What is God's name? -Updated

Yahda

Veteran
Out of darkness came the light.

Genesis 1 in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and desolate and there was DARKNESS upon the surface of the watery deep ( so darkness was already in existence).....v2 and God said LET THERE BE LIGHT. THEN there was light.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Well Hebrew names mean something. Moses meant "set apart" or "drew out". Abraham meant "father of many". Isaiah meant "(The Creator) is salvation". David's name meant beloved. So if "destruction/ruin" is part of what YOU say God's name is, what exactly is that saying?
I don't mean to be rude or mean to you but it seems you have comprehension troubles. I am explaining in simple terms and you still don't understand. What is it that you seek.
His name means "He causes to become" not "he causes not to become".
Here's a little bit of help.
https://www.behindthename.com/name/yahweh

But its you who says God's name is associated with destruction? How can you say Im focusing on the negative when you say God's name is negative (destruction)? I dont believe that the Creator wanted His name to be tied to destruction every time we called upon Him. On another note, if hovah meant death, do you think that the Creator of everything would want His name associated with death each time it was uttered? I dont. And same with "destruction/ruin". Thats the focus of this thread you created (I think). His Name.

I did not say his name is associated with destruction, YOU DID. (read my precious comments for comprehension)
You are focused on destruction and destruction only. You're Only saying hovah means destruction. Pointing out the obvious observation from reading your replies.
JEHOVAH= HE causes to become = obvious because he created ALL.

It has nothing to do with Him creating the universe, earth, oceans, flora, and fauna, though I do agree with this.

Out of darkness came the light.

Genesis 1 in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and desolate and there was DARKNESS upon the surface of the watery deep ( so darkness was already in existence).....v2 and God said LET THERE BE LIGHT. THEN there was light.
A more accurate translation of Genesis 1:1 would be:

In the beginning in which/when God separated the heavens and the earth …”

Reasons:

1: it concurs with contemporary comparative mythologies in the region.
2: the Hebrew word translated into "create" is ba-ra (בָּרָ֣א ), which means both "create" as well as "separate", but is in other parts of the Hebrew Bible used in a separating context, not a creative one.
3. It's linguistically more accurate.

(see Ellen Van Wolde)

The darkness of the earth was due to its separation from heaven. It does not imply that darkness preceded light in existence.

Who do you follow? El or YHWH?

Not to mention that shaddai from El Shaddai is derived from the semitic shadad (7703), which is related to destruction and death as well.
Agreed. But as I said, thats the thing about the Israelites. They believed that EVERYTHING came from their God not just one side of a spectrum.

Because the Most High was ignorant of what was above him, and ignorance births error, error births sin, the maintenance of and intention to sin is evil. He did say he "creates evil" because He is the creator of all things in this universe, including that which intends or seeks to maintain sin (fe. his son, the devil).
But in your belief system, who you believe to be the Creator would've had to "birth ignorance" for Him to even have the chance be ignorant. Its essentially polytheism to say that theres one that created good and another that created evil.

Do pay attention to the words used.

He creates (1254) darkness and creates evil.

Yet he forms (3335) the light, like a potter forms things from clay. The light was already there, just as the clay was. He is not the source of the light. He gives it shape.

He makes (6213) peace, but peace is negotiated with those who do war. When people want peace, they pray to the god of war, or negotiate with the adversary.
Scripture is not left up to private interpretation. The Truth is void to those who trespass (inserting self will into the sphere of divine authority)

I don't mean to be rude or mean to you but it seems you have comprehension troubles. I am explaining in simple terms and you still don't understand. What is it that you seek.
His name means "He causes to become" not "he causes not to become".
Here's a little bit of help.
https://www.behindthename.com/name/yahweh
From your link

Because it was considered blasphemous to utter the name of God, it was only written and never spoken, which resulted in the original pronunciation becoming lost. The name may have originally been derived from the old Semitic root הוה (hawah) meaning "to be" or "to become".

I know what His Name means. Im saying Yahweh/Jehovah does not mean that and are guesses (terrible guesses in terms of Jehovah) at that. And your link itself says what to be or to become is and it doesnt say its "hovah"

I did not say his name is associated with destruction, YOU DID. (read my precious comments for comprehension)
You are focused on destruction and destruction only. You're Only saying hovah means destruction. Pointing out the obvious observation from reading your replies.
JEHOVAH= HE causes to become = obvious because he created ALL.
Did I say that or did the strongs say that hovah means disaster/ruin?

hovah: a ruin, disaster

Original Word: הָוה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: hovah
Phonetic Spelling: (ho-vaw')
Definition: a ruin, disaster
https://biblehub.com/hebrew/1943.htm

So let me get this straight. You complain about me "not coming here to learn" yet when I show you the Hebrew definition of the word "hovah" and two other people show you what seemed to be proof or at least support to the belief that Jehovah was a 7-9th century creation, you have nothing to say about it? You just keep repeating that it means "he (causes) to be(come)"?' Hebrew doesnt work like that. For comparison, Isaiah's name means "God is salvation". The first part of his name is Yesha:

yesha: deliverance, rescue, salvation, safety, welfare

Original Word: יֶשַׁע
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: yesha
Phonetic Spelling: (yeh'-shah)
Definition: deliverance, rescue, salvation, safety, welfare
https://biblehub.com/hebrew/3468.htm

Yahda

Veteran
The name of God was not to be played with. You seriously could not take His name in vain. Legend even has it that the uttering of the name, especially used in vain could cause a heart attack or stroke. Things of that nature.

This is The God we are talking about, and His name isn’t to be played with. Therefor concluding we do not know or understand the name of The Most High God.

DavidSon

Star
It's difficult to discuss truth when there's such conflicting voices of who claims to be the author-ity on the Hebrew language.

The modern/Tiberian form of Hebrew, the understanding of the meanings of the sounds and words, is a warped version of the original Paleo-Hebrew, which was a Canaanite dialect, (categorized as Afro-asiatic):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afroasiatic_languages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo-Hebrew_alphabet

The people of the masoretic Hebrew today are CLEARLY not the same people who dwelt in Cannan and Egypt from 4- 15,000 years ago. No wonder they have no real insight into the source of the culture. Therefore we've received false pronunciations and other inventions- like that His Name wasn't to be written or spoken.

Thankfully we have evidence from texts such as the Dead Sea Scrolls and enough knowledge from comparative languages to infer qualities of (Biblical) Paleo-Hebrew. We don't have to be prisoners to the masoretic/rabbinical distortion of the Word. This video goes into great detail about how to pronounce and interpret ancient Hebrew (Ghabaray). It makes sense how simple the language was, and how easy it is to follow grammatically. It's really exciting to start looking at all this.

YHWH= YAOH
ELOHIM = ALA AYM

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
I agree. He's either totally new or he's trying to mislead. Thanks for the head's up :)
He said Exodus 3:14... not 34
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.​
This is what you are to say to the Israelites:​
I AM has sent me to you.’”​

The name of God was not to be played with. You seriously could not take His name in vain. Legend even has it that the uttering of the name, especially used in vain could cause a heart attack or stroke. Things of that nature.

This is The God we are talking about, and His name isn’t to be played with. Therefor concluding we do not know or understand the name of The Most High God.
Zephaniah 3:9
For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

I can agree with that. But I also dont think that means that we shouldnt give an effort to try and know His Name and not settle for the generic "god/lord"...

Agreed. But as I said, thats the thing about the Israelites. They believed that EVERYTHING came from their God not just one side of a spectrum.
That's what happens when the devil seizes god's throne.

But in your belief system, who you believe to be the Creator would've had to "birth ignorance" for Him to even have the chance be ignorant. Its essentially polytheism to say that theres one that created good and another that created evil.
Whatever conclusion you draw from it, you can not and believe the god of the Old Testament who claimed to create evil and the Father of Jesus Christ in the New Testament who only creates good.

That's what happens when the devil seizes god's throne.
Yea so the god you're telling me about has his throne seized and didnt create everything. Why should I worship him?
Whatever conclusion you draw from it, you can not and believe the god of the Old Testament who claimed to create evil and the Father of Jesus Christ in the New Testament who only creates good.
Well I already agreed with you on that point in this thread. The point that I went on to make is that whoever you claim the Creator is, still is responsible for evil. And not only did he create who you say created evil, but he allows it to continue. You cant attempt to absolve him of evil's existence by attributing it to someone else he created...

Yea so the god you're telling me about has his throne seized and didnt create everything. Why should I worship him?
You do worship him. It's El, the Most High. Unless you've changed since our last back and forth.

Well I already agreed with you on that point in this thread. The point that I went on to make is that whoever you claim the Creator is, still is responsible for evil. And not only did he create who you say created evil, but he allows it to continue. You cant attempt to absolve him of evil's existence by attributing it to someone else he created...
Creation implies intent. There was no intent of the Father to create evil. Evil came into being because of the Fall.

You do worship him. It's El, the Most High. Unless you've changed since our last back and forth.
No one I worship has had their throne seized

Creation implies intent. There was no intent of the Father to create evil. Evil came into being because of the Fall.
So the god you say I should be worshiping has had their throne seized, didn’t create everything and now didn’t have the foresight to know how evil could come into existence? Not a very compelling argument for worship imo

Hi Artful, Sin (Evil) is rebellion against God. God set a standard (His Standard) for man to live a Holy and peaceful life in fellowship with His creation. Evil comes from man (disobedience) by a free will to Choose. (Deut. Chapter 30) (Deut. 30:14-16). Man created evil by his disobedience (Gen. 6:4-7) Because man sinned by the nature of Adam (He is the head of all men) Death reigned, Later God gave the Commandments to show why men die, and then gave us Christ to annul death by those who accepted the Truth and Grace.

No one I worship has had their throne seized
So you don't worship El or YHWH. Interesting ...

So the god you say I should be worshiping has had their throne seized, didn’t create everything and now didn’t have the foresight to know how evil could come into existence? Not a very compelling argument for worship imo
I never implored you to worship any god. The Father in Heaven never had His throne seized and I never said the Father didn't have the prescience of what would happen.

Hi Artful, Sin (Evil) is rebellion against God. God set a standard (His Standard) for man to live a Holy and peaceful life in fellowship with His creation. Evil comes from man (disobedience) by a free will to Choose. (Deut. Chapter 30) (Deut. 30:14-16). Man created evil by his disobedience (Gen. 6:4-7) Because man sinned by the nature of Adam (He is the head of all men) Death reigned, Later God gave the Commandments to show why men die, and then gave us Christ to annul death by those who accepted the Truth and Grace.
Hey Douglas,

Disobedience is not the source of evil. Adam and Eve disobeyed the god of Eden, but they obeyed the serpent. If disobeying God is evil, then would obeying evil acts of God be good? Is something God does good because it's God who does it?

I agree that rebellion against God is evil, but rebellion against God is an intent from knowledge, there is also non-intent from ignorance. In the fullness of Heaven no knowledge of God can evoke rebellion because the Fullness is perfect. In Christian cosmology, it's when Wisdom tried to experience union with the Father through reason alone that the Fall was triggered which led to imperfection. From this falling away ignorance of the Father was born, from which error, sin and evil are derived.