What is spirituality?

Spirituality is our search for God. Religion is what we do when we think we've found him.
It is too vague a statement. That would apply to many false religions, The Mayans, Catholicism, LDS, JW's and a slew of other self willed religions. There is spirituality (small "s") and then there is the Holy Spirit, The Spirit of "The God". One is the imagination and self will of man , and the other is the proof of "The God" by creation itself (Rom. 1:16-32). In this Scripture is the evidence of the spirituality tied to the creation that man is born in (the worship of creation itself and the imagination of men) and also a creator that created all things who has revealed Himself, (The God) Romans Chapters 1 and 2 explain this pretty good.

Thunderian

Superstar
It is too vague a statement. That would apply to many false religions, The Mayans, Catholicism, LDS, JW's and a slew of other self willed religions. There is spirituality (small "s") and then there is the Holy Spirit, The Spirit of "The God". One is the imagination and self will of man , and the other is the proof of "The God" by creation itself (Rom. 1:16-32). In this Scripture is the evidence of the spirituality tied to the creation that man is born in (the worship of creation itself and the imagination of men) and also a creator that created all things who has revealed Himself, (The God) Romans Chapters 1 and 2 explain this pretty good.
Of course it applies to false religions. Why do you think they thrive? We are all born with the desire to seek God. When God breathed life into man, he breathed a knowledge of himself that has been passed down from Adam. His breath of life is why we have immortal spirits, and why humans have always sought God, or some version of him.

Whatever or whoever people decide God to be -- Jehovah, Allah, some mountain, themselves, whatever -- they perform actions that they believe will make them right with God or acceptable to him.

Christians don't need to perform religious acts to be right with God, other than to accept his sacrifice for us and then continue to seek and maintain fellowship with him. Other faiths demand all kinds of prayers and sacrifices, postures and ceremonies, but Jesus Christ demands nothing. We are free in him, and can be wholly spiritual without ever being religious.

Christians don't need to perform religious acts to be right with God, other than to accept his sacrifice for us and then continue to seek and maintain fellowship with him. Other faiths demand all kinds of prayers and sacrifices, postures and ceremonies, but Jesus Christ demands nothing. We are free in him, and can be wholly spiritual without ever being religious.
Agreed.

I thought this to be note-worthy:

Ways of expressing spirituality
Spirituality is a broad concept with room for many perspectives. It has to do with having a sense of peace and purpose and feeling connected to something bigger than ourselves. It typically involves a search for meaning in life. People experience and express their spirituality for different reasons and in different ways.​
Religious ways
For example:​
  • Buddhism
    • Islam
    • Christianity
    • Judaism
Non-religious ways
For example:​
  • Humanism
    • Environmentalism
    • Social action
Start with what’s important to you
Here are some ways to start to get in touch with your spiritual side:​
  • Think about how you see yourself in relation to your friends, your family and your world.
    • Identify what’s important to you. Think about the sorts of changes you’d like to see in yourself and in your world.
    • Try to describe your 'authentic' or 'true' self. Think about the values you want to live by.
    • Take time each day to connect with your natural environment: walk your dog in a place that you find beautiful; sit still for a few minutes somewhere quiet and just listen to the sounds of the natural world around you; go for a bushwalk or for a surf.
    • Meditate and/or do yoga at home or in a class to focus on the connection between your body and mind.
    • Read books about alternative ways of finding spirituality in your life.
Tips for practising spirituality
Believe and do what’s right for you
With something as personal as spirituality, you want it to be meaningful to you. Although respecting other people's beliefs and practices is important, don’t feel like you've got to follow them yourself if they’re not right for you. Also, spirituality isn't about being ‘cool’ or fashionable. If you suspect that your friends are taking up yoga just to be trendy or to tone up their butt, and twisting yourself into a pretzel shape isn't your thing, go for a walk along the beach at sunrise instead.​
Talk to others
Spirituality can be complex and you might feel overwhelmed or confronted, so don't be afraid to talk about it with a trusted family member, friend, teacher or religious leader. Listening to other people’s experiences and making them feel meaningful for you might help you decide what spirituality means for you.​
Stick at it
Some people might think it’s daggy to talk about spirituality, or tell you that it's a waste of time. Don’t worry about what they think; this is about finding meaning in your life, not theirs. If you haven't found what you're looking for yet, keep searching! Spirituality is a lifelong journey. (source)

Todd

Star

One Sunday morning, we had a guest pastor, as ours was out of town, During the morning sermon. The Spirit kept prompting me to prepare a sermon for the evening service. I thought I might be imagining things, but nevertheless, I prepared. That evening the guest pastor came to me...no one else, but me? and said, I have lost my voice, what are we going to do.....needless to say, I preached the evening service. This is just one of a multitude of the Spiritual works of the Holy Spirit in my life.
No error can be greater than that the Lord's service requires no more than consecrated zeal and intellectual preparation. All these necessary elements of service are worthless without the divine enabling. Acceptable Christian service consist in doing that, which by Gift and enabling of the Holy Spirit Nothing being left to self will or self choosing.

He lives, and He lives in me,
Douglas Summers
That's a cute story and all, but even if it is true, when you really analyze the situation it is actually a sad commentary on the state of the church and God's people. First, if the point of the story is to give evidence that God can supernaturally lead people, it doesn't bode well for the discernment of the guest pastor or your church for inviting that guest pastor. If it was truly God's will for you to preach that night, then why couldn't God just "speak" to the guest pastor or your church leadership, instead of having to intervene and cause the guest minister to loose his voice? Or does God like playing tricks to lead us?

Second, I find it amusing to even contemplate that God cares enough about who preached at your church that night, that he had to orchestrate the circumstances in such way to make sure you ended up preaching. I've been involved with Charismatic/"spirit lead" circles for over 29 years and heard countless stories about believers supposedly being led by God, in what amounts to be very trivial circumstances. Yet I've rarely heard testimonies about God actually leading a person by their Spirit to stop something truly tragic or evil from happening? Why is that? Does God really care about trivial circumstances more than truly life or death situations?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying God didn't lead you. I believe and know God can do those type of things, but unfortunately I think most Christians who claim to be "Spirit Lead" are just too superficial and focused on the wrong things to actually hear God about something that really matters. (Sorry, but who preaches at a given "church" service is rather trivial, and hardly a life or death situation)

When is the last time you heard a testimony about God leading somebody to meet an unknown need in the life of another person that actually resulted into someone coming to know God's love and grace? I have heard those type of testimonies and have some of my own. Those are the type of testimonies that mean something. However they seem too few and far between in all the "Church" circles I have experienced in the last 29 years.

Alanantic

Star
Temporary, working definition:

Spirituality is religion in its infancy, before it has matured and developed the necessary tools, both physical and metaphysical, to go forth and argue.

:cool:
“Assuredly, I say to you, unless you change and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” -- Matthew 18:3

Spirituality is religion in its infancy, before it got corrupted by men calling themselves priests, rabbis, Imans, preachers, etc...

Dalit

Star
That's a cute story and all, but even if it is true, when you really analyze the situation it is actually a sad commentary on the state of the church and God's people. First, if the point of the story is to give evidence that God can supernaturally lead people, it doesn't bode well for the discernment of the guest pastor or your church for inviting that guest pastor. If it was truly God's will for you to preach that night, then why couldn't God just "speak" to the guest pastor or your church leadership, instead of having to intervene and cause the guest minister to loose his voice? Or does God like playing tricks to lead us?

Second, I find it amusing to even contemplate that God cares enough about who preached at your church that night, that he had to orchestrate the circumstances in such way to make sure you ended up preaching. I've been involved with Charismatic/"spirit lead" circles for over 29 years and heard countless stories about believers supposedly being led by God, in what amounts to be very trivial circumstances. Yet I've rarely heard testimonies about God actually leading a person by their Spirit to stop something truly tragic or evil from happening? Why is that? Does God really care about trivial circumstances more than truly life or death situations?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying God didn't lead you. I believe and know God can do those type of things, but unfortunately I think most Christians who claim to be "Spirit Lead" are just too superficial and focused on the wrong things to actually hear God about something that really matters. (Sorry, but who preaches at a given "church" service is rather trivial, and hardly a life or death situation)

When is the last time you heard a testimony about God leading somebody to meet an unknown need in the life of another person that actually resulted into someone coming to know God's love and grace? I have heard those type of testimonies and have some of my own. Those are the type of testimonies that mean something. However they seem too few and far between in all the "Church" circles I have experienced in the last 29 years.
I like this a bit reluctantly because while I think it is a good testimony from Douglas S, yet I can relate to charismatic (mis)leading things at the same time.

Hmmm. The only testimony I can think of "meeting an unknown need in the life of another person that actually resulted into someone coming to know God's love and grace" was quite a serendipitous, a rather Holy Spirit inspired event from late September. And I didn't know the role I played in it until one of my best friends told me.

I was double booked to be in two places at once. One place was with this best friend out of town. The other place was Sukkot, which was also out of town but closer to home. Even though I had planned to go with my friend out of town, I felt it was not for me this time. So I cancelled. My friend understood and she had other friends to invite. But none of her friends came through, until her daughter, who was far from Jesus, did. :) Yay! Happy dance! It was so bizarre and wonderful and last minute. The place I would've been going with her, let's call her Idit (Hebrew name meaning "choicest", most like Edith in English), kept calling me to insure I wasn't going. That was weird. I was nice about it, but kept saying, "No, I'm celebrating Sukkot, but Idit is coming and maybe she'll bring someone along." I had no idea her daughter would go! Her daughter not only went, and she didn't care for it the first couple days, but she sensed Jesus' love and was delivered while there. She said she never felt so loved! Oh, it was wonderful. I was having a grand time at Sukkot, but more than anything, I saw the change in Idit's daughter and the closeness of their relationship. Idit had even begged me to be friends with her daughter: "Dalit, my daughter needs Christian friends. You can talk TV with her and stuff better than I can." Now Idit's daughter is married to the right man, cut off the wrong man, and she has helped her and her new son-in-law move to their military base a few states away.

Wow! Thanks for this opportunity! I feel great sharing this and it is truly a miracle. For Idit to tell me: "Dalit, you played an important role in this by not going and creating space for Talia (Idit's daughter) to go"...and all I could say is "Baruch HaShem!" (Bless His name!) :)

Serveto

Star
“Assuredly, I say to you, unless you change and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” -- Matthew 18:3
"He taught them laws and watchwords,
To preach and struggle and pray;
But he taught us deep in the hayfield
The games that the angels play.

Had he stayed here for ever,
Their world would be wise as ours —
And the king be cutting capers,
And the priest be picking flowers."
G.K. Chesterton
"The Song of the Children"

Last edited:
Just found this interesting:

Different Forms of Spirituality for Different Personalities

Mystical
Keirsey (1998) stated that people with the "intuitive feeling" personality types according to the Myers-Briggs personality model tend to be mystical in outlook. These people aspire
“to transcend the material world (and thus gain insight into the essence of things), to transcend the senses (and thus gain knowledge of the soul), to transcend the ego (and thus feel united with all creation), [and] to transcend even time (and thus feel the force of past lives and prophesies).” (Keirsey, 1998, p. 145)​
People with this mystical personality factor tend to feel an underlying unity in all people and all things, and to seek transcendent experiences that are direct contact with this unity. Their approach to spirituality tends to be based on personal experiences of the transcendent rather than based on institutional authority and doctrine.

Authoritarian
For people with an authoritarian personality, establishing and conforming to authority is the main purpose of life. These people tend to form hierarchical organizations that emphasize setting and following rules. In some cases, authoritarian groups tend to have hostile conflicts with those who do not follow their rules or share their values.
In Eastern approaches to spirituality, the relationships between the gurus or spiritual Masters and their disciples often have authoritarian characteristics.

Altemyer (1996) argues that fundamentalist religions are religious manifestations of the authoritarian personality. Fundamentalists exist for most of the worlds major religions and believe that their particular set of beliefs and values are the only true religion. They believe that those who follow the rules of their religion have a special relationship with God and that God will punish those do not follow the rules. The Christian Fundamentalist's firm belief in the inerrant authority of the Bible is a typical expression of the authoritarian personality.

Religious terrorists are an extreme form of fundamentalism. It is a small step from believing that God will punish those who do not follow the rules to believing that God wants the select true believers to punish nonbelievers (Stern, 2003).

Intellectual
Some people are attracted to knowledge in the form of memorizing and analyzing writings, history, and theories. This intellectual approach can result in religious pundits with extensive knowledge of the details of religious beliefs and religious history.

Service
Service to others is a common form of spiritual expression in many religions. This is a central theme in the New Testament. Some people are more attracted to this form of spirituality.

Social
Participation in a religious group or spiritual community is a social activity that has great appeal for some people. Extroversion is a well established personality factor that reflects a person's desire to be involved with groups of people. The scientific study of religion tends to focus on the social aspects. Social support and connections from participation in a religious or spiritual group are frequently discussed as an important aspect of spirituality.

(source)

DavidSon

Star
Just found this interesting:

Different Forms of Spirituality for Different Personalities

Mystical
Keirsey (1998) stated that people with the "intuitive feeling" personality types according to the Myers-Briggs personality model tend to be mystical in outlook. These people aspire
“to transcend the material world (and thus gain insight into the essence of things), to transcend the senses (and thus gain knowledge of the soul), to transcend the ego (and thus feel united with all creation), [and] to transcend even time (and thus feel the force of past lives and prophesies).” (Keirsey, 1998, p. 145)​
People with this mystical personality factor tend to feel an underlying unity in all people and all things, and to seek transcendent experiences that are direct contact with this unity. Their approach to spirituality tends to be based on personal experiences of the transcendent rather than based on institutional authority and doctrine.

Authoritarian
For people with an authoritarian personality, establishing and conforming to authority is the main purpose of life. These people tend to form hierarchical organizations that emphasize setting and following rules. In some cases, authoritarian groups tend to have hostile conflicts with those who do not follow their rules or share their values.
In Eastern approaches to spirituality, the relationships between the gurus or spiritual Masters and their disciples often have authoritarian characteristics.

Altemyer (1996) argues that fundamentalist religions are religious manifestations of the authoritarian personality. Fundamentalists exist for most of the worlds major religions and believe that their particular set of beliefs and values are the only true religion. They believe that those who follow the rules of their religion have a special relationship with God and that God will punish those do not follow the rules. The Christian Fundamentalist's firm belief in the inerrant authority of the Bible is a typical expression of the authoritarian personality.

Religious terrorists are an extreme form of fundamentalism. It is a small step from believing that God will punish those who do not follow the rules to believing that God wants the select true believers to punish nonbelievers (Stern, 2003).

Intellectual
Some people are attracted to knowledge in the form of memorizing and analyzing writings, history, and theories. This intellectual approach can result in religious pundits with extensive knowledge of the details of religious beliefs and religious history.

Service
Service to others is a common form of spiritual expression in many religions. This is a central theme in the New Testament. Some people are more attracted to this form of spirituality.

Social
Participation in a religious group or spiritual community is a social activity that has great appeal for some people. Extroversion is a well established personality factor that reflects a person's desire to be involved with groups of people. The scientific study of religion tends to focus on the social aspects. Social support and connections from participation in a religious or spiritual group are frequently discussed as an important aspect of spirituality.

(source)
Very smart, thanks for posting! I think it's worthy to paste the 2nd part of this piece:

Diversity and Conflicts

"The most successful religious organizations will appeal to all these personality factors. The Catholic Church is one of the most conspicuous examples that incorporate mystical, authoritarian, intellectual, service, and social aspects. Many people find that they are drawn to more than one aspect of spirituality.

However, some people place greater emphasis on one form of spirituality and are not attracted to others. In fact, conflicts are common among people with different personality types and different approaches to spirituality.

Conflicts between people with mystical and authoritarian dispositions have occurred throughout history. For example, Christian Fundamentalists often consider the transcendent or miraculous experiences of mystics as delusions or the work of the devil that distracts people from recognizing and obeying the authority of the Bible and church. They consider such experiences to have been necessary in Biblical times to establish the Page 4 of 5 authority of the Bible, but such experiences are a threat to the established authority in post-Biblical times.

These controversies go back to the beginning of Christianity. The texts selected for inclusion in the New Testament emphasized the authority of the church and its leaders, and were chosen when Christianity was becoming a state religion. Texts that gave greater emphasis to personal spiritual insight and experiences were rejected. The conflicts between Quakers and Puritans were another example of tensions between those who focused on personal spiritual insight and experience versus those who focused on religion as an external source of authority and rules.

Tensions between those who focus on transcendent experiences and those who focus on knowledge of and adherence to doctrine are also apparent in the history of Islam and Buddhism.

As discussed in later sections, spirituality is sometimes distorted by deep-seated human motivations for aggression and to feel superior. These distortions of spirituality can produce evil and extreme violence, but do not indicate the basic nature of spirituality.

The sense of meaning and purpose in life appears to be the common denominator for spirituality. However, the diversity of spiritual perspectives and values makes it difficult to define and describe spirituality."

This description is useful in gauging the way our personality expresses itself within the quest for spirituality, and explains a lot of our disagreements.

I've been thinking lately I'd like to see a study of shared experiences among religious followers... like the progression of faith. For example the seeker finds an answer and is humbled. Then they are filled with judgement, that the world must conform to their truth or perish. Next maybe sadness is felt in realizing we are alone in our understanding, which eventually leads to deeper patience and acceptance for all. There must be similar patterns we exhibit as going from a child to mature, awakened persons.

DesertRose

Superstar
EDIT: previous responses scrapped
In Islam: The desire to attain the Favor of Allah (SWT) should supersede all other considerations. Allah says in the Quran
RE: Worldly life:
“The mutual rivalry for piling up (the good things of this world) diverts you (from the more serious things)“. [102:1]

Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers, evil-doers), and (there is) Forgiveness from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers, good-doers), whereas the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment“. [57:20]
Let not then this present life deceive you” (Quran, Surah Fatir: 5).
"But seek, with that (wealth) which Allah has bestowed on you, the home of the hereafter, and forget not your portion of lawful enjoyment in this world; and do good as Allah has been good to you, and seek not mischief in the land. Verily, Allah likes not the Mufsidun (those who commit great crimes and sins, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupters)” (Quran, Surah Al-Qasas: 77).

Purpose of Life
"Verily, I am Allah, there is no god beside Me, so worship Me and establish regular prayer for My remembrance." [Quran 20:14]
"I have created the jinn and humankind only for My worship." [Quran 51: 56]
"Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but he was an upright Muslim who did not worship others besides God." [Quran 3 : 67]

"The seven heavens and the earth and whatever is in them glorify Him and there is nothing which does not glorify His praise. However, you do not understand their glorification." [Quran 17: 44]
"Glorify the praises of your Lord." [Quran 110 : 3].
"O believers! Remember Allah often." [Quran 33:41]

"O you who believe! Fasting has been prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you that you may become God-conscious." [Quran 2:183]
"Satan's plan is to incite enmity and hatred among you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and regular prayer. Will you not then abstain?" [Quran 5 : 91]
"Satan got the better of them and caused them to forget Allah. Those are the party of Satan. Truly the party of Satan are the real losers" [Quran 58:19]
" Those who, having done something shameful or having wronged their own souls, remember Allah and immediately ask forgiveness for their sins…" [Quran 3:135]

And We shall set up balances of justice on the Day of Resurrection, then none will be dealt with unjustly in anything. And if there be the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it. And Sufficient are We to take account." [Quran 21:47]

Nay, you prefer the life of this world;
Although the hereafter is better and more lasting.
Verily! This is in the former Scriptures,
The Scriptures of Ibrahim (Abraham) and Moosa (Moses) (Quran, Surah Al-Aala: 16 – 19).

May we be worthy of the Creator, brothers and sister (big sigh)
“Be in this world as though you were a stranger or a traveler/wayfarer.”

DesertRose

Superstar
Why You Don't Know Real Love | Lauryn Hill
She brings some relevant thoughts:
Who are you an agent for? God or the other side?
To add.
(Are you part of the world's problems or part of the solution? Do we show up as loving and forgiving beings or hateful and divisive beings?)

Last edited:
Very smart, thanks for posting! I think it's worthy to paste the 2nd part of this piece:

Diversity and Conflicts

"The most successful religious organizations will appeal to all these personality factors. The Catholic Church is one of the most conspicuous examples that incorporate mystical, authoritarian, intellectual, service, and social aspects. Many people find that they are drawn to more than one aspect of spirituality.

However, some people place greater emphasis on one form of spirituality and are not attracted to others. In fact, conflicts are common among people with different personality types and different approaches to spirituality.

Conflicts between people with mystical and authoritarian dispositions have occurred throughout history. For example, Christian Fundamentalists often consider the transcendent or miraculous experiences of mystics as delusions or the work of the devil that distracts people from recognizing and obeying the authority of the Bible and church. They consider such experiences to have been necessary in Biblical times to establish the Page 4 of 5 authority of the Bible, but such experiences are a threat to the established authority in post-Biblical times.

These controversies go back to the beginning of Christianity. The texts selected for inclusion in the New Testament emphasized the authority of the church and its leaders, and were chosen when Christianity was becoming a state religion. Texts that gave greater emphasis to personal spiritual insight and experiences were rejected. The conflicts between Quakers and Puritans were another example of tensions between those who focused on personal spiritual insight and experience versus those who focused on religion as an external source of authority and rules.

Tensions between those who focus on transcendent experiences and those who focus on knowledge of and adherence to doctrine are also apparent in the history of Islam and Buddhism.

As discussed in later sections, spirituality is sometimes distorted by deep-seated human motivations for aggression and to feel superior. These distortions of spirituality can produce evil and extreme violence, but do not indicate the basic nature of spirituality.

The sense of meaning and purpose in life appears to be the common denominator for spirituality. However, the diversity of spiritual perspectives and values makes it difficult to define and describe spirituality."

This description is useful in gauging the way our personality expresses itself within the quest for spirituality, and explains a lot of our disagreements.

I've been thinking lately I'd like to see a study of shared experiences among religious followers... like the progression of faith. For example the seeker finds an answer and is humbled. Then they are filled with judgement, that the world must conform to their truth or perish. Next maybe sadness is felt in realizing we are alone in our understanding, which eventually leads to deeper patience and acceptance for all. There must be similar patterns we exhibit as going from a child to mature, awakened persons.
Thanks and you’re welcome.

If you do find the study, please post it. I think it would be interesting how religion, faith and spirituality intertwine. I agree with your assessment about religion being a judgmental and at times, a negative perspective of the world. Perhaps it’s the wanting to believe the written word instead of trusting or unable to find that innate source from within? I get the sense that religion is a bit like Yul Brynner in “The Ten Commandments” because if it’s written, then that’s the truth and that’s that:

Being an ‘80s teenager, I was a Fixx fan and enjoyed their song “Treasure It”. The particular lines in the song were always poignant to me:

“When you're feeling insecure do you treasure it?
You should treasure it
Feel the pull of nature's course and treasure it
Treasure it
Feel the pull, feel the swing, there's no value
`Til you treasure it”

From my perspective, I think the word “nature” and “spirituality” can be interchanged. It’s conceding to the notion that what is known to an individual is not known to others in every corner of the world, but yet together, we still live and breathe on this planet and do what we can to make the most of our own lives. Ultimately, I feel it’s embracing and understanding there’s something bigger than our egos and mortal thoughts, which some have placed in text form, like religion, that’s responsible for our existence. Ideally, patience would follow as one would know that they themselves don't have the all the answers, or that what they know is "right"; that what they know is just an opinion formed from their own level of understanding and experiences.

Why You Don't Know Real Love | Lauryn Hill
She brings some relevant thoughts:
Who are you an agent for? God or the other side?
To add.
(Are you part of the world's problems or part of the solution? Do we show up as loving and forgiving beings or hateful and divisive beings?)
Those are some powerful words by Lauryn! It's no wonder the music industry treated her the way they did. She knows exactly what it's all about, kudos to her.

Thanks for posting. :)

yiksmes

Established
Hi all! Hope you are well. :)
(Warning this might sound very silly)

To me Religion and Spirituality is like the most Thai people say: "same same but different.." (not only Thai people)

To me Religion is instructions before leaving earth
and Spirituality is when you try to get in touch with that spirit within you (or spirits.. - It happens)

To me Religion and Spirituality is like the most Thai people say: "same same but different.." (not only Thai people)

and Spirituality is when you try to get in touch with that spirit within you (or spirits.. - It happens)
It means you must be born again (John 3:1-21)

It's not silly at all. It's as though religion is an instruction manual for our life here on earth. The thing is, we weren't born with them so if we look deep within, we can find those intrinsic instructions ourselves if we're willing to look.