What are you reading?

Hooligan69

Established
Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins by Annie Jacobsen. A blind buy while at the bookstore today. Anyone read this one?

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins by Annie Jacobsen. A blind buy while at the bookstore today. Anyone read this one?
no, but it sounds pretty good!

The pentagons brain is another great book by Annie Jacobsen, history of darpa

Hooligan69

Established
I bought a book called We Are Harmonized Now: Life In China's Surveillance State which I am curious to read. Here is what the book is about. From Goodreads website:

One of the world’s most respected investigative reporters reveals how George Orwell’s chilling vision of authoritarianism in 1984 has come true in modern China’s high-tech surveillance state.

They are always watching.

For nearly twenty years, politicians from President Bill Clinton to tech gurus including Google’s Eric Schmidt proclaimed that the internet could not be censored by any government, including China. As recently as 2013, Tim Berners-Lee, often credited as the inventor of the World Wide Web, declared that “piece by piece, website by website, China’s ‘great firewall’ would meet the same fate as the Berlin Wall.” Yet these predictions have been proved wrong. In We Have Been Harmonized, award-winning journalist Kai Strittmatter reveals how the internet and high tech have transformed the power of Chinese authoritarians, allowing them to create the most horrifying surveillance state in history.

Advances in technology—facial recognition, GPS tracking, supercomputer databases, mobile phones, high-resolution security cameras—make it nearly impossible for a Chinese citizen to hide anything from authorities. Text messages and emails are instantly stripped of “problematic” words. The year 1989—when the world witnessed the student protests and tragic massacre at Tiananmen Square—has been banished from search results. Cameras scan for “appropriate” facial expressions as they track individuals’ movements. Each citizen is given a score for good behavior. Those who lose points can be banned from traveling, have their internet speed reduced, or even have their toilet paper limited.

All of this has happened with the help of Chinese tech companies, as well as the complicity of Western governments and corporations eager to gain access to China’s huge market. While these companies export their technology to authoritarian states around the globe, they are also reshaping American lives via app, smart phones, and computing. Strittmatter’s book is a terrifying portrait of an Orwellian nightmare unlike anything we’ve ever witnessed, and a dire warning about what could happen anywhere.

morita

Veteran
1602243207786.png
The second sex by Simone de Beauvoir. Was first published in 1949 but still very actual.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The Miracle of the Cell - Michael Denton

“MY MAIN AIM IN THE PRIVILEGED SPECIES SERIES IS TO PRESENT the evidence that nature is uniquely fit for life as it exists on Earth, not just for the generic carbon-based cell, but also for beings of our biology, and thus to show that the cosmos is not just biocentric but also (no matter how unfashionable it may be in certain quarters) anthropocentric as well.

This particular book is focused on the fitness of nature for the familiar carbon-based cell, which is the basic unit of all life on Earth. In this work I review the properties of many of the atoms of the periodic table, including carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen, as well as phosphorus and several metals, to highlight their unique fitness to serve various biochemical ends in the cell. As the chapters ahead show, the unique fitness of many of the atoms in the first quarter of the periodic table for the design of the cell is stunning. On any consideration, the evidence conveys the irresistible impression that the properties of the atoms have been crafted with incredible precision to perform highly specific functions upon which the life of the cell depends. Together, the collective fitness of the properties of these atoms for the cell make up what I term a “primal blueprint” for the design of the carbon-based cell, a blueprint laid down in the order of things from the beginning of the universe.”

Cintra

Star
I just got War Lord by Bernard Cornwell.

Last in the series. I followed my saxons across England all through this summer, and now I get the end of the story.

Does anyone else just read ordinary books? Fiction?
I love to read.

polymoog

Superstar
I just got War Lord by Bernard Cornwell.

Last in the series. I followed my saxons across England all through this summer, and now I get the end of the story.

Does anyone else just read ordinary books? Fiction?
I love to read.
i do, but ordinary books are like junk food. i try to find ones that have a little bit of historical fact in them, but i will read whatevers around.
i try to alternate between heavy reading and something light.

Cintra

Star
i do, but ordinary books are like junk food. i try to find ones that have a little bit of historical fact in them, but i will read whatevers around.
i try to alternate between heavy reading and something light.
Yeah. I like historical fiction that has a bit of research behind it, and is true to the period.
Also I like books set in places I know, or places I can go.

Thats why I enjoyed the saxons so much this summer. I was all over Wessex like a rash, walking barefoot on the green lanes in the foot steps of Alfred the not as Great as he thought he was.

I want to read the covid book that amazon has just banned.
Nothing like a prohibition to make something more interesting.

polymoog

Superstar

polymoog

Superstar
Thank you!

perloff:

COVID-19 and the Agendas to Come, Red-Pilled is currently available on Amazon. For those who wish to buy a copy, I suggest they do so promptly because, given the current state of censorship surrounding COVID, one never knows when things may change. I am already working with secondary sellers and backup printing services to ensure the book’s continued availability.

By the way, I realize (and understand why) some people prefer not to order from Amazon. As I publish this page (August 2020), only they have it. Later I will have my own copies in stock. However, I usually just do bulk book orders, as processing too many individual orders becomes very time-consuming. Power of Prophecy should have the book in stock for individual orders around September 6.

moog:

you can buy it here: https://www.texemarrs.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=catalog&Product_Code=bboa_covid_19_agendas

meximonk

Star
Like most schizophrenics ( :p ) I'm nearly always reading multiple books at once.
Right now,
"The Satanic Verses," by Salman Rushdie
"The Holy Bible," KJV
"The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha Volume One Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments," Edited by James H. Charlesworth
and
"The Illuminati Formula Used to Create an Undetectable Total Mind Controlled Slave," by Fritz Springmeier and Cisco Wheeler