What has hook up culture done for you?

Maes17

Superstar
I’m not really sure why this seems to be bothering some of you to the extent it does...

I never participated in hook up culture and it has had no bearing on my life, no one had a problem with it and it never held me back from anything.

The girls I know who participated the MOST and I mean shocking numbers of partners are all now at 30+ married with children. At the very least in long term monogamous relationships.

It’s a phase I suspect teens/young adults have gone through for eternity just made more visible and easy by current technology. The term “sowing wild outs” was created 100’s of years ago after all. People grow up, they mature and they move on. If it isn’t for you abstain from it, I did and like I said it didn’t negatively effect me at all.
Same. It all goes in the way you approach and the setting.
There's a lot of good people out there. Just gotta know where to look

ishigo

Established
I think it's a fine line between sexual repression which is bad, and sexual recklessness which is bad. The proverbial pendulum may have swung too far in one direction as a response to the sexual oppressiveness that governed society ( badly ) for thousands of years, but eventually we'll find the balance.
I think that's the the revolution of may 68. Before that, women didn't have birth control so when they did they started to go from one extreme to another, being totally repressed to sexually "liberated".

ishigo

Established
I think hook-up culture is a problem for many reasons because now people expect others to sleep with them like they go to the bakery to buy pastries. And if you don't want to engage in it, you're labeled a "prude". When the reality is nobody should feel obligated to have sex, under any circumstances(see my thread "men are socialized to be rapists"). I don't want to engage in any way with people who think I "owe" them anything, I find it repulsive.
Worse, some guys want the benefits of being in an actual relationships without the engagement. Meaning they want you to baby them, stroke their egos, have sex with them, go to dinner, all while not being commited in any way.

Dating in itself is already a messy road, but hook-up culture has brought a new level of confusion bc as much as people want to claim it's just about sex, it never really is. People are going to scam you not just physically but also emotionally.