What and why, we believe

To quote Red Sky at Morning:

What we believe and why we believe it are perhaps the most fundamental questions we should honestly be asking ourselves.
Why do we believe what we believe? what authority to we base it of? what is our epistemology for verifying the spiritual and/or scientific truth that we perceive to inform our worldviews? How do we know we are right or wrong? why should we be in strong opposition to skepticism in our process of working out these questions? if we don't have answers to these questions then how do we justify our beliefs?

DevaWolf

Veteran
Is there a true belief? Are all beliefs true? Or is there one true belief and the rest are false?
There is not 'one true belief' as there is not 'one true color blue'. It is a spectrum, like everything else. The one true belief, is somehow always something thats suits the follower perfectly.

Lisa

Superstar
There is not 'one true belief' as there is not 'one true color blue'. It is a spectrum, like everything else. The one true belief, is somehow always something thats suits the follower perfectly.
Why can’t there be one true religion? The existence of multiple religions doesn’t negate the fact that there is one true one. One must wonder why there are so many in the first place? Are they trying to cover up that there is only one true north?

Are any of them like Christianity? A continuing story of a Jewish God? God who has a Son. Who sent His Son to save the world from their sins. That whoever believes in this Son shall be saved no good works required for salvation. That there is a punishment for sins and that punishment is eternity in a lake of fire..that’s so horrible that there is weeping and gnashing of teeth there. That in believing in God’s Son we are reconciled to God the Father and can have a personal relationship with God.
Christianity says there are so many other religions to deceive people away from the one true God...deceive people into not believing and therefore joining the devil in the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth for eternity.

Is there any religion like Christianity? Ya some borrow the name of Jesus to try to give them credibility but they don’t make Him a God who on His own sacrifices Himself for us do they?

Do other religions tell us why we humans have such tough lives, why everyone is super messed up? Or is it all about us working our way to being good enough for god? A god who created us and wants us to be perfect for him/them when that’s not a possibility for us? Yet the Christian God says I know you can’t do it on your own so I will die for you and I will help you.

Todd

Star
Why can’t there be one true religion? The existence of multiple religions doesn’t negate the fact that there is one true one. One must wonder why there are so many in the first place? Are they trying to cover up that there is only one true north?
There is absolute truth to who God is and what he is. But it's not likely that there is one true perfect religion. Some religions may be closer to the truth than others, but to hold the view that one religion is 100% correct and every other religion is false is naive. In the Bible it's clear that man's concept and understanding of God is incomplete and often misguided. Even the greatest hero's of the Bible all had incorrect ideas and concepts about God and those ideas led them all to be fallible and prone to mistakes. Why would you think 2000 or more years latter we would be any better at completely understanding God and have arrived at the perfect religion?

The true test of any religion is whether it produces Godly fruit in the person practicing that religion. Otherwise what really is the point? To believe that our eternal destiny is completely dependent on picking the right religion and nothing else is a rather immature and childish idea.

I would say mainstream Christianity in the the United States has a rather poor record in the last 50-75 years. Yes there are many lives that have been totally changed for the better by Christianity, but for every truly changed life for the better there are just as many examples of hard, unloving, judgemental or hypocritical Christians.

My personal sample size of Isalm is to small to come to any real conclusions, but the few Muslims I know presonally have a measure a fruit in their life from their faith. Same with Judasim...my sample size is small but the ones I know appear to be hard hearted and not that loving to the world around them, but only loving to their fellow Jews.

The people I know who claim to embrace Buddist beliefs just seem like decent people who feel that Buddism is the best reflection of their values, but I can't say I personally know of anyone who is a changed person or a better person for embracing Buddism. My very limited exposure to the culture and people of India tells me something similar about Hinduism. (The company I work for built a plant in India 2 years ago. I spent a week in India and interact with our employees from India somewhat regularly).

The bottom line is I presonally have no need to judge or condemn any other religions. The faith I have in the God that Jesus Christ taught and pointed to, is the faith that has produced fruit in my own life and I have personally seen other lives changed by sharing and teaching what I know. So at this point while I question and change any beliefs and doctrines I don't see producing fruit in my life or the lives of other Christians, I have peace that there is truth in the gospel of Jesus Christ. It certianly doesn't mean I believe the current manistream version of Christianity is the perfect, correct or true religion.

In the ages to come we will all learn the perfect and pure unadulterated truth about God. Until then I trust God to lead me and produce fruit in my life and yes I happen to use the Bible as the main inspiration for understanding and learning more about him and the Messiah, Jesus Christ, that he sent.

Lisa

Superstar
to hold the view that one religion is 100% correct and every other religion is false is naive.
I don’t think it is naive, but it is very smart to discern that. I think that its naive to think that all religions are valid, how could that be?

Todd

Star
I don’t think it is naive, but it is very smart to discern that. I think that its naive to think that all religions are valid, how could that be?
I didn't say all religions are valid....

A question I'd like to pose to @Axl888 is that if you are entirely opposed to logic, reason and rationality then how to you justify having beliefs at all? (whatever they are)

Surely you have reasons for being a Christian, especially when making truth claims.