What is God's name? -Updated

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

The Creator is in control of both good AND evil. He brings to life and He takes. There isn’t a competition between God and Satan
Do pay attention to the words used.

He creates (1254) darkness and creates evil.

Yet he forms (3335) the light, like a potter forms things from clay. The light was already there, just as the clay was. He is not the source of the light. He gives it shape.

He makes (6213) peace, but peace is negotiated with those who do war. When people want peace, they pray to the god of war, or negotiate with the adversary.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Glad 2 know,

Jehovah is a Masoretic invention from the 8th-9th century AD. There's no scientific controversy on this issue.
I agree with the Masoretic part. I believe Jehovah is the transliteration of the name Yahweh. English speakers don't really use the Y in their vocabulary so using the name that uses the letter J makes more sense as far as pronunciation goes.

Last edited:

DavidSon

Star
@Artful Revealer

I wanted to comment on something you said in the other thread about the sacred name.

Your statement about Christians not "needing" the name of YHWH sounds inflammatory, but history pretty much backs up the idea of this belief. Looking at dozens and dozens of translations of the Septuagint and Vulgate, Kyreos (Lord) or some variant was universally inserted in place of His Name by Christians. It's obvious the early Christians wanted to create a clean break between themselves and the Jews.

Last week I ran across the same thing you were mentioning, that "Chrestos" or "good" for Jesus was the common and original title given by the Greeks, not "anointed". Again, controversial subject but in references from the large group of authors of the time-period, grave-stones marked with the phrase- there is a lot of evidence worth investigating. As with the name YHWH the Greeks may have been distancing themselves from the Hebrew wording/concept of Messiah altogether.

Do pay attention to the words used.

He creates (1254) darkness and creates evil.

Yet he forms (3335) the light, like a potter forms things from clay. The light was already there, just as the clay was. He is not the source of the light. He gives it shape.

He makes (6213) peace, but peace is negotiated with those who do war. When people want peace, they pray to the god of war, or negotiate with the adversary.
Mind expounding on your point? Im not following.Are you using this to say that the Entity that Israel worshiped wasnt/isnt the same as the Creator of All things?

Mind expounding on your point? Im not following.Are you using this to say that the Entity that Israel worshiped wasnt/isnt the same as the Creator of All things?
It says "create evil and create darkness", but not "create good, create light".

The Gospel tells us evil cannot come from, be created by, God.

Luke 18:19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.​

Luke 6:43 "No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.​

God is light, and light doesn't cast darkness. Darkness is the absence of light. If God is void of darkness, creating darkness would go against His nature. If God is void of evil, creating evil would go against His nature.

1 John 1:5 God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.​

Hence, there is a clear and logically incompatible discrepancy between the god in Isaiah and the Father revealed by Christ.

DavidSon

Star

Luke 18:19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.​

God is light, and light doesn't cast darkness. Darkness is the absence of light. If God is void of darkness, creating darkness would go against His nature. If God is void of evil, creating evil would go against His nature.

Hence, there is a clear and logically incompatible discrepancy between the god in Isaiah and the Father revealed by Christ.
Hence, there is a clear and logically incompatible discrepancy between the god in Isaiah and the Father revealed by Christ
Yeah you lost me here. It's an expression man. The Almighty creates light and dark, allows good and bad to exist. Jesus's ministry was to uplift the lost sheep of Israel to praise YHWH, first and foremost. The Christians tried to write over the true name, just like the 2nd century BC Jews and later masorites tried to hide the name and invent a tradition that the name couldn't be said or written. They were both in the wrong.

GOD is ONE.

Yahda

Veteran
2 different books. 2 totally different God/gods. How long have I been saying this ?

One god is all about peace, love, saving, turn the other cheek, while THE GOD is balanced as with everything in nature. When I began to understand this it made more sense as to what a God was and is.

One god, turn the other cheek. The God, an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, hand for a hand (exodus 21:24)

The God “THY (my) will be done”, the other god “ do as thou wilt”...the law has been done away with.

Most have already decided who they will worship. Not realizing there will come a time where we will need saving from all the monsters, giants, beasts, and other entities that will enter or be released into this realm.

Who are you rolling with ? Team turn the other cheek god, or the God of war, vengeance, POWER, (and of course mercy, love and forgiveness).....I told you all last time, it’s about to be a showdown. Choose wisely.

Last edited:
Yeah you lost me here. It's an expression man. The Almighty creates light and dark, allows good and bad to exist. Jesus's ministry was to uplift the lost sheep of Israel to praise YHWH, first and foremost. The Christians tried to write over the true name, just like the 2nd century BC Jews and later masorites tried to hide the name and invent a tradition that the name couldn't be said or written. They were both in the wrong.

GOD is ONE.
The nuance in vocabulary is very significant.

God in Isaiah doesn't say he created good but evil, yet:

1 Timothy 4:4 For everything God created is good.

If according to the Gospel everything God created is good, then God didn't create anything evil. This is basic logics. God doesn't deal in expressions, He deals in Logos. Unless in your eyes good and evil are the same, you can't logically rebut this point.

Last edited:

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
hm.... you guys are missing a fundamental point... we may not even be able to pronounce God's actual name, let alone translate it into written words. I mean, let us take the example of the kalahari desert people, made famous by the movie "the gods must be crazy", they use clicking sounds that the best way to "write" them is use !! points and it's almost impossible for any of us here to speak properly. Plus if you know a little bit about occultism you know that the wizards evoke demons using sigils to call them because them symbolize the closest of their true name.

What I mean is that it's kinda of pointless to think about God's actual name. Being respectful to Him and living by his teachings is what matters in the end

EDIT: Try to pronouce "Chtulhu". The thing had tentacles for its mouth, chtulhu is the best aproximation for what our human apparatus can produce, and it is still a far cry from the original sound

2 different books. 2 totally different God/gods. How long have I been saying this ?

One god is all about peace, love, saving, turn the other cheek, while THE GOD is balanced as with everything in nature. When I began to understand this it made more sense as to what a God was and is.

One god, turn the other cheek. The God, an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, hand for a hand (exodus 21:24)

The God “THY (my) will be done”, the other god “ do as thou wilt”...the law has been done away with.

Most have already decided who they will worship. Not realizing there will come a time where we will need saving from all the monsters, giants, beasts, and other entities that will enter or be released into this realm.

Who are you rolling with ? Team turn the other cheek god, or the God of war, vengeance, POWER, (and of course mercy, love and forgiveness).....I told you all last time, it’s about to be a showdown. Choose wisely.
2 different books, 3 different gods. Which one will you side with? El or YHWH?

Yahda

Veteran
2 different books, 3 different gods. Which one will you side with? El or YHWH?

2 different books, many different gods. Which will I side with ? The Creator of all things of course. The God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. The God of war( darkness) and peace ( light) !

When the different beings, monsters, giants and other entities spoken of in the Bible are unleashed unto this planet to destroy, what are you going to do “ turn the other cheek “ ? Lol. Good Luck with your good god ! I serve the God of “it’s a time and place for everything”.

(Ecclesiastes 3) There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Yahda

Veteran
So, El or YHWH?

Repost of mines from the yah or Jah OP

“Do I believe God name is YAHWEH etc.....It’s a no for me. Although I carry the title in my name it’s just that. Another title.

When “Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them,The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?”

God said unto Moses, “ I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all”

He chose to be referenced as “ the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob” Not because that was his name. IT’S WHO HE WAS, AM, IS”

Glad 2 know

Veteran
But I thought hovah meant mischief?

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/1943.htm

hovah: a ruin, disaster

Original Word: הָוה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: hovah
Phonetic Spelling: (ho-vaw')
Definition: a ruin, disaster
That's what you thought but is that what you know? Be careful of the ones that want to deceive and even if that is the real meaning of hovah, it's still only half a name not the whole name JEHOVAH.
The HOLY BIBLE mentions Jehovah or even Jah. I have yet to read the name hovah anywhere in the Holy Word.
Even if God does bring destruction, that's not the only thing he has brought or that he will bring.
DO NOT acknowledge the fact that he created THE UNIVERSE, THE EARTH, THE OCEANS, THE FLORA and FAUNA.
Keep focusing on the NEGATIVE instead of the positive. Totally disregard the fact that he CREATED FIRST.

I don't like to talk to people that focus on the negative, that's exactly what the god of this wicked system wants, for people to focus on the negative, the dark thinking so that they don't give a though to the nice and beautiful things from God.

DavidSon

Star
hm.... you guys are missing a fundamental point... we may not even be able to pronounce God's actual name, let alone translate it into written words. I mean, let us take the example of the kalahari desert people, made famous by the movie "the gods must be crazy", they use clicking sounds that the best way to "write" them is use !! points and it's almost impossible for any of us here to speak properly. Plus if you know a little bit about occultism you know that the wizards evoke demons using sigils to call them because them symbolize the closest of their true name.

What I mean is that it's kinda of pointless to think about God's actual name. Being respectful to Him and living by his teachings is what matters in the end

EDIT: Try to pronouce "Chtulhu". The thing had tentacles for its mouth, chtulhu is the best aproximation for what our human apparatus can produce, and it is still a far cry from the original sound
Naturally we're speaking from our own perspective. As was said, there are many names for God and the concept of a higher power in every nation across the world.

My personal interest is in YHWH of the Hebrew people, and the tradition that led to Yeshua and his teaching which became the most popular religion on earth.

Thinking about the names it's a curious subject. These sounds were inspired in our ancestors and passed along. Some say we should listen for the name of the Almighty One within, but I will also forever cherish the understandings we've inherited. Paz.

I agree that theres a difference. It took me a long time to accept but now it is what it is. Isaiah and all the other prophets believed that EVERYTHING in existence came from the Creator of All things. While you believe only good comes from the father you say "Christ" revealed. But even running with your logic, the Most High of Israel could only form evil from things that existed before Him right? How can He be created then create something that did not exist before Him?

That's what you thought but is that what you know? Be careful of the ones that want to deceive and even if that is the real meaning of hovah, it's still only half a name not the whole name JEHOVAH.
Well Hebrew names mean something. Moses meant "set apart" or "drew out". Abraham meant "father of many". Isaiah meant "(The Creator) is salvation". David's name meant beloved. So if "destruction/ruin" is part of what YOU say God's name is, what exactly is that saying?

The HOLY BIBLE mentions Jehovah or even Jah. I have yet to read the name hovah anywhere in the Holy Word.
Even if God does bring destruction, that's not the only thing he has brought or that he will bring.
DO NOT acknowledge the fact that he created THE UNIVERSE, THE EARTH, THE OCEANS, THE FLORA and FAUNA.
Keep focusing on the NEGATIVE instead of the positive. Totally disregard the fact that he CREATED FIRST.

I don't like to talk to people that focus on the negative, that's exactly what the god of this wicked system wants, for people to focus on the negative, the dark thinking so that they don't give a though to the nice and beautiful things from God.
But its you who says God's name is associated with destruction? How can you say Im focusing on the negative when you say God's name is negative (destruction)? I dont believe that the Creator wanted His name to be tied to destruction every time we called upon Him. On another note, if hovah meant death, do you think that the Creator of everything would want His name associated with death each time it was uttered? I dont. And same with "destruction/ruin". Thats the focus of this thread you created (I think). His Name.

It has nothing to do with Him creating the universe, earth, oceans, flora, and fauna, though I do agree with this.

Repost of mines from the yah or Jah OP

“Do I believe God name is YAHWEH etc.....It’s a no for me. Although I carry the title in my name it’s just that. Another title.

When “Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them,The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?”

God said unto Moses, “ I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all”

He chose to be referenced as “ the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob” Not because that was his name. IT’S WHO HE WAS, AM, IS”
How do you tell the difference between El and YHWH?

Well Hebrew names mean something. Moses meant "set apart" or "drew out". Abraham meant "father of many". Isaiah meant "(The Creator) is salvation". David's name meant beloved. So if "destruction/ruin" is part of what YOU say God's name is, what exactly is that saying?
Not to mention that shaddai from El Shaddai is derived from the semitic shadad (7703), which is related to destruction and death as well.

I agree that theres a difference. It took me a long time to accept but now it is what it is. Isaiah and all the other prophets believed that EVERYTHING in existence came from the Creator of All things. While you believe only good comes from the father you say "Christ" revealed. But even running with your logic, the Most High of Israel could only form evil from things that existed before Him right? How can He be created then create something that did not exist before Him?
Because the Most High was ignorant of what was above him, and ignorance births error, error births sin, the maintenance of and intention to sin is evil. He did say he "creates evil" because He is the creator of all things in this universe, including that which intends or seeks to maintain sin (fe. his son, the devil).