Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New American Standard Bible

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Thunderian

Superstar
There are plenty of different translations to choose from, and I'm interested in which ones people are using, and why.

I use the King James and I will post more about this in the responses, but I thought I'd put the poll up and then post more later.

I did find out something interesting about Bible sales vs the Bible that people actually use. The NIV is the best selling translation, but of people who actually read the Bible, more than half prefer the King James.

rainerann

Star
I've read several different versions. Don't particularly like the NIV. I like the Geneva Bible, William Tyndale's New Testament is awesome. I have read the English Standard Version, the Holmon Christian Standard Version. The first Bible I ever read was a Teen Bible my pastor gave me when I was 18 and I had just been baptized. I don't even know what that version was, but I read it cover to cover by the time I was 19 and it changed my whole life. It was this experience that showed me how reading the Bible would benefit my life. I will never stop reading the Bible. It is fantastic.

Yahda

Veteran
I read and post from a basic modern bible. Only because I have an understanding in the true essence of the word. When you don't such books will screw you all around.

When I read the one I have, or post scripture from it I do so with a proper understanding based on the message I know it coveys. Such an understanding come from text like the KJB, Septuagint, Hebrew translations, and the Holy Spirit guiding you...

I will say that the KJV annoys my brain lol, but if you want understanding it's your go to book. Truth is found in it's vocabulary despite everything said about him and the book.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Honestly, I didn't know there were so many different ones.
I think the reason is that the Bibles that most if us use are translations from the original Greek and Hebrew writings and as the text is very rich with meaning, a 'simplified' text like The Message may give you a sense of the narrative in s modern, easy reading style, but essentially remove other layers of meaning which are found in more accurate translations. Some of the texts are harder for modern people to read (people become less well read).

The Gospel message is the heart of scripture, and if a reader can understand that message in more everyday language, I wouldn't come down too hard on these paraphrases.

On the other hand, when drilling deep into the meaning of individual verses, as the languages contain complexity and shades of meaning lost in English (who would have known the Greeks had four words for 'love' for example, it pays to be able to drill deeper into the languages the original scriptures were written in.

GreenTea

Rookie
English Standard Version - wasn't a choice I made, it was given to me by a Bible Group I had joined.

Can somebody explain the main differences in each translation?

JoChris

Superstar
There's the debate over which ancient texts are the reliable ones, this one scholars will argue about until the Second Coming.
Then there's https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_version_debate
Translating the words exactly versus translator's understanding of text OR even simpler:
"What the words say" versus "what I think the words say".

Using Google you'll find many websites arguing for or against KJV. How about you Google search and download a KJV and use it along with the ESV print so you can personally compare them?

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
English Standard Version - wasn't a choice I made, it was given to me by a Bible Group I had joined.

Regardless of version the KJV consistently maintains the most rich and robust reading experience of all the versions. At times, numerous in fact, a dictionary and cross referencing have been a part of my bible study.

To properly argue the KJV or scripture in general on this forum requires context and a KJV will usually be the only one to give the full perspective. Though one must still be diligent in their studies as the pitfalls of the bible are still present.

Lisa

Superstar
I like the NASB. I had read that it was the most accurate translation so I bought it. I don't mind the esv, the niv or the kjv either. Though I don't really understand the whole kjv only thing that is going around. Seems rather militant especially when the language of it is so hard to understand. But, maybe that's just me. Seems you need a translator to read that translation and I can only do thee and thou for so long then my mind says STOP!!!

Just like I always thought the language of Jane Austen's time was so wonderful and lovely and then when I thought about it, they take a long time to say things in their roundabout way and it started seeming more exhausting to me then wonderful and lovely...

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
I like the NASB. I had read that it was the most accurate translation so I bought it. I don't mind the esv, the niv or the kjv either. Though I don't really understand the whole kjv only thing that is going around. Seems rather militant especially when the language of it is so hard to understand. But, maybe that's just me. Seems you need a translator to read that translation and I can only do thee and thou for so long then my mind says STOP!!!

Just like I always thought the language of Jane Austen's time was so wonderful and lovely and then when I thought about it, they take a long time to say things in their roundabout way and it started seeming more exhausting to me then wonderful and lovely...
What most fail to realize with 16th century English is that it incredibly profound and robust often being far more detailed than modern day English.

Truly examine the language of the KJV in comparison to any of the others and you will yourself initially lost with the KJV and seemingly enlightened by the others.

However study the wording and placement and you tend to find rich and vivid descriptions not present in the others often providing far more insight.

Try reading about Lot and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah only to find the other translations incredibly lacking in comparison to the KJV. THEN you may come understand the onlyism around it.

However if the word of God is easy is it really worth it?

Matthew 7:13-14 KJV
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: [14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Lurker

Star
When I read the bible, I prefer KJV. I feel it's worded better. However, I really like the online version as I can compare each verse through basically all versions.

Lisa

Superstar
What most fail to realize with 16th century English is that it incredibly profound and robust often being far more detailed than modern day English.

Truly examine the language of the KJV in comparison to any of the others and you will yourself initially lost with the KJV and seemingly enlightened by the others.

However study the wording and placement and you tend to find rich and vivid descriptions not present in the others often providing far more insight.

Try reading about Lot and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah only to find the other translations incredibly lacking in comparison to the KJV. THEN you may come understand the onlyism around it.

However if the word of God is easy is it really worth it?

Matthew 7:13-14 KJV
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: [14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Well, ya, why wouldenst God wanteth to maketh His word easy enough for us mere mortals to readeth? After all, it's to us He maketh Himself known? Righteth? Loleth! How sayeth thee about His disciple Paul?

Anyway, why decipher thee's and thou's when you don't really have to?

And that verse just means more people will take the broad way then the narrow not because they can't figure out the Bible because Hod wants everyone to be saved, you knowest...:rolleyes:

Thunderian

Superstar

Most translations of the Bible come from two sources:

The Majority Text, also known as Textus Receptus, which is so called because 95% of available surviving manuscripts are in agreement with it.

The Minority Text, based mainly on two sources -- the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus -- which are not even in agreement with each other.

The King James comes from the Textus Receptus (Majority Text). Almost every other version of the Bible we have is derived from the Minority Text, and the problems of some of these versions are alarming, to say the least. Doctrine about the deity of Christ, the virgin birth, salvation, the resurrection, the second coming of Christ, and heaven and hell is changed or completely removed from a lot of these versions. There are a lot of good websites (and some crazy ones) that go through these differences and what they mean. One that I found pretty comprehensive but simple to read is http://www.1611kingjamesbible.com/

I don't judge anyone for reading a version of the Bible other than the King James, and I know wonderful Christians who read other versions. Personally, though, I do not trust the other versions as I do the King James, and I encourage anyone who is serious about Bible study to use the KJV.

Last edited:

Thunderian

Superstar
Well, ya, why wouldenst God wanteth to maketh His word easy enough for us mere mortals to readeth? After all, it's to us He maketh Himself known? Righteth? Loleth! How sayeth thee about His disciple Paul?

Anyway, why decipher thee's and thou's when you don't really have to?

And that verse just means more people will take the broad way then the narrow not because they can't figure out the Bible because Hod wants everyone to be saved, you knowest...:rolleyes:
I guess the question is, do you want a Bible that is easy to read, or one that is true to the word of God? The reading level needed to comprehend the KJV is not very high. It's vocabulary is small, and most words are only one or two syllables. Yes, it does use some archaic words, but it's not too hard to learn that "meat" means food, and "quick" means alive.

And the thee's and thou's are actually important in rendering the original message of God, as they are second person singular pronominal forms, which are important in conveying the true meaning of some passages.

Matthew 26:64. “Jesus saith unto him, THOU hast said: nevertheless I say unto YOU, Hereafter shall YE see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.” The singular THOU refers to the high priest, but the plural YOU refers to all who will see Christ in the day of His glory (Rev. 1:7).