What is spirituality?

DesertRose

Superstar
What a poignant video!

What Is the Point of Spirituality?
I agree spiritual states take us out of our own concerns, give us peace and relief from our everyday struggles that tend to make us ego-centric.
In our faith tradition we have this understanding that serenity is found in contentment.
When you have a why it is easy to experience the hows.
Thank you for this video! Very thought provoking!

Last edited:
Why Spirituality Is Important

Since the time of the European Enlightenment in the 17th century, the role and dominion of religion seem to be steadily diminishing (at least in the Western world). Since we entered the so-called “age of reason”, with the ability of science to explain and transform reality around us constantly increasing, and the general level of education also rising for everyone, people feel less drawn to seek organized religion as a tool for explaining the world and creating well-being.

And yet we humans have this inherent thirst for meaning in life, for a higher purpose, and for strong principles to lead our living—whether individually or socially. Only that can truly quench our existential anxiety.

Here is the role of spirituality in the third millennium.

We live in an age of overindulgence, of instant gratification. We have more physical comforts, entertainment and knowledge than ever before in history. This is certainly a result of the advances in science and technology in the past century.

But why then…
  • are mental health problems on the rise as never before?
  • do many of us feel an emptiness inside, a lack of real fulfillment and contentment, even if we have financial security, stable income, a good family, plenty of comfort and an established career?
  • no matter how much we acquire in our material life, and how much we understand about the physical universe around us, there is still a deeper itch that is never scratched?
Here is the role of spirituality in the third millennium. Spirituality fills the gaps left behind both by organized religion and by scientific materialism.

Nowadays we cannot believe the dogmas of religion anymore—not like before. But when living life from the point of view that science is the only valid way of determining truth, we find ourselves in a cold, mechanistic, and indifferent universe. This leads to nihilism, cynicism, and lack of meaning in life.

I believe that spirituality—in its myriad expressions—is the best means to give meaning to human life. It is also the strongest basis for human goodness and ethical conduct in society. Without spirituality, often all the morality we are left with is the law, and there is really no reason why one should not “do anything one can get away with.”

(source)

DesertRose

Superstar
I believe that spirituality—in its myriad expressions—is the best means to give meaning to human life. It is also the strongest basis for human goodness and ethical conduct in society. Without spirituality, often all the morality we are left with is the law, and there is really no reason why one should not “do anything one can get away with.”
“Does man think that he is to be left aimless?” Sura 75, verse 36:
I agree with this last part OM . Life without spirituality is aimless and without meaning.
Spirituality ,however, without the guidance from the Creator is akin to someone being asked to come to work in a complex field and not being given instruction by management once they get there regarding their function at work.
What will they do? Stand aimlessly at work? Make up their own duties at work?
Muslims have not thrown the baby out with the bath water in regards to faith.

For us Islamic spirituality is the acceptance that the Creator of the universe has instructed us as to our purpose and aim for centuries and in our faith we find the final iteration of guidance for mankind.
However, God willing we are sorting between the extremes of laxity, rigidity and blind imitation and how these have impacted our religious understanding and experiences.
“Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding – Who remember Allah while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing].” (Quran, 3:190-191)

All in all agreed regarding the need for spirituality:)

Last edited:
@Orwell's mentor ...

On the subject above, I like the dialogue that C.S. Lewis had with J.R.R. Tolkien...

It's somewhat interesting but in all honesty, it sounds like a bunch of verbiage about Jesus. To me, His existence is given but from a spiritual standpoint, the question I think needs to be asked is "What would Jesus do?" From the same article, this is stated, which is what I think Jesus was trying to teach:
  • Religion asks you to believe. Spirituality asks you to look.
  • Religion has dogmas. Spirituality has wisdom teachings.
  • Religion wants obedience. Spirituality wants experimentation.
  • Religion speaks of sin and hell. Spirituality speaks of karma.
  • Religion wants to comfort you. Spirituality wants to liberate you.
  • Religion is external. Spirituality is internal.
  • Religion is the form. Spirituality is the essence.
  • Religion wants to convert you. Spirituality wants to inspire you.
  • Religion is an institution. Spirituality is a journey.

“Does man think that he is to be left aimless?” Sura 75, verse 36:
I agree with this last part OM . Life without spirituality is aimless and without meaning.
Spirituality ,however, without the guidance from the Creator is akin to someone being asked to come to work in a complex field and not being given instruction by management once they get there regarding their function at work.
What will they do? Stand aimlessly at work? Make up their own duties at work?
Muslims have not thrown the baby out with the bath water in regards to faith.

For us Islamic spirituality is the acceptance that the Creator of the universe has instructed us as to our purpose and aim for centuries and in our faith we find the final iteration of guidance for mankind.
However, God willing we are sorting between the extremes of laxity, rigidity and blind imitation and how these have impacted our religious understanding and experiences.
“Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding – Who remember Allah while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing].” (Quran, 3:190-191)

All in all agreed regarding the need for spirituality:)
Agreed. I don't think spirituality is really spirituality without acknowledging and submitting to the Creator. I believe without it, spirituality becomes New Agey, and the next thing you know, people are carrying around yoga mats and buying patchouli incense. :)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It's somewhat interesting but in all honesty, it sounds like a bunch of verbiage about Jesus. To me, His existence is given but from a spiritual standpoint, the question I think needs to be asked is "What would Jesus do?" From the same article, this is stated, which is what I think Jesus was trying to teach:
  • Religion asks you to believe. Spirituality asks you to look.
  • Religion has dogmas. Spirituality has wisdom teachings.
  • Religion wants obedience. Spirituality wants experimentation.
  • Religion speaks of sin and hell. Spirituality speaks of karma.
  • Religion wants to comfort you. Spirituality wants to liberate you.
  • Religion is external. Spirituality is internal.
  • Religion is the form. Spirituality is the essence.
  • Religion wants to convert you. Spirituality wants to inspire you.
  • Religion is an institution. Spirituality is a journey.
Kind of reminds me of a conversation between John and Mr Broad in Pilgrims Regress:-

B7F01CE3-6994-4D3D-BAFF-016870A467E0.jpeg

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
That's neat, however, there's a bit of irony of continually posting information from C. S. Lewis regarding spirituality. That could be interpreted as though he's your new religion/dogma.
lol - it’s just that I have read most of what Lewis wrote and I enjoy his use of character and language. Fair point though - I wouldn’t want you to think I was a “Lewisian” ;-)

ZeroDawn

Rookie
I had a talk with a friend recently about the Religion vs Spirituality divide.

In Islam, the religion is composed of 3 parts :
  • Islam : the rituals (for the body)
  • Iman : the faith, beliefs (for the mind)
  • Ihsan: Spirituality which comprise perfecting the character and reach Certainty (for the Soul)

As in every part of the world, the Ihsan (spirituality) has steadily been :
  • more and more frowned upon or banned by litteralist some clerics interested only in the letter ('Conservatism')
  • decoupled from the letter, by new Age influence seeking to divide religion from spirituality and paint religions has 'has been' wayfaring ('Progressive')
And Conservatism and Progressive are the two Devil hands as both serve him.
Conservatism make religion lose it's essence (and sense), and Progressive remove it's concrete reality (no more exercses or discipline traded for emotions and feelings only).

As many has already stated above, I think Religions and Spirtuality are actually the two face of the same coin, as the body material reflect the soul.

In Christianity, spirituality is also very present, from St Thomas d'Aquin to the early monks of the desert wisdoms.
Judaism with the Kaballa too. Buddhism has serious discipline (fasting, prayers, retreat which are completely religious in this aspect) too beside the wisdom.

Last edited:
I had a talk with a friend recently about the Religion vs Spirituality divide.

In Islam, the religion is composed of 3 parts :
  • Islam : the rituals (for the body)
  • Iman : the faith, beliefs (for the mind)
  • Ihsan: Spirituality which comprise perfecting the character and reach Certainty (for the Soul)

As in every part of the world, the Ihsan (spirituality) has steadily been :
  • more and more frowned upon or banned by litteralist some clerics interested only in the letter ('Conservatism')
  • decoupled from the letter, by new Age influence seeking to divide religion from spirituality and paint religions has 'has been' wayfaring ('Progressive')
And Conservatism and Progressive are the two Devil hands as both serve him.
Conservatism make religion lose it's essence (and sense), and Progressive remove it's concrete reality (no more exercses or discipline traded for emotions and feelings only).

As many has already stated above, I think Religions and Spirtuality are actually the two face of the same coin, as the body material reflect the soul.

In Christianity, spirituality is also very present, from St Thomas d'Aquin to the early monks of the desert wisdoms.
Judaism with the Kaballa too. Buddhism has serious discipline (fasting, prayers, retreat which are completely religious in this aspect) too beside the wisdom.
I agree with what you've posted, with the exception of the Kabbalah being spiritual. I remember when my Jewish friend's child was seriously ill years ago, and told me some of the things they'd be willing to do for their child, according to the Kabbalah. I remained silent because I knew they were clearly distraught over their child's condition.

I thought this was a good depiction of how people who are of a spiritual mindset would view the world around them. It might be a bit of a digression, but what the heck, it is my thread - lol:

How Spirituality Can Benefit Mental and Physical Health
By: Elizabeth Scott, MS
Updated on March 13, 2020

While people use many different religions and paths to find God or to express their spirituality, research has shown that those who are more religious or spiritual and use their spirituality to cope with life, experience many benefits to their health and well-being. For many, this news would come as no surprise; spirituality and religious activity have been a source of comfort and relief from stress for multitudes of people. In fact, according to a study from the University of Florida in Gainesville and Wayne State University in Detroit, older adults use prayer more than any other alternative therapies for health; 96% of study participants use prayer specifically to cope with stress.

Spirituality's Positive Influence on Health
While specific spiritual views are a matter of faith, research has examined whether the benefits of spirituality and spiritual activity are provable facts. The results may surprise no one who has found comfort in their religious or spiritual views, but they are definitely noteworthy in that they demonstrate in a scientific way that these activities do work for many people. Here are just a few more of the many positive findings related to spirituality and its influence on physical and mental health:
  • Canadian college students who are involved with campus ministries visited the doctor less. They also scored higher on tests of psychological well-being and coped with stress more effectively.
  • Older women are more grateful to God than older men, and they receive greater stress-buffering health effects due to this gratitude.
  • Those with an intrinsic religious orientation, regardless of gender, exhibited less physiological reactivity toward stress than those with an extrinsic religious orientation. They were also less afraid of death and had greater feelings of well-being. (Those who were intrinsically oriented dedicated their lives to God or a ‘higher power,’ while the extrinsically oriented ones used religion for external ends like making friends or increasing community social standing.)
This, along with other research, demonstrates that there may be tangible and lasting benefits to maintaining involvement with a spiritual community. This involvement, along with the gratitude that can accompany spirituality, can be a buffer against stress and is linked to greater levels of physical health.

Dedication to God or a "higher power" translated into less stress reactivity, greater feelings of well-being, and ultimately even a decreased fear of death. People who feel comfortable and comforted using spirituality as a coping mechanism for stress can rest assured that there's even more evidence that this is a good idea for them.​

Prayer works for young and old alike. Prayer and spirituality have been linked to:
  • Better health
  • Less hypertension
  • Less stress, even during difficult times
  • More positive feelings
  • Less depression
  • Greater psychological well-being
  • Superior ability to handle stress
Final Thoughts
Whether this information inspires you to rediscover a forgotten spiritual path, reinforces your commitment to an already well-established one, or simply provides interesting food for thought, this is just a sample of all the encouraging research that’s been done on the topic.

Spirituality is a very personal experience, and everyone’s spiritual path may be unique. However, some spiritual stress relief strategies have been helpful to many, regardless of faith.

Check them out, and see which may work for you.

(source)

How Spirituality Can Benefit Mental and Physical Health
By: Elizabeth Scott, MS
Updated on March 13, 2020

While people use many different religions and paths to find God or to express their spirituality, research has shown that those who are more religious or spiritual and use their spirituality to cope with life, experience many benefits to their health and well-being. For many, this news would come as no surprise; spirituality and religious activity have been a source of comfort and relief from stress for multitudes of people. In fact, according to a study from the University of Florida in Gainesville and Wayne State University in Detroit, older adults use prayer more than any other alternative therapies for health; 96% of study participants use prayer specifically to cope with stress.

Spirituality's Positive Influence on Health
While specific spiritual views are a matter of faith, research has examined whether the benefits of spirituality and spiritual activity are provable facts. The results may surprise no one who has found comfort in their religious or spiritual views, but they are definitely noteworthy in that they demonstrate in a scientific way that these activities do work for many people. Here are just a few more of the many positive findings related to spirituality and its influence on physical and mental health:
  • Canadian college students who are involved with campus ministries visited the doctor less. They also scored higher on tests of psychological well-being and coped with stress more effectively.
  • Older women are more grateful to God than older men, and they receive greater stress-buffering health effects due to this gratitude.
  • Those with an intrinsic religious orientation, regardless of gender, exhibited less physiological reactivity toward stress than those with an extrinsic religious orientation. They were also less afraid of death and had greater feelings of well-being. (Those who were intrinsically oriented dedicated their lives to God or a ‘higher power,’ while the extrinsically oriented ones used religion for external ends like making friends or increasing community social standing.)
This, along with other research, demonstrates that there may be tangible and lasting benefits to maintaining involvement with a spiritual community. This involvement, along with the gratitude that can accompany spirituality, can be a buffer against stress and is linked to greater levels of physical health.

Dedication to God or a "higher power" translated into less stress reactivity, greater feelings of well-being, and ultimately even a decreased fear of death. People who feel comfortable and comforted using spirituality as a coping mechanism for stress can rest assured that there's even more evidence that this is a good idea for them.​

Prayer works for young and old alike. Prayer and spirituality have been linked to:
  • Better health
  • Less hypertension
  • Less stress, even during difficult times
  • More positive feelings
  • Less depression
  • Greater psychological well-being
  • Superior ability to handle stress
Final Thoughts
Whether this information inspires you to rediscover a forgotten spiritual path, reinforces your commitment to an already well-established one, or simply provides interesting food for thought, this is just a sample of all the encouraging research that’s been done on the topic.

Spirituality is a very personal experience, and everyone’s spiritual path may be unique. However, some spiritual stress relief strategies have been helpful to many, regardless of faith.

Check them out, and see which may work for you.

(source)
This is a way to water down the Truth of the Born again believer, which comes from God alone....You must be born again.....You MUST! And it has nothing to do with positive thinking, which is more of what your post is about.

Spirituality, is not the same thing as being Born of The Spirit. One is positive thinking by man (spirituality) and the other is being born of the Spirit of God. They are two different things. One is carnal...the other is Holy.
You posted the exact same thing, pretty much this time last year right here: https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/what-is-spirituality.4271/page-2#post-194888. If you have nothing new to add, or furthering the online conversation, why bother posting? However, feel free to bump my thread by continuing to do so.

Last edited: