wrongdoing, so we can become reconciled with God. I didn’t have to struggle and strive to try to do the impossible of making myself worthy. Over and over the Bible says that Jesus offers forgiveness and eternal life as a free gift that cannot be earned (see Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:8–9; Titus 3:5). It’s called grace—amazing grace, unmerited favor. It’s available to anyone who receives it in a sincere prayer of repentance. Even someone like me.”