What Does This Marilyn Manson Quote Mean To You?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Alice came from a religious family with his father being a member of the clergy. He's just going home, coming full circle, returning to the flock. As for Marilyn, I wonder how much of his life is theatrics without any substance. If he truly lives the beliefs he expounds, there is hope for him as you say. The Christianity club is very forgiving and accepting.
"All have sinned..."

I guess 1 Corinthians 1 says it best...

"25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."

Reactions: Dan

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
So ironic that Alice Cooper became a Christian! There is hope for Marilyn Manson yet!!!

Had come across this around the time of Glen Campbell's passing; gives a bit more insight into Alice's personality. Though I wonder, about his current connections with Johnny Depp.

Interview with Alice Cooper on late musician Glen Campbell

makeorbreak

Established
That video show down to earth Alice Cooper is. He not only played golf with Glen Campbell but also with Bing Crosby, definitely someone not of the same musical ilk. This just proves he isn't at all like the person you see on the stage. It is a persona he plays. For Johnny Depp, the Hollywood Vampires is a musical connection. As a Christian, you look for the best in a person and try to be a good role model no matter how messed up the other person may be. Jesus was also criticized for spending time with a tax collector and other less than reputable persons.

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
That video show down to earth Alice Cooper is. He not only played golf with Glen Campbell but also with Bing Crosby, definitely someone not of the same musical ilk. This just proves he isn't at all like the person you see on the stage. It is a persona he plays. For Johnny Depp, the Hollywood Vampires is a musical connection. As a Christian, you look for the best in a person and try to be a good role model no matter how messed up the other person may be. Jesus was also criticized for spending time with a tax collector and other less than reputable persons.
Yes, Alice seems down-to-earth, that's why I posted it :). My concern with Johnny Depp was because of how dark inside he is right now, not like his earlier days - so what does this mean for Alice? I'm not speaking as a Christian here, but can God use Alice to be a helpful influence on Johnny? That would be great. Admittedly, we never know what is going on behind the scenes but [entertainment] connections higher up is not usually by happenstance. As with everything, time will tell.

Dan

Veteran
"Prick your finger it is done...
the moon has now eclipsed the sun...
the angel has spread its wings...
the time has come for bitter things..."

I thought the point behind this discussion was for people to give their ideas on what the lyrics meant. So, to steer this away from the childish insults being exchanged, I will say what I believe Marilyn Manson is singing about. He is referring to the end of the world when the world will be plunged into darkness and the apocolypse begins. That said, he is a talented entertainer but that's all he is. He deserves no special status above that. And, let's face it, he isn't the first to explore this genre of entertainment. Marilyn Manson owes his chance to fame to his more talented predecessor, Alice Cooper.
True. Alice Cooper has much more depth and originality. He virtually turned "reborn" into an art form within a heavy rock medium. Check out his music from late '90s onwards. Incredible. Maybe too preachy but even without following the Gospels or going to Church he found a lifelong fan in me.

Dan

Veteran
Just like to say: I absolutely LOVE Alice Cooper, and don't condemn religion. I get passionate when it is abused, and Alice is the nicest guy on the planet, and one of the best shock rockers of Grand Guignol. Wild contradiction.

Dan

Veteran
I know this is little fare or redemption for my nasty comments, but Bowie's dabbling in Muslim imagery made me think again. I LOVE this song:

This won't "seal the breach" between cultures but is something to think about, at least for me.

Dan

Veteran
Had come across this around the time of Glen Campbell's passing; gives a bit more insight into Alice's personality. Though I wonder, about his current connections with Johnny Depp.

Interview with Alice Cooper on late musician Glen Campbell

Check out his Vengeance is Mine video on YouTube. One eye symbols everywhere. I wonder who's side he is on:

Last edited:

Dan

Veteran
"Prick your finger it is done...
the moon has now eclipsed the sun...
the angel has spread its wings...
the time has come for bitter things..."

I thought the point behind this discussion was for people to give their ideas on what the lyrics meant. So, to steer this away from the childish insults being exchanged, I will say what I believe Marilyn Manson is singing about. He is referring to the end of the world when the world will be plunged into darkness and the apocolypse begins. That said, he is a talented entertainer but that's all he is. He deserves no special status above that. And, let's face it, he isn't the first to explore this genre of entertainment. Marilyn Manson owes his chance to fame to his more talented predecessor, Alice Cooper.
Yeah well I thought so too. The chocolypse is the end of sweeties for most of these fools. Most couldn't handle the real deal and would need a nuclear underground bunker of junk food to live. Me, I just need vegetables and fruit. If that is gone... beans. Inherit the Wind.

I'm not much of a fan of Manson. He's an Alice Cooper that takes himself too seriously and I don't find his lyrics all that deep but then again, I'm not a fan of most corporate anti-authoritarian rock and roll. To paraphrase Crass, it's school boy sedation backed by big time promoters. A nice, pre-packaged rebellion with no teeth and no spirit.

The Dead Kennedys were likely the biggest band to actually have something to say... And most bands that have something to say aren't big. Thankfully, with the power of the internet, it's no longer something hidden by mailing lists and hole in the wall record stores. If you want real rock and roll rebellion check out the aforementioned Crass and Dead Kennedys, Amebix, Tau Cross, the UK Anthrax (not the American thrash metal band, but the British punk one), Rudimentary Peni, and the like.

Also, avoid Crowley, unless it gets you towards folks like Spare, Carroll, and chaos magic in general. While I wouldn't recommend dabbling in the occult in the first place, most folks I've know who were into Crowley got into even darker stuff and with that came unhappiness and self-destructive behavior. At least practice an occult belief system that focuses on personal growth, without exploiting others...

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
Check out his Vengeance is Mine video on YouTube. One eye symbols everywhere. I wonder who's side he is on:

A bit hard for me to stomach . . . anyway at 1:31, I noticed a fetus seemingly attached by the umbilical cord to an eye (there are actually two fetuses I noticed in the video). And yes, noticed a bunch of eyes and crosses mostly.

Dan

Veteran
A bit hard for me to stomach . . . anyway at 1:31, I noticed a fetus seemingly attached by the umbilical cord to an eye (there are actually two fetuses I noticed in the video). And yes, noticed a bunch of eyes and crosses mostly.
The fetus is life. If life offends you, get an abortion.

Dan

Veteran
Uh, I was just mentioning how it was depicted in the video?
Hey, life is ugly. I mean the sex act is either grotesque or comical, desperate or digusting. Because humans have distorted the view of life. Ever seen Eraserhead? Yuk. Not nice.

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
Oh yeah. Looks like fetus. So what? Those one-eyes everywhere are serious alliance to your enemy.
I'll just make one more comment on it :). Yes, I'm well aware of the eye symbol - we're on VC's site, right? Anyway, the fetus is attached to an eye (or what looks to be one anyway), which I thought was significant.

Dan

Veteran
I'll just make one more comment on it :). Yes, I'm well aware of the eye symbol - we're on VC's site, right? Anyway, the fetus is attached to an eye (or what looks to be one anyway), which I thought was significant.
OK. Weird, huh? Didn't really look at it too close. What do you think it is a metaphor for? Because either everything is metaphor these days or Alice is just trying to be disgusting in a mindless B-movie manner. Maybe it means babies see the world the way it really is. Seems growing up removes all this psychic phenomena. Third-eye.