Vegetarianism/Veganism and the Bible

SkepticCat

Veteran
More and more people are turning to plant based diets. Many do so because they find the slaying of animals cruel and/or meat consumption abominable. But, what is the truth of the matter and what is the biblical point of view on the issue?

Scripture passages related:

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. (Genesis 9:3)

But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat. (Genesis 9:4)

Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat. Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you. These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: (Leviticus 11)

But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. Now God had brought Daniel into favour and tender love with the prince of the eunuchs. And the prince of the eunuchs said unto Daniel, I fear my lord the king, who hath appointed your meat and your drink: for why should he see your faces worse liking than the children which are of your sort? then shall ye make me endanger my head to the king. Then said Daniel to Melzar, whom the prince of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink. Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king's meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants. So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days. And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king's meat. (Daniel 1)

[Pulses are edible dry peas, beans, lentils and chickpeas. They fall under the legume family, but the word “pulse” specifically refers to legumes that are grown and harvested for their dry seed and grown as food. So pulses include lentils, chickpeas as well as split peas and beans like kidney bean or navy bean.] - https://nourishedkitchen.com/whats-a-pulse/

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. (1 Timothy 4)

---

Other points of view [in favor of veganism]:

bnwVoujfJnJ9_800x800_G97J2gYQ.jpg

f4d5cb23f024ced4b26e594b808348c5.jpg

1349b13c6a9dd0cc7eb668433bbe1897--the-matrix-wake-up.jpgbattery-picture.png

"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a computer-generated dream world built to keep us under control in order to change a human being into this.”

"Combined with a form of fusion, the machines had found all the energy they would ever need. There are fields, Neo, endless fields where human beings are no longer born - we are grown."

-

Mark Passio:

PASSIOOCCULTISM.jpg

carnism.jpg

I hereby declare this discussion opened!

Last edited:

UnspokenSoliloquy

Established
Just my opinion, eating meat is fine. The Biblical restrictions on the types of meat do have some medical benefits. I think the problem lies in our overconsumption and instead of acknowledging the overproduction and consumption and additives added to everything we blame the thing itself. I was born outside the US and as a kid, there was a chicken farmer that lived on our land. I witness him chop off the heads of chicks and them chasing me with their heads cut off...didn't stop me from eating chicken. The type of animals eaten is cultural. My culture favors chicken, goat, and fish and one of our main snack food had beef. I never had a hamburger until I came to the US. Back them food from the earth was prized and "junk food" wasnt a thing, the average plate had a combo of meat, carbs and veggies. Alot of the "Superfoods" that are being marketed today are things we've been eating for hundreds of years, that's why I feel like it's a marketing scheme to jack up prices.