What do Muslims believe about Jesus?

Third Surah (chapter) of Quran - Ayat 38-61

At that, Zechariah called upon his Lord, saying, "My Lord, grant me from Yourself a good offspring. Indeed, You are the Hearer of supplication." (38)

So the angels called him while he was standing in prayer in the chamber, "Indeed, Allah gives you good tidings of John, confirming a word from Allah and [who will be] honorable, abstaining [from women], and a prophet from among the righteous." (39)

He said, "My Lord, how will I have a boy when I have reached old age and my wife is barren?" The angel said, "Such is Allah; He does what He wills." (40)

He said, "My Lord, make for me a sign." He Said, "Your sign is that you will not [be able to] speak to the people for three days except by gesture. And remember your Lord much and exalt [Him with praise] in the evening and the morning." (41)

And [mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah has chosen you and purified you and chosen you above the women of the worlds. (42)

O Mary, be devoutly obedient to your Lord and prostrate and bow with those who bow [in prayer]." (43)

That is from the news of the unseen which We reveal to you, [O Muhammad]. And you were not with them when they cast their pens as to which of them should be responsible for Mary. Nor were you with them when they disputed. (44)

[And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah]. (45)

He will speak to the people in the cradle and in maturity and will be of the righteous." (46)

She said, "My Lord, how will I have a child when no man has touched me?" [The angel] said, "Such is Allah; He creates what He wills. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it, 'Be,' and it is. (47)

And He will teach him writing and wisdom and the Torah and the Gospel (48)

And [make him] a messenger to the Children of Israel, [who will say], 'Indeed I have come to you with a sign from your Lord in that I design for you from clay [that which is] like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird by permission of Allah. And I cure the blind and the leper, and I give life to the dead - by permission of Allah. And I inform you of what you eat and what you store in your houses. Indeed in that is a sign for you, if you are believers. (49)

And [I have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me. (50)

Indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is the straight path." (51)

But when Jesus felt [persistence in] disbelief from them, he said, "Who are my supporters for [the cause of] Allah?" The disciples said, "We are supporters for Allah. We have believed in Allah and testify that we are Muslims [submitting to Him]. (52)

Our Lord, we have believed in what You revealed and have followed the messenger Jesus, so register us among the witnesses [to truth]." (53)

And the disbelievers planned, but Allah planned. And Allah is the best of planners. (54)

[Mention] when Allah said, "O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you [in submission to Allah alone] superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, and I will judge between you concerning that in which you used to differ. (55)

And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers." (56)

But as for those who believed and did righteous deeds, He will give them in full their rewards, and Allah does not like the wrongdoers. (57)

This is what We recite to you, [O Muhammad], of [Our] verses and the precise [and wise] message. (58)

Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, "Be," and he was. (59)

The truth is from your Lord, so do not be among the doubters. (60)

Then whoever argues with you about it after [this] knowledge has come to you - say, "Come, let us call our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves, then supplicate earnestly [together] and invoke the curse of Allah upon the liars [among us]." (61)

There already have been lengthy discussions on the forum on these topics and most result in nothing positive.
A Muslim can only give you an interpretation of the Qur'an but it depends on their overall perspective.
So for example if a Muslim wasn't aware of the current israeli-palestinian problem he/she might have an entirely different view of Jews and their history as it's retold in the Qur'an. Given we do have this awareness it alters our narratives which later determine out Quranic interpretation. If you only saw good in jews or christians that would influence the selection of words you focus on from the Quran ie changing your narrative and interpretation.
So for example historically jews/christians were not 'united' but today for the most part they are and most def they are the enemies of islam. This alters our narrative and i think it puts us into a siege mentality. 'us vs them'. Does this later influence how a muslim not only interprets the Quran but also the bible? im sure it does.

about the crucifixion, the most common views have historically tied in with the the way Christianity has been promoted ie God dying for their sins. The way Christians portray islam as a religion of 'works without salvation'....so Muslims have presented their views on the bible in a way that supposedly discredits christian theology. This is obviously the wrong way to go about it, but it is the case.

Example
In the Quran, Allah tells us HE inspired the disciples of Jesus to believe in him.
So from that, when i read the book of Acts and see how the apostles came to accept the testimony of Paul. I can't just start imagining there was some satanic deception occuring. To me Paul's testimony had to be legit. Even in the works early islamic scholars they mentioned Paul as one of the apostles.
Yet the current position of muslims on Paul is a negative one. It's also ironic that christians who are outright opposed to islam are telling us muslims about the position of early muslim scholars on Paul.
So it seems the christians are opposed to a kind of faux islamic narrative and the muslims are likewise opposed to faux christian narratives (like how they assume islam is a religion of works without salvation).

Christians tell everyone that we were born in sin, whilst in Islam we have a strong understanding that every child is born pure and 'in a state of Islam's hence when someone converts to Islam we say 'reverted to islam'.
The problem is the Christians are confusing the nature of sin with the accountability of sin. Basically every debate ive seen has been built on false narratives.

The Logos/Word of God was originally a cosmological concept thought of as a universal spirit/consciousness. In hinduism it's called Vishnu
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vishnu
it is basically the macro-cosmic eternal expression of the Transcendent God/Essence through which He manifests as the Immanent God. It is referred to as the 'primordial waters' ie like in Genesis 1
the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
In islam it's been metaphorically described as the primordial 'ink' from which the primordial 'pen' wrote the primordial 'Divine scriptotium' containing everything in creation ie the destiny of all things, in it.
In hinduism brahma/causation is described as a cosmic egg that rose out of the primordial waters.......
out
These are just metaphorical terms.
long story short the persians and greeks picked up on these concepts and then during the hellenistic era they got intergrated into jewish thought. The Logos got linked to the Image of God from Genesis and this was symbolically referred to as 'God's only begotten Son' (because it is the direct Expression of God).
in hinduism there are 10 incarnations of Vishnu...so here you had this idea of the incarnation of the Logos..and you had Saoshyant
concept in zoroastrianism and then the messianic concept in judaism. You had other religions from the same era with some similar themes like the in Mithra.
Basically you have the Macrocosmic expression of God ie the Logos and the microcosmic expression of God ie the Holy Spirit.
The primary purpose of the incarnation, always was to restore balance in the world and to bring back 'dharma' (the natural order similar to how we think of islam).

So how i think of Jesus primarily is as the incarnation of the Word of God and the messiah/Christ. I think of the term 'son of God' as a symbolic term within a judaic context that was taken literally by thick people and so it had to be rejected in islam in order to bring people back to pure monothiesm. I don't believe Jesus is God but do believe God was Immanent in him. But I also believe God is Immanent in all things and also know Jesus himself came to remind people of this. I believe the trinitarian doctrine is flawed and def contradicts the New testament. I do however believe the crucifixion and resurrection was real but believe 'death' only relates to our carnal nature and since Jesus already put the flesh/carnal nature/serpent to death via the cross, then the death that comes through the grave via our carnal nature was N/A and therefore 'he didnt die' yet he died. I def know that anyone who tells me im wrong just doesnt 'get it' and that they need to read the bible more carefully because it doesnt preach death it preaches life.
putting the flesh to death for the sake of God means giving up all attachments for the pursuit of God/the spirit. That is martyrdom and why in islam martyrs are living not dead.

To add to this, according to Islam Jesus/Isa did not die on the cross but God had mercy on him and sent a criminal to the cross instead. God made the criminal look like Jesus to the crowd, and gave Jesus free passage into Paradise. Which I think is a wonderful thing.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@AspiringSoul

Christians tell everyone that we were born in sin, whilst in Islam we have a strong understanding that every child is born pure and 'in a state of Islam's hence when someone converts to Islam we say 'reverted to islam'. The problem is the Christians are confusing the nature of sin with the accountability of sin. Basically every debate ive seen has been built on false narratives.
I think your observation here is very incisive. I don't entirely agree with your assertion that the nature and accountability of sin have been confused by Christians though...

The truth of the matter comes down to whether you accept the Bible's "diagnosis" or the Qur'an's "diagnosis" of human spiritual condition. Based on this diagnosis the correct treatment becomes apparent.

Since the failure to recognise the foundational difference between Islam and Christianity on this key issue is the source of much wasted typing on VCF it might be worth simply creating a thread on the fallen condition of Man (or not) and its implications for faith?

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/is-man-really-fallen-and-why-does-it-matter.3821/

floss

Star
That's pretty much what I believe

So Muslims also believe that he will return at the end of time? That really is interesting!
According to Islam, Jesus (a prophet or messenger) will return at end time. However, Muhammad was the Final Messenger. Unless final doesn’t really mean final and the Second Coming of Christ is a sequel. See the absurdity here?

Denying the death of Jesus is denying the ONLY source of salvation! His death accomplished many things FOR WHOSOEVER THAT BELIEVETH.

According to Islam, Jesus (a prophet or messenger) will return at end time. However, Muhammad was the Final Messenger. Unless final doesn’t really mean final and the Second Coming of Christ is a sequel. See the absurdity here?

Denying the death of Jesus is denying the ONLY source of salvation! His death accomplished many things FOR WHOSOEVER THAT BELIEVETH.
Jesus does not come back as a messenger, but to slay the Antichrist which was the planning of Allah all along.

So your assumption about him being the final prophet in Islam is wrong. Muhammad was the final prophet, Jesus/Isa will just finish what he started.

floss

Star
Jesus does not come back as a messenger, but to slay the Antichrist which was the planning of Allah all along.

So your assumption about him being the final prophet in Islam is wrong. Muhammad was the final prophet, Jesus/Isa will just finish what he started.
So, Jesus won’t be delivering any messages during his second coming? He just come back and fight... that’s it? I'm absolutely certain Muslim believe Jesus will tell the world something....hmmmp??

Last edited:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
So, Jesus won’t be delivering any messages during his second coming? He just come back and fight... that’s it? I'm absolutely certain Muslim believe Jesus will tell the world something....hmmmp??
We have already given our various perspectives and information on the topic the original poster inquired about. The discussion has been progressing nicely so why try to derail it? RedSky checked themself and their last post was on topic and when the air of off-topic discussion came up, they offered an entirely new thread to discuss those contentions.

You on the other hand seem intent on distraction and derailing the conversation from what the original poster intended. Your questions were answered clearly and yet you are still here arguing.... for what?

If I am the last person in my family to carry my name, but my Mother is still alive and speaks, it doesn't detract from or change my status.....

floss

Star
We have already given our various perspectives and information on the topic the original poster inquired about. The discussion has been progressing nicely so why try to derail it? RedSky checked themself and their last post was on topic and when the air of off-topic discussion came up, they offered an entirely new thread to discuss those contentions.

You on the other hand seem intent on distraction and derailing the conversation from what the original poster intended. Your questions were answered clearly and yet you are still here arguing.... for what?

If I am the last person in my family to carry my name, but my Mother is still alive and speaks, it doesn't detract from or change my status.....
Just pointing out the absurdities of Islam and preventing a brother from joining this death cult. ;)

If I see someone going toward the pit of hell...the least I could do is tell him/her. "hey you're going toward the pit of hell" ;)

floss

Star
Yes Jesus will return to kill the antichrist & clear the confusion and claims made by christians.
Wouldn't this make Him the Final Messenger and NOT Muhammad? (Muhammad is the "Final Messenger" because he's clearing the confusion and claims made by the Bible, right?)

Last edited:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Wouldn't this make Him the Final Messenger and NOT Muhammad? (Muhammad is the "Final Messenger" because he's clearing the confusion and claims made by the Bible, right?)
This has been explained to you repeatedly..... you can either accept that we believe what we believe, or you can stand here shaking your fist in opposition of a thread that has little to do with what you are trying to inject into it.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Just pointing out the absurdities of Islam and preventing a brother from joining this death cult. ;)

If I see someone going toward the pit of hell...the least I could do is tell him/her. "hey you're going toward the pit of hell" ;)
ISIS and their Jewish & Christian counterparts are death cults. Islam is the final installment in the legitimate, monotheistic lineage that has been prophesied by (I believe, although Im not a scholar) ALL THREE of these faiths. If you want to start arguments, why not just make your own thread instead of making yourself look foolish in this one?

Damien50

Star
ISIS and their Jewish & Christian counterparts are death cults. Islam is the final installment in the legitimate, monotheistic lineage that has been prophesied by (I believe, although Im not a scholar) ALL THREE of these faiths. If you want to start arguments, why not just make your own thread instead of making yourself look foolish in this one?
It's far easier to be a zealous troll.

floss

Star
I'm fine with being foolish. At least, I warned a brother about this death cult. Hopefully he make the right choice ;)

I'm fine with being foolish. At least, I warned a brother about this death cult. Hopefully he make the right choice ;)
Death cult? How is revering the death of ISA on the cross constantly NOT a death cult? If anything, that is something that upsets me about Christianity. They are constantly revering the moment their prophet suffered most. That sounds like a death cult to me.

I love Isa, and am happy to see that Isa was lifted up to heaven by Allah instead of tortured for days on the cross.

Just reminding you that the Bible quotes Isa saying he will come back as a lion bearing a sword.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Death cult? How is revering the death of ISA on the cross constantly NOT a death cult? If anything, that is something that upsets me about Christianity. They are constantly revering the moment their prophet suffered most. That sounds like a death cult to me.

I love Isa, and am happy to see that Isa was lifted up to heaven by Allah instead of tortured for days on the cross.
Indeed. I was raised Roman Catholic and each mass we symbolically ate the flesh and drank the blood of Jesus. Not dissing them because I understand the context, but still and all.........