What can religion offer me, Who finds Truth everywhere?

Alanantic

Star
Where did this wonderous universe come from ?

And on earth awesomeness is overflowing. How refreshing is that crystal creek serving sparkling water on the slope. And among apple trees love flutter like butterflies. And have you seen the sun blush in the west before bedtime ?

Somebody made all this and sustains it and that somebody is worth all the honor glory and worship. And He will not give it to another.

Do you know Him ? If you don't know Him by now i will tell you His name. For He spoke it all into being because He is the Word of God.

And His name is Jesus Christ.
oh, pulleaze... Don't become a sales person. You'll starve.
As for the Universe...there's obviously a "Ghost in the Machine".

TokiEl

Superstar
oh, pulleaze... Don't become a sales person. You'll starve.
As for the Universe...there's obviously a "Ghost in the Machine".
And that Ghost is Holy.

I am in that peculiar position that i know who God is. I may do a lousy job of selling Him to those who do not know but that is between Him and me.

You just concentrate on being good by obeying His commandments if you are unsure or even reject Him. And maybe God knows He may show mercy to you. And that is between Him and you.

Alanantic

Star
And that Ghost is Holy.

I am in that peculiar position that i know who God is. I may do a lousy job of selling Him to those who do not know but that is between Him and me.

You just concentrate on being good by obeying His commandments if you are unsure or even reject Him. And maybe God knows He may show mercy to you. And that is between Him and you.
And that Ghost is You, too.

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." -- Marcus Aurelius

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you..."
--
Jesus Christ

Alanantic

Star
"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you..."
--
Jesus Christ
As I said, "If there are, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them."

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
As I said, "If there are, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them."
Revelation 20*

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

*I don't make the rules

Alanantic

Star
Revelation 20*

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

*I don't make the rules
If not, you end up accepting somebody else's. And, if you think those rules come from God...well, God help you.

rainerann

Star
I see what you're getting at. The LAST thing I would want to do is form another religion. Why? Because it's something pre-packaged and if it contains enough stuff that one can believe, it easy to accept the rest, and stop thinking about those things. I went through a period of, "Well, what AM I? Christian? Buddhist? Taoist?", as if I HAD to choose one! Otherwise...I won't belong...to...a group? A herd? A family? What is the purpose of religion?
Social groupings will always form around subjects that people have in common. For example, chess club, book club, green party, independent party. So whether you like it or not, you are still going to form associations that are derived from the same motivations that form religions. This is because of how fundamental the development of an ideology is to each and every person. There is no way to avoid this. So while you are thinking that your view makes you exempt from belonging to a group, you are simultaneously forming a group in the process.

It could be called nonconformist for an example because the name would be assigned as soon as there was a large enough number of people who demonstrated the same view. You would eventually be part of this group identity and there is nothing you can do to control this. You can't control whether other people share the same perspective as you do or whether people who do not share your beliefs identify you according to their observation of shared beliefs.

Therefore, you are capable of answering your own question. What does religion have to offer because you do have a belief system that could be filed under the main religion folder? Basically, what you are doing is creating a thread promoting your own religion, maybe without realizing it, and describing it as a religion that is an eclectic mix of teachings that you like from other faiths because you seem to have no real method for identifying whether they are true or not according to your system of belief. It is a matter of which ones you like the most or seem to provide the most value to you. Basically, you are telling us that this is a preferable belief system to the beliefs systems classically identified as religions.

Daciple

Star
I'm more inclined toward Buddha.
Buddha is dead, he offers you nothing you can't have a personal relationship with a dead person.

Jesus however is Alive, and offers you Salvation, Mercy, Grace and Love. You can actually have a Personal Relationship with Him. He has the Words of Eternal Life no one else. I hope one day you seek Christ He's the one who died for you not Buddha or Muhammad or Krishna or any other entity in existence...

John 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

yannick

Veteran
Where did this wonderous universe come from ?

And on earth awesomeness is overflowing. How refreshing is that crystal creek serving sparkling water on the slope. And among apple trees love flutter like butterflies. And have you seen the sun blush in the west before bedtime ?

SomeThing made all this and sustains it and that somebody is worth all the honor glory and worship. And He will not give it to another.
This. And sorry for the dissection. God Is The Only Thing That Is Indescribable, The Only Real Thing, since every other thing is describable. God Just Exists and that's it. Full stop.

Attachments

Alanantic

Star
Buddha is dead, he offers you nothing you can't have a personal relationship with a dead person.

Jesus however is Alive, and offers you Salvation, Mercy, Grace and Love. You can actually have a Personal Relationship with Him. He has the Words of Eternal Life no one else. I hope one day you seek Christ He's the one who died for you not Buddha or Muhammad or Krishna or any other entity in existence...

John 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
'Dead' or 'Alive' really makes no difference; not even 'why' they died. What's important is their message.

Daciple

Star
'Dead' or 'Alive' really makes no difference; not even 'why' they died. What's important is their message.
Actually it makes all the difference, how can a dead person speak to you? How can a dead person do anything to help you? How can you have a Relationship with someone that is dead?

Unlike Buddha, Muhammad and all the other "Prophets" or Religious Leaders of this world, Jesus Christ is still Alive, He overcame Death and Hell!!

You speak about what matters is the message, what is Jesus message?

John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Matt 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Jesus' message is that He has come to lay down His life so that you and I may have Eternal Life and Remission from all Sins. Not only that His message is He has Resurrected, overcome Death and Hell, and offers you and I the ability to overcome Death and Hell as well! And all one has to do is believe on Him for Salvation by Faith thru Grace!!

What other Religious Leader offers this to you? Eternal Life, a bountiful blessed Earthly Life, no fear of Death, Remission for you Sins? None thats who, Buddha didnt die for you, he cant absolve you of your sins, he cant offer you Eternal Life, he cant save you from Death or Hell. Neither can Muhammad, or any of the Hindu gods nor any other person or Religious Leader that has ever existed!!

Massive difference in the fact that Jesus is Alive while all the others are dead, and the message of Jesus as opposed to everyone else!!

I don't want 'justice'. Mercy for what? I don't feel I have anything to be saved from, if that's what you're referring to.
Do you even believe there is a God? Lets start there...

Alanantic

Star
I find I'm beginning to get sidetracked.
On a positive note, religion is Man's attempt to understand life and/in the universe, and that's a good thing. But, what happens is, people 'worship' (which serves little purpose, in my opinion) a religion's founder, then the scripture that the founder supposedly said and meant, finally, the religion itself. At that point, one gives up their own power of discernment.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I find I'm beginning to get sidetracked.
On a positive note, religion is Man's attempt to understand life and/in the universe, and that's a good thing. But, what happens is, people 'worship' (which serves little purpose, in my opinion) a religion's founder, then the scripture that the founder supposedly said and meant, finally, the religion itself. At that point, one gives up their own power of discernment.
When you go out, do you use roads or do you find your own way, cross country?

The reason why various views about God distill into religions is perhaps due to the fact that in the end we are not all as original as our pride would like us to be.

There is nothing new under the sun. What we do have is choice which way to take. I genuinely hope you don't end up in a rut on the edge of a field.

Alanantic

Star
When you go out, do you use roads or do you find your own way, cross country?

The reason why various views about God distill into religions is perhaps due to the fact that in the end we are not all as original as our pride would like us to be.

There is nothing new under the sun. What we do have is choice which way to take. I genuinely hope you don't end up in a rut on the edge of a field.
"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." You shouldn't take that out of context. It could equally apply to yourself...or somebody driving on the freeway. Back to the original question concerning religion, the answer is, of course, "nothing". Same with the other questions about Christianity or Islam. Each of our paths are a personal choice and satisfy that basic need we all have. We'll consider a change only when it stops doing that. Maybe instead of trying to see differences, we should try to see what we have in common.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." You shouldn't take that out of context. It could equally apply to yourself...or somebody driving on the freeway. Back to the original question concerning religion, the answer is, of course, "nothing". Same with the other questions about Christianity or Islam. Each of our paths are a personal choice and satisfy that basic need we all have. We'll consider a change only when it stops doing that. Maybe instead of trying to see differences, we should try to see what we have in common.
I agree that free will is a God given gift to be used as we choose.

yannick

Veteran
Please consider the following briefly

Nothing existed
Out of nothingness, everything was Created
Every sound was Created independently, for example the meow of the cat, and was left as is
Every creature was Created too and was left as is, just as the first man and woman
Every sound was then attached to its respective thing wisely

The Owner Remains God
He Owns everything that we can think of
Every pleasure that anybody is enjoying, the praises and thanks belong to Him alone
Every pain also that some are undergoing, the praises and thanks belong to Him alone since pain is a good sign that your heaven is not here on ephemeral Earth
Every beauty that exists is only because of Him alone

Therefore, He Deserves Worship since all of those things that we love so much originate from Him alone
All of those voices and sounds that we enjoy so much belong to Him first before we are being allowed, still by Him at each moment, to enjoy
This intelligence and this know-how concerning how to write and to desire and also the will to desperately make others know Him also comes from Him
Couldn't I have chosen another path? That of self-gratification for example? But to what end? Mere self-gratification?
My aim is His Countenance. The thing that I admire the most in life is the human being's (or any other mammal or creature for that matter) face

How many beautiful faces exist? He Is The Owner of them all. His Face Is The Most Beautiful of them all since It Always Existed, Unfathomably Unimaginable

Last edited:

Alanantic

Star
Please consider the following briefly

Nothing existed

Out of nothingness, everything was Created

Every sound was Created independently, for example the meow of the cat, and was left as is

Every creature was Created too and was left as is, just as the first man and woman

Every sound was then attached to its respective thing wisely

The Owner Remains God

He Owns everything that we can think of

Every pleasure that anybody is enjoying, the praises and thanks belong to Him alone

Every pain also that some are undergoing, the praises and thanks belong to Him alone since pain is a good sign that your heaven is not here on ephemeral Earth

Every beauty that exists is only because of Him alone

Therefore, He Deserves Worship since all of those things that we love so much originate from Him alone

All of those voices and sounds that we enjoy so much belong to Him first before we are being allowed, still by Him at each moment, to enjoy

This intelligence and this know-how concerning how to write and to desire and also the will to desperately make others know Him also comes from Him

Couldn't I have chosen another path? That of self-gratification for example? But to what end? Mere self-gratification?

My aim is His Countenance. The thing that I admire the most in life is the human being's (or any other mammal or creature for that matter) face

How many beautiful faces exist? He Is The Owner of them all. His Face Is The Most Beautiful of them all since It Always Existed, Unfathomably Unimaginable
I always like to hear different definitions of God. Being beyond human comprehension by definition, we're like the blind men and the elephant. We'll never see the whole thing, so any other view helps.

I like this one:
"3. God is endless above and below the universe. There is no place, or even the smallest particle that it does not permeate.
4. God permeates all of the water, land, wood, and stone. Not a single being is without it.
5. Just as water is in and around water animals, in the same way, this pure God is in and around all living beings.
6. However, this simile with water is not entirely appropriate, because there are dry places which exist apart from water, while it is not possible that anyone can ever go outside of God.
7. If one tries to run outside of the sky, it is not possible because the sky is always found in front of us. Similarly, there is no end to the endless God.
8. But even though it is only God that we meet continuously, it is inseparable from the body, and though it is what is closest to everyone, it is also hidden.
9. One exists within it but does not know it. One imagines to have understood it, but really the Absolute Reality cannot be understood." -- Dasbodh Chapter: 7, Sub-Chapter: 4