What good is a good god, when people want an evil god?

Robin

Veteran
It’s a forum, anyone can say what they like. :)

You would want to miss out on all the good of life? Because there are really good things in life too.
Not to sound like a drip but I don't think I'll get to experience any of those good things. A family for one. Traditional values have declined so drastically that anyone who considers that to be requisite to building a future is pretty stuffed. That's pretty much the world people just becoming adults (like me) are walking into.

Lisa

Superstar
Not to sound like a drip but I don't think I'll get to experience any of those good things. A family for one. Traditional values have declined so drastically that anyone who considers that to be requisite to building a future is pretty stuffed. That's pretty much the world people just becoming adults (like me) are walking into.
You know the Bible tells us that even in the days like we have now...people will still be eating and drinking and they will still be getting married. Life will still go on. I can see that it could be hard to find someone but it has always seemed hard to find someone.

My daughters friend is getting married in September, my niece just got married in March. I live in a neighborhood full of families. That’s not gone away no matter the news of the day.

Robin

Veteran
You know the Bible tells us that even in the days like we have now...people will still be eating and drinking and they will still be getting married. Life will still go on. I can see that it could be hard to find someone but it has always seemed hard to find someone.

My daughters friend is getting married in September, my niece just got married in March. I live in a neighborhood full of families. That’s not gone away no matter the news of the day.
Your optimism is great but it just doesn't really click with me personally. I think because of my age and my surroundings, I've been so saturated with the worst possible renderings of modern culture and its impact on dating and marriage that I'm just put off. It's alright though, there are a million other things I could spend my energy on besides raising a family I'd feel honestly guilty about bringing into this world.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
Your main point is dumb. With or without religion you will always have tyranny/injustice in this world..therefore war and bloodshed becomes necessary to achieve a more lasting peace and establish justice.

I thought gnostics understand that the material delusion is the primary enemy?
If there is a force that pushes the material delusion onto us (eg capitalism) and brings mass destruction of natural habitats and spreads pollution...do you do nothing or fight against it?

Gnostics died because they didn't fight. They allowed evil to overcome good (from their pov) by being passive In the face of persecution.
Interesting response. I'm not sure I agree, but +1 for unique, authentic perspective.

Lisa

Superstar
Your optimism is great but it just doesn't really click with me personally. I think because of my age and my surroundings, I've been so saturated with the worst possible renderings of modern culture and its impact on dating and marriage that I'm just put off. It's alright though, there are a million other things I could spend my energy on besides raising a family I'd feel honestly guilt about bringing into this world.
My optimism comes partly from experience. I know what it’s like to be young and thinking I would never find someone and thinking I wouldn’t like to bring kids into this world. But I also know that I did find someone and I did bring kids into this world. The other part of that optimism comes from God because with God nothing is impossible!

elsbet

Superstar
Your optimism is great but it just doesn't really click with me personally. I think because of my age and my surroundings, I've been so saturated with the worst possible renderings of modern culture and its impact on dating and marriage that I'm just put off. It's alright though, there are a million other things I could spend my energy on besides raising a family I'd feel honestly guilt about bringing into this world.
I like @Lisa 's perspective but I identify with yours.

Robin

Veteran
My optimism comes partly from experience. I know what it’s like to be young and thinking I would never find someone and thinking I wouldn’t like to bring kids into this world. But I also know that I did find someone and I did bring kids into this world. The other part of that optimism comes from God because with God nothing is impossible!
I'm always happy for people who were able to have that, but the truth is it's just not the same for people looking for anything serious today. Thank you though, for the positivity.

Vytas

Star
I'm always happy for people who were able to have that, but the truth is it's just not the same for people looking for anything serious today. Thank you though, for the positivity.
Perhaps you looking in wrong places ? Or your expectations are unrealistic ? World is full of good people, despite what talking heads tell you..

Lisa

Superstar
God can bring good from any situation..even when they seem hopeless, Robin, I hope one day soon you’ll see that in your life! :)

Robin

Veteran
Perhaps you looking in wrong places ? Or your expectations are unrealistic ? World is full of good people, despite what talking heads tell you..
The problem is that people being good doesn't necessarily equate to compatibility. There could be many good people who I disagree with on things pertinent to relationships especially when the ethics surrounding relationships and especially sex are constantly being redefined. It doesn't make them bad people. And I don't think my standards are too high, or they wouldn't have been maybe a decade back.

He bled and was dead 3 days and more importantly God accepted it. He is still God and is sitting at the right hand of God.

Without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins it’s a big deal to sin against God.

So it is you...I thought so!
You are a good liar.

Regards
DL

Lisa

Superstar
You are a good liar.

Regards
DL
Am I? What did I lie about? It was you in that comment you posted on another site..that was nice of you btw to try to comfort a grieving man..I didn’t know you could actually be nice..and I think he said they were Episcopalian?

Everything I said about God is true.

Am I? What did I lie about? It was you in that comment you posted on another site..that was nice of you btw to try to comfort a grieving man..I didn’t know you could actually be nice..and I think he said they were Episcopalian?

Everything I said about God is true.
More lies about a supernatural entity that cannot be known.

Only really big fools will read a myth literally.

Regards
DL

Lisa

Superstar
More lies about a supernatural entity that cannot be known.

Only really big fools will read a myth literally.

Regards
DL
But God can be known and wants to be known! Only a few people can really know a queen or a president, but the great thing about God is He is God but He wants all of us to know Him personally...can’t beat that.

But God can be known and wants to be known! Only a few people can really know a queen or a president, but the great thing about God is He is God but He wants all of us to know Him personally...can’t beat that.
If a god wanted to be known, he would be.

Stop lying about and putting limits to a god you do not know. Lying is a sin that you seem to really enjoy.

Regards
DL

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
If a god wanted to be known, he would be.

Stop lying about and putting limits to a god you do not know. Lying is a sin that you seem to really enjoy.

Regards
DL
Because you have no personal relationship with God, you appear to be under the impression that nobody else could have either. This is a strange view, and relates to the “theory of mind” as much as the usual accusations of lying.

It is quite possible for one person to have genuine experiences which we may not share. You may have never witnessed somebody healed after praying for them. I have on a number of occasions. Telling me that could not have happened because you don’t believe in it does nothing to take away from the reality of my experience.

Perhaps the difficulties of theory of mind experienced by people on the Autistic Spectrum might illustrate this better...

Last edited: