What does the Koran actually say about prayer?

shankara

Star
Haich once explained it here:

“My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never miss me, and that what misses me was never meant for me.” – Imam Shafi’i
Well I think there are two sides to the whole free will equation. On the one hand, we certainly have some power (over ourselves, not the weather etc), on the other we are kind of conditioned biological robots responding to things in accordance with our conditioning.

A case I would suggest to be illuminating would be somebody who is subject to some very heavy conditioning, say they are brought up in a Christian household, go to a Christian school, whatever, to the point where they have a strong visceral and emotional reaction to any other religion, including (and probably particularly Islam). How can you say that this person has a genuine choice whether or not to practice Islam? They cannot break free from such heavy conditioning, it's so deep in them that they have no other possibility of reaction.

Then another case, someone who raised in Islam. For them it is very easy to believe, very easy to practice, they will feel comfortable in the practise, it will seem normal to them.

Now the question you need to answer is why is one person born in a circumstance where they have no real possibility of "believing" and another in one where it is easy to believe? So perhaps you answer "oh it is God's will, God can choose whoever he wants, do whatever he wants etc". In doing so you are creating this anthropomorphic deity who likes some people, dislikes others. To me this is what you would call "shirk".

In order for any Divinity to be genuinely Just, He would have to account for the inequality of the circumstances into which people are born. If you really think it through, the only way this could happen is through the process of reincarnation, karma. Cause and effect, action reaction, "reap what you sow".

Actually I would go further and say that it would be necessary that belief not be the criteria for salvation. Belief may be helpful in making people believe in ethical ways and not fall into complete debauchery, however it isn't something that takes effort (except the occasional anti-effort of trying to ignore logic), it isn't the same thing as leading an ethical life. And surely living a good is really the only objective and Just criteria of judgement?

I'm all for prayer, I'm favourable to most manifestations of religion, even the Abrahamic ones to an extent. Prayer helps us to be decent people, opens us up to light, harmony, wisdom. Unfortunately the dogmatic beliefs of the exoteric religions do the exact opposite, they are limiting rather than liberating.

shankara

Star
Haich once explained it here:

“My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never miss me, and that what misses me was never meant for me.” – Imam Shafi’i
So I kind of went off topic a bit. But I literally don't think there is any real possibility of reconciling free will and predestination, outside of blatant sophistry (i.e. the "logic" of most theologians).

A Freeman

Star
For The Self-Existing ONE Who exists outside of time and space – neither of which existed before He created them – it is possible to see everything that was, is and will be in a single glance.

Being able to see everything that could happen and/or will happen doesn't require or preclude participating in those events. In other words, God can create the setting, give His created Sons/Angels/Spirit-Beings free-will, and then merely observe those events until such a time as He chooses to (or not to) intervene.

Anyone who has paid attention to how prophecy is written – all of which is in the Old Covenant and New Covenant (which is part of the reason why the Koran instructs its readers that they MUST read the Bible) – will notice that it contains at least two possible paths/outcomes, leaving the free-will choice to us.

It's amazing this is so difficult to understand, particularly given we have for years had video game programmers and video game players. The former obviously knows every possible move and the pre-determined outcomes those moves will produce in the game they constructed, while the latter still has the free-will to play the game however they see fit.

Daze

Established
But more to the point, what is it that you seek to achieve in making such threads attacking Islam?
Its interesting, how some self proclaimed "followers of Jesus" choose to attack others rather then propagate their own beliefs. Like they have to break others down before they can build themselves up? So much for "love thy neighbor".

For what its worth, they are yet another proof of Islam.

"You will surely be tested in your possessions and in yourselves. And you will surely hear from those who were given the Scripture before you and from those who associate others with Allah much abuse. But if you are patient and fear Allah - indeed, that is of the matters [worthy] of determination." (Quran 3:186)

A Freeman

Star
Loving your neighbor is sharing the truth with them, so that they can learn to do God's Will rather than doing their own, self-will (Satan's really), which will guarantee they face The Fire on the Last Day, exactly as we've been warned at least 300 times in the Koran.

Do you feel it's loving when someone launches a baseless ad hominem attack (as you just did @Daze), because they cannot face the truth that's been shared with them, that they are NOT doing God's Will?

Tidal

Star
Yes there is but one God but there are a lot of gods.

Yeah but the so-called little "gods" don't exist, they're just things cooked up by heathens..:)-

God said- "Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm, nor can they do any good." (Jeremiah 10:5)

Daze

Established
I am tired of anti-Islam threads. You just keep proving Islam to be the only truth, like i pointed out above, and I'll continue ignoring the copy / paste jobs you have filled this thread with.

We'll both find Truth on judgement day, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I don't need to demean others to raise myself.

Peace.

Tidal

Star
..they are brought up in a Christian household, go to a Christian school, whatever, to the point where they have a strong visceral and emotional reaction to any other religion..
Don't forget some christians even attack other christians..:)

PS -my parents and schoolteachers weren't particularly religious and I began taking an interest in Jesus in my early teens on my own initiative and he grew on me from there because of his strong anti-establishment teachings.
Naturally I've looked at other religions but they leave me cold for the simple reason their founders are all corpses in boxes somewhere, but Jesus is not, spot the difference?..;)

Last edited:

Amarula

Rookie
Christianity is already cucked. Now the HORDE coming for Islam . Actually already came. There are too many HOEjabis. It's over buddiesss !! It seems SUICIDE the only option before we get RAPED!!!

shankara

Star
For The Self-Existing ONE Who exists outside of time and space – neither of which existed before He created them – it is possible to see everything that was, is and will be in a single glance.

Being able to see everything that could happen and/or will happen doesn't require or preclude participating in those events. In other words, God can create the setting, give His created Sons/Angels/Spirit-Beings free-will, and then merely observe those events until such a time as He chooses to (or not to) intervene.

Anyone who has paid attention to how prophecy is written – all of which is in the Old Covenant and New Covenant (which is part of the reason why the Koran instructs its readers that they MUST read the Bible) – will notice that it contains at least two possible paths/outcomes, leaving the free-will choice to us.

It's amazing this is so difficult to understand, particularly given we have for years had video game programmers and video game players. The former obviously knows every possible move and the pre-determined outcomes those moves will produce in the game they constructed, while the latter still has the free-will to play the game however they see fit.
The point I was making was about a theological argument (I imagine you have as much problem with theologians as I do) for predestination. It is effectively that God, while being aware of everything that will ever happen, is in no way responsible for it happening because He is merely a witness. Like saying that someone who designs a machine which operates in a certain way is not responsible for the running of the machine.

Anyway, knowing everything that could happen is quite different to knowing everything that will happen. Of course knowing everything that could potentially happen, it may be that there are certain events which are inevitable, that will arise in the whole causal nexus whatever the complex of surrounding causes is. But there are other things which could not predicted without falling into a kind of determinism or fatalism, both of which are very material doctrines. For example this whole business about the 144,000, the only way that this could be would be if "salvation" were a kind of zero-sum game, in which one person attaining salvation would prevent another from doing so. Predetermining the exact number of people who will be "saved" would completely take away people's power of decision, the free will which individuals do have, the "the free-will to play the game however they see fit".

You know I've also been thinking about this whole 6,000 years thing. I've lately been reading "The Lotus Sutra", which speaks a lot about vast periods of time, millions of aeons for beings to become Buddhas. Compared to such periods of time (and the kinds of periods of time found generally in Eastern teachings), 6,000 years is nothing, the blink of an eye. Of course there are also "hell realms", what you would call "the fire", and people can spend aeons in these as well. There is also the whole theosophical thing about "root races", the destruction of Atlantis, the eventual "last judgement" of the 5th and current root race, in which those who have failed to evolve spiritually will face their punishment. It just seems to me like a few thousand years is a very short time to give people for a God who you claim to be "all merciful".

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Kais_1

Star
i dont know if this has been posted, but the Quran says that ASR is the most important prayer of the day.

The Asr prayer (Arabic: صلاة العصر‎ ṣalāt al-ʿaṣr, "afternoon prayer") is one of the five mandatory salah (Islamic prayer). ... The Asr daily prayer is mentioned as the middle prayer in the Qur'an at sura 2 (Al-Baqara), ayat 238. al-Asr is also the title of the 103rd chapter (sura) of the Qur'ān.

shankara

Star
Don't forget some christians even attack other christians..:)

PS -my parents and schoolteachers weren't particularly religious and I began taking an interest in Jesus in my early teens on my own initiative and he grew on me from there because of his strong anti-establishment teachings.
Naturally I've looked at other religions but they leave me cold for the simple reason their founders are all corpses in boxes somewhere, but Jesus is not, spot the difference?..;)

Actually Buddha is said to currently reside in a "Pure Land" and be able to create "emanation bodies" throughout the universe. Though his original physical body might have ceased to function, He retains omniscient awareness. So though there was no resurrection on earth following His death, one could say that in a sense He is not dead...

A Freeman

Star
I am tired of anti-Islam threads. You just keep proving Islam to be the only truth, like i pointed out above, and I'll continue ignoring the copy / paste jobs you have filled this thread with.

We'll both find Truth on judgement day, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I don't need to demean others to raise myself.

Peace.
This isn't an "anti-Islam" thread any more than pointing out to "Christians" that their 3=1 nonsense is NOT Scriptural; it is a thread devoted to the TRUTH that is found in the Koran (Quran), and the Bible it CONFIRMS, which everyone who reads the Koran and has a genuine love for the truth should appreciate, and NEEDS to survive. Only the truth will set you free.

You apparently fail to see that it is YOU who are very hypocritically demeaning others, just as you have done again, by falsely accusing me of "copy and paste jobs" so you can ignore the truth that's been shared, which has been explained in great detail, and backed up with hundreds of verses Scripture.

If you wish to pretend that pointing out the TRUTH that the organized religion known as "Islam" is NOT based upon the Koran and its adherents/victims are therefore NOT doing God's Will, then you are only deluding yourself and trying to con others. If you have anything specific that you feel has been personally shared in error, then please feel free to point it out.

Otherwise, please stop doing Satan's bidding, so that you do not find out on Judgment Day you have been in error all along, when it will be too late to do anything about it.

Peace be upon you.

Last edited:

Amarula

Rookie
I can't believe these cuckistians. YES BRO MEDIA MAKES YOUR DAUGHTER A WHORE AND TURNS YOUR SON A GAY but yess problem is ISLAM!!!

Tidal

Star
Actually Buddha is said to currently reside in a "Pure Land" and be able to create "emanation bodies" throughout the universe. Though his original physical body might have ceased to function, He retains omniscient awareness. So though there was no resurrection on earth following His death, one could say that in a sense He is not dead...

Maybe Buddha could sense the "God and Jesus spirit" sweeping through the universe and locked onto him, so perhaps he's made it to heaven, we don't know.
Buddha was a great truthseeker but the bottom line is he was just a human giving us his own best guesses and hunches, whereas Jesus was giving us the words of God himself, there's the difference..:)-
Jesus said - "For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)

Forever Light

Veteran
31:2. These are Verses of the Wise Book,-
31:3. A Guide and a Mercy to the Doers of Good,-
31:4. Those who establish constant Prayer (1 Thess. 5:17), and give regular Charity, and have (in their hearts) the assurance of the Hereafter.
31:5. These are on (true) Guidance from their Lord; and these are the ones who will prosper.

31:17. O my son! Establish constant prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong: and bear with patient constancy whatever happens to thee; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs.

31:31. Seest thou not that the ships sail through the Ocean by the Grace of "I AM"- that He may show you of His Signs? Verily in this are Signs for all who constantly persevere and give thanks.

This is the same as in the Bible, which also says to pray without ceasing. -

1 Thessalonians
5:16 Rejoice evermore.
5:17 PRAY WITHOUT CEASING.
5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the Will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Through following this Guidance in Scripture, which says the goal should be to establish constant prayer (thereby, learning to achieve and live in a state of constant God-consciousness and therefore, able to receive constant Guidance), a person will be covered from all angles, and for any amount of prescribed prayers per day, be it three, five, or any other number of times, which only serve as training and/or to get back into a state of Direct-contact, until it becomes a lifelong, constant state of awareness (and therefore, constant Guidance and Protection, along The Way).

It says to listen to the Word, and to follow the best (meaning) in it. -

39:17. Those who shun Evil,- and fall not into its worship,- and turn to "I AM" (in repentance),- for them is Good News: so announce the Good News to My Servants,-
39:18. Those who listen to the Word, and follow the best (meaning) in it: those are the ones whom "I AM" has guided, and those are the ones given Understanding.

39:35. So that "I AM" will turn off from them (even) the worst in their deeds and give them their reward according to the best of what they have done.

39:55. And follow the Best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before The Penalty comes on you - of a sudden while ye perceive not!-

Constant, is surely the best out of all other options.

Last edited:

shankara

Star
31:2. These are Verses of the Wise Book,-
31:3. A Guide and a Mercy to the Doers of Good,-
31:4. Those who establish constant Prayer (1 Thess. 5:17), and give regular Charity, and have (in their hearts) the assurance of the Hereafter.
31:5. These are on (true) Guidance from their Lord; and these are the ones who will prosper.

31:17. O my son! Establish constant prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong: and bear with patient constancy whatever happens to thee; for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs.

31:31. Seest thou not that the ships sail through the Ocean by the Grace of "I AM"- that He may show you of His Signs? Verily in this are Signs for all who constantly persevere and give thanks.

This is the same as in the Bible, which also says to pray without ceasing. -

1 Thessalonians
5:16 Rejoice evermore.
5:17 PRAY WITHOUT CEASING.
5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the Will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Through following this Guidance in Scripture, which says the goal should be to establish constant prayer (thereby, learning to achieve and live in a state of constant God-consciousness and therefore, able to receive constant Guidance), a person will be covered from all angles, and for any amount of prescribed prayers per day, be it three, five, or any other number of times, which only serve as training and/or to get back into a state of Direct-contact, until it becomes a lifelong, constant state of awareness (and therefore, constant Guidance and Protection, along The Way).

It says to listen to the Word, and to follow the best (meaning) in it. -

39:17. Those who shun Evil,- and fall not into its worship,- and turn to "I AM" (in repentance),- for them is Good News: so announce the Good News to My Servants,-
39:18. Those who listen to the Word, and follow the best (meaning) in it: those are the ones whom "I AM" has guided, and those are the ones given Understanding.

39:35. So that "I AM" will turn off from them (even) the worst in their deeds and give them their reward according to the best of what they have done.

39:55. And follow the Best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before The Penalty comes on you - of a sudden while ye perceive not!-

Constant, is surely the best out of all other options.
The problem with the idea of perpetual prayer is that it can easily become a kind of neurotic process of trying to drive away "evil" thoughts and replace them with "good" ones. Meditation is about not getting caught up in any kind of internal dialogue or neurosis, yes it is possible to meditate on some certain subjects (like the Four Common Ngondro) but also it is necessary to learn stillness and non-identification with thoughts. Labelling them "good" and "bad" is just another layer of complexity and actually gets us more caught up in the whole internal melodrama of the mind (which is separation from presence and awareness, "clear light").

Of course if you have a serious meditation practice, the awareness naturally carries over into the rest of one's life.

Forever Light

Veteran
The problem with the idea of perpetual prayer is that it can easily become a kind of neurotic process of trying to drive away "evil" thoughts and replace them with "good" ones. Meditation is about not getting caught up in any kind of internal dialogue or neurosis, yes it is possible to meditate on some certain subjects (like the Four Common Ngondro) but also it is necessary to learn stillness and non-identification with thoughts. Labelling them "good" and "bad" is just another layer of complexity and actually gets us more caught up in the whole internal melodrama of the mind (which is separation from presence and awareness, "clear light").

Of course if you have a serious meditation practice, the awareness naturally carries over into the rest of one's life.
Quieting the mind, in order to then be able to hear the still small voice, like Elijah: -

1 kings
19:9 And he came there unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the Word of the "I AM" [came] to him, and He said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
19:10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the "I AM" God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken Thy Covenant, thrown down Thine altars, and slain Thy Prophets with the sword; and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
19:11 And He said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the "I AM". And, behold, the "I AM" passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the "I AM"; [but] the "I AM" [was] not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; [but] the "I AM" [was] not in the earthquake:
19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; [but] the "I AM" [was] not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
19:13 And it was [so], when Elijah heard [it], that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave.

Last edited:

A Freeman

Star
People need to learn what is going on in their own minds and what thinking really is.

There are two sources for every single thought that enters one's mind: Good/Truth (from God) and Evil/Lies (from the devil/Satan). No one has EVER had an "original" thought; the only thing that convinces someone to believe otherwise is their ego (the "self"). What most believe is "thinking" is actually listening to God (prayer), which is where all of the good ideas come from ("out of the blue").

Each of us here on Earth are human+Beings.

The real you is a spirit-Being Who is connected to our Creator (our heavenly Father, THE God, Whose Name is "I AM"). The Being part of the human+Being. At the center of every Being -- the "eye of the storm" where it is calm, peaceful and still -- is where one can find that all important connection to our Creator (Father) and hear His Small, Still Voice of Reason, exactly as He has told us (Ps. 46:10).

The human that you are temporarily incarnating is connected to this world and its temporary ruler: Lucifer/Satan/Iblis. The human has its own selfish agenda (whatever makes it feel good), its own built-in self-preservation/self-survival programming and always protects its own self-interest. It is completely self-centered, and sees every other human on this planet as its enemy; i.e. a threat not only to its continued existence, but also to its rule over the mind to which it sits as a sentinel (gate-keeper).

There are literally thousands upon thousands of random thoughts and human emotions that enter one's mind every day. If allowed, the mind will swim in that constant e-motional state, being taken with it wherever it goes. If it doesn't like what someone else says to it, it gets angry and resentful. If it doesn't get its selfish way, it feels frustration (a mild form of anger). If it sees someone or something as a threat to it, it becomes afraid. And when its ignorance and lies are exposed, it desperately tries to hide that from itself with its own arrogance.

IF one understands that they are NOT the human they live inside of anymore than they are those random thoughts they can see (in their mind's eye) crossing through the mind, then it is possible to learn to CONTROL that emotional storm that otherwise rages inside of the mind instead of being at the mercy of the storm.

As with most things, practice makes perfect, so the more one practices remaining calm and unruffled in their every day life (level-headed), the better one is prepared to do that when it really matters; in the face of REAL danger. And what is it exactly that helps one remain calm and unruffled in ANY situation? KNOWING that everything is in Father's Hands, and that NOTHING can touch the real you, which is protected and safe with Father at ALL times. If something befalls the body, then it was meant to be, and only allowed because it is exactly what you (the spirit-Being) needs to progress (Matt. 10:28, 1 Pet. 4:12-13).

As an exercise, find a comfortable place to practice clearing your mind. A comfortable chair, or laying prone on a bed or couch, etc. Clear your mind of every thought and strive to maintain that clarity for as long as possible, watching to see when the first thought jumps into your mind.

For most, that will happen almost instantaneously. Something you believe you need to do, some song playing, some past memory, some worry about the future, etc. The question that should really be asked at that point is this: if it's your mind, and you told it to be still, why doesn't it do what you told it to do?

The more you practice this, the longer you will be able to maintain the peace inside your own mind, and learn to differentiate between the small, still voice of reason (Father - what most people believe to be their "conscience") and the seductive, incessant background noise of the "self" (Satan), with its "self"-justification and rationalization. Eventually, it becomes possible to almost immediately recognize the emotional noise and "take out the trash" quickly, to leave the mind open at all times, for Father to provide you with instructions, so you can be doing His Will in every moment of every day.

Eventually, it becomes possible to conduct this exercise anywhere, in any situation, at any time. It simply requires discipline.

THAT is what is meant by CONSTANT prayer, which is why both the Bible and Koran (Quran) instruct us to establish it. Every moment we are not listening to Father with a clear mind ready to be filled by His Guidance and Goodness, we are automatically listening to Satan, pretending to be our "self".

True Prayer
When we pray in the correct way, we are not asking God to do something, God is inspiring us to act in His place to enact His Will on Earth. We are intended to be the emissaries of the Divine on this planet.
True prayer is the method, the visualization, that God expects us to use in discerning His Will and implementing it in the physical dimension twenty-four hours every day. His Kingdom come, His Will be done, on Earth, as it is in Heaven. Amen.

shankara

Star
Quieting the mind, in order to then be able to hear the still small voice, like Elijah: -

1 kings
19:9 And he came there unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the Word of the "I AM" [came] to him, and He said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
19:10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the "I AM" God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken Thy Covenant, thrown down Thine altars, and slain Thy Prophets with the sword; and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
19:11 And He said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the "I AM". And, behold, the "I AM" passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the "I AM"; [but] the "I AM" [was] not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; [but] the "I AM" [was] not in the earthquake:
19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; [but] the "I AM" [was] not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
19:13 And it was [so], when Elijah heard [it], that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave.
Ok, I think I have heard this "still small voice" on occasion. One of the things it told me is that nobody is ever definitely doomed and lost, that ultimately even the most fallen beings will have the opportunity to develop spiritual realization once they have faced the karma of whatever they have created. I struggle to understand how you can have a solid meditation practice and still be caught up in some of the ideas being promoted by your guru.

Eventually, it becomes possible to conduct this exercise anywhere, in any situation, at any time. It simply requires discipline.

THAT is what is meant by CONSTANT prayer, which is why both the Bible and Koran (Quran) instruct us to establish it. Every moment we are not listening to Father with a clear mind ready to be filled by His Guidance and Goodness, we are automatically listening to Satan, pretending to be our "self".

True Prayer
One point I would make to you is that if you have the idea that what you are thinking is clarity and wisdom due to the supposed meditative state you have arrived at, you could actually be caught up in just a more subtle and rarefied kind of egotism. So far as I understand, thoughts, whether virtuous or negative, are forms of neurotic attachment to the idea of "I". Of course, not thinking could become another kind of attachment, people sometimes think they know how to quiet their mind when in fact they haven't arrived at the state of "serene reflection". But in any case if you are caught up in dualistically labeling your thoughts "good" and "evil" then you are practicing repression and not meditation (I'm not saying that ethics isn't important, but that disciplining the mind doesn't mean trying to force out "evil" thoughts, not letting them arise).

In fact it is said that the difference between a high Bodhisattva and a Buddha is that a Buddha maintains their meditative awareness even outside of a meditation session. I would suggest that it is very unlikely that you have attained even the state of an Arya Bodhisattva, never mind of a Buddha. Because to be quite honest with you, if you had then you wouldn't be so attached to certain of your doctrines, nor so adamant that everybody else must also believe them.