What is sin according to the Bible?

phipps

Star
The Bible defines sin as the transgression of the law. “Sin is the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:4.

The Law of God is a complete and perfect definition of what constitutes sin.

The transgression of which law is sin?

“...For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” Romans 7:7.

As it is the ten commandment law which states, “Thou shalt not covet,” (Exodus 20), sin is therefore the transgression of the ten commandment law.

Sin is defined by that which God wrote on the tables of stone.

Our WHOLE duty is contained in the ten commandments.

How many sins does the law condemn?

“To the law and to the testimony...” Isaiah 8:20.

“...for where there is no law there is no transgression.” Romans 4:15.

There is no sin that the law does not condemn, no virtue that it does not require. We will be judged by the law and nothing else. The law therefore condemns every sin and requires every virtue. Transgression of the law is therefore the only definition of sin in the Word of God.

The ten commandments are a perfect and complete definition of sin. They are the sum of perfection, a transcript of God’s own character, a ten point explanation and definition of love. “Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.” Romans 13:10. Sin is the transgression of the law.

TokiEl

Superstar
God forgives... when we repent.

When we turn from sins which is breaking the Law and try to live according to the words of Jesus Christ who confirmed the Law by the way... God forgives.

Do you know why God forgives so easily ? It's because it was not easy but heavy to crucify His Companion for our sins.

phipps

Star
Is inheriting a sinful fallen nature from Adam a sin?

No. The ONLY definition of sin is the transgression of the law. There is no law against inheriting a sinful fallen human nature. Inheriting a fallen nature is not a transgression of the law, therefore having a fallen nature is not a sin.

The fallen nature we inherit at conception is not a sin but the RESULT of Adam’s sin.

We do not need to be forgiven for having a fallen nature, the responsibility for that rests with Adam.

Some claim that possessing a fallen nature is a sin. As there is no law against inheriting a fallen nature it is not a sin. We all inherit a fallen nature from our parents. There can be no sin where there is no law. “...for where there is no law there is no transgression.” Romans 4:15.

A law against inheriting a fallen nature would be impossible to keep, who could choose not to violate it before one existed?!

As the law does not condemn having a fallen nature then Christ could have come in our fallen nature and lived a sinless life in it.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Two types of sin in the Bible.

There are two types of sin in the Bible, known sins and sins of ignorance. These types determine Christ's willingness to continue living in one who is committing them.

Sins of ignorance are sins we commit but are unaware that we are sinning. The Spirit has not convicted us of these sins yet (Acts 17:30). However there is a difference between being truly ignorant because they lack the knowledge, because they can't know and being wilfully ignorant because they reject the opportunity to know. There is no excuse for rejecting knowledge of God. That is a sin.

Hosea 4:6, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children."

Known sins are committed even though we know that they are wrong. The Spirit of God convicts us to repent of these sins. Christ is more than willing to live in our hearts if we faithfully follow all the truth we know. He will abide in us even if we still commit sins that we are unaware of. However, when we knowingly choose to disobey the Lord, Christ cannot live in us.

When we are convicted of wrongdoing, but refuse to come to God in repentance and confession, we remain responsible for those sins (Proverbs 28:13). Christ’s death will not cover the sin that we ignore, and don’t replace with godly obedience. Jesus Himself said, “If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say, ‘We see.’ Therefore your sin remains.” (John 9:41).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The unpardonable sin.

Q. What does it mean to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit? How do we know we haven’t committed this “unpardonable sin”?

Jesus speaks in Matthew 12:31-32 about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. He says, “All manner of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven man, except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.”

Now this blasphemy against the Holy Spirit does not mean you lose your temper, shake your fist at God, and call Him names. That is certainly an outrageous sin, but that is not the “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” of which Jesus is speaking.

The Jewish leaders accused Jesus of blasphemy when He claimed equality with God and the right to forgive sin. Of course, they would have been correct to do so if Jesus were not God.

However, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is a perpetual, constant resisting of the drawing love of God’s Spirit, so much so that you lose the capacity to hear the Holy Spirit’s voice. The conscience becomes seared (1 Timothy 4:2). This deadly blasphemy is also called “grieving away” the Holy Spirit. Paul refers to “Grieve not the Holy Spirit, wherewith you are sealed,” meaning we can permanently grieve away the Spirit.

Eventually, a person loses the capacity to repent, and therefore cannot be saved. It is for this sin that a person cannot be forgiven, because they have rejected the Spirit that convicts of sin (John 16:8). So if we still feel convicted of sin and have the desire to repent, then we have probably not committed the unpardonable sin.

www.amazingfacts.org

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Any sin can become the sin against the Holy Spirit.

If we steadfastly refuse to confess and forsake any sin, we will eventually become deaf to the Holy Spirit’s pleading and thus pass the point of no return.

Following are a few Bible examples:

1. Judas’ unpardonable sin was covetousness (John 12:6). Why? Was it because God could not forgive it? No! It became unpardonable only because Judas refused to listen to the Holy Spirit and confess and forsake his sin of covetousness. Eventually he became deaf to the Spirit’s voice.

2. The Pharisees’ unpardonable sin was their refusal to accept Jesus as the Messiah (Mark 3:22–30). They were convinced repeatedly with heartfelt conviction that Jesus was the Messiah—the Son of the living God. But they hardened their hearts and stubbornly refused to accept Him as Saviour and Lord. Finally they grew deaf to the Spirit’s voice. Then one day, after a wonderful miracle by Jesus, the Pharisees told the multitude that Jesus received His power from the devil. Christ at once told them that attributing His miracle-working power to the devil indicated they had passed the point of no return and had blasphemed the Holy Spirit. God could have, and joyfully would have, forgiven them. But they refused until they were stone deaf to the Holy Spirit and could no longer be reached.

When the Spirit makes His appeal, we can choose to respond or refuse, but we cannot choose the consequences. They are fixed. If we consistently respond, we will become like Jesus. The Holy Spirit will seal, or mark, us in the forehead as a child of God (Revelation 7:2-3), and thus assure us a place in God’s heavenly kingdom. However, if we persistently refuse to respond, we will grieve away the Holy Spirit—and He will leave us forever, sealing our doom.

After King David had committed a terrible double sin of adultery and murder, what anguished prayer did he pray?

“Do not take Your Holy Spirit from me” (Psalm 51:11). He pleaded with God not to take away the Holy Spirit from him. Why? Because David knew if the Holy Spirit left him, he was doomed from that moment. He knew that only the Holy Spirit could lead him to repentance and restoration, and he trembled at the thought of becoming deaf to His voice. The Bible tells us in another place that God finally left Ephraim alone because he was joined to his idols (Hosea 4:17) and would not listen to the Spirit. He had become spiritually deaf. The most tragic thing that can happen to a person is for God to have to turn away and leave him alone.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
We can boil it down to this...sin is something you do, say or think that doesn’t please God.

No. The ONLY definition of sin is the transgression of the law. There is no law against inheriting a sinful fallen human nature. Inheriting a fallen nature is not a transgression of the law, therefore having a fallen nature is not a sin.

The fallen nature we inherit at conception is not a sin but the RESULT of Adam’s sin.

We do not need to be forgiven for having a fallen nature, the responsibility for that rests with Adam.

Some claim that possessing a fallen nature is a sin. As there is no law against inheriting a fallen nature it is not a sin. We all inherit a fallen nature from our parents. There can be no sin where there is no law. “...for where there is no law there is no transgression.” Romans 4:15.

A law against inheriting a fallen nature would be impossible to keep, who could choose not to violate it before one existed?!

As the law does not condemn having a fallen nature then Christ could have come in our fallen nature and lived a sinless life in it.
But we do not live under Law. but under grace. You must be born again. Sin is anything that grieves the Spirit in us. What ever is not by faith is sin (Rom. 14:13-23). Flaunting your faith is a sin! The Law is summed up into....Love the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul, and your neighbor the same.

Inheriting an evil nature is not a sin, but a nature we are born with...men are inherently evil. And will die unless they have faith in Christ. (Rom. 3:9-20). You make God out a liar if you say otherwise!

phipps

Star
But we do not live under Law. but under grace. You must be born again. Sin is anything that grieves the Spirit in us. What ever is not by faith is sin (Rom. 14:13-23). Flaunting your faith is a sin! The Law is summed up into....Love the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul, and your neighbor the same.
But we do not live under Law. but under grace. You must be born again.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9.

Being saved by grace doesn't mean we can and should break the law. We still have to obey the law. Paul asked the same question in Romans 6:1, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?" In other words, does grace give us a license to disobey the law of God? His answer in verse 2 is, "Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?" And Jesus said in John 14:15, “If you love Me, keep My commandments." He also said in Luke 6:46, “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?"

I have a forum on this subject. Being saved by Grace is an incredible gift from Christ and without it we would be lost. However if we accept that gift and continue our lives submitting to Christ without reserve, the evidence of that is in our works. We will live like Jesus did when He was here on earth and obey God completely in everything we do. We will love, trust and obey. Our works of obedience are presented as evidence in the judgment that we trust God’s amazing grace.

And yes we must be born again. The Bible says so.

Sin is anything that grieves the Spirit in us.
You're not speaking according to the Bible. The definition of sin in the Bible is, “Sin is the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:4. NOT "Sin is anything that grieves the Spirit in us."

Flaunting your faith is a sin!
Am I flaunting my faith? If so how?

The Law is summed up into....Love the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul, and your neighbor the same.
Exactly, this is the summary of the law. The first part of the law is about our relationship with God (‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’), and the second part is about our relationships with each other (and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ”). However the law still stands and is what we shall be judged by. https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/saved-by-grace-not-works.5988/post-219457

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Inheriting an evil nature is not a sin, but a nature we are born with...men are inherently evil. And will die unless they have faith in Christ. (Rom. 3:9-20). You make God out a liar if you say otherwise!
You didn't understand what I posted then. Some Christians think we are born with original sin. I posted that the only sin that counts is when we break the law. Being born into this world we are automatically born with an inherent sinful nature.

However that doesn't count as breaking the law since its not part of God's law. That law would be difficult to keep because we would all break it by simply being born into this world.

I even went further and posted that if we all sinned because we inherited a sinful nature that would mean Jesus sinned by being born into this World. But the Bible tells us Jesus never sinned at all. He wouldn't be sinless if being born into this world with an inherent sinful nature was a sin.

So I didn't make God out to be a liar did I? You just didn't understand.

Last edited:

kittybratxx

Established
Deuteronomy 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

You didn't understand what I posted then. That is exactly my point. Some Christians think we are born with original sin. I posted that the only sin that counts is when we break the law. Being born into this world we are automatically born with an inherent sinful nature.

However that doesn't count as breaking the law since its not part of God's law. That law would be difficult to keep because we would all break it by simply being born into this world.

I even went further and posted that if we all sinned because we inherited a sinful nature that would mean Jesus sinned by being born into this World. But the Bible tells us Jesus never sinned at all. He wouldn't be sinless if being born into this world with an inherent sinful nature was a sin.

So I didn't make God out to be a liar did I? You just didn't understand.
You still got it wrong...I did understand that your doctrine is not according to Scripture. All men die...even babies who have done nothing yet sinful....why? because we are all born into sin. our hearts and thoughts are continually sinful. Without Christ righteousness we will die.

phipps

Star
You still got it wrong...I did understand that your doctrine is not according to Scripture. All men die...even babies who have done nothing yet sinful....why? because we are all born into sin. our hearts and thoughts are continually sinful. Without Christ righteousness we will die.
How can a baby die sinful? Will a loving God send babies to hell because they were born into this world?

We are born in a sinful world but that doesn't mean we sinned by being born into it. That is why Jesus (God) was born into this sinful world and yet was without sin. So are you suggesting Christ sinned by being born into this world?

The only sin that counts is when God's law is broken. Being born into this sinful world is not breaking God's law because its not part of God's law. Remember sin is the breaking of God's law. This is according to scripture.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Origin of Sin

Summary: Did God create sin? If not, where did it come from?

Why do bad things happen to good people? If God is a good God why doesn't He always intervene when bad things happen? This age-old question has haunted old and young when faced with devastating circumstances. It's easy to believe in a good God when things are going well, but when faced with situations where bad things seem to happen without any just cause, it is harder to maintain that belief. In fact, many people have become atheists over this very issue.

Is there an answer then that can help us understand why a good God or anyone with as much power as God doesn't do away with evil once and for all? This is not an easy question to answer because it requires that we have a look at the circumstances which God finds Himself in. To many, it will come as a surprise that God actually was once faced with a dilemma. The story of how this came to be starts long before the events in the garden of Eden.

In Ezekiel 28:15, we are told that God created the angel Lucifer perfectly. Just as God did not create rotten apples but only good apples, God did not create the devil; He created the angel Lucifer.

Lucifer is the originator of sin. He was perfect until he developed iniquity—a trait that God never put there.

Freedom of Choice

The Bible tells us that Lucifer was created perfect in all his ways. God did not create sin, or an imperfect being. There was no reason for Lucifer to fall from his exalted position. However, God gives His creatures freedom of choice and Lucifer chose to rebel against God’s government and authority.

God could have made angels and people so that they could not sin, like he made the stars to remain in their orbital positions. But He made us free agents, not robots. Without this freedom, His creatures would not be able to truly love God, for then they would only be programmed to love Him. God wants love that comes from a willing heart. He is not a God of force. He gave freedom to choose whether to obey or disobey, to love or to hate. Lucifer chose to hate.

Lucifer held an exalted position in heaven. He was the “anointed cherub that covereth” the throne of God. He was “full of wisdom and perfect in beauty” (Ezekiel 28:12-14). But Lucifer was proud of his beauty. Ezekiel 28:17 says this of Lucifer: “Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou has corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness.” His beauty went to his head and the seed of sin germinated.

Instead of glorifying God, Lucifer said in his heart, “I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit upon the mount of the congregation…I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High” (Isaiah 14:13-14).

When Lucifer rebelled against God, he was thrown from heaven and became Satan, “the adversary.”

If God had chosen to destroy Lucifer at that point, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. Lucifer’s influence and the spirit of rebellion would not have been fully eradicated. Instead, for the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages, God allowed Lucifer to fully develop his charges against the divine government so that they might be seen in their true light. Sin must run its course for its enormity to be fully abhorred; but it will eventually be eradicated, along with its instigator.

“Therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes…and never shalt thou be any more” (Ezekiel 28:18-19).

When God created this world and all its creatures, “God saw every thing that he had made, and behold, it was very good” (Genesis 1:31). God is not the author of sin, but He was willing to bear its consequences. He became a man so that He could die, taking the punishment for all of our sin (Romans 6:23).

The great battle raging in the universe is between the Creator of all things and Satan, the angel who rebelled against God because he deemed himself equal with Christ, refusing to be subjected to His authority and government.

Sin on Earth

After Satan was driven from heaven, he turned his attention to the newly created Earth. He confronted Eve and convinced her that knowledge of good and evil would enable her to be like God. He told her that sin does not have the consequence of death. Eve chose to disobey God, and Earth has since been a planet in rebellion against the government of God.

John 8:44 says that Lucifer “was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.” His pride led to envy and his envy led to hatred. His hatred for Christ is so all consuming, that he murdered Christ. His hatred for those whom Christ has redeemed fuels the fires of pain and grief of this world.

Everyday we see and experience evil and pain caused by those who choose Satan over God. We didn't choose to be born, but still have to live with pain and sorrow.God would like us to learn from those experiences that choosing Satan as a master is a deadly choice. God hopes that by seeing the results of Satan’s government, we will make Christ, rather than Satan, our King.

Those who love and serve Christ are the enemies of Satan. Christ Himself tells us that a life lived for Him will be neither easy nor free of pain. But only through Him can we find true peace: “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In this world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

amazingdiscoveries.org

The Origin of Sin

Summary: Did God create sin? If not, where did it come from?

Why do bad things happen to good people? If God is a good God why doesn't He always intervene when bad things happen? This age-old question has haunted old and young when faced with devastating circumstances. It's easy to believe in a good God when things are going well, but when faced with situations where bad things seem to happen without any just cause, it is harder to maintain that belief. In fact, many people have become atheists over this very issue.

Is there an answer then that can help us understand why a good God or anyone with as much power as God doesn't do away with evil once and for all? This is not an easy question to answer because it requires that we have a look at the circumstances which God finds Himself in. To many, it will come as a surprise that God actually was once faced with a dilemma. The story of how this came to be starts long before the events in the garden of Eden.

In Ezekiel 28:15, we are told that God created the angel Lucifer perfectly. Just as God did not create rotten apples but only good apples, God did not create the devil; He created the angel Lucifer.

Lucifer is the originator of sin. He was perfect until he developed iniquity—a trait that God never put there.

Freedom of Choice

The Bible tells us that Lucifer was created perfect in all his ways. God did not create sin, or an imperfect being. There was no reason for Lucifer to fall from his exalted position. However, God gives His creatures freedom of choice and Lucifer chose to rebel against God’s government and authority.

God could have made angels and people so that they could not sin, like he made the stars to remain in their orbital positions. But He made us free agents, not robots. Without this freedom, His creatures would not be able to truly love God, for then they would only be programmed to love Him. God wants love that comes from a willing heart. He is not a God of force. He gave freedom to choose whether to obey or disobey, to love or to hate. Lucifer chose to hate.

Lucifer held an exalted position in heaven. He was the “anointed cherub that covereth” the throne of God. He was “full of wisdom and perfect in beauty” (Ezekiel 28:12-14). But Lucifer was proud of his beauty. Ezekiel 28:17 says this of Lucifer: “Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou has corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness.” His beauty went to his head and the seed of sin germinated.

Instead of glorifying God, Lucifer said in his heart, “I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit upon the mount of the congregation…I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High” (Isaiah 14:13-14).

When Lucifer rebelled against God, he was thrown from heaven and became Satan, “the adversary.”

If God had chosen to destroy Lucifer at that point, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. Lucifer’s influence and the spirit of rebellion would not have been fully eradicated. Instead, for the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages, God allowed Lucifer to fully develop his charges against the divine government so that they might be seen in their true light. Sin must run its course for its enormity to be fully abhorred; but it will eventually be eradicated, along with its instigator.

“Therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes…and never shalt thou be any more” (Ezekiel 28:18-19).

When God created this world and all its creatures, “God saw every thing that he had made, and behold, it was very good” (Genesis 1:31). God is not the author of sin, but He was willing to bear its consequences. He became a man so that He could die, taking the punishment for all of our sin (Romans 6:23).

The great battle raging in the universe is between the Creator of all things and Satan, the angel who rebelled against God because he deemed himself equal with Christ, refusing to be subjected to His authority and government.

Sin on Earth

After Satan was driven from heaven, he turned his attention to the newly created Earth. He confronted Eve and convinced her that knowledge of good and evil would enable her to be like God. He told her that sin does not have the consequence of death. Eve chose to disobey God, and Earth has since been a planet in rebellion against the government of God.

John 8:44 says that Lucifer “was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.” His pride led to envy and his envy led to hatred. His hatred for Christ is so all consuming, that he murdered Christ. His hatred for those whom Christ has redeemed fuels the fires of pain and grief of this world.

Everyday we see and experience evil and pain caused by those who choose Satan over God. We didn't choose to be born, but still have to live with pain and sorrow.God would like us to learn from those experiences that choosing Satan as a master is a deadly choice. God hopes that by seeing the results of Satan’s government, we will make Christ, rather than Satan, our King.

Those who love and serve Christ are the enemies of Satan. Christ Himself tells us that a life lived for Him will be neither easy nor free of pain. But only through Him can we find true peace: “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In this world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

amazingdiscoveries.org
God did not create sin...He defined what is was and what it does. Holiness and rebellion can not exist together in God's Holy Sphere. Sin brings decay and death. The first sin was pride (Isaiah 14:12-17) By Lucifer (Satan) Satan and the angels did not have a corruptible body, so they could not feel the pains of sin. So God made man in a body that could feel the results of sin, that man might turn to God and reject sin. God did not give us a body that He wanted, but we are a seed to becoming and receiving a glorified eternal body. That was God's plan. (1 Cor. 15:35-58).

phipps

Star
God did not create sin...He defined what is was and what it does. Holiness and rebellion can not exist together in God's Holy Sphere. Sin brings decay and death. The first sin was pride (Isaiah 14:12-17) By Lucifer (Satan) Satan and the angels did not have a corruptible body, so they could not feel the pains of sin. So God made man in a body that could feel the results of sin, that man might turn to God and reject sin. God did not give us a body that He wanted, but we are a seed to becoming and receiving a glorified eternal body. That was God's plan. (1 Cor. 15:35-58).
I know God did not create sin nor did I post that He did.

So God made man in a body that could feel the results of sin, that man might turn to God and reject sin. God did not give us a body that He wanted, but we are a seed to becoming and receiving a glorified eternal body.
When God created man He created them with perfect bodies. Remember man was created before sin came into this world. On top of that Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Life. That is why they lived for hundreds of years. Genesis 3:22-24 says, "Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life." Adam and Eve were evicted from the garden of Eden which was their home, and they could no longer eat from the Tree of Life because they had disobeyed God. Evidently, there was something in that tree that perpetuated life. And when man no longer had access to that tree, he began to die. The generations after Adam and Eve also lived long but the years kept getting shorter and shorter the farther away we got from the Tree of Life. During Adam and Eve's time people lived fro about 900 years give or take a few years from that across the board. Then it went down to down 600 years, 400 years, 300 years, 200 years. And now for most people its less than 100 years. We are lucky if we make to 80 or 90 years old. Also our height decreased.

God told Adam that he was going to have to work. The whole creation was altered because of sin. They could not eat from the Tree of Life any more. Now they were going to work hard for their bread and sweat from their brow and they would return to the dust they were created from. Man began to die. Our bodies deteriorated because of sin, but thankfully Jesus will give the righteous new bodies when He returns for His people. I want to be among those people. The Bible tells us we will have access to the tree of life again. God will recreate this planet to its original state of perfection before sin and the tree of Life will be back on earth.

Revelation 2:7, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” ’

Revelation 22:14, "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city."

Last edited:

phipps

Star
I'm not going to read that link you posted. I clicked on it but quickly realised its not biblical. I only believe in the God of the Bible. I'm not interested in anything that is inconsistent with the Bible. I believe the Word of God is infallible and is the truth and nothing but the truth. I don't mix and match my beliefs, picking and choosing what I agree with and discarding what I don't agree with.

John 1:1,14 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

I'm not going to read that link you posted. I clicked on it but quickly realised its not biblical. I only believe in the God of the Bible. I'm not interested in anything that is inconsistent with the Bible. I believe the Word of God is infallible and is the truth and nothing but the truth. I don't mix and match my beliefs, picking and choosing what I agree with and discarding what I don't agree with.
Why reply to me then?

The Bible has all kinds of polemics against the Mesopotamian/Babylonian religions. The Israelites came out of a neighboring area, the connection between the name of one of the moon-deities ("Sin") and the word for wrong-doing/evil being the same ("Sin") is just an interesting thing which is independent of opinion or worldview, it just is, that they both use the same word.

John 1:1,14 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."
"The Word" is "Logos" in Greek. Logos itself is a Neoplatonic concept taught by Philo of Alexander prior to the writing of the New Testament. The concept of Logos in Neoplatonism is near-identical to in the Christian Trinity.
The Father = The One
The Son = The Logos
The Holy Spirit = The Nous​

I don't know why you arbitrarily quoted John 1 there but it's a good segway, I guess.

John 1 debunks the idea that you can call the Bible itself the "word of God" because in Christian theology Jesus himself is "The word of God" not books written about him.