What is God's name? -Updated

Glad 2 know

Veteran
God has many titles The Almighty, Lord, God, the Creator, the Father, Allah, those are titles but obviously not his personal name. We all have our own personal names Sarah, John, Martha, Paul etc etc and our titles mother, father, sister, brother, teacher, chef, nurse, firefighter etc. What is God's name? It's not Elohim because that's the Hebrew word in plural for excellence, dignity and majesty. It's not Jesus either because that's the son of God. Jesus is a god but not God. If you've been taught God's personal name, please share with those that haven't learned it yet. Thanks

By the way I'm sure anyone that respects subjects that have to do with God, find it highly DISRESPECTFUL to joke around on the subject. It's not funny to joke around about God's name and I'm shocked you can joke about it with ease, no respect whatsoever.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
YHVH... JEHOVAH
And they know that Thou -- (Thy name is Jehovah -- by Thyself,) Art the Most High over all the earth!
PSALM 83:18

I AM
And God said to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM," and he said, "You shall tell the children of Israel this: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
EXODUS 3:14

TokiEl

Superstar
It's not Jesus either because that's the son of God. Jesus is a god but not God.
You are dead wrong !

Jesus is an English transliteration of the Hebrew Yeshua which is a late form of the Hebrew Yehoshua.

"The name Yehoshua has the form of a compound of "Yeho-" and "shua": Yeho- יְהוֹ‬ is another form of יָהו‬ Yahu, a theophoric element standing for the name of God יהוה (the Tetragrammaton YHWH, sometimes transcribed into English as Yahweh), and שׁוּעַ‬ shua‘ is a noun meaning "a cry for help", "a saving cry", that is to say, a shout given when in need of rescue. Together, the name would then literally mean, "YHWH (Yahu) is a saving-cry," that is to say, shout to YHWH [God] when in need of help." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua

Joel 2 32"And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."

Romans 10 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Matthew 1 18 "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

jesuschrist

God has many titles The Almighty, Lord, God, the Creator, the Father, Allah, those are titles but obviously not his personal name. We all have our own personal names Sarah, John, Martha, Paul etc etc and our titles mother, father, sister, brother, teacher, chef, nurse, firefighter etc. What is God's name? It's not Elohim because that's the Hebrew word in plural for excellence, dignity and majesty. It's not Jesus either because that's the son of God. Jesus is a god but not God. If you've been taught God's personal name, please share with those that haven't learned it yet. Thanks
god’s name iz white moon

TonyVanDam

Established
First of all, "God" is NOT a name. It's a job title, a status, and/or a rank.

Second of all [and to answer the question of this thread], the god's name is YHWH. The god's name has never been "Jehovah" because the letter J does not exist in the hebrew alphabet system.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
You are dead wrong !

Jesus is an English transliteration of the Hebrew Yeshua which is a late form of the Hebrew Yehoshua.

"The name Yehoshua has the form of a compound of "Yeho-" and "shua": Yeho- יְהוֹ‬ is another form of יָהו‬ Yahu, a theophoric element standing for the name of God יהוה (the Tetragrammaton YHWH, sometimes transcribed into English as Yahweh), and שׁוּעַ‬ shua‘ is a noun meaning "a cry for help", "a saving cry", that is to say, a shout given when in need of rescue. Together, the name would then literally mean, "YHWH (Yahu) is a saving-cry," that is to say, shout to YHWH [God] when in need of help." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua

Joel 2 32"And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."

Romans 10 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Matthew 1 18 "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”
Please don't tell me I'm dead wrong. You can disagree with what I say and state so but don't flat out refute me as wrong right away, it's preferable that you see more facts and then come to a conclusion.

I do agree with the Tetragrammaton YHWH. Since there are no vowels in the Hebrew alphabet, YHWH was translated by hebrew scholars as Yehwahʹ, Yehwihʹ, and Yeho·wah but scholars prefer the translation Yahweh and there's no animosity if the other translations are preferred. Yahweh means He Causes To Become from the imperfect state of the Hebrew verb ha wah' that means become. This name is rather fitting since he is the Creator and caused the earth to become, he created everything and because of him all things exist.

The name Jesus comes from the Hebrew Jeshua or Yeshua or the extended form Yehoshua meaning "Yahweh is salvation".

The name Jehovah is the preferred English translation from Yahweh. If you think about this, the English language doesn't have many words that start with the letter Y so it would also be easier and appropriate to use the name Jehovah.

God's name is found more than 6,000 times in the Bible.

TokiEl

Superstar
Please don't tell me I'm dead wrong. You can disagree with what I say and state so but don't flat out refute me as wrong right away, it's preferable that you see more facts and then come to a conclusion.

I do agree with the Tetragrammaton YHWH. Since there are no vowels in the Hebrew alphabet, YHWH was translated by hebrew scholars as Yehwahʹ, Yehwihʹ, and Yeho·wah but scholars prefer the translation Yahweh and there's no animosity if the other translations are preferred. Yahweh means He Causes To Become from the imperfect state of the Hebrew verb ha wah' that means become. This name is rather fitting since he is the Creator and caused the earth to become, he created everything and because of him all things exist.

The name Jesus comes from the Hebrew Jeshua or Yeshua or the extended form Yehoshua meaning "Yahweh is salvation".

The name Jehovah is the preferred English translation from Yahweh. If you think about this, the English language doesn't have many words that start with the letter Y so it would also be easier and appropriate to use the name Jehovah.

God's name is found more than 6,000 times in the Bible.

Remember the Godhead is Threefold like you yourself is threefold with a body soul and spirit.
Yet you say i am and the Godhead say I AM.

Mal 2:17
You have wearied Yehovah [the LORD] with your words;
Yet you say,
“In what way have we wearied Him?”
In that you say,
“Everyone who does evil
Is good in the sight of Yehovah [the LORD],
And He delights in them,”
Or, “Where is the elohiym [God] of justice?”

Malachi 3:1
“Behold, I send My messenger,
And he will prepare the way before Me.
And the adown [Lord], whom you seek,
Will suddenly come to His temple,
Even the mal'ak [Messenger] of the covenant,
In whom you delight.
Behold, He is coming,”
Says Yehovah [the Lord] of hosts.

Isaiah 40:3
The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
“Prepare the way of Yehovah [the Lord];
Make straight in the desert
A highway for our elohiym [God].

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
I like "I AM WHO I AM" for which i have my own personal interpretation which sounds " none of your business " and i believe God actually meant that. Knowing how God was annoyed with Israelites i find it entirely plausible... I do believe God shows similar character trait in Job40- 41, basically saying know your place...

I don't like YHWH because im not jewish, God or Lord is good enough for me to use in prayer.

sim hae

Established
You might benefit from reading this: The Name.
It's helped me when I was confused about all the sacred name variations.
God bless!

Glad 2 know

Veteran
You might benefit from reading this: The Name.
It's helped me when I was confused about all the sacred name variations.
God bless!
Thank you Sim Hae I did not mean to overlook this intentionally but I'm glad you shared it :) loved the info.
Even though this was an old post I did not want to not give you credit for the great info you provided.