What is FAITH... and Etymology?

elsbet

Superstar
Rather than continue the derailment...

I disagree that faith is a gift from God, that view sounds like Calvinism. Anyways no need to make a thread. The bible says grace is a gift from God, and that faith comes by hearing the Word of God. Hearing the gospel preached draws people to him.
You may want to read the info posted from the concordance, again-- you're missing the cooperative aspect; or you didn't read it, at all.
This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

No one can come to me unless the Father persuades him...

See John 6:44 and Ephesians 2:8-10, in addition to Gal. 3:2

You are certainly welcome to your opinion though, concerning that for which you can and cannot take credit.

Etymology
the study of the history and derivations of words.

Using a concordance to better understand the (etymology of the) language in which the bible is written (and etc.), isn't what most consider consulting an outside or extra-biblical resource.
It's also useful in researching old, incorrect Catholic interpretations inconsistent with the rest of the bible.
Interesting sidebar:
... hearing by or through the word of Christ. The word hearing can be literal or figurative, in this context-- it is all quite worth studying.

-

Bubbajay

Veteran
I don't need a concordance to tell me what faith is. I just let the bible do so, and Hebrews 11 does just that. A concordance isn't a dictionary, on the preface of every concordance it says its not a dictionary, they should only be used to see where similar words are used throughout the text.