What are the merits of being "Born Again"?

A person can't possibly become born again unless a person rejects their old religion/ belief system first.

We want you to "unbelieve" ............. and believe in Jesus Christ and be spiritually free indeed.

What are the merits of being "Born Again"? And what does the phrase even mean to you?
What makes a person who is "Born Again" different from someone who is "Not, Born Again"?
Can a person be "Born Again" and then suddenly not be "Born Again"?
What specifically does the Bible itself actually teach on this?
Do Protestants follow through on how the Bible defines it?
How does the phrase "Born Again" differ from the lingo of deadly cult psychology?
Is the phrase "Born Again" a helpful signifier in religious discourse? or could it be considered unhelpful?

Also, in what way are you "spiritually free" in comparison to me? how do you know that you are? and how would you know if you are more than me? or less than me? What would you describe "Spiritual freedom" as?
Why does this "spiritual freedom" require believing that God incarnated into the body of a man and died in 33AD?

These ARE serious questions.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
What are the merits of being "Born Again"? And what does the phrase even mean to you?
What makes a person who is "Born Again" different from someone who is "Not, Born Again"?
How does the phrase "Born Again" differ from the lingo of deadly cult psychology?
Is the phrase "Born Again" a helpful signifier in religious discourse? or could it be considered unhelpful?

Also, in what way are you "spiritually free" in comparison to me? how do you know that you are? and how would you know if you are more than me? or less than me? What would you describe "Spiritual freedom" as?
Why does this "spiritual freedom" require believing that God incarnated into the body of a man and died in 33AD?

These ARE serious questions.
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:3-5‬ ‭
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.​

That’s what makes a person different. Now God is working through them.

A person can fall away from the faith, yes. 1 Timothy 4:1..but I think I’m the only Christian here who thinks that.

It differs in that its by faith and not through works..you can’t work out your salvation with good works, its by belief in Jesus only.

Born again is Biblical.

I think its a big thing to have forgiveness of sins, honestly..that is freeing..I don’t have to work for forgiveness, I have freely been given it.

About Jesus dying for my sins...well it wasn’t me, or anyone I know who had to do that for me, its a free gift to have..that’s freeing too. I didn’t have to sacrifice an animal for my sins..I just had to believe on Jesus to be saved.

Edit:
Hebrews‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭
FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES, AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.​
‭‭ (emphasis is the Bible)

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
THE questions I believe deserve answering will be answered using the bible.
What are the merits of being "Born Again"?
Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
And what does the phrase even mean to you?
1 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Also, in what way are you "spiritually free" in comparison to me?
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

how do you know that you are?
Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

and how would you know if you are more than me? or less than me?
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

What would you describe "Spiritual freedom" as?
Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Hebrews 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

TokiEl

Superstar
I just had to believe on Jesus to be saved.
This is what christendom has become today.
That’s what it’s always been @TokiEl.
No that is not Christendom.

Luke 24 44Jesus said to them, “These are the words I spoke to you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about Me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms.” 45Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.

46And He told them, “This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and in His name repentance and forgiveness of sins will be proclaimed to all nations, beginning in Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things.

This is Christendom.

TokiEl

Superstar
Repentance reaps redemption.

Acts 17 30Although God overlooked the ignorance of earlier times, He now commands all men everywhere to repent. 31For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man He has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

John 8 10Then Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?” 11“No one, Lord,” she answered. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Now go and sin no more.”

That is a command !

Born again is Biblical.
I know that the PHRASE "Born Again" appears in the New Testament, I have read it.

What I am interested in here is seeing really what you Christians think the Bible actually defines being "Born Again" is and what it states about becoming this.

As evident by the rest of the questions in my OP, the phrase does imply too many more things if not well-defined. I am interested, this phrase gets thrown around a lot and I've seen different views from different forms of Christianity on what the phrase actually means. It is odd that before the 17th century it wasn't really a phrase used by self-identifying Christians in the same manner people such as you yourself attribute to yourself, it was seen as a term part of a larger whole (hence the surrounding verses of where it is mentioned in the New Testament have a lot of importance to this mystery).

So far I am seeing it's use by you in your post as being a synonymous term with both "forgiveness of sins" and "freedom". Would this be correct or false?

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Look, I understand all of the other quotes you linked but why was this verse the only one you linked that actually mentioned the phrase?

In this thread I am merely getting your interpretations ok, completely neutral questions.

Here is the entire passage from John 3 in which the context of that quote takes place:

Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
“How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”
Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
“How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.
“You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

My only question I want you to answer here is: for you to tell me what you interpret/believe Jesus means by the phrase "Born Again" within the context of this passage in John 3. :D
To answer my question you can go and quote any other parts of this passage in John 3 as you please to demonstrate to me your understanding of it. What I am asking in this post is very simple. Thank you and God bless.

JoChris

Superstar
Look, I understand all of the other quotes you linked but why was this verse the only one you linked that actually mentioned the phrase?

In this thread I am merely getting your interpretations ok, completely neutral questions.

Here is the entire passage from John 3 in which the context of that quote takes place:

Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
“How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”
Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
“How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.
“You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

My only question I want you to answer here is: for you to tell me what you interpret/believe Jesus means by the phrase "Born Again" within the context of this passage in John 3. :D
To answer my question you can go and quote any other parts of this passage in John 3 as you please to demonstrate to me your understanding of it. What I am asking in this post is very simple. Thank you and God bless.
John 3:16 is the answer to John 3:3.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Edit:
There was a time in the Christian's life when they did not believe in Jesus. A person has to become born again before they can believe in Jesus. Faith is a gift from God.

Believeth - verb archaic Third-person singular simple present indicative form of believe. Therefore A true Christian believes and KEEPS believing in Jesus.

For a full explanation:

Last edited:
John 3:16 is the answer to John 3:3.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

There was a time in the Christian's life when they did not believe in Jesus. When the Christian comes to ** believe** in Jesus, they are born again.

Believeth - verb archaic Third-person singular simple present indicative form of believe. Therefore A true Christian believes and KEEPS believing in Jesus.

For a full explanation:
Thanks.

Question: What in particular about these two verses do you see as of higher importance than other verses in the same passage from John 3?

Thank you again.

Phithx

Veteran
Agreed, it's a very serious question: life and death I'd say, and this is probably a God-guided thread-question, it is that serious I'd say.

So, thank-you for drawing attention to it; and those, probably, most-important-ever words that Christ spoke.

So here they are again (below); decoded very simply (James 3:17) - to me at least.

King of kings' Bible
John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water (human) and then is born (later) from above as his spirit-"Being" (his REAL self which is NOT human), he can NOT enter into The Kingdom of God (Who is a Spirit-"Being").
3:6 That which is born of the flesh is human; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit (a spirit-"Being") - (a human+Being).
3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and where it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The phrase "I'm only human after all" is literally the devils lie, and proof of being spiritually asleep. We are spirit Beings.

Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in "the dust of the earth" (Gen. 13:16; 28:14) shall awake, some to Everlasting Life, and some to shame [and] everlasting contempt.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
I know that the PHRASE "Born Again" appears in the New Testament, I have read it.

What I am interested in here is seeing really what you Christians think the Bible actually defines being "Born Again" is and what it states about becoming this.

As evident by the rest of the questions in my OP, the phrase does imply too many more things if not well-defined. I am interested, this phrase gets thrown around a lot and I've seen different views from different forms of Christianity on what the phrase actually means. It is odd that before the 17th century it wasn't really a phrase used by self-identifying Christians in the same manner people such as you yourself attribute to yourself, it was seen as a term part of a larger whole (hence the surrounding verses of where it is mentioned in the New Testament have a lot of importance to this mystery).

So far I am seeing it's use by you in your post as being a synonymous term with both "forgiveness of sins" and "freedom". Would this be correct or false?
What is it about this verse that you don’t understand?
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:3-5‬ ‭
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Yes, forgiveness of sins is freedom, not to continue to sin but to not live in guilt and shame. This next scripture is even more freeing...
Hebrews‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭
FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES, AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.​

Who else offers that complete a forgiveness of sins? But, then again only God, the real God can offer that.

I’m not sure about before the 17th century...was that the time when the catholics hid the Bible away from regular folk and deceived them about God’s word so they would have no choice but to follow catholocism? A man made religion.
‭‭

Lisa

Superstar
No that is not Christendom.

Luke 24 44Jesus said to them, “These are the words I spoke to you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about Me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms.” 45Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.

46And He told them, “This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and in His name repentance and forgiveness of sins will be proclaimed to all nations, beginning in Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things.

This is Christendom.

John‬ ‭3:16-18‬ ‭
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Acts‬ ‭16:29-31‬ ‭
And he called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas, and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved? They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.
I would say that Paul and Silas were just quoting Jesus..wouldn’t Jesus know how to be saved?

TokiEl

Superstar

John‬ ‭3:16-18‬ ‭​

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

‭​

Acts‬ ‭16:29-31‬ ‭​

And he called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas, and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved? They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.

I would say that Paul and Silas were just quoting Jesus..wouldn’t Jesus know how to be saved?
Believing in Jesus is a great benefit because believers want to hear Him.

And so there is an effort to take Him seriously and live righteously according to His words.

Believe and live by...

I know a lot of christians today want to believe only and not live by... but that's not saving faith no not even faith.

Lisa

Superstar
Believing in Jesus is a great benefit because believers want to hear Him.

And so there is an effort to take Him seriously and live righteously according to His words.

Believe and live by...

I know a lot of christians today want to believe only and not live by... but that's not saving faith no not even faith.
To be saved..starts with faith, n’est pas?
Hebrews‬ ‭11:6‬ ‭
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.​
‭‭

TokiEl

Superstar
To be saved..starts with faith, n’est pas?
Hebrews‬ ‭11:6‬ ‭​

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.​
‭‭
Believe and live by.

Faith without works is dead. It's not faith at all.

A Freeman

Superstar
"Believing" IN God was NEVER enough.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils (liars) also believe, and tremble.

We were to get to KNOW Father (God) and The Master (His Anointed One - The Messiah/Christ/Mahdi - sent to be our Master/Teacher). The more we get to know Them, the more we are reshaped into Their Image/Likeness.

John 17:3 And THIS is Life Eternal, that they might KNOW Thee the ONLY True God, AND Christ the Saviour, whom Thou hast sent.

The term "born again" today is thrown around by many so-called Christians, as if it's some sort of "get out of jail free" card they were rewarded with for joining one of Satan's churches/temples/synagogues/mosques, etc.

For one to be TRULY "born again" as their true, SPIRITUAL self, something must die first: the ego/"self" that is attached to the human (serving one's own selfish desires). One MUST realize that they are NOT the human-animal that they see in the mirror; but rather the spirit-Being/Soul INSIDE of that human-animal body that was intentionally placed inside of that body to learn to control it in every situation, at all times. We must learn to be in perfect control of these bodies just as Christ (the Spirit-Being/Son of God) was in perfect control over the Jesus (the human son of Mary/Son of Man).

MORTAL Humans have their own separate lives and agendas. They are born here on earth and die here on earth, and exist to serve themselves at the expense of everyone and everything else. Their existence is strictly about self-preservation, pleasure and power. That's why ALL humans fear almost everything, particularly death.

IMMORTAL Spirit-Beings are supposed to be learning how to put everyone else's needs above their own by serving the greater, common good as defined by our Creator, in His Perfect Law of Liberty. This requires discipline, obedience and true love one for another (spiritual NOT physical), all of which are completely foreign concepts to humans.

TRUE Faith, which eliminates all fear, requires and goes hand-in-hand with good (Godly) works (see James 2:17-26). If someone really knows they are NOT human, and thus cannot die, then there is no fear of human death, which is just shedding the human body that is temporarily being used, for whatever Father (our Creator) has in Mind for us next [with the certainty (Faith) that Father always knows best].

For those genuinely interested in taking the first step into the much larger, spiritual world, you'll need The Key, and the physical means to retake control of the body (Matt. 4:1-11), so you are using it (the body) to DO Father's Will instead of it using YOU (the spirit-Being) to do its own selfish will (Satan's will really).

This is the place very few are willing to go, exactly as Christ warned it would be (Matt. 7:13-14, John 3:19-21).

Lisa

Superstar
Believe and live by.

Faith without works is dead. It's not faith at all.
True..but God is the author of our works when we believe...
Ephesians‬ ‭2:10‬ ‭
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.​
‭‭
Otherwise..
Isaiah‬ ‭64:6‬ ‭
For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.​
‭‭