What Books Have Changed Your Faith...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
No book holds a candle to the Book of books-the Bible, of course, but early in my journey toward faith, I read
(Идиот Федора Достоевского) and in English: The Idiot, by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
The story made me weep and I fell in love with the Prince Myshkin because of his character similarities to Christ. It was a life-changer for me and led me on the road to becoming a born-again Christian.

@Sunny, was that a good translation from Google or not?
I might have to read that one next!!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Also...pre-missionary!
Riverwind claims Jewish heritage, which means that his TRIBE shares that, I believe. So...connect the dots. They could be from one of Noah's sons who traveled to the North American continent. There are some who think this.
Quite possible... Or maybe a lost tribe of Israel? Who knows but they must have some connection...

JoChris

Superstar
Perhaps in a similar direction, CS Lewis's 'Pilgrims Regress', he tells his own story in allegory from 'Churchianity', through Atheism to real faith...
C.S.Lewis - he is a great novelist and excellent at dissecting opponents' points of views (and therefore weaknesses). I definitely recommend the Pilgrim's Regress for that reason. It is available online in various formats.
His theological works have received criticism for numerous reasons though.

That being said: I thought of C.S.Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" as readers of this forum love the dark and mysterious stories already. It is the story of an uncle demon telling his nephew how to sabotage the new Christian's faith.
https://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/lewiscs-screwtapeletters/lewiscs-screwtapeletters-00-h.html

For classic Christian story, can't get a better one than John Buyan's "the Pilgrim's Progress". https://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/pilgrim.html

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
C.S.Lewis - he is a great novelist and excellent at dissecting opponents' points of views (and therefore weaknesses). I definitely recommend the Pilgrim's Regress for that reason. It is available online in various formats.
His theological works have received criticism for numerous reasons though.

That being said: I thought of C.S.Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" as readers of this forum love the dark and mysterious stories already. It is the story of an uncle demon telling his nephew how to sabotage the new Christian's faith.
https://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/lewiscs-screwtapeletters/lewiscs-screwtapeletters-00-h.html

For classic Christian story, can't get a better one than John Buyan's "the Pilgrim's Progress". https://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/pilgrim.html
Considering it has been round for a little while (!) Pilgrims Progress is absolutely packed with wisdom - I really liked that one as well!

Thunderian

Superstar
I thought of C.S.Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" as readers of this forum love the dark and mysterious stories already. It is the story of an uncle demon telling his nephew how to sabotage the new Christian's faith.
I got that for my wife as a pre-wedding present, because I'm a romantic. She is also a huge romantic and got me Gail Riplinger's New Age Bible Versions, which I do not recommend.

A book that had a big impact on me, as far as making me realize that Jesus was a real man and the events of his life really happened, was The Robe, by Lloyd C. Douglas. Apparently it was a huge bestseller in the 1940's, and was even a movie with Richard Burton. I don't remember what it was about the book that brought the reality of Christ home to me, but I still remember finishing it and believing in a way I never had.

JoChris

Superstar
I got that for my wife as a pre-wedding present, because I'm a romantic. She is also a huge romantic and got me Gail Riplinger's New Age Bible Versions, which I do not recommend.

A book that had a big impact on me, as far as making me realize that Jesus was a real man and the events of his life really happened, was The Robe, by Lloyd C. Douglas. Apparently it was a huge bestseller in the 1940's, and was even a movie with Richard Burton. I don't remember what it was about the book that brought the reality of Christ home to me, but I still remember finishing it and believing in a way I never had.
Thank you for mentioning that book! I just found it on openlibrary.org but I have checked it out online. I will read it as quickly as possible.

As a way of saying thank you, I just found the easy to access novel. It is set in the time of the very early church when persecution was really starting thanks to King Nero. https://archive.org/stream/quovadisnarrativ00sien#page/n13/mode/2up

Sunny

Rookie
Another book, that led me to Christian faith (after Bible, of course) was "Questions: I Have Always Wanted to Ask" by Werner Gitt.
The author here has collected the questions he is most frequently asked in his numerous evangelistic meetings and Bible studies and provides clear, logical and satisfying answers.